Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dumbest thing in your house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dumbest thing in your house
    Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 12:32am
It's a tie, in my apartment.

The microwave.
There's a clock on it, like most microwaves.
If you're in the kitchen, and want to know what time it is, you glance at the microwave.
So since we moved here, I keep looking at the microwave and instead of a clock it says END.
This is because when you retrieve your food from this microwave, END stays on the screen indefinitely unless you press off/cancel.

Whose dumb idea was that?
It should only say END until you open the door to get your food.
When you open the door, END should go away and you should have a clock.

Right now it just says END forever, just to let you know that food was made at some point in the past.

As mentioned before, the AC.
The condensation drain goes, not into the pipes, but through a hole in the ceiling, dripping into the bathtub. Hello? The bathroom pipes are four feet to the left. Home Depot is two blocks away and they sell pipe.
I have filthy water dripping into my tub for what reason?

What stupid thoughtless flaws are in your home?
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 1:52am
That's too stupid, Nathan.  What were they thinking?  Didn't anyone test the design, and notice that flaw?

Similarly...
My DVD remote sucks for a number of reasons.  One of them is that, to get the DVD to play, I have to hit "PLAY" and then "ENTER". 

Also, I have to go to the player itself, and hit "OPEN" three times to get it to actually open.  But I think that one has more to do with a malfunctioning remote than it does poor design.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 2:12am
I would have to say my sprinkler system wins for my house. I can't set it to water with any specific time pattern because apparently it will just water whenever it wants to if I don't leave it off when I don't want it to be watering.

I discovered this about a month ago when I set it to water every other day during the evening. I had it water that evening that I set it, and I expected it to water next two days later. When I woke up the next morning, it started watering again. I thought at first that I hadn't set it right, but I looked at the instructions, set it again for evening, left it, and it started watering again in the afternoon, which is utterly ineffective here as the water will just evaporate immediately... Angry
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by ForumAdmin ForumAdmin wrote:

As mentioned before, the AC. The condensation drain goes, not into the pipes, but through a hole in the ceiling, dripping into the bathtub. Hello? The bathroom pipes are four feet to the left. Home Depot is two blocks away and they sell pipe. I have filthy water dripping into my tub for what reason? What stupid thoughtless flaws are in your home?

Nathan, I'd be concerned about contracting Legionairre's Disease. (I probably butchered the spelling) but that sounds downright unhealthy AND unsanitary. That's just wrong!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 2:54pm
The dumbest thing in my house (as far as the uses it's put to) at any given time is a cell phone, but not mine. Instead, any cell phone I'm dumb enough not to make the owner "check at the door." 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 8:18pm
I bought a Swiffer years ago.  Waste of money.  It's still hanging in the garage.  Anyone want it?  I'll throw in my cordless leaf blower with it.  Your kitchen floor will be slightly cleaner, and you might get enough juice to blow the leaves from your front steps. 

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 8:29pm
When they built this complex, they never roughed in for a living room ceiling fixture even though there is a double switch when you come in the front door. One is for the outside light
and I've never figured out just what the second one does.Confused
If you  plan on getting home after dark, its best to leave a light on inside.   
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 2:11am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

When they built this complex, they never roughed in for a living room ceiling fixture even though there is a double switch when you come in the front door. One is for the outside light
and I've never figured out just what the second one does.Confused
If you  plan on getting home after dark, its best to leave a light on inside.   

Is there a plug near the wall switch, Tiz?  I have a bedroom that has a switch but no ceiling fixture, also.  It was a while before I figured out that the nearby wall outlet is switched, and that if I plug a lamp into the wall outlet, I can turn the lamp on or off via the wall switch.

I have another one of these in my entranceway.  Three switches.  One operates the outside light.  One operates the foyer light.  And the third operates the wall outlet.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 3:16am
I've had a switch on my wall that never does anything.  I assume it's just not connected.

Funny, though, every time I flip it, my neighbor screams.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 3:56am
My TV set.

Some of the dumbest sh*t I've ever heard comes outta that thing.

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 5:50am
This whole thread sounds like a Newlywed Game question. And yes, I mean that as a compliment.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 11:48am
"What's the first thing you touch in the morning?"

"Where's the strangest place you've had sex?"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

"Where's the strangest place you've had sex?"

They don't have sex.  They "make whoopie".

Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2010 at 2:50pm
I use to hate "cute" euphemisms like "make whoopee" (except in those ' 20s songs and a few other places). But as I've said on other threads, that was BEFORE people started using such incredibly LITERAL sexual talk, like they were reading it out of a textbook. So now the earlier Newlywed Game (I'm guessing the recent one is very, very different) seems like the most imaginative thing in the world to me. So thank heaven for Bob Eubanks' "whoopee sessions" and Chuck Berry's "ding-a-ling." 
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 2:52am
These Green Giant Just For One containers they keep falling out of the refrigerator really stupid stuff.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I've had a switch on my wall that never does anything.  I assume it's just not connected....
ConfusedI really wish I had one of those...think I'll save up for one - that would be fun to play with when I have nothing to do...I like 'simple'. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 3:07am
Let's see......track lighting in the living room that is never, ever used! a toaster that you have to press three times to get the bread to stay down.
MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:44am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

My TV set.

That's nothing.  Just wait until you turn it on.... LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

My TV set.

That's nothing.  Just wait until you turn it on.... LOL

Like..... wow, man......

I never thought of doing that...... Wacko

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 5:26pm
I have 8 outdoor faucets on my property.  I use maybe 3, so 8 seems like overkill.  But it's better than the 1 that my folks' home had.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I have 8 outdoor faucets on my property.  I use maybe 3, so 8 seems like overkill.  But it's better than the 1 that my folks' home had.

I think the ones on the outside of the house are normally referred to as "spigots".

Faucets are inside on your sinks & lavatories.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 4:09pm
We have this ugly light fixture off center on a wall in our living room. Most ridiculous, useless waste ever. We can't remove it becaue that would leave a hole in the wall. And it isn't our house (house provided by Beloved's boss) but man, if I could take a sledgehammer to it, I'd be happy.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 8:35pm

I think the ones on the outside of the house are normally referred to as "spigots".

Faucets are inside on your sinks & lavatories.

Yeah, I was trying to think of that word.  All I could think of was water source, water outlet, bib and faucet.

And, by the way, "lavatory" is where we took our leaks in Catholic school.  That's what Sister Crecension called it, anyway.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 8:37pm
Whenever I open this thread, the first thing I see is the title, and Nathan saying "It's a tie, in my apartment".

My first thought is "Why is a tie in an apartment dumb?  I have a bunch of 'em hanging in my closet."

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 8:40pm

Whenever I open this thread, the first thing I see is the title, and Nathan saying "It's a tie, in my apartment".

My first thought is "Why is a tie in an apartment dumb?  I have a bunch of 'em hanging in my closet."

THOR!!!!! I THOUGHT THE SAME EXACT THING! LOLLOLLOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic