Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's Getting Rediculous...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasHunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's Getting Rediculous...
    Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 6:16pm
Ok, I admit I am a fan of VH1's 'I Love The..." series. The first 80's series was fresh and interesting. The 70's one was Ok. The 90's one was good, sure it seemed a little early, but it was ok. I even enjoyed the Toys countdown one.

However, even I have to double-take at their latest offering "I Love The New Millenium". Basically they're retrospecting a decade that hasn't even ended yet! Confused Isn't this a wee bit premature?

I'm still gonna watch it. It's just odd, is all I am saying
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 9:19pm
Maybe next year they'll come out with I Love the 2010's.

Recently, my 13 y/o neighbor was telling me who all the popular teen stars are right now.  Of all of them, I recognized Hannah Montana.  I asked her if the Pussycat Dolls were popular.  She replied "Ick.  They were like so 3 years ago."  LOL

So maybe I Love the New Millenium is not so preposterous these days.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by DasHunterman DasHunterman wrote:

Ok, I admit I am a fan of VH1's 'I Love The..." series. The first 80's series was fresh and interesting. The 70's one was Ok. The 90's one was good, sure it seemed a little early, but it was ok. I even enjoyed the Toys countdown one.

However, even I have to double-take at their latest offering "I Love The New Millenium". Basically they're retrospecting a decade that hasn't even ended yet! Confused Isn't this a wee bit premature?

I'm still gonna watch it. It's just odd, is all I am saying

Ever since 03 when they started that jazz I KNEW they would do this decade as soon as they could. They probably started filming it as soon as they were done with ILT 90's part deux, and added on with each new year. I haven't seen anything about it, how can they do it when there's still another year that needs completing?
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 9:57pm
I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SPELL RIDICULOUS WITH AN "E".
(Sorry, I had to let that out!)

Now back to the topic at hand. I do agree with you on that.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 11:36pm
Very innaresting.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 12:00am
Like RIDECULOUS?  Wink
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 1:30am
redecules I tell ya
was feeling nostalgic
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 1:33am
I love that series.
If this show ends up being idiotic, I'm gonna be pissed.
Couldn't they just wait until I'm 20? Then it'll be nostalgic. Couldn't they do, IDK, I Love Fashion Trends or something? They're making me feel old and I'm 16!!!

So what day is this supposed to come on again?
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 7:03am
Doan be radikolos, cozzin Laree!LOL
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 8:09am
Oh, you know how it is these days, most kids have ADD, but they can't add or subtract!! LOL That's a joke don't crush your Cheetos. Their attention spans don't last long enough for something to stay fresh longer than a week or two!! I still listen to older 80's and 90's stuff cause those guys knew how to play guitars and that's my main instrument.
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
JimA View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

(Sorry, I had to let that out!)

Now back to the topic at hand. I do agree with you on that.
Yes! That, and spelling lose as loose, and using alot as one word.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 3:26pm
I can't tell the difference between 1998 fashion/music/movies/trends and 2008 fashion/music/movies/trends.  Really.  Since about 1993, it's all looked and sounded the same to me.  So, to be nostalgic about anything from the past 10-15 years just isn't happening for me.

I can watch movies like American History X (1998) and Natural Born Killers (1994)---two of my favorites---and not think of them being at all reminiscent of a bygone era.

Is it just me?  It seems like such cultural things changed radically within the previous decades of my life, especially 1960-1970 and 1970-1980.  1980-1990 seemed less radical.  And since then, it's seemed to have slowed down---now, to a crawl.

I dunno.  Maybe I just stopped paying attention.  I know cell phones have gotten smaller.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 3:35pm
kat View%20Drop%20Down

Commercial Hater
Commercial%20Hater

Online Status: Online

Now how come I've never seen a SpongeBob avatar like that one before?

Given SpongeBob's square shape & general all around coolness, you'd think he'd be popular avatar material.

But I've never seen him in that capacity before.

Me likey.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I can't tell the difference between 1998 fashion/music/movies/trends and 2008 fashion/music/movies/trends.  Really.  Since about 1993, it's all looked and sounded the same to me.  So, to be nostalgic about anything from the past 10-15 years just isn't happening for me.

I can watch movies like American History X (1998) and Natural Born Killers (1994)---two of my favorites---and not think of them being at all reminiscent of a bygone era.

Is it just me?  It seems like such cultural things changed radically within the previous decades of my life, especially 1960-1970 and 1970-1980.  1980-1990 seemed less radical.  And since then, it's seemed to have slowed down---now, to a crawl.

I dunno.  Maybe I just stopped paying attention.  I know cell phones have gotten smaller.

I think you're correct about the cultural changes. Things seem to be getting more & more homogenized & original ideas & concepts outside of electronic technology are getting more & more rare.

And though if you really look hard enough, you'll find that there is still some great new music being produced, though it's getting harder & harder to find mainly because originality isn't what the corporations behind the music want. They want the tried & true to guarantee sales & profits.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 4:05pm
Yeah!  I hear songs from 10-15 years ago, and then I hear songs from now---and I can't really tell which is the older one.  Not that the songs aren't good---they're just not particularly timely.  It sure isn't like the difference between Chubby Checker from 1960 and Black Sabbath from 1970.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 4:12pm
Maybe we should hear from the younger members of CIH on this subject.  Does 1998 seem/look/sound really dated to them?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 4:13pm

I've seen a couple of "retro" style bands that incorporate stylistic influences from the 60's.

Sort of innaresting I guess.

Most of the stuff I hear nowadays is just INCREDIBLY boring, non-descript & mostly indetinguishable from everyone else.

Amy Winehouse was a breath of fresh air for awhile there.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 5:17pm
Yes, she was.  Before she started taking breaths of fresh crack.

While I personally like some of the retro rock music, the fact that it exists is kinda sad.  Part of the appeal of the musical styles I grew up with is that they sort of belonged to me.  Thy weren't my parents'.  My parents, in fact, hated it.  Except for the occasional Sha Na Na bands or Pointer Sisters songs or even Stray Cats purist rockabilly stuff, our music was not of the hand-me-down variety.

The fact that some of the better and more "serious" rock music that exists out there being 60's or 70's in sound, does not bode well for rock music.  Rock music's supposed to constantly redefine itself, not adopt its parents.

I guess you could say I dislike "retro" as much as I like it.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 6:31pm
Just wait until they start covering 2001, and then you JUST KNOW they're going to make a sick joke about 9/11, if they do I think I'll puke.

HOWEVER if the decide to be a little respectable about the event itself, and then WAIL on the idiocy of the 9/11 "Truth" movement (which by the way originated from a jackass who made a terrible "documentary" that was originally intended to be a fictional story,make up of mostly quotes taken out of context,unbelievable theories with no evidence to support them, and out of this world paranoia) then they definately have my permission.

I can't remember having any nostolgia of this decade I mean sure 2000 and early 2001 was great, but it wasn't extraordinarily awesome, however 1999 seems more nostalgic in comparison and thats pretty much where I draw the nostalgia line, because things seemed radically different then from my perspective.

Heck, the only reason why people seem to have nostolgia for the 90's is because we remember that nothing really that awfully horribly unbelievably bad happened in that decade. Sure,sure bad stuff did happen but not on a unbelievably devastating scale like currently.    
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Heck, the only reason why people seem to have nostolgia for the 90's is because we remember that nothing really that awfully horribly unbelievably bad happened in that decade sure,sure bad stuff did happen but not on a unbelievably devastating scale like currently.    

Whew, that was one wild sentence!
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

kat View%20Drop%20Down

Commercial Hater
Commercial%20Hater

Online Status: Online

Now how come I've never seen a SpongeBob avatar like that one before?

Given SpongeBob's square shape & general all around coolness, you'd think he'd be popular avatar material.

But I've never seen him in that capacity before.

Me likey.

Thank you. Spongebob is B.A. and I don't mean he has a bachelor's degree.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Ryan Ferneau View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Ferneau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 4:57am
Originally posted by Skibibbles Skibibbles wrote:

Diculous again!

Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Heck, the only reason why people seem to have nostolgia for the 90's is because we remember that nothing really that awfully horribly unbelievably bad happened in that decade. Sure,sure bad stuff did happen but not on a unbelievably devastating scale like currently.

What are you talking about?  What about the Flood of '93?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 2:18pm
I may have to watch I Love the New Millenium.  That way I can know about all the current pop culture I don't really care about.

ozric1847 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozric1847 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 5:12pm
I cant watch these shows anymore, as soon as I see Hal Sparks begin to open his face, i have to run and vomit.  Same ol formulas starting to get old and predictable.  Retro item or event from the past, que D list celebrities cracking corny jokes and repeat.  The "Not just another Cable Newshow" is also following this formula, except repeatedly during the day, they break from the actual news to promote this show and show you snippets as often as they can.  
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 7:14pm

I had to start pronouncing ridiculous as rid-iculous in my head so I wouldn't forget how to spell it.  Although it is spelled ridiculous it is for the most part pronounced reediculous.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic