Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Maya Angelou

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Maya Angelou
    Posted: 28 May 2014 at 2:57pm

What a wonderful, inspirational writer.

RIP, Ms. Angelou.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 3:02pm

Just heard this
Seconds ago
On the radio
The radio
The airwaves
Where waves of air tell our stories
Stories of our lives
And our souls

I was getting ready to post about it
But you beat me to it

Alas!
RIP to Maya
Maya
Maya Angelou
Poet

We
Will
Miss
You

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 6:51pm
She was a staple of my life when I was growing up, I remember her black hair back in the 90s before it turned grey. I can't believe she's gone.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 7:00pm
What an amazing, inspiring person. She was a huge deal to me in my teenage years. I will really miss her.

Thank you so much for all you've given us, Ms. Angelou.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
insanity213 View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 5:50pm
Angelou is being honored tomorrow night before the Astros / Orioles Civil Rights game in Houston.  The honoring of her wasn't a last minute addition due to her passing, either.  She originally was gonna be in attendance for the pregame ceremony, but cancelled last week due to her ailing health.

Those of you who have MLB Network with your cable provider, the game is airing tomorrow at 8:00 EDT if you're interested in watching it.  The ceremony itself will actually probably start before then (maybe around 15 minutes before the hour) since first pitch is scheduled at 8:10.   I dunno for sure, but the ceremony itself might even air live on national news outlets, or ESPN.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 6:23pm
^ Thanks for that information, Insanity! I'll make a point to watch.

I was watching CBS This Morning today, and Gayle King said she had just received a signed book from her last week and called to thank her. She must have declined awfully fast.

I knew she was an actress, writer, singer but I must have forgotten she was also a dancer. What an amazing life. What an inspirational woman.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 6:48pm
I didn't know alot about her, but it's obvious she was an amazing woman.  RIP Maya.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 6:49pm
Cripes, I was wrong, well sort of Stern Smile  The honoring will be at a Luncheon at noon tomorrow, not before the game itself.  Pregame will feature pregame a couple musical performances by black artists, including the national anthem.  There surely will be a moment of silence for Ms. Angelou, but the actual event commemorating her along with Jim Brown & Berry Gordy is earlier in the day:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/astros-hosting-civil-rights-game-festivities?ymd=20140527&content_id=77026818

The news last night said it was going on 'before the game' which in essence is true, just not the "before" that I thought.
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 7:01pm
Banana!
BANANA!!
BANANA!!!
BANANA!!
Banana!
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insanity213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 7:15pm
^^ This tops the anchor who asked Samuel L. Jackson about his (actually Laurence Fishburne's) Super Bowl commercial earlier this year.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Papa Lazarou Papa Lazarou wrote:

I think she's mistaken Rosa Parks for Maya Angelou.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic