Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Radio Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not about commercials, but about radio

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not about commercials, but about radio
    Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 10:24am
specifically a radio format. so I guess it really is about commercials after all.

have any of you heard of the "classic hits" format? it's a "modernization" of the oldies format. it's mostly 70's music and is REPETITIVE AS HELL. I personally describe it as "cell phone commercial music".
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 2:28pm
My problem with Classic or Oldies formats is exactly what you say---they're repetitive as hell.  Instead of playing the songs that were actually played on the radio back in the 60s or 70s, they only play the most popular songs...as if I need to hear Respect or We Will Rock You yet one more time.

I once had a hankerin' at work to hear Lady Jane by the Rolling Stones.  So, I called an oldies station that took requests, and I requested it.  They told me "no way", even though that song was a top 40 AM song in the mid-60s.  I guess it would cut into the umpteenth broadcast of Yesterday that day.

I'd like to hear such stations pick a day from the "oldies" era or the "classic" era, and just play what was actually being played that day.  The next day, they could pick another day from the oldies or classic rock era. 

Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 12:33am
I didn't find the oldies format to be that repetitive. they played music from the 50s-early to mid 70s. doo-wop, early rock and roll, motown, british invasion, psychedelic music, protest songs, classic rock, elvis, etc.

the classic hits format seemingly only plays

billy joel, elton john, james taylor, songs that have consistently made the lists of "worst songs ever" such as "love will keep us together" and "the pina colada song", and songs that have been predominantly featured in tv commercials such as "come and get your love". also they play covers of oldies songs by 70s bands (what's the point?)
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 4:47am
What irritates me so much is that when music gets to a certain age, it loses its association with its original "genre" (if it ever even fell into just one), and gets lumped into "classic rock" with a bunch of other stuff that's not that similar. Not too long ago I was listening to a station that was labeled as classic rock, and they went from playing CCR to Psychedelic Furs... I like both bands, but they're really nothing alike... it's like all music that's more than a certain age just becomes "crap people over thirty grew up with".Dead
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
DesertX View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 5:11am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I once had a hankerin' at work to hear Lady Jane by the Rolling Stones.  So, I called an oldies station that took requests, and I requested it.  They told me "no way", even though that song was a top 40 AM song in the mid-60s.  I guess it would cut into the umpteenth broadcast of Yesterday that day.

I guess you figured out the how the request line works. They make listeners feel empowered by giving them a line to call whenever they want to hear a particular song, when 9 out of 10 requests don't get played (or they're already in so much heavy rotation, that the request is a moot point).
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 5:30am
Originally posted by DesertX DesertX wrote:

I guess you figured out the how the request line works. They make listeners feel empowered by giving them a line to call whenever they want to hear a particular song, when 9 out of 10 requests don't get played (or they're already in so much heavy rotation, that the request is a moot point).

When I worked in community radio, we played requests within the next couple of sets - however, we had a lot more freedom to play what we wanted because we only had a theme for the specific show, not a specific play list determined what was deemed to be the "it" thing.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 1:41pm
When I was a youth, I once called an easy listening station to request Oh, Bondage, Up Yours (by X-ray Spex).  It was in the days when "easy listening" meant actual Muzak, not Whitney Houston songs or Journey ballads.  I thought I was being funny. 

Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 6:33am
A Classic Rock station near me played freakin Guns N' Roses...but at least it didn't play Nirvana...
Coffee- The new opiate of the people.
Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 6:56am
I think classic rock is used to mean rock songs before "alternative" "rock" became the popular form of rock in the early 90's
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

I think classic rock is used to mean rock songs before "alternative" "rock" became the popular form of rock in the early 90's

Never quite understood how the popular music could ever be called alternative.  I liked it better in the 70s when it really was an alternative.  I'd say that anything you'd hear on an alternative station nowadays isn't really that "alternative".

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 6:07pm
I recently saw a TIME/LIFE ad on TV for what was essentially the adult hit songs of the '60s.
Wow, I had forgotten how boring some of those songs really were. LOL

We sort of take for granted that the hits of the '60s were The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, etc. etc.  In reality that was not the case at all.  Songs like, "Love is Blue" (Embarrassed which I admit I like) were the real smashes of that top 40 of the day.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

I recently saw a TIME/LIFE ad on TV for what was essentially the adult hit songs of the '60s.

We sort of take for granted that the hits of the '60s were The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, etc. etc.  In reality that was not the case at all.  Songs like, "Love is Blue" (Embarrassed which I admit I like) were the real smashes of that top 40 of the day.

I'm a big fan of that stuff, musicman.  A while back I scored these two double CDs called Music to Watch Girls By.  About 70 songs by Andy Williams, Louis Armstrong, Vic Damone,  Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Glen Campbell, Percy Faith, etc.

One of my all-time easy listening faves:

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 11:11pm
Seems like the stations mostly play the songs that they pay the littlest royalties on.  I've even heard of stations that used "canned callers" to "request" songs....
Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 5:38am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Seems like the stations mostly play the songs that they pay the littlest royalties on.  I've even heard of stations that used "canned callers" to "request" songs....
I heard today on the local classic hits station a guy call up and say "yeah, can I hear "locomotion" by grand funk railroad." seemed abnormal when i'm sure most people would rather listen to the original.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 1:16am
My local rock station 99.1 WPLR plays "Under Pressure" by David Bowie which IMHO is NOT a rock song. Why the **** they do this I don't know. I official hate every inch of that song it is overplayed to DEATH. Angry
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
keyboardplayer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 2:10am
Thanks to whoever posted this instrumental video. I'm a dork, but I like that stuff. I'm actually a huge Floyd Cramer fan myself. Topic, the new oldies stations/classic hits stuff really sucks. I miss my XM radio so bad.
This is your brain on commercials.
cybhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cybhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 2:45pm
I concur. Even though the providence radio market is jammed full of radio station (try finding an empty frequency to use a RF transmitter), It seems that all the radio station all play crap (or overplayed stuff) at the same time. Take for example, the local alternative station is constantly playing Changing by the Airborne toxic event (repetition ad nasuem), or something by Nirvana (IE Lithium). What
doesn't help is the fact is the oldies station seems to constantly play "Sweet Home Alabama" or play 80's music (when was 80's music considered old).  Thank god I have a mp3 player in the car that I tend to listen to (now if only the tape deck worked with the adapter or the rf transmitter produced more power...)

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by cybhunter cybhunter wrote:

I concur. Even though the providence radio market is jammed full of radio station (try finding an empty frequency to use a RF transmitter), It seems that all the radio station all play crap (or overplayed stuff) at the same time. Take for example, the local alternative station is constantly playing Changing by the Airborne toxic event (repetition ad nasuem), or something by Nirvana (IE Lithium). What
doesn't help is the fact is the oldies station seems to constantly play "Sweet Home Alabama" or play 80's music (when was 80's music considered old).  Thank god I have a mp3 player in the car that I tend to listen to (now if only the tape deck worked with the adapter or the rf transmitter produced more power...)

I was lucky enough in the early 80s to have the best local college radio station where I lived---KUSF in San Francisco.  They not only played the alternative music of the era (punk-rock/new wave), but they'd throw in stuff like Dean Martin, Spike Jones, and even Sweet Home, Alabama on a regular basis.

smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 12:36am

When I was a youth, I once called an easy listening station to request Oh, Bondage, Up Yours (by X-ray Spex).  It was in the days when "easy listening" meant actual Muzak, not Whitney Houston songs or Journey ballads.  I thought I was being funny. 

Anyone familiar with the Music Of Your Life format?  When I was in high school, my then-stepfather had this on the radio almost constantly(either that or country).  They had what they called the  "Music Of Your Life Club", where you sent in your name and address and three favorite songs on a postcard, making you eligible for discounts from participating merchants.  I always thought about sending one in, listing songs like Stairway To Heaven, Layla, and 25 Or 6 To 4. Smile

Nowadays, I rarely, if ever, listen to the radio; usually it's my CD's or the Music Choice channels on digital cable.

Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

My problem with that whole idea of "Classic" anything is a similar one to that. People take that idea of what "dates well" and what "dates badly" and act like it's etched in stone. So they take a tiny fraction of " ' 60s music" (and even if it's GREAT music, it's STILL a tiny fraction), and make it sound like it's all there was.
It's like what they do with the ' 50s and "blonde bombshell" actresses. There's Marilyn Monroe, and either there's no one else, or they're all a pack of Marilyn Monroe wannabees, who usually deserve to be mentioned for about ten seconds (supposedly).
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

My problem with that whole idea of "Classic" anything is a similar one to that. People take that idea of what "dates well" and what "dates badly" and act like it's etched in stone. So they take a tiny fraction of " ' 60s music" (and even if it's GREAT music, it's STILL a tiny fraction), and make it sound like it's all there was.

Yes.  Example:

The Ballad of the Green Berets by Staff Sgt. Barry Sadler.

Wikipedia says...
The song was the No. 1 hit in the U.S. for five weeks in 1966, and was the No. 21 song of 1960s, despite the later unpopularity of the Vietnam War. It has sold over nine million singles and albums. It was the top single of a year in which the British Invasion, led by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, dominated the U.S. charts. The charts were "dominated" by soul and surfer music.

And when was the last time an oldies station played this?  I don't think I've heard it once on the radio since it was a hit.

keyboardplayer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 7:10pm
Back when Nashville had an oldies station, they played this song a lot. I love that song. And oh my word, the music of your life network! Sometimes when I would get bored and want to analyze you know what, I would listen to a college radio station that played that stuff. They're a little better now because they play some 50s and even newer stuff, but they ticked me off because their online feed would come back from a commercial break and be right in the middle of a song. They did that once during my beloved Last Date by Floyd Cramer and that was just wrong. Plus they kept playing the same PSA's over and over at every break.
This is your brain on commercials.
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 10:49pm
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but classic rock radio is rather abysmal.
I love classic rock, it's pretty much all I listen to.
But this is just insane.

Ingredients For Classic Rock Radio:
The same four or five songs by The Rolling Stones: Angie and You Can't Always Get What You Want repeatedly.
The same three songs by The Beatles along with that one cover of 'Come Together' they keep playing instead of the original.
The same three songs by Lynyrd Skynyrd, including lots and lots of Sweet Home Alabama.
The same four songs by AC/DC: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Rock N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, Hell's Bells and Highway to Hell.
Overplay Aerosmith.
A handful of songs off of Led Zeppelins Greatest Hits, none of their other songs get any playtime.
A copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon and a couple songs off of The Wall. Also, anyone ever notice that a good portion of songs from DSOTM never get played?
Overplay the same Journey/Bon Jovi/Tom Petty songs over and over.
A sparse sampling of Lou Reed & The Velvet Underground, Neil Young, Motley Crue, Van Halen, Black Sabbath and ZZ Top.
Two songs by Alice Cooper, which are 'No More Mr. Nice Guy' and 'School's Out', don't they realize he has more songs?
The same four songs by Jimi Hendrix on constant rotation. Hey Joe, Purple Haze, cover of All Along The Watchtower, The Wind Cries Mary. That's pretty much it. Seriously, Hendrix has an impressive body of work. Why in the hell can't they play more than four of his songs?
Throw in some Nirvana/Godsmack just to piss people off.
DJ with a bad attitude and hardcore ways.
Hardcore station commercials with clips of various classic rock riffs coupled with more hardcore bleeped out cursing or 'clever' wordplay.
Boner-pill commercials.

Presto!
You now have your very own Classic Rock station.

Seriously, any moderate fan of classic rock would have more varied tastes than what the stations are pumping out.

Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 7:43pm
Again, that's true of "Classic" ANYTHING. No matter what the category is, people take a kind of vote on which things "stand the test of time," and they throw everything else out!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by Grant Grant wrote:

Again, that's true of "Classic" ANYTHING. No matter what the category is, people take a kind of vote on which things "stand the test of time," and they throw everything else out!

But I'll bet if you took a vote, most people would say they're tired of hearing the same old stuff over and over on these stations.  They need to come up with a formula other than "most popular songs".  I'm sure, by now, fans of classic rock don't have any burning desire to hear Led Zeppelin's Rock and Roll again.

There's also a problem with the way they seem to decide what gets played.  If everyone had, as their favorite song, something more obscure than Yesterday, these stations would still not be playing those more obscure favorites.  They'd still insist on playing Yesterday simply because it might be everyone's 80th most favorite song.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic