Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Christmas is here!!! Christmas is here!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas is here!!! Christmas is here!!!
    Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 4:28am
Made a stop in Walmart after work today and sure enough, the Christmas trimmings are out for sale in the (formerly) garden area. Indoor and outdoor lights, mostly, along with a few other outdoor decorations.

I'm sure by this weekend the trees and outdoor inflatables will be out. Hope they have carols playing!!!

Seriously...I guess I'm starting to expect this so it's not quite the shock it used to be. But still, I'd really like to get at least Halloween behind us before we start on Christmas.

So what signs of the holidays are you seeing in your neck of the woods?
Hundreds of threads killed.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

Seriously...I guess I'm starting to expect this so it's not quite the shock it used to be. But still, I'd really like to get at least Halloween behind us before we start on Christmas.

I'd like to get Thanksgiving behind us before we start on Christmas.  But, alas, there's little money to be made on Thanksgiving. 

Seems there's always a "reason for a season", whether it be Valentine's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Graduation Day, Halloween or Christmas.  I think the only reason there's a big-money-holiday gap between "Dads and Grads" and Halloween, is that summer is reserved for vacation spending, and then comes "back-to-school" spending.  An actual holiday (4th of July doesn't count as it doesn't warrant much spending) would be pointless.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 3:42pm
The Dollar Tree has had Christmas decorations out for about a week or so.

The Halloween stuff has already been crammed up into one corner while the Thanksgiving & Christmas stuff is taking center stage.

All this talk of the Dollar Tree reminds me.... I need to go there & pick up a couple of bags of meatballs.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

All this talk of the Dollar Tree reminds me.... I need to go there & pick up a couple of bags of meatballs.

Are you talking about the Circle Ranch Homestyle Meatballs?  They come in a red bag?  I get those all the time.  Probably have ten bags in the freezer right now.  They don't exactly taste like the meatballs I make (but then again they're primarily ground chicken), but they're OK---a good snack.

I got hooked on their Floresta frozen ravioli for awhile, too.  But they haven't had them for months.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 7:10pm
I saw an ad in our local Pennysaver that was adorned with Christmas ornaments and on the radio, I heard a "Santa Claus" ad. Don't ask me what the product was- probably electronics, but I tend to zone out on anything but music when I'm in the car.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 10:46pm
Lowes has started. Just to the left when you pass the "Hi, howya doing" greeter person, I saw Christmas decorations out. They still have a few riding lawn mowers chained out front. I'll give them 'til the end of the month when they put snow blowers out.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Are you talking about the Circle Ranch Homestyle Meatballs?  They come in a red bag?  I get those all the time.  Probably have ten bags in the freezer right now.  They don't exactly taste like the meatballs I make (but then again they're primarily ground chicken), but they're OK---a good snack.

Yep!!! Them's the ones.

I knew I'd get a response from you if I mentioned meatballs!!! LOLLOL

But you're right, those things are a good snack. I like to eat them cold right out of the fridge. I'll munch on them with those little potato stick things, or like this afternoon, with some (Dollar Tree) nacho tortilla chips or, rolled up in a slice of nice, soft Cobblestone Mill potato bread. Tater tots go good with them, too.

One of these days soon, I'm gonna put a bag of them in a baking dish, dump a jar of spaghetti sauce & a bag of shredded mozzerella over it & bake it. Maybe eat them with garlic bread.

I've made meatball subs out of them too.

They taste fine, but my only complaint is that they don't really fill you up. It's like eating turkey or chicken hot dogs. They just don't hit the spot like beef does.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 1:45am
Cry(I was hopin' I was gonna open a XMAS present for myself when I opened this thread...)

We're fortunate...have not seen a single reference to XMAS, yet..anywhere.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 1:46am
Jimbo and Thor.......Nooooooooooo!!! Please don't eat those nasty things! Ever see a pic of "mechanically separated chicken??    LOL  http://davescupboard.blogspot.com/2009/06/circle-ranch-homestyle-meatballs.html

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 1:53am

Yep!!! Them's the ones.

DeadYAHOO! Cowboy Caviar! 'NutMunchies'!
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

Jimbo and Thor.......Nooooooooooo!!! Please don't eat those nasty things! Ever see a pic of "mechanically separated chicken??    LOL  http://davescupboard.blogspot.com/2009/06/circle-ranch-homestyle-meatballs.html

I am NOT going to look at that!!!!

I did NOT look at that!!!! Ermm

LOL

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 2:00am
OK.... I looked at it.

Thank God there were no pictures of mechanically separated chicken!!!!

But I suppose we'd be pretty grossed out if we knew what went into most of the processed food we eat.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 2:01am
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 2:02am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Yep!!! Them's the ones.

DeadYAHOO! Cowboy Caviar! 'NutMunchies'!

After a few beers & a case of the beer munchies, they'd be looking pretty good.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 2:55am
You're all missing the point.

It's $1.

LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 2:59am

You're all missing the point.

It's $1.

LOL

Actually, you get a better deal at Aldi's.

A bag of their meatballs is over twice the size for less than twice the price.

Pretty good meatballs too, but smaller.

They have "traditional" & "Italian" style.

The "traditional" style taste like meatloaf.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 3:34am
I get the best deal in my kitchen. 

1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb Ital sausage
coupla eggs
milk
bread crumbs
garlic
grated Romano
parsley
pepper
fennel seed

Mix together.  Form into meatballs.  Bake at 400 or so for an hour or so.

Then, place into pot with spaghetti sauce and cook some more so that the meatballs flavor the sauce and the sauce flavors the meatballs.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 3:52am
That's more like it, Thor.  LOL  BTW, just how many balls do you get in that $1 sack??  Tongue

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:00am

1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb Ital sausage
coupla eggs
milk
bread crumbs
garlic
grated Romano
parsley
pepper
fennel seed

Then, place into pot with spaghetti sauce and cook some more so that the meatballs flavor the sauce and the sauce flavors the meatballs.

Sounds like a lot of work.

And all those ingredients prolly add up to somewhere just south of ten bucks.

Ouch.

BUT...... they do sound mighty good. Tongue

Think you could mail me a batch?

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:03am

That's more like it, Thor.  LOL  BTW, just how many balls do you get in that $1 sack??  Tongue

I think there's about a dozen.

And as that blog you linked in your post said, they're more like lumps, rather than balls. TongueWink

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:29am

I think there's about a dozen.

And as that blog you linked in your post said, they're more like lumps, rather than balls. TongueWink

As long as they aren't SchweddyLOL

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:31am

1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb Ital sausage
coupla eggs
milk
bread crumbs
garlic
grated Romano
parsley
pepper
fennel seed

TongueEven though I'm currently *stuffed*, your recipe has me drooling...gotta try it out...thanks!
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:57am
Here's something for you guys...as well as me....

71 More Shopping Days 'til Christmas...I hope the Economy didn't bite you in the ass to prevent spending!

Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 1:59pm

One more than Lance Armstrong does.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 2:06pm

Sounds like a lot of work.

And all those ingredients prolly add up to somewhere just south of ten bucks.

Ouch.

BUT...... they do sound mighty good. Tongue

Think you could mail me a batch?

It's some work, but I have it down to a science.  Takes about 1/2 hour prep before going into the oven.

And I'd say it's about $7.  The beef and the sausage add up to maybe $6, 3 eggs maybe 30 cents, bread crumbs another 50 cents.  The rest is negligible.

Third-class mail OK with you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic