Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst thing to get in your trick or treat bag?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst thing to get in your trick or treat bag?
    Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 1:23am
Inspired by a thread about a stupid commercial where somebody is giving out pancakes I decided to make a thread about the worst stuff to get in your halloween bag. So what are the worst things you ever got in your halloween bag?

I'll get this tread started. Some of the worst things I ever got while trick or treating are Necco wafers and toothbrushes. Them Necco wafers tasted like dirt.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Sponsored Links

Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 1:32am
I hated anything with marshmallow or any cheap, waxy chocolate candy.  Bad chocolate that doesn't even melt in your mouth, but remains in there to be chewed like gum. ConfusedDead

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
ThreadKiller View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 3:23am

Agree with Virginia...cheap/bad/old chocolate.

I'm not a hard candy guy so I never liked it when people held out a dish of wrapped, individual pieces of hard candy so you could take a few pieces. Meh.

Many years ago, before it was considered unsafe to give kids homemade stuff, I used to get quite a few homemade popcorn balls. Didn't really care for those either.

My preferences ran to chocolate bars (of course), Bonomo taffy, Sugar Daddies, and the little boxes of Junior Mints and malted milk balls, and packs of Goetze's caramel creams.
Hundreds of threads killed.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:05am
I remember getting those popcorn balls every year. Also I'm surprised with how so many people hate candy corn.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:27am
Religious pamphlets....
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:33am
Oh gawd...candy corn!!  You always forget the obvious thing!  Dead  
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:35pm
Candy corn is the worst candy out there. Don't EVER give me any or else it'll get thrown back at you.

I also don't like...
- licorice
- caramels
- Tootsie Rolls
- Good 'n' Plenty, Mike and Ike or any other candy like that
- Chuckles
- anything with coconut in it
- root beer barrels Dead
- the cheap kind of gum that loses its flavor after five seconds of chewing it
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Candy corn is the worst candy out there. Don't EVER give me any or else it'll get thrown back at you.

I also don't like...
- licorice
- caramels
- Tootsie Rolls
- Good 'n' Plenty, Mike and Ike or any other candy like that
- anything with coconut in it
You can pass them on to me!  All my favorites! ^  I agree on anything flavored with root beer or wintergreen.  Dead

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Religious pamphlets....
Shocked...I actually forgot about people tossing those in the sack - yea, I got some of them and 'holy cards', too.
Like somebody thought there was even the slightest chance of 'saving' us.
Not quite 'the spirit of Halloween', doncha know...
SO wrong in so many ways.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 7:32pm

When we run out candy, I stick my finger in the kid's bag and flip my finger against the side. It sounds just like I put something in there....

It's fun to watch them try to figure out what I just put in their bag.....

(of course I'm jk)  Wink

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

When we run out candy, I stick my finger in the kid's bag and flip my finger against the side. It sounds just like I put something in there....

It's fun to watch them try to figure out what I just put in their bag.....

(of course I'm jk)  Wink

LOLHooty, if you know that trick, you are not joking...I've pulled that one off before, too... 
(I had a great uncle - a professional magician, by trade - that was one of the first "magic tricks" he taught me - used to call it "catching invisible balls")
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Religious pamphlets....
Shocked...I actually forgot about people tossing those in the sack - yea, I got some of them and 'holy cards', too.

That's how I got saved! 11/01/70
Poiuyt Power!!!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 9:25pm
Ditto on the Necco Wafers, they were like eating medicine tablets.
I liked apples but didn't appreciate them at Halloween, they weighed my candy bag down and I could always get apples at home.
Chocolate with cherry filling - still hate that stuff.
That Bazooka Joe bubblegum that was hard as a brick.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 9:50pm
I guess the only bad things I got were the things I'd never end up eating.  That was probably limited to those popcorn balls.

But that was no big deal.  Back when I was a kid, we got so much candy, we were eating it into the next year.  Those Halloween bags would sometimes tear due to the weight.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

.  Back when I was a kid, we got so much candy, we were eating it into the next year.  Those Halloween bags would sometimes tear due to the weight.

That happened to me and my brother once, at Kadena in '69.  The bag was so full the handles broke.  That would be a night to relive....
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 2:50am
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Religious pamphlets....

That's how I got saved! 11/01/70
Big%20smileThumbs%20UpThat's actually fantastic, Reg.
Lots of 'webs' out in this big ol' goofy world - it's great to hear that this one actually works; always great when any catches a misguided soul. Guess just some more proof that a harmless action that seems inappropriate to one is but a life-long blessing for another. 
~~~
Guess, as a kid, EVERYTHING that ended up in my bag was destined for the next year's donations if it wasn't a mini-milky way, or some other soft-chocolate...or an original tootsie-roll, or chick-a-stik (to this day, I do not know why I like them - but I do!).
I have all the apples and oranges to my Mom, so she could trash 'em (as we did with our children's 'fresh goodies') - NEVER allowed.
(note: We used to spend an hour or so going through our own Pup's treasures before allowing them to go into sugar-induced comas - too many sick individuals out there)      
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 4:21am

(note: We used to spend an hour or so going through our own Pup's treasures before allowing them to go into sugar-induced comas - too many sick individuals out there)      

Yeah I remember as a kid we would often go to the local hospital after trick or treating. They would screen your candy for you. I think they probably still do.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 4:43am
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

Yeah I remember as a kid we would often go to the local hospital after trick or treating. They would screen your candy for you. I think they probably still do.
What do you mean "often go"?  Halloween is once a year.  Tongue   Did they give it an MRI??      LOL  I'd say if you need to take your Halloween candy to the hospital for "screening" you'd better move out of the neighborhood you're in.  And that's sad! 

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 5:05am

I think they would run the bags through an X-Ray machine. Better safe than sorry. Like Pa said there are some sick sons of bitches out there.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

...LOL  I'd say if you need to take your Halloween candy to the hospital for "screening" you'd better move out of the neighborhood you're in.  And that's sad! 
Confused...must have been nice to have been 'sheltered as a child', eh?
Hospitals do indeed do that - always seemed better than treating new patients.
Granted, we, as caring, semi-intelligent parents took that responsibility upon ourselves - and we were lucky.
All the same...what D79 mentions has been a rather standard 'wise practice' (and not humorous whatsoever) for many parents, for a number of years now. I simply do not understand what you find "funny" with it - and THAT is sad.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 5:48am
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I think they would run the bags through an X-Ray machine. Better safe than sorry.

We "trick or treated" in our own neighborhood,  and our Pop went with us.  So yes we were safe.  And happy.  It was a happy time.  I grew up in the 60's and all our candy came from people we KNEW and our "trick or treating" was safely monitored.  We didn't accept treats from houses we did not know, thus eliminating danger--not that we had any anyway.  Happy times!!  The thought of having edibles "x-rayed" is quite disturbing to me!  

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 7:36am
All of that fear, for naught.

Per Wikipedia:
The poisoned candy scare was a moral panic in the United States (and Canada) during the 1970s and 1980s regarding the threat that children could be in danger of ingesting razor blades, needles, or poison introduced to candy by tampering, especially during traditional Halloween trick-or-treating. Apart from one incident—actually an act of premeditated murder by a trick-or-treater's father—there have been no recorded incidents of deliberately poisoned candy during Halloween or any similar occasion.

Still, I think a little bit of fear adds to the fun of Halloween.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 4:11pm
WinkThey never caught you, did they, Thor?

Tell me you are not serious...you believe everything you read in Wikipedia?!LOL
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 4:20pm
We had a Metal Detector that we'd run over the Candy Bars to make sure nothing was inside them!Thumbs%20Up 

In 1970 (The same year i got "Saved") we had a new member of the Family, a Labrador Retriever Puppy. We Already had another dog, a Miniature Poodle. When I returned from my Round, I opened the bag and emptied it on the Living Room Sofa. The Poodle jumped up on the Sofa, the Labrador Retriever went to the side of the Couch and tried to sniff the Candy, however the Poodle came up to the edge of the couch and bared her teeth at the Puppy, "Guarding" the Candy for me! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

We had a Metal Detector that we'd run over the Candy Bars to make sure nothing was inside them!Thumbs%20Up 

Wouldn't help with a piece of glass-filled Bazooka, though.  Tongue

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic