Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hyundai Sonata "Up On The Housetop" coincidence...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hyundai Sonata "Up On The Housetop" coincidence...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hyundai Sonata "Up On The Housetop" coincidence...
    Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 11:24pm
So..... Hyundai has been running these Sonata commercials using a Christmas song that I vaguely recollect having heard before, but didn't know the name of, nor could I understand the lyrics to.

I was able to discern just enough of the lyrics to Google "up on the rooftop(sic)..... Saint Nick"

Just as I clicked on one of the Google results & the lyrics came up, the ad came on TV, allowing me to read the lyrics as they were singing them.

Up On The Housetop:

Up on the housetop reindeer pause
Out jumps good old Santa Claus
Down thru the chimney with lots of toys
All for the little ones
Christmas joys
Chorus
Ho, ho, ho!
Who wouldnt go!
Ho, ho, ho!
Who wouldnt go!
Up on the housetop
Click, click, click
Down thru the chimney with
Good Saint Nick
First comes the stocking
Of little Nell
Oh, dear Santa
Fill it well
Give her a dolly
That laughs and cries
One that will open
And shut her eyes
Repeat Chorus
Next comes the stocking
Of little Will
Oh, just see what
A glorious fill
Here is a hammer
And lots of tacks
Also a ball
And a whip that cracks

"Up on the Housetop" may well have been the first American song of importance which elaborates on the theme on Santa Claus. It also is one of the first entirely secular Christmas songs composed in the Unite States. Written by little-known Benjamin R. Hanby (1833-1867), sometime in the 1850s or 1860s , and probably in Ohio, this vivacious song could possibly predate the early secular classic, "Jingle Bells" (1857). The best estimate, though, is that Hanby's song was created in the 1860s.
Hanby's life was short, less than 35 years. Yet he did manage to contribute this bouncy song, which is an especial favorite of children, to the enduring literature of the holiday. Furthermore, he may possibly have composed another popular carol, "Jolly Old St NicholasJolly Old Saint Nicholas" which is of roughly the same period and which has a suspiciously similar style of music and lyrics. There is absolutely no evidence that Hanby was responsible for the other song, yet the chronological and stylistic coincidences, plus the total anonymity of "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas," do elicit the conjecture that Hanby might have authored both songs. At the least, Hanby's "Up on the Housetop" may have influenced "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas."

William L. Simon, ed., Reader’s Digest Merry Christmas Songbook (1981)

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:05pm
There's a whole thread on this commercial.  I find the couple very annoying.  The word that comes to mind is "twee'.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 10:55pm

UnhappyThor...leave an ol'Mule alone. Personally, I liked the "History Lesson" - I think so few understand "Christmas as we Know It".

Before we moved to the GreatWhiteNorth and befofre 'Sun & Fun in Schnectady', we had our 'Hudson Hide-a-Way' - our 'Garden Mansion on The Hudson' (and down the hill from the grave of the REAL 'Uncle Sam' - Samuel Wilson). We were less than one block from this little bit of 'XMAS History' people don't know about - and actually, just a few doors down.
(I really loved Troy, New York...what an incredible place! And, doncha know - it's kinda close to Montreal!!!)

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

There's a whole thread on this commercial.  I find the couple very annoying.  The word that comes to mind is "twee'.

They call themselves "Pomplamoose" which is a variation of the French word for "grapefruit".

I read teir Wiki & the guy was decrying the phoniness of the mainstream music industry.

Then, of course they make a series of Christmas ads for a car company.

They really do overdo the whole "cutsey-wootsey" thing though, don't they?

I find them endlessly annoying.

Oh, BTW, the thread wasn't about the ad per se, but about the coincidence of it coming on at the exact moment I clicked on a Google link to the lyrics of the song.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
LilRebelChick View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 3:21am

The woman really gets on my nerves the most. She looks as lackluster as a boiled shoe. No expression or anything. She's got that "put my nightgown down when you're done, Honey" look about her, lol. Confused
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

So..... Hyundai has been running these Sonata commercials using a Christmas song that I vaguely recollect having heard before, but didn't know the name of, nor could I understand the lyrics to.

I was able to discern just enough of the lyrics to Google "up on the rooftop(sic)..... Saint Nick"

Just as I clicked on one of the Google results & the lyrics came up, the ad came on TV, allowing me to read the lyrics as they were singing them.

Up On The Housetop:

Up on the housetop reindeer pause
Out jumps good old Santa Claus
Down thru the chimney with lots of toys
All for the little ones
Christmas joys
Chorus
Ho, ho, ho!
Who wouldnt go!
Ho, ho, ho!
Who wouldnt go!
Up on the housetop
Click, click, click
Down thru the chimney with
Good Saint Nick
First comes the stocking
Of little Nell
Oh, dear Santa
Fill it well
Give her a dolly
That laughs and cries
One that will open
And shut her eyes
Repeat Chorus
Next comes the stocking
Of little Will
Oh, just see what
A glorious fill
Here is a hammer
And lots of tacks
Also a ball
And a whip that cracks

"Up on the Housetop" may well have been the first American song of importance which elaborates on the theme on Santa Claus. It also is one of the first entirely secular Christmas songs composed in the Unite States. Written by little-known Benjamin R. Hanby (1833-1867), sometime in the 1850s or 1860s , and probably in Ohio, this vivacious song could possibly predate the early secular classic, "Jingle Bells" (1857). The best estimate, though, is that Hanby's song was created in the 1860s.
Hanby's life was short, less than 35 years. Yet he did manage to contribute this bouncy song, which is an especial favorite of children, to the enduring literature of the holiday. Furthermore, he may possibly have composed another popular carol, "Jolly Old St NicholasJolly Old Saint Nicholas" which is of roughly the same period and which has a suspiciously similar style of music and lyrics. There is absolutely no evidence that Hanby was responsible for the other song, yet the chronological and stylistic coincidences, plus the total anonymity of "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas," do elicit the conjecture that Hanby might have authored both songs. At the least, Hanby's "Up on the Housetop" may have influenced "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas."

William L. Simon, ed., Reader’s Digest Merry Christmas Songbook (1981)

Very interesting! Thanks for posting.Wink
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 3:31am

Oh, BTW, the thread wasn't about the ad per se, but about the coincidence of it coming on at the exact moment I clicked on a Google link to the lyrics of the song.

Yeah, but now the song is tainted for me forever thanks to its connection to friggin' "Pomplamoose".

Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 3:40am

Yeah, but now the song is tainted for me forever thanks to its connection to friggin' "Pomplamoose".

Well, here's another diddy from Pomplamoose and she looks as lively as ever. I wish someone would stick her with a pin. LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 4:31am
Originally posted by LilRebelChick LilRebelChick wrote:

The woman really gets on my nerves the most. She looks as lackluster as a boiled shoe. No expression or anything. She's got that "put my nightgown down when you're done, Honey" look about her, lol. Confused

She seems to be purposely affecting an expression of doe-eyed innocence as she gazes directly into the camera.

Like she's trying too hard to look cute.

And that guy with the stupid wool hat.

I hate guys who wear wool hats.

Unless they're outside & it's sub-freezing.

C'mon, man!
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilRebelChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 4:33am

Originally posted by LilRebelChick LilRebelChick wrote:

She seems to be purposely affecting an expression of doe-eyed innocence as she gazes directly into the camera.

Like she's trying too hard to look cute.

And that guy with the stupid wool hat.

I hate guys who wear wool hats.

Unless they're outside & it's sub-freezing.

You should see their other vids on youtube! It's scary. She actually sings September by Earth, Wind and FireShockedShockedShocked
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 4:59pm
I saw that......

UGHHH!!!!!

C'mon, man!
clamshell View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clamshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 6:53pm
Can this "band"..it pains me to say that, even record anything original? or are they just a cover "band"?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 7:40pm
From what I understand, they are the latest YouTube "sensation".

I don't think they've even released a record. Or CD. Or mp3 file download. Or whatever the hell it is bands release nowadays.

They should rename themselves "Nauseatingly Cute".

Or better yet.... "We Know You Hope We'll Go Away Soon".

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic