Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CDC Terrie Hall Smoking Kills

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cross Traffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CDC Terrie Hall Smoking Kills
    Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 2:51am
It is really necessary to shove this poor woman's face on our TV to scare people into not smoking? She kept smoking when she was going through treatments for oral cancer.

Sponsored Links

Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 12:01am
Adults are incapable of making their own decisions, of course.
So the government wants to help us make our own decisions, or, if that fails, make them for us.
"Sometimes we live no particular way but our own."

Like westerns? Check out my recently published e-book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KXLXA9Y
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 12:15am
That voice is as creepy as hell!  
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Dirtdog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 3:22am
So you're saying It is necessary
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 3:55am
It's kind of creepy they're still using her after she died. Are post-mortum contracts a thing?  And why did they have to show her after she morphed into that ET-shaped thing?
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 4:41am
Quote It's kind of creepy they're still using her after she died. Are post-mortum contracts a thing?

They probably gave her a carton or three of smokes up front for the rights....
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 2:02pm

I'm all for these ads.  If they get people to quit or never take up the habit, what the hell?

The ones I don't like are the second-hand smoke ones---like the one that shows someone smoking on their balcony and a bit of smoke travels up to someone else's balcony, into their apartment, through all the rooms and right into the lungs of a baby in its bedroom.  That's a bit over-the-top.  It also puts unrealistic fears into people's heads.  Second-hand smoke is a concern mainly when people live or work in homes or offices where there is heavy smoking consistently going on.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 5:17am
They are also scaremongering with third-hand smoke, meaning that if someone ever smoked in a room (even years ago), you're gonna die horribly from it.   Pot smoke residue is probably okay though....  LOL
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 5:39am
I quit smoking last November, without heed of these "scare tactics" commercials. I still say they are goading people to smoke, especially younger people who have the feeling of "immortality," and are even more likely to see these commercials as scare propaganda.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 11:53am
I have a good frend fighting lung cancer now - known him for many years. He has never smoked.
Very good family man.
Now he maintains an online journal about everything one goes through, from the first doctor's finding to date. He skips nothing.
Very good writer, his memoirs get hard to read, but harder to tear yourself away from.
It seems toally unfair.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I have a good frend fighting lung cancer now - known him for many years. He has never smoked.
Very good family man.
Now he maintains an online journal about everything one goes through, from the first doctor's finding to date. He skips nothing.
Very good writer, his memoirs get hard to read, but harder to tear yourself away from.
It seems toally unfair.

That is completely unfair.  Sorry to hear this, Pa. 
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

Miseryguts View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 9:50pm
It killed my old man at age 56. I can't remember ever seeing him without a cigarette in his mouth. Of course I took it up but quit 35+ years ago.

In the UK, they print gruesome photos on cigarette packets. There's a full-colour shot of a guy with half his head eaten away by a tumor and another of a guy with his jaw surgically removed.  

There's enough educational data out there now about what smoking can do to you so there's really no excuse but nicotine is a very powerful and addictive substance. I've never been addicted to heroin but I've heard that quitting smack is marginally easier that tobacco.
rope View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 3:04am
Definitely sad for any person to have to die such a painful death, but this is the reality of the decisions we make. I am a smoker myself, and I am fully aware of the consequences. I do intend to quit, but keep telling myself "tomorrow" or "next year". But make no mistake, I'm not delusional about what I'm doing. I don't think there's any smoker that's unaware of the health risks.

Once, in Walgreens, I was in line behind an older lady that had a tracheotomy and one of those voice boxes they use for speaking. I listed as she said to the cashier, in that robotic sounding voice, "2 packs of Doral please.". It was really pretty sad.

If some people are so stubborn that they don't give it up, even after obvious health problems like that, it goes to show that these ad's will barely make a dint in peoples decision making.
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:12am
Originally posted by rope rope wrote:

Definitely sad for any person to have to die such a painful death, but this is the reality of the decisions we make. I am a smoker myself, and I am fully aware of the consequences. I do intend to quit, but keep telling myself "tomorrow" or "next year". But make no mistake, I'm not delusional about what I'm doing. I don't think there's any smoker that's unaware of the health risks.

Once, in Walgreens, I was in line behind an older lady that had a tracheotomy and one of those voice boxes they use for speaking. I listed as she said to the cashier, in that robotic sounding voice, "2 packs of Doral please.". It was really pretty sad.

If some people are so stubborn that they don't give it up, even after obvious health problems like that, it goes to show that these ad's will barely make a dint in peoples decision making.

Extremely well put.

- Mark Twain

Xtreme2damax View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xtreme2damax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 12:07pm
Not everyone will develop cancer from smoking much like non smokers who haven't ever smoked or had direct contact with cigarette smoke can develop cancer. It all depends but it's a waste of time and money trying to scare smokers. My mom smokes, other people I know smoke and these scare tactic ads do nothing to influence them to quit or do anything to stop people from taking up the habit. It's all down to willpower, self control and not allowing yourself to be influenced. If someone genuinely wants to quit they'll do exactly that without these ads being shoved in their face. My father was a smoker for years and gave up the habit for good ten to fifteen years ago. No anti-smoking ads or aids helped him quit, he did it on his own.
BiffSpiff View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BiffSpiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 9:16pm
Xtreme-- fair comment, but I think the idea of the ads is to scare kids into never starting smoking.
tass View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 11:31pm
My son (20) had the same reaction seeing these ads, offended that they probably took advantage of her, grossed out that they would show that on TV, etc. 

Then he decided to quit smoking & hasn't smoked in about 3 weeks.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 11:49pm
Sorry, but I think these ads work.  Not on everyone all the time, but there are
people out there that these ads will have a positive effect on.
In my opinion that's worth it.

I'm sure this now dead woman did give them permission to use her images
after her death.
I think she just wanted something positive to come of her awful experience.

Miseryguts View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miseryguts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 11:51pm
The character I feel sorry for is Nathan, the Sioux Indian who died from inhaling second hand smoke. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 12:41am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Sorry, but I think these ads work.  Not on everyone all the time, but there are
people out there that these ads will have a positive effect on.
In my opinion that's worth it.

I'm sure this now dead woman did give them permission to use her images
after her death.
I think she just wanted something positive to come of her awful experience.

She'd been travelling the country advocating against smoking, for years prior to her death---at least since 2005, according to Wikipedia.  So, I've no doubt she approved these messages prior to her death.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic