Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Clean PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Clean PC
    Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:37pm

"This could be a sign of a virus."
No, the virus will come after you download this quackery.
Sponsored Links

ProudHeart86 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudHeart86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 1:18am
Love how they make you think it's awesome because you get a "free diagnosis".  Yeah, the diagnosis might be free, but to get rid of the junk, you probably have to pay more than you do with Norton (ew!) or Kapersky.

I think I'll just stick with Kapersky :D  I love how well it works!  And it's not badly priced either, at least for my budget.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 3:59pm
Just about every anti-virus program has its supporters.  I get free Norton with my Comcast.  So far, so good (knock on wood).

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:46pm
That announcer guy is using scare tactics. Just because one's PC is running slow does not mean it has a virus as he makes it out to be.
It reminds me of this classic, btw. I think was sued awhile back.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:52pm
I figured out a long time ago that those periods of the day when my computer slows down are caused by my ISP, not by viruses in my computer.  They seem to last 1/2 hour or so.

Perun1nj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perun1nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 7:05pm
That guy MUST know what he's talking about, he's got a sports jacket, a contemporary haircut, a touch of grey in his hair. Look how his hands are in his pockets casually, he's talking to me like I'm an old friend!

I feel bad for people who watch commercials like this and think that this guy is actually offering something free. I bet the free diagnostic actually gives you viruses.
Carrigon View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carrigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 5:41pm
This junk is always a waste.  All you need is FREE CCleaner.  And clear your browser's cache and temp files regularly.  I run FREE AVG anti virus on my system.  And Firefox with NoScript addon.  It's rare for me to have any of these kinds of problems.  Slowdowns are usually all that temp file build up, and you can have stuff running that you don't need running.  It's not that hard to clear that stuff up for free.
msubulldog View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msubulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 7:25pm
Use http://www.malwarebytes.org

Even if you have Norton or McAfee, this is proven to detect viruses, malware, etc, the others don't detect. Plus this is free. The only caveat is you need to check for updates every time you run the free version.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 10:42pm
"Even if you already have anti-virus software......"
Yeah right. And decent AV would throw up red flags that you're downloading malware faster than Robot did.
"Danger, danger Will Robinson..."
aspie1966 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspie1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 11:36pm
I got on my computer before work this morning like normal....no problems. Get home from work, go online, pop-up says there's trojan viruses in the computer. I tried to find a program that would remove them for free. Found one that will work for 30 days before you register or uninstall. Restarted computer and couldn't get online. Thank God we have a laptop.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 1:40am
Originally posted by aspie1966 aspie1966 wrote:

I got on my computer before work this morning like normal....no problems. Get home from work, go online, pop-up says there's trojan viruses in the computer. I tried to find a program that would remove them for free. Found one that will work for 30 days before you register or uninstall. Restarted computer and couldn't get online. Thank God we have a laptop.

Was the pop-up from your computer, or was it one of those scams that infects your computer and sends up all sorts of pop-ups telling you that you need their anti-virus to remove the viruses, and hope that you panic enough to actually buy their crappy product?  I was getting those for awhile.  Very annoying.  I used to just do a system restore.  Haven't had the problem in a long time.

aspie1966 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aspie1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 2:28pm
It was from the computer. I dunno, we may try to do a system restore, or may just by another laptop, so we each have one.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 2:49pm
I lost my entire operating system in 2009.  Couldn't do anything.  I talked to Geek Squad about it, and they suggested I get a new computer, and then bring the old one and new one in so that they could do a file transfer.  Probably cost me $700 total.

No way.  I went to the actual paper yellow pages, and found a local computer repair guy.  For $115, he got it working like new.  No files lost at all.  That $115 included a $65 charge for picking it up and delivering it back to my house (that way, there'd be no surprises...so the extra $65 was worth it).

Malcolm Reynolds View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I lost my entire operating system in 2009.  Couldn't do anything.  I talked to Geek Squad about it, and they suggested I get a new computer, and then bring the old one and new one in so that they could do a file transfer.  Probably cost me $700 total.

No way.  I went to the actual paper yellow pages, and found a local computer repair guy.  For $115, he got it working like new.  No files lost at all.  That $115 included a $65 charge for picking it up and delivering it back to my house (that way, there'd be no surprises...so the extra $65 was worth it).

GeekSquad is to tech support as Hardee's is to food.  I would rather whale on my junk with a rubber mallet than take something to GeekSquad.
"If you make your software idiot proof, nature will make a better idiot."
-Me
buickgnx88 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buickgnx88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 9:53pm
Poor example, Hardees is actually damn good fast food. I think the company you meant to say was McDonalds or Taco Bell. Wink
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 10:16pm
I hear new PCs don't come with a OS CD, and you'd backup via burning your own CD when you first start it up.
After backing up with XP or Vista, you can wipe your OS and then reinstall the backup CD. It'll be as clean as brand new then.
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 6:30am
It's a shame that nobody notices that these sites provide a service which any even marginally computer literate person can do on their own in about five seconds.

Also, for every anti-virus you have to pay for, there's an equal one which is available for free.
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 3:10pm
That assumes that people will notice and take the initiative to find the programs on their own.  I've run across a few people who have actually compared my toolkit to this junk...

..."You charge too much [still far cheaper than Best Buy for better service], this website does it for FREE!"
...OK, if you can do it for free then you do it, you'll still owe me the diagnostic fee (and the ID10T tax for wasting my time/questioning my abilities).
..."I don't want to download anything and I don't know what to do."
...OK...see, this is why people pay me, cause they don't want to do it themselves.  And no, I'm not using the Finallyfast software, my kit's much better.

The thing that gets me is the superior way the guy says in the newest ad "And you don't need to pay a technician to come to your HOME, or drop your computer at some STORE".  As a freelance technician, this series of ads annoys me...I've had to clean up a few messes left by their 'scan' and users deciding in a panic to delete stuff rather than have the crapware do it.

My clients prefer I come to them; not only do I fix it, but explain in plain english (or as much as I can without confusing them) what went wrong and how to avoid it.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 8:13pm
I think they are targeting this crap to people that haven't a clue what "temp files, defrag,drive cleaning,malware,etc." are. Or download junk and don't read everything like Install Yahoo toolbar/etc.
when they run it.
Sheriphie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheriphie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 10:38am
Oh god finallyfast....that cheesy 90's quality kills me. xD
Especially the obnoxious kid with the cheap video game..."MOM,THIS CONNECTION IS SO SLOOOOW!"
Malcolm Reynolds View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Just about every anti-virus program has its supporters.  I get free Norton with my Comcast.  So far, so good (knock on wood).

Let me know if you start spending money on Norton, I have this bridge....
"If you make your software idiot proof, nature will make a better idiot."
-Me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic