Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i hate you, betty white

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i hate you, betty white
    Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:48pm
I know, I know. Talk about an unpopular opinion.
Here's the thing, though. Betty White is getting a lot of attention for absolutely no reason other than the fact that she is old. This terrible little show she's on now, Hot In Cleveland, has no jokes other than "LOOK BETTY WHITE IS OLD AND SHE SAYS THINGS!!" She's not even doing anything particularly funny. Everyone just has her say swear words because LOL SHE'S OLD.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:56pm
LOL...and so?!
Guess what, Kiddo? One fine spring day - that wil lbe you.
Unless ya wanna become 'Kat Hemmingway' (don't do that)

...last known pic of Ernest, 1 minute before deciding he didn't wanna get 'old'
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 11:35pm

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 11:40pm
Confused...no can see pic - and I bet Betty White gets tired of people posting pics she can't see...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

LOL...and so?!
Guess what, Kiddo? One fine spring day - that wil lbe you.
Unless ya wanna become 'Kat Hemmingway' (don't do that)

...last known pic of Ernest, 1 minute before deciding he didn't wanna get 'old'

Not to nit pick at you or split hairs, etc., but that pic & your claim got me interested, so I did some Googlin'.

The article there is on a book called "Hemingway's Guns"  which appears to be mostly a photo essay full of pics of him with his various guns. There are about 14 you can scroll thru, including the one you posted.

And while it's true that the gun in that photo is actually the same one he killed himself with, that particular photo was actually taken about 9 years before, in 1952 Cuba, as opposed to Ketchum, Iowa Idaho, in 1961... the location & year of his death.

After he killed himself, they had the gun destroyed by a local welder who cut it into small pieces & buried it in a field. The grandson of that welder now owns the welding shop & it turns out that his grandfather had kept a few small pieces as souveniers which he still has.

Interesting.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:04pm

I have to agree  -  "Hot in Cleveland" isn't my favorite show, but holy moly, I love Betty White.

The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I have to agree  -  "Hot in Cleveland" isn't my favorite show, but holy moly, I love Betty White.

How can ya not????? ShockedShockedShocked

And she's so self-effacing about the whole thing.

Doesn't take it seriously at all.

Just has fun with it.

Good for her!!! ClapClap

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Not to nit pick at you or split hairs, etc., but that pic & your claim got me interested, so I did some Googlin'.

The article there is on a book called "Hemingway's Guns"  which appears to be mostly a photo essay full of pics of him with his various guns. There are about 14 you can scroll thru, including the one you posted.

And while it's true that the gun in that photo is actually the same one he killed himself with, that particular photo was actually taken about 9 years before, in 1952 Cuba, as opposed to Ketchum, Iowa in 1961... the location & year of his death.

After he killed himself, they had the gun destroyed by a local welder who cut it into small pieces & buried it in a field. The grandson of that welder now owns the welding shop & it turns out that his grandfather had kept a few small pieces as souveniers which he still has.

Interesting.

CoolCool...I figured a few would 'get it quick'...didn't think anyone would chase down the whole story (or if anyone else ever read it). Anyway...Ketchum is in Idaho.
gravestones%20on%20the%20grass%20under%20three%20trees<<<---Ernest's 'eternal scoopings'...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:11pm
Ooops..... I said "Iowa", didn't I?

Always get those two confused.

My bad.

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:14pm
And don't forget - Betty is a critter crusader which makes me love her even more!

I have "Hot in cleveland"  recorded - I have to find the time to watch it. I only saw the first show of Season 2. I love Betty White in it but that lollipop stick with those ghastly twisted arms turns me off. The "soap opera actress."
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:24pm
ConfusedYa think Betty knew Ernest?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:30pm
Might've met him.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:35pm

What do Frank Lloyd Wright, Ernest Hemmingway, Ben Weasel, and Betty White Have in Common?

http://mma.msg.com/article/0dm3fzH47V5Df?q=Frank+Lloyd+Wright

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 10:43pm
I guess I was never a super Betty White fan.  I remember her only from her role in Mary Tyler Moore as Sue Ann Nivens.  This character was not particularly likable, not Betty's fault, but I didn't care for her.  Never cared to watch golden girls, didn't seem like anything I could ever get to liking.  Her knew found fame is a bit puzzling to me too Kat.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 2:32am
Sue Ann Nivens wasn't supposed to be "likeable".  She was supposed to be borderline evil:  the seductress, the scene-stealer, the naughty joke pitcher, the perfectionist--all in dimpled sheep's clothing.  Betty in real life related far more to Sue Ann than to her more honey- coated/naive character of Rose on Golden Girls. I think young people  really don't understand these character actors and how they're the backbone of a sitcom.  There are so few decent ones left, and our minds are so polluted with garbage "reality shows"  that innocent pre-2000 comedies have become an enigma. Betty is beloved enough to have been begged to come do a spot on "SNL".  At her age, she's kicking ass and I wish I had her energy, talent, and commitment to all the things in life that matter:  love and laughter.  I'd rather see her than those Whore-Trashian and Snookie creeps.     

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 3:43am

I think the point is that she *is* talented, and should be doing more than just showing up and being old. IMO.

But I also agree that I'd rather see her than any of the twentysomething skanks out there today.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 3:57am

I don't get the "showing up and being old" comment(s) as if this is all that Betty White is about now.  The point is...she IS "showing up" (in all sorts of talk shows, a couple of TV movies, animal rights events, and a HIT sit com to boot) and she's 89 years old.  What MORE does this consummate performer need to do to make some people happy?  Suddenly become 28?? Seriously....Confused

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 3:59am
Damn... He killed himself with THAT GUN?! Wow!

Also, how can one NOT like Betty White? She seems like such a nice old lady. It's not as if being old means you just... turn into dust, you know.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 3:15pm
Maybe there are so few people her age in the media (or even in real life), that "being old" is inevitably the way she'd have to be cast.  Even as a "Golden Girl", she and the others were cast as old, or at least getting there.  Thus, the "Golden".

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 4:52pm
I liken Betty White's sudden surge in popularity to that of Rodney Dangerfield's back in the early 80's.

His place in the limelight had more or less faded when he landed a role in a movie called "Caddy Shack", & suddenly everyone's talking about him & everyone wants him.... including (like Betty White) SNL.

Suddenly, it was nothing but Rodney this & Rodney that everywhere you looked.

Next thing you know, he's making one movie after another.... Easy Money, Back To School, etc. etc.

And of course, there were the beer commercials.

Good for those people. It's nice to see them get to realize all that appreciation after so many years of struggling.

C'mon, man!
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 6:23pm
I've been tired of Betty White for a while now. Hello Hollywood, there's other old ladies you can use. It's like anything that needs the part of an old woman every one just goes OMG LETS GET BETTY WHITE. Like she's the only old person left to cast. She's not even funny. There, I said it.
It's ok, I'm in marketing!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:51pm

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:16pm
You see that Virginia posted that same pic, don't you, Jimbo?  Yesterday, though, it wasn't appearing right away.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:25pm
I copied & pasted it from her reply.

It was the perfect spot for it.

C'mon, man!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

Sue Ann Nivens wasn't supposed to be "likeable".  She was supposed to be borderline evil:  the seductress, the scene-stealer, the naughty joke pitcher, the perfectionist--all in dimpled sheep's clothing......

Whereas I'm the one who brought up Sue Ann, your response is obviously directed at least in part to me.  Sort of saying "Duh" to me.  I fully realize that Sue Ann Nivens was a character and that was what her character was supposed to be, unlikeable.  I don't have any difficulty seperating real life from TV characters.  I had seen Betty White in other bit parts in other things where she more or less played the same type of character.  I had never personally seen her in a role where I found her to be endearing. 
BTW, I never said I hated her as Kat has.  I don't hate her at all, I don't even know the woman.  I'm simply puzzled by the new found fuss for her.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic