Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back-to-school ads starting earlier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWCFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back-to-school ads starting earlier
    Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 10:40pm
Today, I saw the first of the back-to-school commercials for this year. I think they started a week earlier than last year. I don't mind them if they aren't player every single commercial break or they're aimed for incoming college freshmen. The back-to-school ads for kids shouldn't start for another 2-3 weeks. It shouldn't be earlier.
Closing logos! Now that's something I can watch on TV.
Sponsored Links

NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 12:01am
Thank God I don't have to deal with that crap any more.  Regardless, it still pisses me off.  It's so friggin annoying that the bastards feel the need to taint summer vacation by peddling academic merchandise about two months before school actually begins.
I have 168 characters remaining.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 3:13am
I still get bummed out by the back-to-school ads, and whenever I see 'em, I say "Gee willickers!  It's that time already??" 

TWCFan View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWCFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 3:42am
NiteRaidah, do you no longer watch TV?
Closing logos! Now that's something I can watch on TV.
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 8:39am
I'm surprised they haven't started the Christmas ads yet.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
ShinyGreenApple View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShinyGreenApple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 6:24am
I also get bummed out for the kids when this crap starts. Companies act like the kiddos are going to be OMG Soooooooo excited to buy all this great stuff and go back.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 10:25am
Originally posted by TWCFan TWCFan wrote:

NiteRaidah, do you no longer watch TV?
I no longer watch any programming on either Broadcast or Cable!LOL

(And from what I've read about on this Site and others of what's happened to TV these past few years I'm glad I jumped ship when I did!)Dead
Poiuyt Power!!!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 7:51pm
KMart has their summer stuff out on clearance sale and stocked the shelves with back to school items already. I didn't see any gloomy kids  when I was there.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

KMart has their summer stuff out on clearance sale and stocked the shelves with back to school items already. I didn't see any gloomy kids  when I was there.

LOL it looks like he's gonna attack me with staplers. LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

I'm surprised they haven't started the Christmas ads yet.

Sorry for going slightly OT, but expect Christmas decorations to pop up in stores very, very soon.  That's just the nature of retail business.  It is ridiculous.  I noticed, while working in retail, that summer clothes would start coming in the last week of January, and they would be put out in the store in the first few weeks of February.  Mind you, I live in an area that had two blizzards last February back-to-back, and flip flops were all over the stores at the time.  The summer clothes would go to clearance by late May, at the same time fall clothes would start to come in.  Meanwhile, you go to the retail store in July like any normal person to find a bathing suit for your vacation, and you see coats everywhere, and 2 bathing suits (of course in the wrong size) on the clearance rack. Angry
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 4:24pm
My store starts cutting back on summer stuff and starts getting in back packs, lunch bags, school supplies, etc in the first week of JULY.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 4:27pm
I like when the stores start displaying their summer stuff in February.  I don't like when they start displaying their fall/winter stuff in July.  Summer makes me Smile.  Fall makes me Unhappy.

clamshell View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clamshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 6:14pm
It's Back To School Creep!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 9:28pm
I remember going to Lowes last year before the official end of summer for a simple floor fan. Looked and looked before asking a sale person.
"Oh, they're up front. In a couple weeks we'll be stocking heaters." Sure enough, on a few wooden pallets were what was left of the fans & window A/Cs.
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 3:42am
A lot of stores I've been in recently must have started putting their BTS stuff out before July 4th.

When I was in TRU a few weeks ago it was one of the hottest days of the year and supposed to get hotter.  A dad was looking for a Slip N Slide...was told by the employee: "sorry, we're rotating stock for back to school and I don't think we have any left" (the summer toys were starting to go on markdown at the front of the store).  The little boy with him looked so incredibly crushed...not only at the prospect of no water toys, but also at "school" being uttered in July.

I've also seen ads for "educational support services" feeding some bull about how kids forget everything during vacation.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:31pm
Yep DS, TRU rotates out summer stuff in July for back to school. There's usually a few leftover baby pools and water guns, but you really have to dig for them. They all went on clearance, and since clearance is 25% off now, they went fast.
TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 4:07am
They play every commercial break.... UGH! Want to know what, f*ck back to school!
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 10:20pm
I used to hate these ads when I actually had to go to school.  Now that those days are over (I plan to go back of my own accord soon, different story) it amazes me how sick these commercials still cause me to feel.  Behind the smiles and cheery music, they are doom and gloom, man!
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 12:10am
Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

I used to hate these ads when I actually had to go to school.  Now that those days are over (I plan to go back of my own accord soon, different story) it amazes me how sick these commercials still cause me to feel.  Behind the smiles and cheery music, they are doom and gloom, man!

I'd like to know how much the kids get for pretending to love shopping for BTS supplies in the ads.  Seriously...I've seen countless kids jump for joy at the thought of buying a new backpack or erasers in these ads.  Unhappy
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 2:48am
Originally posted by dp7 dp7 wrote:

Originally posted by EMCEE EMCEE wrote:

I'd like to know how much the kids get for pretending to love shopping for BTS supplies in the ads.  Seriously...I've seen countless kids jump for joy at the thought of buying a new backpack or erasers in these ads.  Unhappy
No kidding, right?  Poor misguided kids.  "Hooray for going back to learn about stuff for which I will mostly never have a use!"
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

JasonTKD View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonTKD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 2:46am
Originally posted by NiteRaidah NiteRaidah wrote:

It's so friggin annoying that the bastards feel the need to taint summer vacation by peddling academic merchandise about two months before school actually begins.

I don't know what pissed me off more when I was a kid: back-to-school ads, or the fact that some assholes decided to cut our summer vacation half a month short instead of starrting school in Sept  (I'm sure the teachers weren't too thrilled, either , but at least most of them didn't have to stand out in the summer heat, in the hot, humid weather while waiting for the bell  )
Nikki View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:05pm
Anyone seen the new Mini Wheats commercial?

"HAPPY SCHOOL YEAR!"

It makes me CRINGE.
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Nikki Nikki wrote:

Anyone seen the new Mini Wheats commercial?

"HAPPY SCHOOL YEAR!"

It makes me CRINGE.

Next they'll have an ad that has a fake game show on it, and the winner kid is told "Congratulations, you just won year-round schooling.  No more summer vacation for you!" and then the kid jumps up and down as if he won a million dollars.  His classmates gather around and praise him for making summer vacation a thing of the past.  The runner-up on the game show gets a consolation prize of summer school and a life-long mandatory membership to Sylvan Learning Center, and the kid yells "OMG that's EXACTLY what I want!  Yessss!"

Of course, in reality, both kids would've probably fainted on stage. LOL
Titus77 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 7:14pm
School began last week for my co-worker's daughter. I miss the days when EVERYONE began school the Tuesday after the Labor Day holiday, but with year-round schools, charter schools, etc, those days are long gone.
Where's The Beef?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic