Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercials You Hate !!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

They brought back Frute Brute and Yummy Mummy!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: They brought back Frute Brute and Yummy Mummy!
    Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 1:59am
These are two GM monster-themed cereals I missed out on as a kid, but they were at the store and I got to enjoy them recently.

All I can say is, most products I know that are re-introduced are usually not as good as they were the first time, so if what I tasted was any indication, these things must've been pretty DAMN good when they first came out - they were crazy to cancel them!

In any case, it's rare that one gets to take a meaningful trip back to their childhood and experience something just as good as they remembered!
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 2:43am

About a month ago, I got a box of the orange-flavored ones.  I forget the name.  I'll try anything orange-flavored.  I was kinda disappointed.  The orange-y goodness just wasn't there.

However, I can't speak to whether or not they were as good as they were when they came out originally.  I never had them when they first came out.

strifeknot View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strifeknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:33am
These are made differently now. I very distinctly recall the way Count Chocula tasted 30 years ago, and the chemical-filled cardboard pellets being sold under that name today aren't the same.
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:54am
Didn't Quentin Tarantino invent the names of those two cereals for a couple of his movies? I'm pretty sure in the scene from Pulp Fiction where Lance is eating cereal it's Frute Brute.

I had no idea you could actually buy them.

Edit: After a google search it turns out he was just using old boxes of the stuff filled with other cereals. He didn't make them up.
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 2:07am
Wow! I definitely want to try those again. I'm almost positive Yummy Mummy was the same thing as Fruit Brute. The former was available in the 80's, the latter in the 70's.

*EDIT* OK, after looking them up, 'Brute' now has a cherry flavor with name change to "Frute," and 'Mummy' now has an orange cream flavor. The original 'Brute' was fruit-flavored cereal
with lime-flavored marshmallows. The original 'Mummy' was fruit-flavored cereal with vanilla-flavored marshmallows.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 4:19am
Well, that really sucks finding out they changed the formula. Why? I guess I'll never know what they originally tasted like - and no, I'm not going to try ordering stale 20-something year old cereals off of ebay or whatever to find out.
MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 4:55am
^^ I've got an unopened box of Batman cereal if you ever want to try it.  LOL

The early 70's were the Golden Age of Cereal;  Loaded with sugar, the prizes were kick-ass, and the cartoony characters 'pushing' the stuff had character.   The 'nutrition nannies' have ruined it for kids now and forever.... <sigh>
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

^^ I've got an unopened box of Batman cereal if you ever want to try it.  LOL

The early 70's were the Golden Age of Cereal;  Loaded with sugar, the prizes were kick-ass, and the cartoony characters 'pushing' the stuff had character.   The 'nutrition nannies' have ruined it for kids now and forever.... <sigh>

The "cereal" part of these cereals used to be made from oat with the appropriate colorings/flavor but in more recent years that was changed to a different type of ingrediant. I don't like it nearly as much as the old kind. It's too soft and mushy tasting especially when milk is added. 

Frankenberry (the original) used to totally kick ass!  Boo Berry was like an urban legend. It was never stocked in any store our moms would go to but we all knew someone claimed to who know someone who ate it once   LOL
Bladeless View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bladeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 3:00am
double post
Bladeless View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bladeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 3:05am
I die a little every time I see someone get excited about these abominations... Here is the last thing I posted about them. Bottom line is they are nothing like the originals, may as well be another cereal. This goes for all of them.

Originally posted by Bladeless Bladeless wrote:

"I happened to buy some of these yesterday morning. Aaand they don't taste the same. Berry Berry Kix with marshmallows is the closest I can think of, the cereal bits are not sweet at all, and they have none of the strong fruity flavor of the originals. I wish there was a site that showed original ingredients and nutritional content of old 80s cereals. I know there is a database of old cereals."
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 6:23am
I noticed one of those "whole grain" stickers on the box, which seems to be the latest victory won by the "soccer moms" that killed all the fun out of children's cereal!

Now EVERY cereal must have "whole grain" in it it seems, whether it fits the taste or not!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 5:20pm

I die a little every time I see someone get excited about these abominations... Here is the last thing I posted about them. Bottom line is they are nothing like the originals, may as well be another cereal. This goes for all of them.

"I happened to buy some of these yesterday morning. Aaand they don't taste the same. Berry Berry Kix with marshmallows is the closest I can think of, the cereal bits are not sweet at all, and they have none of the strong fruity flavor of the originals. I wish there was a site that showed original ingredients and nutritional content of old 80s cereals. I know there is a database of old cereals."

The orange one I bought (Frute Brute?) was pretty bad.  I don't see anyone having liked it in its day.

Bladeless View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bladeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

The orange one I bought (Frute Brute?) was pretty bad.  I don't see anyone having liked it in its day.

you probably had yummy mummy. This new fruit brute is "cherry flavored". That's the point, these taste nothing like nothing like they did back in the day. For example, the cereal bits had a sugar coating on top of them, and had a completely different texture. They also had a strong flavor and coloring that could turn your milk the color of the cereal. This stuff is simply the same formula as kix, just with different colors and marshmallows...hell kix doesn't even taste like it did back in the 80s
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 1:28am

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

you probably had yummy mummy. This new fruit brute is "cherry flavored". That's the point, these taste nothing like nothing like they did back in the day. For example, the cereal bits had a sugar coating on top of them, and had a completely different texture. They also had a strong flavor and coloring that could turn your milk the color of the cereal. This stuff is simply the same formula as kix, just with different colors and marshmallows...hell kix doesn't even taste like it did back in the 80s

I did some research and they switched from using an oat-based cereal to a corn-based one. This is why it's softer and doesn't taste the same as the ones we had growing up. I don't like it either
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 2:51am
Why the heck do they keep changing the formula? That is so STUPID!

What is it with these health fascists, that have to control what goes into our food!?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 3:32am
No kids cereals taste the way they used to. I think the FDA made them all reduce the amount of sugar, thus ruining the childhood memories of super-sweet corn based products.

I bought some Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs a few weeks ago, remembering how much I liked them when I was younger, and they taste like fake peanut flavored cardboard now. If people want to indulge in sweet cereal, that's their business. Don't go ruining them because some idiots can't stop eating too much.

I normally eat either Raisin Bran, or plain Corn Flakes, but once in a while (especially late at night) I get a hankering for some Fruity Pebbles. Even those suck now. I don't want to go off on a rant, but do they really have to regulate food so that it doesn't taste good, just to make sure people don't become obese?

Stop eating too much, exercise, and you won't get fat. Simple as that.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 3:40am
Originally posted by jhiller21 jhiller21 wrote:

No kids cereals taste the way they used to. I think the FDA made them all reduce the amount of sugar, thus ruining the childhood memories of super-sweet corn based products.

bought some Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs a few weeks ago, remembering how much I liked them when I was younger, and they taste like fake peanut flavored cardboard now. If people want to indulge in sweet cereal, that's their business. Don't go ruining them because some idiots can't stop eating too much.

I normally eat either Raisin Bran, or plain Corn Flakes, but once in a while (especially late at night) I get a hankering for some Fruity Pebbles. Even those suck now.

That is a damn shame! I used to eat those as a kid! They tasted like Reece's peanut butter cups in crunchy sphere form. Another great childhood memory that kicked the bucket! Nuts!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 3:51am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

That is a damn shame! I used to eat those as a kid! They tasted like Reece's peanut butter cups in crunchy sphere form. Another great childhood memory that kicked the bucket! Nuts!

It seems like a lot of products are going in the same direction. Sacrifice a little bit of quality over a long period of time, and they can produce cheaper food that they charge the same amount (or more) for.

I remember when I was a kid Hersheys chocolate was pretty decent, now it has a slight waxy vomit taste to it. Companies do this slowly over time because if they change their products gradually enough, people don't tend to notice, and they keep buying them.

Well, I notice. I used to be a member of a survey panel that sent me free food products to test, and then paid me to tell them what I think. They would make slight changes to everyday food items, and see if people could tell the difference. It's a big money maker in the world of mass food production.
Bladeless View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bladeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:57am
Originally posted by jhiller21 jhiller21 wrote:

I bought some Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs a few weeks ago, remembering how much I liked them when I was younger, and they taste like fake peanut flavored cardboard now. If people want to indulge in sweet cereal, that's their business. Don't go ruining them because some idiots can't stop eating too much.

I normally eat either Raisin Bran, or plain Corn Flakes, but once in a while (especially late at night) I get a hankering for some Fruity Pebbles. Even those suck now. I don't want to go off on a rant, but do they really have to regulate food so that it doesn't taste good, just to make sure people don't become obese?

Stop eating too much, exercise, and you won't get fat. Simple as that.

true, none of the cereals taste the same, trix, fruity pebbles, golden grams, hell even frosted flakes isn't frosted any more...wtf? The funny thing is I noticed all of the "bad" cereals cap out at about 9-12 grams of sugar per serving....while plenty of the "healthy" cereal have the same amount of sugar.
MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:35am
I think all this 'healthy cereal' crap started with the Red Dye #2 scare in the 70's.  And the lowering of the sugar content (because it might counteract the Ritalin they were hooking kids on.... Wink LOL)
jhiller21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhiller21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:40am

true, none of the cereals taste the same, trix, fruity pebbles, golden grams, hell even frosted flakes isn't frosted any more...wtf? The funny thing is I noticed all of the "bad" cereals cap out at about 9-12 grams of sugar per serving....while plenty of the "healthy" cereal have the same amount of sugar.

I noticed once that Honey Bunches of Oats (which is marketed as an adult brand healthy cereal) has more sugar than Corn Pops and Frosted Flakes.

It's all about how brands are perceived by the consumer. They pay marketing consultants lots of money to figure out how to sell to certain demographics. Marketing is a pretty sneaky business.
Snesgamer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snesgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:14pm
Wow, this thread is a lot more depressing and revealing than I thought it'd be.

Someone needs to startup a cereal company, dig up the original recipes of the cereals (every single bit of goddamn sugar in them, as well!), then rebrand them to avoid legal trouble - so we can enjoy many of these cereals the proper way again!

You just have to ask - if all those soccer moms had so much energy to waste on policing cereal companies, why didn't they bother using at least a little at the grocery market telling their kids NO to those cereals instead of ruining them for everybody else?
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 6:30pm
I'm going to turn you all to the Dark Side.. with vanilla milk. It actually makes these half-bearable. Stick with small bowls, though. The second these cereals start to get the least bit soft, they get chewy-ish and sticky-ish.. regardless of milk type.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 4:17am
Originally posted by Snesgamer Snesgamer wrote:

Someone needs to startup a cereal company, dig up the original recipes of the cereals (every single bit of goddamn sugar in them, as well!), then rebrand them to avoid legal trouble - so we can enjoy many of these cereals the proper way again!
I once got ahold of a book of "Industrial recipes for cookies & crackers" (good if you have the machinery* and want to make quarter-ton batches Wink), and I'm sure there is one for cereal out there too (in fact, I think the title was listed in the back.)  Original recipes from the 70's might require some industrial espionage (unless you luck out finding it filed in a patent or something), as they aren't likely to be found on the 'net.  It all depends on how much effort you want to make to find the info, as the "industry" keeps that stuff "secret"....

* Needing a steam injector killed my dream of making those foam-like sandwich wafers Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic