Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

California Misconceptions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: California Misconceptions
    Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 4:46am

Has to be the most arrogant, douchiest, self-absorbed commercial I've seen in a while.
Sponsored Links

Grafton View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grafton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 6:59am
All those commercials are like that, makes me think the people three are all smug too.
Meh...
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 8:18am
Yup. I hate all those types of ads. Every state has them, but some are worse than others.

That bridge on the coast is in a very beautiful area, on the coast Highway One south of Monterey. That long drive from Monterey to Morro Bay is one of my favorites. And from Monterey to Half Moon Bay is almost as nice.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

That bridge on the coast is in a very beautiful area, on the coast Highway One south of Monterey. That long drive from Monterey to Morro Bay is one of my favorites.

Breathtaking!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 2:23pm

They forgot to show the gangs.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 10:14pm
Absolutely do not like those misleading commercials.
I used to have a few offices in Caliwhorenia...lots of BS in those commercials; wanna see how they roll? They cannot even afford to keep their own very bad illegal immigrants in jail, much less their own very bad. They keep forgetting to tell you how to get away from there, or how cheap the hospitalization is, once you get mugged, robbed, and raped...at Disneyland.

Took me a while to 'close of shop'...I can't wait to invest in the Pacific Nevada coastline...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 3:10am
I've seen enough California ads to know what you're talking about. They're all smug douche bags saying whatever the f**k they want. Stupid stupid stupid campaign I can't believe Betty White fell for this crap. Stupid.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 4:58am
That scene of the girl on the beach in front of the Golden Gate Bridge musta been shot that weekend in September when it was sunny and warm in SF.  I was there that weekend with visitors from NJ who couldn't understand why it was 90 degrees out (and about 100 degrees inside) and the hotel had no A/C.

My bro knocked on my door after we all checked in and was panic-stricken.  He couldn't believe there was no A/C.  I tried explaining, but at $170 per room, he wasn't going for it.

But, at least where I live, it's sunny and warm all summer.  By summer, I mean April through October.  I was over in Folsom in October, and nearly passed out from the temps.  And that was in the morning.  Except for the occasional heat stroke, I love it.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 9:19pm
Trip to west coast on my bucket list.  But I don't think I would want to live there.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

Trip to west coast on my bucket list.  But I don't think I would want to live there.
LOLMy sympathies...hopefully it is one of the LAST things on the 'bucket list'...may it be the best of all events.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by lkl005 lkl005 wrote:

to each their own, but I've pretty much hit every corner of this country as part of my job, & California would not be near the top of my list to go back.  San Fran / Napa Valley IS nice, but I don't like LA.  It's not really a big city, it's a ton of little towns that all ran together, tons of traffic, takes an hour to get from one place to another, and basically no mass transit. 

I'll go to NY or Boston before CA 10 times out of 10..
Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 1:04am
I am a native Oregonian. I lived in Southern California for 3 years in the mid 1970's. I always thought that if it wasn't for the smog, overcrowding, and traffiic it would be a great place to live Actually it was a lot of fun for a 21 year old! There was always something to do and housing and utilities were really cheap. What really disturbed me was that the dream of most Southern Californian's was to move to Oregon. From my experience, when Californians move to Oregon the first thing they want to do is make it more like California!
Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 4:21pm
Video has been removed, darn it. I would have liked to see it. I visited CA in 1982, which is a lifetime ago for some people. I liked it, has a totally different "feel" from the East Coast, where I liv
e.
 My cousins made me laugh about the temps, though. Here when the temp is 60, we open up the windows. There, when it went down to 60, they'd turn on the heat. LOL

One thing that always boggles my mind is that CA has about 11% of the total US population, which means that about 1 out of every 9 Americans lives in CA. Really something to think about...
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 7:43pm
California would be a great place - were it not for the Californians (specifically, ultra-smug liberal types).
TheBoomMan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBoomMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 9:39am
Screw this. I would rather go to Iraq than go to the place that the commercial is telling me to go.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Stacy Stacy wrote:

Video has been removed, darn it. I would have liked to see it.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

California would be a great place - were it not for the Californians (specifically, ultra-smug liberal types).

They're almost ALL ultra smug, liberal or conservative.

Many of them act like just living or having lived there, makes them ├╝ber kewl by default.

I think it has something to do with the TV & movie industry being located in their state.

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 3:42pm
I was turned off the second I saw the Kardashian cow at the beginning.

Anyone notice the title of the book she was holding.

(Note that I didn't say "reading".... LOL)

TV_Casualty View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV_Casualty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I was turned off the second I saw the Kardashian cow at the beginning.

Anyone notice the title of the book she was holding.

(Note that I didn't say "reading".... LOL)

LOLLOLLOLLOL

That is hilarious! She probably thinks "Quantum Physics" is a person.

Rantalicious View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rantalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 3:46am
Native Californian here.  Born and raised in the San Fernando Valley.

The commercial is supposed to attract tourism by making CA look glamourous, hence the use of douchey showbiz/sports/government types.  So, yeah, it is a really stupid, self-absorbed commercial.

I just don't get why all the hate is being directed at the people who live here, instead of the commercial.  CA is a big state, made up of lots of different areas.  The locals in the mountains are nothing like the locals in L.A., who are nothing like the locals in the Valley, who are nothing like the locals in the desert communities.  You know...much like EVERYf**kINGWHERE.  Most of us are just doing what everyone else in the other 49 states do, i.e., live regular daily lives.

And for the record...the worst of the worst "Californians" are the imports from everywhere else.  You won't find many natives.

I like it here, but not as much as I did growing up.  Maybe if most of the out-of-state transplants would leave, I wouldn't want to relocate so much.

Smile
Every time a bad ad hits the airwaves...the terrorists win!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 1:00pm
I'm one of those transplants.  If it wasn't for the weather and the fact that I have friends and a house here, I might've un-transplanted myself years ago.  I love the heat, blue skies and complete lack of humidity. 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Rantalicious Rantalicious wrote:

Native Californian here.  Born and raised in the San Fernando Valley.

The commercial is supposed to attract tourism by making CA look glamourous, hence the use of douchey showbiz/sports/government types.  So, yeah, it is a really stupid, self-absorbed commercial.

I just don't get why all the hate is being directed at the people who live here, instead of the commercial.  CA is a big state, made up of lots of different areas.  The locals in the mountains are nothing like the locals in L.A., who are nothing like the locals in the Valley, who are nothing like the locals in the desert communities.  You know...much like EVERYf**kINGWHERE.  Most of us are just doing what everyone else in the other 49 states do, i.e., live regular daily lives.

And for the record...the worst of the worst "Californians" are the imports from everywhere else.  You won't find many natives.

I like it here, but not as much as I did growing up.  Maybe if most of the out-of-state transplants would leave, I wouldn't want to relocate so much.

Smile

Don't feel too bad, my home state of Florida gets abused in much the same way. Not here in this forum, but on others. And I defend it on the exact same basis you defend Ca. on. I just tell them to stop sending us THEIR idiots.

Got into a good insult war over it with a couple of jerkwads just yesterday, aamof... LOL Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic