Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What happened to all the real men?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlad The Impaler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happened to all the real men?
    Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 6:35am
OK, I'm realize this is the year 2008 and men gotta have feelings and wear pink shirts and all that bullcrap, but what ever happened to all the REAL DAMN MEN you used to see on TV and the big screen?

I mean, goddam. What ever happened to the John Waynes, and Robert Mitchums, and Steve McQueens, and Burt Lancasters, and Gregory Pecks (holy shiite, if that ain't a manly name I don't know what is), and Charles Bronsons, and Lee Marvins, and James Coburns!!!!

What The FU@K?

What the HELL ever happened to all the men in this world???? MEN who got the job done. MEN who figured they might be ugly as hell but didn't give 2 f*cks about it. MEN who didn't take sh!t from women, and stood up to other men in a fair deal.

We're stuck with watching Johnny Depp, Justin Timberlake, Ben Afflack, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Ashton Kucher, and countless other "Meterosexuals" who are apparently according to women: JUST GAY ENOUGH.

W H A T  T H E F U C k!!!!!!!!????????????????????
Sponsored Links

omegastar View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omegastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 12:33pm
I'm really tempting to speak but I'll try to use tame wordsEmbarrassed Ok, first of all, the media wants the majority of people to see what is popular right now, and the majority is women, who like to see the occassional feminized wussy male, because it makes people laugh. Now showing males as weak and females as strong on television somehow makes people laugh. Maybe some of the weird quirks of society perhaps? And as far as Men standing up to women, well let's just say that the days of Al Bundy and Married with Children are kind of over. Television is just a mere depiction of how society views the world as a whole. So now society kind of looks down on males and likes to show them on TV as effeminate, not gay.  Of course as people here probably know, the TV audience is of the lowest common denominator. The people who watch TV and movies these days want to see movies with the emasculated male because it's funny to them. And it sells too with the boy crazy pre teen/teen girls. The only reason I can think of is, men in general don't watch that much television anymore besides football or sports, definately not those new sitcoms and soap operas(well some males do, but most don't). In short TV is a whole lot less manly now, because the prime audience of TV is no longer manly men.  And as you say, the are no shows with REAL Men in them because REAL Men don't watch television anymore. They go on the internet nowApprove
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 2:46pm
For real men, watch our absolute favorite show:  Deadliest Catch on Discovery.  As Captain Sigvard Hansen so eloquently puts it, "Shut up and fish."Thumbs%20Up
Love endures all.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 4:04pm
Two and a Half Men seems to highlight the dichotomy between the real man (Charlie Harper) and the wussy man (his bro, Allen).  It's a sitcom, so both are portrayed as neurotic.

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 4:27pm
Nothing wussy about doctor House!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 4:48pm
Nor Leroy Jethro Gibbs.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Nor Leroy Jethro Gibbs.
House is the absolute favorite, but Gibbs (NCIS) is great, too...right behind Horatio Caine.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 10:09pm
Pa, I am with you on that.  I would love to see more John Waynes out there in the world.  I am 27 years of age and I like to think of myself of a real man, in the sense that I am the things that you mentioned.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by powerboy powerboy wrote:

Pa, I am with you on that.  I would love to see more John Waynes out there in the world.  I am 27 years of age and I like to think of myself of a real man, in the sense that I am the things that you mentioned.
A most gratious "Thank You", PB - I'm very relieved there are those such as yourself out in the wilderness - to take over, once the 'time calls' for it - all jokes aside - we're COUNTING on YOU!. 

Please continue to 'lead by example'.

Mucho Gracias. I'll buy you a f'n burrioto tommorrow, my friend! - SERIOUSLY (I think).

Uh...reach over there and gimmee a stinkin' Molson's Ice...and get one for  yourself - and let's sit down and talk...
You're a good guy.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
nickdawg View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 10:15pm
Glad to see Horatio.   Now there's a guy that kicks a--!!  

I also have to add Gary Sinise, Dennis Farina and Denis Leary.  
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2008 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by nickdawg nickdawg wrote:

Glad to see Horatio.   Now there's a guy that kicks a--!!  

I also have to add Gary Sinise, Dennis Farina and Denis Leary.  
Thanks, Nick - but - well, to ONE, they are simply 'follow-ons', per se - Farina gets a pass because of his WONDERFUL run on 'Crime Story'....
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 7:08am
Aww Pa, no need to buy me anything.  Just continue leading the way and fighting the good fight. Pa, you are a good man and one hell of a poster.  I am tired of seeing men wear pink shirts and hats.  Tired of there being no real men now in sports or movies.
Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 6:48am
But I read that pink was a manly color!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 11:58pm
You know, Ryan...for a period, a nice pink shirt was 'business-correct'...but, as with yellow, those days have passed. Also - Pink ties were in style for a while...again - that passed.

Some of us might have the understanding that Napoleon Bonaparte originally created the necktie so his soldiers always had a napkin. Just like buttons on the sleeve were his answer to keep his soldier from wiping their noses on their sleeves....

Having said THAT, well...screw ties and suitcoats, thank you. 
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 12:57am
The only pink I own is what I was born with.Wink
One of my favorite John Wayne movies is DONOVAN'S REEF.
Just for fun (if any of you guys know the movie) while watching today's actors, ask yourself if they would get their asses kicked if they went into Gilhooley's bar?

I love John Wayne movies.  I agree our generation is a shameful display at best.
Lee Marvin must be rolling in his grave.
was feeling nostalgic
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 2:43am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

You know, Ryan...for a period, a nice pink shirt was 'business-correct'...but, as with yellow, those days have passed. Also - Pink ties were in style for a while...again - that passed.

Some of us might have the understanding that Napoleon Bonaparte originally created the necktie so his soldiers always had a napkin. Just like buttons on the sleeve were his answer to keep his soldier from wiping their noses on their sleeves....

Having said THAT, well...screw ties and suitcoats, thank you. 

Sure, Pa...I remember that.  I had a few pink work/dress shirts myself.  Never gave it a second thought.  I wonder why it's so incorrect now?  Why are guys suddenly so worried about wearing a pink shirt nowadays?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 2:58am
Originally posted by Vlad The Impaler Vlad The Impaler wrote:

I mean, goddam. What ever happened to the John Waynes, and Robert Mitchums, and Steve McQueens, and Burt Lancasters, and Gregory Pecks (holy shiite, if that ain't a manly name I don't know what is), and Charles Bronsons, and Lee Marvins, and James Coburns!!!!

Uhhh.... I think all those guys are dead. Dead

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 5:48am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Sure, Pa...I remember that.  I had a few pink work/dress shirts myself.  Never gave it a second thought.  I wonder why it's so incorrect now?  Why are guys suddenly so worried about wearing a pink shirt nowadays?

Because it means you're some kind of pink donut eater.
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 6:15am
They do that sh*t because most women do the shopping  in the households, and they are trying to make women feel good by making fun of the dumb-ole-dad. If you'll notice, in the chick-flick movies the guys are wussified and wimpy, cause that's that they THINK women want. Some do, but others like a real man. I know my wife does. She likes it when I rip out the s-trap and fish out the lid to her eyelash brush, or when Igrab her and push her against the wall and give her a kiss for no f**king reason other than.....I love her, and she nealy faints!! LOL She likes that stuff. LOL 

Also notice in action movies, the guys are all testosterone and the women are little mice, (unless it's a woman heroine) so it's all about the intended audience and the precieved reactions.
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
LOL1955 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOL1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 6:40am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Uh, I like my men "stiff," but...ewwwwwwwwwww!
Love endures all.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Wild Starchild Wild Starchild wrote:

Also notice in action movies, the guys are all testosterone and the women are little mice, (unless it's a woman heroine) so it's all about the intended audience and the precieved reactions.

Kind of related: 
A free outdoor showing of Breakfast at Tiffany's was banned in Sacramento by city officials yesterday due to Mickey Rooney's portrayal of an Asian man in the film.  Asian-American activists had protested.  The movie was replaced by Ratatouille, with no concern over French-American activists protesting.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by LOL1955 LOL1955 wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Uh, I like my men "stiff," but...ewwwwwwwwwww!

So are ya tellin us ya don't enjoy havin a "nice cold one" every once in awhile?

Not even in the summer????

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 3:33pm

They're not ALWAYS cold, Jimbo.  My experience is that they're usually room temperature.  Unless you microwave them.  Then they warm up and get moist and supple again...if they're fresh enough, that is.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 3:43pm
So, uhhhhhh....... what exactly are you confessing to us here, Thor???

And what specific part are you talking about warming up, & why??

Because I don't think you could find a microwave large enough to accomodate an entire cadaver.

C'mon, man!
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 4:15pm
Horatio is a clown, with clown hair and a clown name to boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic