Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

That First Chevy/Chevy Runs Deep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: That First Chevy/Chevy Runs Deep
    Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:05pm
I like old Chevys and I like this song.  So I really like this commercial.

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:16pm

It was OK up until near the end when they showed the modern guy & the modern chick standing next to their modern Chevies & then the douchebag announcer started his douchebaggy spiel.

It was kinda cool until that last part sorta ruined it.

The music was kinda cool.

Take out the douche-baggy stuff right near the end & it's alright.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I like old Chevys..... 

Did you ever own one & drive it to the levee, only to find that the levee was dry?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:48pm
Agreed about the "douchebaggy" modern Chevy stuff.  But that's gonna happen in a commercial about cars.  There's a Mercedes commercial that shows a buncha Mercedes from the past.  Cool enough.  Then, they get to the current crop of Mercedes which pretty much look like Hondas.  Boring.

FYI...that song is by Way Out West and is called I Love My Car.  Reminds me of Link Wray music with some bad-good vocals.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I like old Chevys..... 

Did you ever own one & drive it to the levee, only to find that the levee was dry?

I've never owned a Chevy!  I've owned six cars my entire life---2 Mustangs, a Toyota, a Granada, a Dodge Colt, and my current Chrysler.

Not sure I've ever been to a levee, either.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:40pm
They're showing this one around here.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

A dog and a Chevy.  Here's me with two dogs and two Chevys (one of the dogs is named Chevy; the other is Clyde).

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 3:11pm

I've never owned a Chevy!  I've owned six cars my entire life---2 Mustangs, a Toyota, a Granada, a Dodge Colt, and my current Chrysler.

Not sure I've ever been to a levee, either.

Oooooooohhhhhh...... we seem to have a couple more things in common, big boy!!!

Tell me more about the Toyota & the Dodge Colt.

Owned one of each my own self.

I'm not compltely sure what a levee is. I think it has something to do with dams & water.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 5:09pm
I had a green '77 Toyota SR-5 Hatchback.  I got it brand new when I got outta college.  It was my first stick.  I thought I was sooo cool, having five speeds.

The Colt was an '89.  Silver, 4-speed.  Also a hatchback.  I blew the engine driving 90 on Rte 80.  That was just before I got my Chrysler.  Too bad.  I miss driving a stick.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 7:27pm
I acquired a 1974 Chevy Vega when I got married. Didn't last too long. 

Did you know that there is a Vega Car Club? 

The members get together and show each other their big envelopes full of rust.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 1:27am

I had a green '77 Toyota SR-5 Hatchback.  I got it brand new when I got outta college.  It was my first stick.  I thought I was sooo cool, having five speeds.

The Colt was an '89.  Silver, 4-speed.  Also a hatchback.  I blew the engine driving 90 on Rte 80.  That was just before I got my Chrysler.  Too bad.  I miss driving a stick.

I had a brown, '75 Corolla 5-speed stick while I was in college, then a few years later in the mid 80's I had a silver '78 Corolla automatic with a black vinyl top.

In high school I had a blue '73 Dodge Colt station wagon.

I'll try to scan some pics & post them.

Maybe.

Sounds like a lot of effort.

C'mon, man!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 8:55am

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

A dog and a Chevy.  Here's me with two dogs and two Chevys (one of the dogs is named Chevy; the other is Clyde).

So who's truck is that? and don't you know you're supposed to blur out the plate number?  LOL

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 2:43pm
The truck belongs to my buddy Charlie.  We were on his friend's 2,500 acres in the town of Gold Run in the Sierra Mtns., preparing to do some gold detecting.  Usually, we'd dredge, but I don't see any dredging equipment in the bed of the truck, so we musta just been panning or detecting.

But why do you think the plate should be blurred?  I've thought about that, too...but seeing as how his plates are visible in real life for all to see anyway, I couldn't come up with a good reason to blur it out.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 3:39pm
Not to mention that given the likely age of the picture, the plates & numbers have probably been replaced with new ones, as has possibly the truck itself.

When was that..... early 2,000's?

Maybe 6 - 10 years ago?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 4:29pm

It was taken May, 2006.  Charlie still has the truck.  Unfortunately, he no longer has Clyde (the one on the left---half Lab, half Dalmation).  Last year, Clyde took off one afternoon and was found mangled on nearby train tracks the next day.  I have questions about that.  There are some f*cked-up people living in those mountains.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 9:57pm
This is  a scan of an old picture of the '57 Chevy Grandpa bought me when I got my permit.
It was a 4 door with hubcaps...... but the trunk was huge. Could sneak a couple buddies in the drive in movies.Wink
The VW in the upper right was the car we had to learn to drive with.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 10:19pm
'57s are nice.  My folks had a '58 Bel Air.  Pink and white.  Shocked

My faves are the '59s, with those big 'ol wings. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic