Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dumbest thing in your house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Whenever I open this thread, the first thing I see is the title, and Nathan saying "It's a tie, in my apartment".

My first thought is "Why is a tie in an apartment dumb?  I have a bunch of 'em hanging in my closet."

THOR!!!!! I THOUGHT THE SAME EXACT THING! LOLLOLLOL

It gets me every time, Mad!  And it gets me mad every time.  LOL

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 10:11pm
Maybe it's one of those goofy looking, really wide ties from the 70's.

Or maybe it was one those ties with the tacky looking flashing lights on it.

Or... maybe he's just really into the "Miami Vice" look.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:09pm
I have a blue and yellow satin Corona Beer necktie from the '50s.  It's even shaped like the bottle.  And I have some psychedelic ones from the '60s.  And skinny ones from the '70s.  And skinny ones from the '50s.  And one or two "whimsical" ones from the '90s. 

All told, I probably have 150 neckties.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:14pm
Lemme guess... I bet you have one with the piano keys on it too, am I right?

Any glow-in-the-darks?

How about holiday themed?

I'd like to have a nice Halloween tie.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Lemme guess... I bet you have one with the piano keys on it too, am I right?

Any glow-in-the-darks?

How about holiday themed?

I'd like to have a nice Halloween tie.

Too funny!  I was given the piano keys nectie as an office Christmas gift in 1982.  I gave it away around ten years ago to someone who really wanted it---my buddy's son who's into 70s punk rock (he now works at Trash and Vaudeville in Greenwich Village).  By that time, it was "retro".

And it depends on what you mean by glow-in-the-dark.  If you mean that really pale greenish-white color, then no.  I do, however, have a flower-power tie that's really intense under a black light.  Oddly, the green foliage in the flowers doesn't react to black light.  I don't know why.

No holiday ties.  Never liked holiday clothes.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:25pm
I wonder if Sylvia (mother of rap music) still has this lovely '70s outfit in her home.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 11:30pm

No holiday ties.  Never liked holiday clothes.

No tie collection is complete without tacky holiday ties.

And at least one with palm trees.

C'mon, man!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 12:25pm

Whenever I open this thread, the first thing I see is the title, and Nathan saying "It's a tie, in my apartment".

Yeah that was my first thought too.  Except I thought, well why doesn't he just throw it away, that's easy enough to do?  LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 3:41am
Unless it was a railroad tie.

Those things are really heavy.

C'mon, man!
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 6:16pm
There's a lot of switches in the house that we still haven't figured out what they go to. Also the fact that the laundry chute is outside the bathroom, and it doesn't lead to the laundry room. WTF, who came up with that? I have a side door instead of a back door, and no outdoor back light.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 7:04pm
A very beautiful, very heavy, very old white oak desk and chair, that we use for anything but for which a desk should be used. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Also the fact that the laundry chute is outside the bathroom, and it doesn't lead to the laundry room. WTF, who came up with that? 
LOL Kinda defeats the purpose. Having to then take the laundry to another room......
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 10:29pm

Also the fact that the laundry chute is outside the bathroom, and it doesn't lead to the laundry room. WTF, who came up with that?

When you first saw it did you say "Aw, chute!!!"

Or "Someone oughta chute whoever came up with that idea!!!"

No?

N'ermind.

C'mon, man!
roszikansz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roszikansz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 5:46am
Everything about my cell phone is great, except when the battery is low. It chimes every 30 seconds. So I put it on silent, and it vibrates every 30 seconds. Isn't constantly ringing and vibrating the worst way to handle limited battery life?
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 2:07pm

...... Also the fact that the laundry chute is outside the bathroom, and it doesn't lead to the laundry room......

Maybe the laundry chute is right and you were wrong by putting the laundry equipment in the wrong room.  LOL

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 11:34pm

Dumbest thing in your house

A blonde.  But she left.... Big%20smile
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

When they built this complex, they never roughed in for a living room ceiling fixture even though there is a double switch when you come in the front door. One is for the outside light
and I've never figured out just what the second one does.Confused
If you  plan on getting home after dark, its best to leave a light on inside.   
I finally figured out that mystery switch controls one half of each living room duplex receptacles. After replacing the 3 outlets that had only one working plug each with new ones,
I still only had power to the top receptacle on each outlet.Confused
Using the trusty multi-meter, no power was getting to the bottom. So, for chits & giggles I tried that mystery switch. Bingo!Approve
Stupidest thing I've ever seen. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 11:01pm
I have a few outlets that are controlled by the wall switch, but none that are halfway-controlled by any wall switch.  Never heard of that, Tiz.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 11:09pm
There was a commercial on TV awhile back.... I think it may have been a Geico ad, but I'm not sure. Anyway, this young gal is flipping a wall switch on & off while asking her husband who was in another room if it was doing anything. He was just kind of half ignoring her, etc., then the camera pans outside & about three houses up the street, a lady's garage door is going up & down slamming onto the hood of her car.

Wish I coulda found that video to post in this thread. Woulda fit right in.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 11:15pm

My Google skills are, apparently, superior to yours.  Big%20smile

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 11:42pm
Yeah, & apparently I remembered it backwards too.

What search terms did you use to find it?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 12:51am
Ahh...they're still up there in the search box.

"TV commercial neighbor's door opens" (at first, I included "garage" in the search, but I was mainly getting sites for companies that replace garage doors).

This led me to a website in which someone mentioned that it was a Nationwide ad. 

From there I went to Youtube.

I remembered the commercial, but, as usual, not the product.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 2:06pm
I used several similar terms when I searched for it (right after this thread started because I thought it was right up this thread's alley.... assuming a forum thread would have an "alley") but no luck. I even went directly to YouTube & tried words like light switch opens garage door commercial etc., but no luck.

I am pissed.

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 2:38pm
Jimbo, this leads me to believe that maybe your computer is the dumbest thing in your house! LOL
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 8:50pm
I tried garage door slamming car commercial to no avail. But I did find this; He could win the "Whats the dumbest thing you ever did" contest. Idiot...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic