Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: The Message Board :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shelter Pet Project ads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shelter Pet Project ads
    Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 4:28pm
There is a newspaper cartoon strip called "Mutts" that features animal characters, with the theme often times being about living in an animal shelter. It is a cute strip that raises awareness without getting too preachy.

There is also something called the "Shelter Pet Project" that has partnered with the author of the strip to make ads encouraging the adopting of pets from animal shelters.

While much has been said here at CIH about those weepy, depressing Sarah McLachlan ads that tend to turn people off & cause them to turn the ad off rather than listen or absorb the message, these ads seem to have figured out the right way to do it.

They manage to be both sympathetic & positive at the same time. Very well done ads.

I can't watch them without tearing up a little, but not out in a melancholy or morose way...

Olive:

Twins:

Andy:

Shemp:

Clap

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 4:43pm
I mentioned these a long time ago, but in an SPCA thread, I think.  I've only seen the cat ones.  Yeah, less depressing.

I wonder if those two cat buddies ever got adopted.  Maybe Dora the Explorer adopted 'em.  I hope so.  I hope Peter Griffin didn't get 'em.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 6:43pm
I'll take anything that may help get animals adopted but these are well done.

I ever since the cat-killing episode, I have detested Seth MacFarlane.  I'm sure many don't agree but killing and dismembering a cat whether real or cartoon is unneccessary.  I just don't see where it would be even really funny for any viewer, well, unless they were stoned, drunk, high, etc.  And where does a mind (MacFarlane) come up with an idea like that?  And, if he had used a dog to do that (oh no, they couldn't use a dog because the show's dogs walk on two and talk like humans) there would have been a much bigger stink raised than with the cats. Cats are second class citizens to dogs, right?  Ouch
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 11:01pm
Those were neat. The "twins" kinda remind me of my cat when everybody walked past her cage for a year and a half. "pick me pick me"

"Shemp" reminds me of my old dog Kramer.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 1:14am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

I ever since the cat-killing episode, I have detested Seth MacFarlane.  I'm sure many don't agree but killing and dismembering a cat whether real or cartoon is unneccessary.  I just don't see where it would be even really funny for any viewer, well, unless they were stoned, drunk, high, etc.  And where does a mind (MacFarlane) come up with an idea like that?  And, if he had used a dog to do that (oh no, they couldn't use a dog because the show's dogs walk on two and talk like humans) there would have been a much bigger stink raised than with the cats. Cats are second class citizens to dogs, right?  Ouch

I couldn't agree more.

Same with The Simpsons.

They are always bashing cats. Everytime one of those stupid "Itchy & Scratchy" segments come on I turn the channel until it's over. Even though I know they are making a statement about the old time violent cartoons where Sylvester or Tom (of Tom & Jerry) would always get flattened or something it is still too far over the top.

And the dog is always cast as the hero.

Say something to these idiots about it & they'll sneer at you... "It's only a cartoon!!!! Calm down!!!! No cats really got hurt!!!!"

Oh no??? How about all the little bastards who watch that sh*t & get ideas? And it's just the principle. There is no need to make cruelty to animals entertainment.

BTW... I am glad I didn't see that episode. I don't watch that show anyway. Too low brow.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 1:18am

So there was actually a cat-killing episode of Family Guy?  When I mentioned Peter Griffin, I just did so because I thought he'd probably be a bad cat owner.  I didn't know about any such episode.

I don't find animal-killings funny---ever.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 1:22am
I didn't even know who you were talking about because I've only watched that show like twice in my life.

Kinda stupid.

I don't like that whole "trashy humor" thing.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 1:32am
My neighbor's girlfriend hit and killed a cat on a busy street nearby last week.  He (my neighbor) was with her.  From the sound of it, they couldn't avoid it.  They stopped the car to help it, but it was too late.  My neighbor, who's a 37 y/o metal-head, cried like a baby, from what his gf told me. 

I'm glad I have neighbors who don't view cats as second-class.  The guy next to me has 2.  The guy across the street has 3 and 1/2 (Sneakers is his, but lives at my house).  I have 3 and 1/2.  My other neighbors have 5.  The family in back of me has several.  And these are just my most immediate neighbors; their neighbors almost all have cats, too.  We're all crazy about 'em.  It's been 3 months now since Capone disappeared, and people from the 'hood still ask me about him.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:06am
Pisses me off when I see people who live on busy thoroughfares let their cats run around outside.

Living back in neighborhoods a few blocks off the more heavily traveled roads is one thing, but letting them run around like that when you live on a major roadway, even just a two-lane 35 mph road, is a recipe for disaster.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:18am
^  One of my neighbs' cats, Bubbles, lays right out in the road at the entrance to the cul-de-sac.  Recently, we were outside when a car from the cul-de-sac came driving out.  The driver was going slow, but we shooed Bubbles back onto the sidewalk anyway, and thanked the driver for being so careful about the cat.

She replied "Oh, don't worry.  We've had this relationship for years".  LOL

I'm just glad my own cats don't do this, especially Rocco who blends right into the gray asphalt.  And I've actually seen Mal look both ways before crossing the street.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:30am
Yeah, one of my neighbors who moved some months back had a cat who would lay in the middle of the street.

Couple of them actually, right across the street from each other.

I would always hit my horn to hopefully scare them into not doing it anymore.

Also, the cat that got left behind by the rednecks I posted about, had kittens a few weeks ago after the people caddycorner across the street adopted her, then just a couple of days later, she apparently got pregnant again, according to the gal. As soon as the kittens were born I asked her if they were gong to get her fixed & she said they were, then they didn't. Something about the Humane Society having a 30 day waiting list. Said yesterday when she told me the cat was pregnant again, that the reason they let her out was because the cat refused to use the llittler box & incessantly begged to go outside. Don't know if I really believe that. I think this is the first cat she's ever owned & doesn't know how to handle them. They kept one of the kittens & she said this time they're getting her fixed. We'll see I guess. I hate the idea of them having to take more little kitties to the pound. Hopefully it'll be a small litter. The first one was five.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:45am
I keep pressing my neighbor's girlfriend to get her 1 y/o male, Indy, fixed.  She says "Yeah, I know" and then never does it.

Problem is, Indy is Rocco's bro, and lately he's been getting aggressive towards Rocco.  They apparently have no recollection of being brothers, so it's just one cat going after another.  I was hoping they'd be buddies but that just didn't happen. 

I don't necessarily think that neutering will make him less aggressive, but who knows?  At least he won't start roaming, as horny males do.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:52am
The cat who knocked up the neighbors cat belongs to some idiots about a block or two away & they're too stupid to get him fixed too.

Same cat who knocked her up the first time did it again.

I hate irresponsible pet owners.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:04am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

The cat who knocked up the neighbors cat belongs to some idiots about a block or two away & they're too stupid to get him fixed too.

Same cat who knocked her up the first time did it again.

I hate irresponsible pet owners.

Of all the cats I listed earlier, only one is female.  In fact, that one's the only female I know of in the area.  And she's fixed.  So at least there's a lack of hot-to-trot females for him to poke.

Besides, Indy's owners are moving out into their own apartment soon (they'd been living with his parents), and they're taking both their cats.  They'll now be indoor cats, so neutering Indy isn't that imperative. 

I dunno how that's gonna work out, though.  I know Mal would have a tough time having to become an indoor cat at this point.  When he's stuck inside due to foul weather, he becomes a real noodge.  Whine, whine, whine.  It's like he blames me for the rain.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:22am

When Buddy was dying I let him out in the back yard everyday. He was too weak to go anywhere, so he just found a nice shady spot in the grass & lay there. Hated to let him get covered in fleas, but I didn't dare put flea meds on him. Probably woulda killed him almost instantly.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:44am
Happy commercials, some thing that most animal PSAs are lacking.

It's nice to have something that doesn't make you cry and guilt you into something. It' refreshing.

Beautiful animation too. Thumbs Up
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 4:07am
^^ Yeah.

Those ads make me a little moist-eyed, but it's not from the ads being depressing.

They really make me feel for the animals.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 4:30am

There is a newspaper cartoon strip called "Mutts" that features animal characters, with the theme often times being about living in an animal shelter. It is a cute strip that raises awareness without getting too preachy.

There is also something called the "Shelter Pet Project" that has partnered with the author of the strip to make ads encouraging the adopting of pets from animal shelters.

While much has been said here at CIH about those weepy, depressing Sarah McLachlan ads that tend to turn people off & cause them to turn the ad off rather than listen or absorb the message, these ads seem to have figured out the right way to do it.

They manage to be both sympathetic & positive at the same time. Very well done ads.

I can't watch them without tearing up a little, but not out in a melancholy or morose way...

Olive:

Twins:

Andy:

Shemp:

Clap

Much better. Thank you.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:23pm

When Buddy was dying I let him out in the back yard everyday. He was too weak to go anywhere, so he just found a nice shady spot in the grass & lay there. Hated to let him get covered in fleas, but I didn't dare put flea meds on him. Probably woulda killed him almost instantly.

Sneakers is getting there.  Rickety and arthritic and weak.  Stays inside most of the time, but manages to stalk Mal and visit his other owner every day.  Sometimes I even see him several houses away.  I'm always glad to see that.  It means he can't be that bad.

Still, I'm relieved every morning when I go downstairs to feed 'em all, and there he is, waiting to chow down as usual.  I worry about the morning this doesn't happen.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:36pm
I'd love to take in an abandoned older animal from a shelter (I think it'd have to be limited to cats, at this point).  The likelihood of that became less when I got my kittens last December.  But they were feral and needed a home, too, so...

At least I know how to deal with introducing new cats to the others now.  Their only bad reaction when I got the kittens was to start spraying.  Now, they get along just fine.  I often see Mickey and Mal grooming Rocco.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 2:45pm
One good thing about Capone's disappearance was that, in talking to a guy in the next cul-de-sac, I found out that his yard is where Mickey's been disappearing to for sometimes entire days, for the past three years or so.  Seems Mickey and this guy's indoor female cat have been conducting a relationship through his living room window---with him on the outside and her on the inside, playing as much as they can with a pane of glass in between them.

I love that he has this other little life that I never even knew about.  Plus, now I don't have to worry about him so much.  On top of that, this neighbor now knows Mickey's not a stray.  So, as awful as was Capone's disappearance, at least I got this out of it.

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 9:22pm
This just briefly mentions the cat killing but the actual episode is pretty graphic (for a cartoon).  Once he kills it, then he has to dismember it to hide it, etc.  There are many forums and boards that discuss this one and people are usually very blase about it or very angry about it--obviously, I'm the latter.

122 :07x12 - 420

Apr/19/2009
Brian leads a protest to have marijuana legalized after Brian gets arrested for possession. Meanwhile, Peter accidentally kills Quagmire's pet cat.

Source: FOX
Guest Stars: Lori Alan as Diane Simmons | Chris Cox as Various | Ralph Garman as Various | Phil LaMarr as Ollie Williams | Kerrigan Mahan as Various (Voice from “As Good As It Gets”) | Danny Smith (1) as Various | Alec Sulkin as Various | John Viener as Various | Patrick Warburton as Joe Swanson | Adam West as Mayor Adam West
Director: Julius Wu
Songs: The Bangles -- Walk Like an Egyptian

A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 1:10am
I'd like to get the writers & producers of shows that pull crap like that alone in a room & find out just exactly what, if anything, goes thru their heads when they think that garbage up.

Then subject them to some "wall-to-wall counselling" to encourage them to never do it again.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 2:50pm

This just briefly mentions the cat killing but the actual episode is pretty graphic (for a cartoon).  Once he kills it, then he has to dismember it to hide it, etc.  There are many forums and boards that discuss this one and people are usually very blase about it or very angry about it--obviously, I'm the latter.

Apr/19/2009
Brian leads a protest to have marijuana legalized after Brian gets arrested for possession. Meanwhile, Peter accidentally kills Quagmire's pet cat.

I looked it up.  They certainly know how to cross lines.   

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 11:00pm

Apr/19/2009

Source: FOX
Guest Stars: Lori Alan as Diane Simmons | Chris Cox as Various | Ralph Garman as Various | Phil LaMarr as Ollie Williams | Kerrigan Mahan as Various (Voice from “As Good As It Gets”) | Danny Smith (1) as Various | Alec Sulkin as Various | John Viener as Various | Patrick Warburton as Joe Swanson | Adam West as Mayor Adam West
Director: Julius Wu
Songs: The Bangles -- Walk Like an Egyptian

IIRC they were planning to get rid of it because Quagmire was paying more attention to the cat rather than his friends. They were planning to shave it to get back at Quagmire but end up killing it. I found the exact moment on Youtube when the cat was killed but I'm a afraid it might be too graphic to post here. AAMOF I think Peter and his friends get pulled over by the cops and they have to explain away the bloody blanket. I believe I wasn't a fan of this episode, but I did watch the rest of it though.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic