Your donations pay for the CIH Forum hosting and software.
Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hollywood Needs To Evolve!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hollywood Needs To Evolve!
    Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:23am
Once upon a time, not to long ago, when one hears the word: "Hollywood" one immediately thinks of being on the silver screen or a famous singer/songwriter. Others would immediately think of every movie classic whether it be antique or a modern masterpiece, or a sitcom or even a game show. Enter the 2000's, where it became a moral cesspit where talent is frowned upon and reckless vulgarism and utter stupidity from mediocre musicians and actards are celebrated. Hell, even Rehab is an award, not an avenue of shame (which it should be) as it once was. Why do I think talent is frowned upon?  Take a good long look at the sh*tty films that infected our cinemas and multiplexes like an aggressive form of gangrene. Most of them are poorly-thought remakes and reboots instead of original ideas and completely coherent plots. As far as sitcoms/dramas/soap operas/music videos are concerned....they (along with any sanity, cohesion, human compassion) no longer exist on network TV.

Why? Where's the Hollywood that churns out ideas(whether its movies or music) that are original and made remakes that actually got to the point and entertained it's audiences? It's been bullied and attacked by of rabble of amoral, money-grubbing idolaters, who happen to be coke-freaks, pill-popping nutcases with the mentality of a 7-year old with severe ADHD! These people care more about making a sh*tload of green rather than a sh*tload of cinematic artistry. "Yeah that's one way to run a movie studio/record label; run it down into the f**king ground and get wicked pissed when someone downloads a movie/song from the internet" Grow up, you bastards! It's called "creativity" alright. A movie isn't some half-assed wet-dream of some man-child overblown with bullsh*t CGI  special effects, wooden acting, and a plot the size of a 4th grade book report with holes bigger than egos of their starring cast members.  Remember Akira, Transformers(the 1986 movie), etc? Even the cartoons on the big screen aren't immune, as they are 3d CGI models uglier than a reality show characters with even thinner plots. Speaking of the devil, these freaks (Producers) have dumbed down American society with the advent of that vulgar nuisance known as Reality TV with it's participants as moronic as well... an amoeba is smarter than them and leave at that. Hollywood is complaining about piracy, box-office bombs. To that end, Hollywood needs to evolve itself along it's products. 

Speaking of ugly and stupid, Hollywood hasn't joined the late 20th century much less the 21st. Conservatives and others would argue it's too liberal and too p.c.! Really? Here some reality for you! The movies never show a Black man kissing a White woman unless it a film about interracial love...never! Black men are never the leading character unless it's some whose a lighter-skinned brother like Will Smith or Cuba Godding Jr. They portray women as angst-ridden, catty, shallow salad-eating anorexic lunatics with a grudge. Women are not the women characters we all grew up with; normal sized, complex behaviors, coherent, and posses an intellect and more importantly...a soul. How's that for liberal? How's that for P.C.? This is where Hollywood needs to evolve more than anything. 

See Hollywood may not to be in sync with the likes of the GOP or the Family Research Council, but it's out of touch with it's audiences, musical talents of those who don't sound like a Wal-mart commercial. More importantly, and it's out of touch with reality. Why? This town thinks that the definition of beauty is a thin, bony white female, when there are Black, Hispanic, and India/Middle Eastern women just as attractive! Hollywood thinks that anyplace that isn't Manhattan, Beverly Hills, San Diego, or South Beach in Miami is a backassward cesspit that full of overweight Wal-Mart shoppers that hate a great many things. Things like: interracial love, homosexuals, science, dancing, and immigrants. Even Texans acknowledge things like solar power, wind power, hybrid cars, and local farms. Hollywood isn't liberal...it's that hipster asshole that pretends to be worldly and full of enlightenment. When in real-life it's childish rich bastard with a cocaine addiction who bases life on a Jerry Springer rerun and the 1915 hatefest "Birth of a Nation"! Evolve Hollywood! Stop trying to say intelligence is uncool, stop omitting minorities from leading roles, stop with the remakes, and spitting/sh*tting on rest of America! Grow the f**k up! Grow a pair of balls instead of a drug addiction!
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:34am
...oh yea - this is the 'off-topic' thread, right?
I got about three sentences into this blather and got lost...too deep for me.
F**k Hollywood - that's "entertainment" and offers little lasting value for humanity.
Bubblegum for the brain.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:13am
Write your Congressman!

MrTim View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:08am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Write your Congressman!

Isn't that a crappy reality show that stars the Kardashians...? 
Papa Lazarou View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:26am
I'd rather Hollywood devolve. Back to the days when celebrity deviancy was punished by studios that pretty much owned them, movies were good, and NOT over-made for the sake of money over quality.

Give me another Greta Garbo, a Greer Garson, a Gene Tierney, a Myrna Loy; give me another Nelson Eddy, a William Powwell, a Cary Grant. Give me the actors who only had scandels bubble up AFTER they died, not ten seconds after their film debut. Hell, Give me a Young Jack Nicholson, a Meryl Streep, a Maggie Smith, a Morgan Freeman [before he became a celluloid whore who'd even offer his voice to the most tragic and hideous abortion ever to be performed by the American Entertainment Industry [Of course, I'm referring to March of the Penguins, the piece of sh*t La March De L'Empereur was turned into so "American Audiences" could appreciate it])

Just for one brief period, I'd like to see an actor without scandel following their name, a Singer whose only gimmick is the way she interprets a song, a movie that isn't an inferior carbon copy of anything that garnered success before it. Just once, I'd like to believe I lived through something that could EVER hold a candle to the days when Hollywood meant something.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:30am
Hollywood has never "meant" anything.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:38am
The problem is not with Hollywood as much as I hate to say it, given how much I loathe it.

The problem is that the toadies & ass-lickers who populate the place are giving their audience EXACTLY what they want.

So, who is their audience?

Almost everything the entertainment industry produces is geared toward the 18 - 35 y/o demographic because it is a known fact that 18 - 35 is the age range in which people tend to spend money most freely, & they spend it on the kinds of products advertisers sell. Therefore, the advertisers now dictate what we see. And what is that? It's what 18 - 35 year olds want to see. IOW... crap.

The 18 - 35 group also tends to be the age range that goes to the movies the most, so movies tend to be geared towards them, too. 

Great news guys.... With the Air Hawk, flat balls are no longer a problem!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

So, who is their audience?

Almost everything the entertainment industry produces is geared toward the 18 - 35 y/o demographic because it is a known fact that 18 - 35 is the age range in which people tend to spend money most freely, & they spend it on the kinds of products advertisers sell. Therefore, the advertisers now dictate what we see. And what is that? It's what 18 - 35 year olds want to see. IOW... crap.

The 18 - 35 group also tends to be the age range that goes to the movies the most, so movies tend to be geared towards them, too. 

Whenever I watch an old movie 1930s and 1940s old, not 1980s and 1990s old), I'm always surprised by the prevalence of characters in the 40-80 year age range.  Often, in the movies shown on TCM, that's all you see.  And if there's any teenagers at all, they're "the kids".

Nowadays, if there're more than one or two lead characters older than 50, chances are that it'll be billed as a movie for old people and about old people.

TV, too.  I can't imagine a Burns and Allen sort of show being made today.  There was rarely anyone younger than 40 or 50 on that show.

But, who do I blame for this?  Me and mine!  The baby boomers.  It was in the late 60s that teenagers became a more viable economic force than ever before, and we demanded more youth-oriented entertainment product.  Hollywood simply responded.

"If you're under 25, you are the majority.  You can run the country."

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:06pm
That's why I love the Masterpiece Mystery! & Classic series' from the BBC that they show on PBS.

Re: the Mystery! series, not only are the plots clever & the acting first rate, the characters seem like real people who are old enough & wise enough to be doing what they're doing, as opposed to a bunch of 20-something fashion models whose "acting" abilities are limited to scowling, glowering & pretending to be tough & sexy.

And as for the Classic series, they're often times re-adaptaions of Dickens classics or based on books like Jane Eyre which, although they might seem like they'd be boring, are actually incredibly engaging once you start watching them because they are so well written, produced, acted & filmed. The production values on some of these series are incredible. Better than or on par with Hollywood feature films in some cases.

There is a current "period piece" called "Downton Abbey" that, although not based on any old classic (it was written recently) takes place in the early 20th century right before WWI. It's set in England on a wealthy estate & revolves around a situation in which they have to marry off their eldest daughter or she loses her inheritance. But it also details the lives of the servants & all the intrigue & whatnot that goes along with it.

Just utterly addicting. Can't wait for the new ones that will air in January.

You should try to catch it.

Really makes you appreciate television again.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:16pm

But, who do I blame for this?  Me and mine!  The baby boomers.  It was in the late 60s that teenagers became a more viable economic force than ever before, and we demanded more youth-oriented entertainment product.  Hollywood simply responded.

There's plenty of blame to go around, Thor.

Saying "Hollywood simply responded" doesn't let them off the hook. They don't have to pander to every whim of their target audience any more than corporations have to try to squeeze every last penny of profit they possibly can no matter what the cost to non-stock holders may be.

There is a "no such thing as enough" mentality that has taken over the business community these days, including the entertainment business, that is leading to our ruination both culturally & economically & it probably won't end until we experience a total socio-economic meltdown, the likes of which will make the recent mortgage & banking industry meltdown look like a pebble in the road.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:20pm
Yeah, I'm sure that stuff (the Masterpiece Theater stuff) is good.  But, I'll probably never watch.  These days, it seems that most of what I watch is non-fiction of one sort or another.  And if it's historical, I want footage, not reenactments (if possible).

However, I always have one sitcom that I get into, via reruns.  For a few years, it was Two and a Half Men.  Now it's The Big Bang Theory.  Never more than one sitcom at a time, though.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:24pm
Your loss. 

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:33pm

There's plenty of blame to go around, Thor.

Saying "Hollywood simply responded" doesn't let them off the hook. They don't have to pander to every whim of their target audience any more than corporations have to try to squeeze every last penny of profit they possibly can no matter what the cost to non-stock holders may be.

There is a "no such thing as enough" mentality that has taken over the business community these days, including the entertainment business, that is leading to our ruination both culturally & economically & it probably won't end until we experience a total socio-economic meltdown, the likes of which will make the recent mortgage & banking industry meltdown look like a pebble in the road.

The entertainment industry exists to make money.  It's an industry.  They're not here to dictate tastes. 

There're plenty of independently-made movies out there that aren't the usual Hollywood crap.  They're there.  You might have to seek them out, but they're there.  They, too, exist to make money.

If we disapprove of what Hollywood is putting out, the solution is simple.  Don't buy it.  If enough people respond in that way, that stuff will disappear.  If it doesn't, and Hollywood has a meltdown, so what?  Let it!  Power to the people, man!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 3:48pm
This coming from a "personal responsibility" conservative.

I love how the right always goes on & on about personal responsibility, but then excuses corporate leaders from it in the name of profit.

So IOW, the quest for more & more money excuses everything.

Ho-hum.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:02pm
Downton Abby really hasn't hit any good spots for me. I prefer Lark Rise to Candleford (Watch it if you can, it's brilliant)

But I definitely agree that British entertainment is a LOT less agist than American. Even when shows have young characters, they actually make them flawed, and don't always cast those 'super gorgeous' mannequins with the acting prowess of a faeces-stained dildo.

Of course, it's not just the period pieces that are brilliant. Various sitcoms such as Vicar of Dibley, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, One Foot in the Grave (Best show ever!), Waiting For God, Last of the Summer Wine, hell even The Good Life all focused on 'older' characters and did so brilliantly.

Actually, with the exception of Skins, I can't really think of a lot of British shows that are teen-centric.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Codtaro Codtaro wrote:

Downton Abby really hasn't hit any good spots for me. I prefer Lark Rise to Candleford (Watch it if you can, it's brilliant)

But I definitely agree that British entertainment is a LOT less agist than American. Even when shows have young characters, they actually make them flawed, and don't always cast those 'super gorgeous' mannequins with the acting prowess of a faeces-stained dildo.

Of course, it's not just the period pieces that are brilliant. Various sitcoms such as Vicar of Dibley, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, One Foot in the Grave (Best show ever!), Waiting For God, Last of the Summer Wine, hell even The Good Life all focused on 'older' characters and did so brilliantly.

Actually, with the exception of Skins, I can't really think of a lot of British shows that are teen-centric.

I like "Ever Decreasing Circles".

Kinda took over for "Keeping Up Appearances" going away when our local PBS station got sold & a new one took over, replacing a lot of the old programming. And I love the actress, Penelope Wilton, who plays the wife.

There is a good new one called "Old Guys" which stars the actor who played Hyacinth's husband Richard on KUA, along with a guy from Vicar of Dibley. They play roomates who live across the street from a hot older gal they both have a crush on, played by Paul McCartney's old 60's flame Jane Asher.

Another awesome PBS show is Doc Martin.

Absolutely brilliant show.

Ad Exec
Ad Exec
Formerly Codtaro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papa Lazarou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:14pm
I've been dying to see Old Guys. Ever Decreasing Circles sounds good, but I cannot find english subtitles for it, and since my mum is hearing impaired and enjoys these shows to, it's sadly become a necessity. Penelope Wilton is a brilliant actress, though.

Doc Martin <3 I adore it.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:15pm

This coming from a "personal responsibility" conservative.

I love how the right always goes on & on about personal responsibility, but then excuses corporate leaders from it in the name of profit.

So IOW, the quest for more & more money excuses everything.

Ho-hum.

This coming from someone who says corporations are not people.

What I advocate here, is personal responsibility.  Personal responsibility for ourselves (isn't that what "personal responsibility" means?).  I don't put that responsibility upon some mythical "Man in Hollywood".  Nor do I expect it. 

Why, in the world of liberalism, is everything out of one's own control? 

I'll tell you why.  Because if something's out of one's own control, government must intervene.  'Cuz that's exactly what you seem to want.  Censorship.  If the people can't make good decisions, and the movie industry isn't, someone else up the chain of command must make those decisions for all of us.  And they'd better be the ones that you approve of.

What you fail to see is that what comes out of Hollywood is totally within our control.  You, yourself, stated a few posts ago that you opt out of Hollywood crap and go for the Masterpiece Theater offerings.  Can't other people do the same if they want?  Isn't that just as much within their power?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:19pm

I've been dying to see Old Guys. Ever Decreasing Circles sounds good, but I cannot find english subtitles for it, and since my mum is hearing impaired and enjoys these shows to, it's sadly become a necessity. Penelope Wilton is a brilliant actress, though.

Doc Martin <3 I adore it.

Did you recognize her in Downton Abbey?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:37pm

This coming from someone who says corporations are not people.

What I advocate here, is personal responsibility.  Personal responsibility for ourselves (isn't that what "personal responsibility" means?).  I don't put that responsibility upon some mythical "Man in Hollywood".  Nor do I expect it. 

Why, in the world of liberalism, is everything out of one's own control? 

I'll tell you why.  Because if something's out of one's own control, government must intervene.  'Cuz that's exactly what you seem to want.  Censorship.  If the people can't make good decisions, and the movie industry isn't, someone else must make those decisions for all of us.  And they'd better be the ones that you approve of.

What you fail to see is that what comes out of Hollywood is totally within our control.  You, yourself, stated a few posts ago that you opt out of Hollywood crap and go for the Masterpiece Theater offerings.  Can't other people do the same if they want?  Isn't that just as much within their power?

I said corporations are run by people & the USSC just declared that they are to be considered "people", ergo, they now have the PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to not deluge society with vulgar mindless sex-obsessed trash.

And the mythical "Man in Hollywood" is no myth. Whaddaya think, this crap produces itself?

Get real.

You know as well as I that young people (the ones who watch all this crap) are easily sold on junk & just like junk food is ruining their health, Hollywood is causing the moral, ethical & mental standards of America's youth to decline.

Funny how you don't mind blaming rap music for the current & prevalent gangsta mentality amongst minority youth, but don't anyone dare suggest that the people who produce prurient drivel like Two and a Half Men bear a similar responsibilty by God, or you'll get an ear full from Thor.

Wacko

Quote What you fail to see is that what comes out of Hollywood is totally within our control.

And what YOU fail to see is that we're talking aboput YOUTH who lack that kind of control. I'm 54 years old. No surprise I'd turn to PBS for intelligent, well made entertainment. The average 23 year old shmoe is gonna watch whatever mindless dreck they stick in front of him.

And I'm not talking about censorship. I'm talking about the entertainment industry setting standards for themselves & following them. Figures you'd confuse the two, though. Haven't met a right winger yet who can differentiate between the finer points of even slightly complex issues.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:48pm

I've been dying to see Old Guys.

There are plenty of episodes (in 10 minute segments) on YouTube.

Check it out!!! Thumbs Up

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:51pm

The entertainment industry tried that already, Jimbo.  In 1934.  The Hays Code.  We rejected it by 1968.  What if some similar "man in Hollywood" decided that the best sort of entertainment is Christian family-oriented entertainment, and from now on, that's what we'll be seeing?  Would that be OK with you?  Who gets to decide what "quality" is, anyway?  Didn't the USSR decide what its people would be watching?  Didn't they decide it would be ballet---lots and lots of ballet?

And you, indeed, are advocating censorship.  You've already stated that the public is incapable, and you know damned well that Hollywood isn't going to.  So, what's the alternative? 

As far as youth...the crap they watch is the crap we've allowed them to watch.  If it's OK with Mom and Dad, who is Hollywood to say it's not OK with them?  Just because we may suddenly see what lackadaisical or permissive parenting "hath wrought", doesn't mean someone else must fix it for us.

And you've never once heard me say that rap music should be banned.  Not once. 

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 5:17pm

The entertainment industry tried that already, Jimbo.  In 1934.  The Hays Code.  We rejected it by 1968.  What if some similar "man in Hollywood" decided that the best sort of entertainment is Christian family-oriented entertainment, and from now on, that's what we'll be seeing?  Would that be OK with you?  Who gets to decide what "quality" is, anyway?  Didn't the USSR decide what its people would be watching?

If they went Christian family I'd be here bitching about it, as is my right. But they could (if they gave a crap) get together & appoint their own standards board without enlisting the church as the main deciding element as they did with the Hays Codes, although the church could be included. There are simple common sense guidelines they could put in place & follow. If they wanted to.

But as far as the laissez faire attitude you seem to take on all such issues is concerned, I have to ask you, why are you even here to begin with? (not that I'm suggesting you shouldn't be)... if your attitude towards everything is "just ignore it" or "just don't look at it"? Why come here & bitch about TV & commercials when you can just take your own advice & just not watch them? 

As far as youth...the crap they watch is the crap we've allowed them to watch.  If it's OK with Mom and Dad, who is Hollywood to say it's not OK with them?

And if it's OK with mom & dad to let little Suzie & Johnny watch porno, who is society to say it's not OK with them? Hollywood doesn't have to make the crap available to begin with.

And BTW.... did you actually READ the title of this thread?

Because THAT is what I'm saying.

YOU on the other hand, are saying it needs to continue swirling down the crapper, taking the rest of us with it.

And you've never once heard me say that rap music should be banned. Not once.

And when did I ever suggest "banning" anything? I never accused you of suggesting rap should be banned, so why even bring that up?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:20pm
First of all, I like being here.  Second of all, I may criticize crappy commercials but if it wasn't for crappy commercials, we'd have none to criticize.  CIH is fun.  Third of all, I don't demand that advertisers change their ways (see "second of all").  Nor do I expect them to.  Fourth, maybe they'll see that people are getting fed up with certain themes, and change their styles.  Fifth, as I've said here before, I often don't even remember what a commercial is advertising and rarely buy their products, anyway.  I go for the off-brands or whatever's cheapest.  So even though it's not necessarily my intention, I actually do my part to discourage bad commercials.  Sixth, I usually don't go on and on about a particular commercial.  As you also do, I'll take a related point someone else makes and go off on that tangent, especially if I see that the original complaint is played out.  Seventh, I just can't be in a state of perpetual outrage over commercials.  For the most part, the whole subject just amuses me.

As far as a "standards board", they already have one.  We're all members.  Thus, we have everything from family stations to history channels to fashion channels to Mormon channels to Spike TV, and movies that people seem to be going to/buying/renting more than ever before.  You even get those British shows that you like.  I don't even think public televison shows those where I live.  Why?  Because the Anglo thing just isn't as big in California.  We get more nature stuff on public television.

Just because there may not be a TV channel designed specifically for me, doesn't mean that my voice hasn't been heard.  It's simply been rejected by everyone else.  Besides, for the people who do want personalized programming, isn't that what Hulu's about?

Porn.  Mom and Dad don't let Suzie and Johnny watch porn.  That's why we don't see it on regular TV.  Besides, I'd say we've reached a consensus already on that subject.  We keep it on the 'net.  Thus, it's not even an issue.  It's found its place.  Perfect!

As far as the title of this thread, I know what it means.  I'd like to see Hollywood evolve, too.  But I also know that it won't until we do.  It doesn't require a committee.  Committees are comprised of people, and people are going to be corrupted.  Do you not think that if such a board existed, there wouldn't immediately be lobbyists trying to get their way?  Pitload, like you, seems to think that something needs to be done about what comes out of Hollywood.  That implies some sort of master overseeing it.  That's why I said "Write your Congressman!"

Rap music.  I never said that you said that I said...  But you seem to be implying that because I hate the genre, too, that I think "something needs to be done!!!" about it.  I would never say that.  I just want it to go away on its own, just like Two and a Half Men is.

EugenesAxe View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EugenesAxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:57pm
This is one of the things I fear when dedicating 12 hours a day to sketches, story boards, and journals filled with ideas...talent being frowned upon, money over quality, the list can go on (but I keep on at it). At the end of the day I do it for myself (who the hell am I trying to please), but an audience is always pretty nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic