Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transitions Lenses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transitions Lenses
    Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 3:39am

These ads are ridiculously oh-so-seriouso.  And what is up with that voiceover accent.  I can't place it. Such a pretentious ad.  They always have been.  I remember the last one...."The future is now". 

The accent really makes me cringe though. 
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

Sponsored Links

nanners View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nanners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 10:56am
It's funny because in real life, transitions lenses are really lame and only utter dweebs and pedophiles wear them.
SheRa View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SheRa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 2:56pm
Is that the one with the extremely pretentious "wildlife photographer" woman who makes it seem like we all spend our workdays roaming the African countryside, searching for that perfect shot of an endangered species while sporting our ugly transitions lenses?  If so, it contains every element of pretentiousness in advertising:

-a rich white person with some impossibly awesome and stressful job
-a totally unnecessary product that very few people in the real world would ever need
-exotic locales very few people in the real world could ever go to
-a fake european accent
-cheesy "African" tribal music (elements of imperialism, perhaps?)

HATE that commercial! 
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 5:11pm
Couldn't have said it better myself.  And yes, that is the one.  Ugh.
ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by nanners nanners wrote:

It's funny because in real life, transitions lenses are really lame and only utter dweebs and pedophiles wear them.

I must be an utter dweeb then, most sure I am not a pedophile, because I wear them.  However, they should show the lady walking inside and taking off her glasses.  I know mine take a couple minutes to go back to normal when I go inside.  I think I look like a dumbass wearing shades inside.Cool
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by nanners nanners wrote:

I gotta plastic pocket protector and glasses that transition...you got any children I can meet?Evil%20Smile
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 9:37pm
Oh great: now I have to warn my kid about strangers with pocket protectors AND magic glasses!
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

Oh great: now I have to warn my kid about strangers with pocket protectors AND magic glasses!

LOL Do you know how hard it is to clean wet, chewed popcorn and green tea out if my keyboard?!LOL
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 10:13pm
Not to mention that "transition" glasses have been around since the 80's.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 12:08am

The commercial.
mst3k4evr View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mst3k4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 12:55am
I have Transitions lenses and I loathe them. I got them because my eye doctor thought that they would help me with some eye problems I was having; I realized after I bought them that I should have said "thanks, but no thanks." I'm getting prescription sunglasses the next time I get my eyes checked.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 1:43am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

Not to mention that "transition" glasses have been around since the 80's.

Way earlier than that.   I know I had light to dark lenses in my sunglasses in the 70's
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
SmartAlx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmartAlx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 4:53am
Dude, but the woman in the commercial is GORGEOUS! I don't mind that commercial at all.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 5:11am
Originally posted by SheRa SheRa wrote:

Is that the one with the extremely pretentious "wildlife photographer" woman who makes it seem like we all spend our workdays roaming the African countryside, searching for that perfect shot of an endangered species while sporting our ugly transitions lenses?  If so, it contains every element of pretentiousness in advertising:

-a rich white person with some impossibly awesome and stressful job
-a totally unnecessary product that very few people in the real world would ever need
-exotic locales very few people in the real world could ever go to
-a fake european accent
-cheesy "African" tribal music (elements of imperialism, perhaps?)

HATE that commercial! 

Agreed, that music is downright HORRIBLE, really bad representation.Angry
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
SokMunkie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SokMunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 7:16am
Originally posted by mst3k4evr mst3k4evr wrote:

I have Transitions lenses and I loathe them. I got them because my eye doctor thought that they would help me with some eye problems I was having; I realized after I bought them that I should have said "thanks, but no thanks." I'm getting prescription sunglasses the next time I get my eyes checked.

Actually, you can find some attractive snap-on sunglasses that go over your regular glasses.  I got mine for $20.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 8:22am
When I hear this commercial start, I always think it's Marlee Matlin.  I swear, she sounds like a deaf person talking!  (Just at the very beginning: "In my work."
aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 5:29pm
I remember a few people I went to high school with had the transition lenses and when it came time for yearbook pictures, the lights caused their lenses to go dark, so they look like they're wearing sunglasses for their yearbook picture!  LOL
"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

When I hear this commercial start, I always think it's Marlee Matlin.  I swear, she sounds like a deaf person talking!  (Just at the very beginning: "In my work."
...that's odd - I thought the same thing...

BrianO View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Deleted Account

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 5:49pm
Everybody sing along with the music...BUM-MMM..BUM-MMM....BUM-MMM...BUM-MMM...wait, isn't that the theme from What's Happening!? Hey HEY Hey!Wink
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 6:31pm
I've been thinking about getting script shades.
Riding my motorcycle with plain glasses makes me squint too much, and my sunglasses aren't much help when trying to see street signs.

How much do the sunglasses from the eye doctor cost these days??
was feeling nostalgic
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 6:49pm
Shad...I'm wondering if "America's Best", or some deep-discount eyeglass provider might be worth a look into. Might be a cheap 'trial investment'...

We just ran a thread out on them, recently - I'm thinking you can get some awfully good glasses - and I suspect even 'transitions', very affordably (I've got transitions, for regular, day-to-day; they were +/- $300; I've spent as much as $800; my current favorites are regular ol' lined bifocals (and NOT transitions) - $50).
HollyRock also has performed some research and has a good, educated opinion; I think I'd check with her...  

meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

Riding my motorcycle with plain glasses makes me squint too much, and my sunglasses aren't much help when trying to see street signs.

I have RX reading glasses and RX sunglasses for distance. I almost tried the transition lenses earlier this year, but decided not to.  I like having clear sharp lenses for reading and indoors and was advised by the optical place that transitions will never get as clear as a regular pair.  I have always had a separate pair for driving, just have them use a darker tint and tell them that they will be used as sunglasses, I have been going to BJ's wholesale optical and they offer the tint in brown or gray and I did get a better quality frame and had them just use the distance part of the RX...it was around $100.00, but you could get them cheaper.  You could also get a regular pair that includes the snap on sunglass piece, I've had those also and they work good, but I had to get bi-focals this time and can't use the same pair for driving.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by shadow shadow wrote:

From the eye doctor, you'll pay at least $300.

I got excited about your post, because PaWolf is right, I've done some experimenting with eyeglass shopping online.

I got 'scrip sunglasses for $30 including shipping from Optical4Less (in Hong Kong) and I love them, and some "fun" backup eyeglasses from GlobalEyeGlasses (in New York state) for, ahem, $8.50.  I think shipping was another 8 but also got a pair for my husband, and they shipped together.  They were cheeeeeeeeeeeap.  The quality is excellent.

I don't have any experience with this particular site, but they offer goggles that might be just right for you (?) for $50.  The prescription lenses pop in from behind.

http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/ is a good resource to start your research.

* You need your prescription, from your eye doctor, which by law they have to share with you.  Be sure to ask for your pupillary distance, which may not be on the prescription when they write it down, or tell you over the phone.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 1:20am
I like the one where they portray a jetsonesque society about how "in the future" we will have transition lenses. Only that is today..
No. In the future we will have robot laser vision,
not creepy used car salesman glasses
paluma0268 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paluma0268 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 1:23am
I can't stand these commercials either.  Transitions rolled out these commercials to promote the next generation of these lenses.  They darken faster and lighten up faster than the previous generations.  The lenses that would stay dark and never lighten up were either glass photogray or the older versions of transitions.  Most transition lenses now (as of the new version release in Feb) do not stay tinted or never return to clear.  Most of the time, you can't even tell that a person is wearing transition lenses, unless you see them outside. 

Yes, I am an optician.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic