Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Robitussin: ad with monkey with a cold.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robitussin: ad with monkey with a cold.
    Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 12:34am
I'm sick of seeing this commercial that wants to cutesify monkeys. Monkeys are not cute! They're wild animals that should not be played around with!Angry Remember what happened to that lady in Connecticut she got her face ripped off by one of those things! THATS what I see when I see this commercial.Angry
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 12:55am
I shouldn't even say anything here...but, I kind of like these.  Especially when the guy looks at the monkey.
A new study finds that people who are chipper & happy live longer. Which is surprising because people who aren't chipper & happy want to kill people who are always chipper & happy. David Letterman
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 1:07am
That... I think is a chimpanzee or an orangutan? No, it's a chimp. And you are right. People really should not keep those for pets ever. They are strong, once they hit puberty they are very dangerous and they do better in the wild with other chimpanzees unless folks know what they are doing, scientists and such. 
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
macpic70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macpic70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 1:48am
It was actually originally filmed with an orangutan, but PETA protested and the orangutan was digitally replaced with a CGI chimp.

http://www.primatepatrol.org/action_alerts/archive/robitussin_thankyou/

Very weird.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 2:04am
Thank goodness for that commercial!
As soon as I saw it, I ran right out and got the wife a purple scarf...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Zach6848 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach6848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 8:09am
I really don't actually mind this one. I like chimps. But I do agree, they shouldn't be kept as pets/hobby animals, they can be very violent when somehow disgruntled and from what I hear it's easy to piss them off, and you never know what might piss a primate off. Leave it to the zoo-keepers and sanctuaries.
Phil View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 10:28am
1. it's an ape, not a monkey
2. I hate how the narrator talks like HE has a cold, too.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 9:56pm

Monkeys, apes, orangutans they all scare the ever loving piss outof me.

And that story about the Stamford, CT woman gave me nightmares. Poor lady.

The artist formerly known as Madawee

dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 10:59pm
Ugh, like a monkey/ape/chimp would realize he needs medicine, let alone a specific name brand like Robitussin? Disapprove The only thing this ad has in it that is good is that they don't do the Brand Power effect where the entire 50-ft aisle is filled only with the product being advertised.  At least you see competitors in this ad.  
Welcome to Commercial Land. This is a magical place where all women look up while eating, and it is perfectly acceptable to slurp the hell out of a Dannon yogurt cup.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 12:44am
I hate this commercial, and monkeys scare the    out of me!!
macpic70 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macpic70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 2:08am
When I first saw this spot, I took it for a not-so-subtle wink (aka "ripoff") of the concept, "So easy, a caveman (ape) can do it."

SqaurePeg61 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SqaurePeg61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 12:10am
I just got a mental image of a monkey wreaking havoc while drunk on Robitussin!  LOL
ratattack View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratattack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 7:09pm
that ad just creeps me out, and YES, I think of that poor woman getting her face ripped off by one of those "cute" animals
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic