Print Page | Close Window

Chinese people disappeared

Printed From: Commercials I Hate!
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: Off-Topic
Forum Description: Discuss whatever.
URL: http://www.commercialsihate.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28785
Printed Date: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:59am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Chinese people disappeared
Posted By: caroln242
Subject: Chinese people disappeared
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:07pm
Since all this virus stuff started, all our Chinese restaurants closed down...no curbside service, nothing.  And I have noticed that I haven't even seen a Chinese person around town AT ALL.  I don't know if they're afraid of showing their faces, but I for one, harbor no ill will towards the entire Chinese population just because the virus started in China.  I really miss my Chinese food too!  I hope they come back after all the restrictions are lifted.  Anyone else suddenly notice a lack of Chinese people?


-------------



Replies:
Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

Since all this virus stuff started, all our Chinese restaurants closed down...no curbside service, nothing.  And I have noticed that I haven't even seen a Chinese person around town AT ALL.  I don't know if they're afraid of showing their faces, but I for one, harbor no ill will towards the entire Chinese population just because the virus started in China.  I really miss my Chinese food too!  I hope they come back after all the restrictions are lifted.  Anyone else suddenly notice a lack of Chinese people?

If you live in southern Kentucky close to the Tennessee state line, there are a couple of Publix supermarkets in Clarksville. 

One of them is in the northern section of town, very near the border with Ky.

Publix markets all have hot food delis that serve, from what I hear, is some very tasty Chinese food for a very reasonable price.

If it's not an overly long trip, it might be worth the drive. 

Just an idea.




-------------
Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.


Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:27pm
We have those at our Shop-Rites. Right now, along with the other hot food buffets and salad bars, they're limited. The food is now prepackaged, so you can't take some of this and some of that.

Still, it's better than nothing.



Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

We have those at our Shop-Rites. Right now, along with the other hot food buffets and salad bars, they're limited. The food is now prepackaged, so you can't take some of this and some of that.

Still, it's better than nothing.

The way it works at Publix is, the food is all in a glass enclosed case. The counter person scoops whichever item(s) you point at into a styrofoam take-out tray, weighs it, then slaps a price sticker on it.

No buffet or self service involved.





-------------
Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.


Posted By: aka ron
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:44pm
We've got a nice little place uptown, I love their Chicken Chow Mein.

Lucky Garden Chinese Restaurant



-------------
I can't complain but sometimes I still do


Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:47pm
We've got several decent Chinese and Mongolian Barbeque buffets around here, but I haven't been to one in years.



-------------
Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.


Posted By: aka ron
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:12pm
Sticking with the ASIAN theme but still going a little off topic...Embarrassed





-------------
I can't complain but sometimes I still do


Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

We have those at our Shop-Rites. Right now, along with the other hot food buffets and salad bars, they're limited. The food is now prepackaged, so you can't take some of this and some of that.

Still, it's better than nothing.

The way it works at Publix is, the food is all in a glass enclosed case. The counter person scoops whichever item(s) you point at into a styrofoam take-out tray, weighs it, then slaps a price sticker on it.

No buffet or self service involved.





I just came back from the Shop-Rite. They just changed over to the Publix type of system today. I still prefer self-serve.



Posted By: msmadz
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:09pm
In New York,(and sometimes I'm embarrassed to say I'm from here) some assholes have been beating the sh*t out of Asian people
Spitting on them in the subways,kicking, punching. Regardless of their background. Not every person with straight black hair and slanted eyes comes from China. Nor are they responsible for this virus. Good God people are f**king stupid.


Posted By: aka ron
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 5:20pm


-------------
I can't complain but sometimes I still do


Posted By: caroln242
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

In New York,(and sometimes I'm embarrassed to say I'm from here) some assholes have been beating the sh*t out of Asian people
Spitting on them in the subways,kicking, punching. Regardless of their background. Not every person with straight black hair and slanted eyes comes from China. Nor are they responsible for this virus. Good God people are f**king stupid.


I imagine that's why the Chinese people are keeping a low profile these days...for exactly that reason.  They wouldn't have to worry about it here in Kentucky I don't think, but I can see it happening in large metropolitan areas.  I wish my favorite Chinese restaurant had a Facebook page so we could post and they'd know we aren't blaming them personally for the virus! 


-------------


Posted By: msmadz
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

In New York,(and sometimes I'm embarrassed to say I'm from here) some assholes have been beating the sh*t out of Asian people
Spitting on them in the subways,kicking, punching. Regardless of their background. Not every person with straight black hair and slanted eyes comes from China. Nor are they responsible for this virus. Good God people are f**king stupid.


I imagine that's why the Chinese people are keeping a low profile these days...for exactly that reason.  They wouldn't have to worry about it here in Kentucky I don't think, but I can see it happening in large metropolitan areas.  I wish my favorite Chinese restaurant had a Facebook page so we could post and they'd know we aren't blaming them personally for the virus! 


You just can't fix stupid. It's like WwII when people were beating Hawaiians because they looked different. Holy hopping Christ on a moped.

-------------
The artist formerly known as Madawee





Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

In New York,(and sometimes I'm embarrassed to say I'm from here) some assholes have been beating the sh*t out of Asian people
Spitting on them in the subways,kicking, punching. Regardless of their background. Not every person with straight black hair and slanted eyes comes from China. Nor are they responsible for this virus. Good God people are f**king stupid.


I imagine that's why the Chinese people are keeping a low profile these days...for exactly that reason.  They wouldn't have to worry about it here in Kentucky I don't think, but I can see it happening in large metropolitan areas.  I wish my favorite Chinese restaurant had a Facebook page so we could post and they'd know we aren't blaming them personally for the virus! 


'Cept maybe for those ones cooking/eating whatever the hell those animals are that they eat---meat that wasn't bred for human consumption. Hopefully not sold in the US.

I see pangolin is the suspected source of the virus. Look it up---I mean, what the hell, Chinese people? What the hell are you thinking?



Posted By: caroln242
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:22pm
I looked it up.  I'm so sorry I did.  Pangolin???  YUCK, YUCK, YUCK.  SickSickSick  I can't say YUCK enough.


-------------


Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:28pm
I'm reading a little about them. They're considered "shy and harmless", but have become big business in Asia---so much that they're now endangered.

A friend of mine who's travelled to China (and other Asian countries) says the way they treat animals is shameless. It actually caused him to go vegetarian.



Posted By: caroln242
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:38pm
I've heard that a lot, that Asians treat animals like they have no feelings, don't even need any medical attention.  If an injured dog or cat is laying in the street, they walk around it like it's a piece of garbage.  I'm surprised they even have vets in that part of the world.  I know I sound harsh, but animal cruelty really hits me the wrong way. I can't believe that Asians can be so progressive in so many areas and yet so unfeeling when it comes to any living thing other than human.


-------------


Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:53pm

Well, I'm not sure they're partcularly kind when it comes to the treatment of people, either...at least outside of places like Taiwan and Hong Kong.

But, like you, I have little tolerance for anyone who abuses or neglects animals.





Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

I've heard that a lot, that Asians treat animals like they have no feelings, don't even need any medical attention.  If an injured dog or cat is laying in the street, they walk around it like it's a piece of garbage.  I'm surprised they even have vets in that part of the world.  I know I sound harsh, but animal cruelty really hits me the wrong way. I can't believe that Asians can be so progressive in so many areas and yet so unfeeling when it comes to any living thing other than human.

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:


Well, I'm not sure they're partcularly kind when it comes to the treatment of people, either...at least outside of places like Taiwan and Hong Kong.

But, like you, I have little tolerance for anyone who abuses or neglects animals.

My dad was in the Air Force and before he retired in 1967, he had to spend the entire year of 1966 in Bangkok. 

Right after he arrived, some guys he was stationed there with, took him into town to a bar frequented by American servicemen. There was a young Thai kid going around from table to table with a hibachi on a cart selling grilled shish kabob. The guys he was with told him they were really good and he ought to try one. He was hungry, so he got one or maybe a couple. After he was finished they started making barking noises then told him that he'd just eaten dog meat. Seems as though that was a favorite little prank to pull on new arrivals. He never went back to that place again.






-------------
Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.


Posted By: caroln242
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:31pm
I wonder if the prank was to make him think he ate dog meat or if he really did?  Either way, that would haunt me for the rest of my life.  But I guess some American Indians ate dog, too, in times of famine.


-------------


Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

I wonder if the prank was to make him think he ate dog meat or if he really did?  Either way, that would haunt me for the rest of my life.  But I guess some American Indians ate dog, too, in times of famine.

No, he knew it was dog because after he'd been there for awhile, he learned that it was a very common practice and that Thais were (and possibly still are) known for it.

Especially back in the 60's when societies everywhere, especially in the third world, were a bit more primitive than they are today.

Thailand BTW, is also one of the main countries that have become known as sex tourism countries where pedophiles can go to find (yes, I know it's disgusting to even talk about) child sex for sale. 

They've begun cracking down on it from what I understand, but only recently and it is likely still tolerated in some areas.

Southeast Asia is, in some ways. a sick part of the world.



-------------
Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.


Posted By: Thor
Date Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:05pm
There's an annual dog meat festival in China. Feel free to Google it. I'd rather not.

These days, I rarely eat any meat other than chicken. If I could live on pasta, I would.

People have tried goading me into trying other types of meat like venison and elk. They say it's really good. For me, it has nothing to do with its taste. I'm just not looking to expand my meat repertoire.



Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: 25 May 2020 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

There's an annual dog meat festival in China. Feel free to Google it. I'd rather not.

Yeah, I've heard about that. Seen some pictures. Gruesome and heartbreaking.

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

These days, I rarely eat any meat other than chicken. If I could live on pasta, I would.

People have tried goading me into trying other types of meat like venison and elk. They say it's really good. For me, it has nothing to do with its taste. I'm just not looking to expand my meat repertoire.

Same here, though I did spend much of my youth trying to expand my meat's repertoire.

Often without much success. Wink






-------------
Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.


Posted By: MrTim
Date Posted: 25 May 2020 at 5:11am
Today I went to the Chinese take-out place I usually go to.  Still open, they just have a large plexi-glass wall they do business from behind now...

I think in most Asian countries they eat all that weird stuff simply because there is not that much 'normal' (to us) meat to eat;  If it's cooked right & smells nice, it's probably (hopefully) edible.
(There is supposed to be a video of a Chinese guy eating live baby mice after dipping them in sauce.  Not something I'd order... Dead )


-------------
http://mrtim1k.blogspot.com/ - WKRP closing theme lyrics HERE!



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk