Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Items That Have Been Discontinued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 3:16am
Originally posted by 8 Track Single 8 Track Single wrote:

Post removed at user's request.

Oh

My

Gawd.

They were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

feckkin GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to get BOGO coupons for their sandwiches quite often, so natch I'd only go there when I had them.

What a great lunch!!!! Two roast beef subs & I believe they had curly fries, but I might be mistaken it's been so long.

Man, I loved that place.

Nice & fern-y inside, too.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 3:17am
Anyone mention Roy Rogers hamburger?

Awesome, dudes.

And dudettes.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 3:23am
Polar Cup.

There was this company, it may have just been local, but they served these fruit flavored slushes out of trucks that went from place to place as well as from a central store location that is now a Papa John's Pizza.

They started out with just lemon flavor that tasted like it was made from Country Time lemonade, but then they started getting new flavors.

There was just something about the way they made them that set them apart from other "slushy" type drinks.

Thet were sooooooo good on a hot summer day.

Serious brain-freeze headache danger, though.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 3:34am
I had a summer job at Rix (not Rax) Roast Beef 38 years ago.  We used real roast beef. The employees at Arby's used to eat lunch at our place.  It was a subsidiary of Burger Chef. 
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 6:44pm
There's a place like that here in town called Beefy King.

They use real roast beef that they cook & slice themselves, then sear it on a grill & put it on a sesame seed roll.

They serve crispy fried tater tots ("Spuds") instead of french fries.

It's been owned by the same two brothers for going on like, thirty years or more but I think one of the brothers sold out to the other one awhile back.

It's a local landmark & institution.

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 12:09am

I remember these. We had What A Burger restaurants here, too. Delicious. Also, I think it was Shoney's that had outside curb service when we were kids.
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 4:54pm
In Nebraska there was a restaurant chain called King's Food Host in which there was a phone at every table and you called in your order.  Also, there were A&W Drive-Ins with car-hop service all over the place.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 5:22pm
For all intents and purposes, Dunkin' Donuts was discontinued when I moved to California.  None of the donut shops in California have anywhere near the selection that Dunkin' Donuts has.  Here, you can get glazed, sugar, plain, old-fashioned, and raspberry-filled---and that's about it.

So, imagine my excitement when I did a "search for Dunkin' Donuts in my area" the other day, and came up with one about a mile or two from my house.  Finally they've arrived!!!

Then imagine my disappointment when I drove to that location, and there was no Dunkin' Donuts there.  Angry

I was really looking forward to an apple-filled donut and a chocolate custard one.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 6:02pm
I remember a bar or restaurant that had phones on the tables.  You could call another table to talk to someone of interest. 
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 6:21pm
I used to think that Mr. Pibb had been discontinued, but my dad got me a big case for my birthday.

Mr Pibb > Dr. Pepper
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 6:34pm
Anyone remember Death Cigarettes?

meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I remember a bar or restaurant that had phones on the tables.  You could call another table to talk to someone of interest. 

Max and Erma's!
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 6:50pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdERG8kcXk

Does this bring back any memories???LOL
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

For all intents and purposes, Dunkin' Donuts was discontinued when I moved to California.  None of the donut shops in California have anywhere near the selection that Dunkin' Donuts has.  Here, you can get glazed, sugar, plain, old-fashioned, and raspberry-filled---and that's about it.

So, imagine my excitement when I did a "search for Dunkin' Donuts in my area" the other day, and came up with one about a mile or two from my house.  Finally they've arrived!!!

Then imagine my disappointment when I drove to that location, and there was no Dunkin' Donuts there.  Angry

I was really looking forward to an apple-filled donut and a chocolate custard one.

Say the word baby and I'll ship you some, New England is the D.D. capital of the world!!!!Big%20smile
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 7:31pm
Drive-in movies.

Bazooka bubblegum
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNdERG8kcXk

Does this bring back any memories???LOL
...how about nightmares?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Bazooka bubblegum

"A worm with a sweater on".  Sleepy

Jeez...the things we thought were funny when we were 10.

Hey!!  How come that gum isn't scored for easier halving?  Is Bazooka Joe trying to encourage diabetes and tooth decay or something???  Angry

msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 9:14pm
There is a Max and Ermas in downtown Norfolk.  I haven't been but my friend says that they are great.  Our Smokey Bones was supposed to close but I don't think it has yet.  I hope it doesn't.  Nothing fixes a hangover better than a big ole pile of meatPig.  We have a couple of places that serve the smoked meats primarily but most of them are kinda pricey or their menu sucks.  Smokey Bones is reasonably priced and they have a nice variety on the menu.  Please don't close my Smokey Bones.  Mmmm, damn, now I'm hungry.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

Say the word baby and I'll ship you some, New England is the D.D. capital of the world!!!!Big%20smile

OK...in that case, I'll have 2 apple-filled, 1 lemon-filled, 2 chocolate custard-filled, 1 blueberry-filled, 3 vanilla custard-filled...

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 12:43am

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Bazooka bubblegum

"A worm with a sweater on".  Sleepy

Jeez...the things we thought were funny when we were 10.

Hey!!  How come that gum isn't scored for easier halving?  Is Bazooka Joe trying to encourage diabetes and tooth decay or something???  Angry

Easily entertained, us kids. The same reason we'd dive into a tooth decaying box of Cracker Jacks......for the free prize inside.Tongue
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 12:56am
I never liked Cracker Jacks.  But you're right.  I'd buy 'em and eat 'em just for the prize.  I liked those tiny little movie flip cards and the mini-pinball things the best.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 6:42am

I never liked Cracker Jacks.  But you're right.  I'd buy 'em and eat 'em just for the prize.  I liked those tiny little movie flip cards and the mini-pinball things the best.

I loved the caramel corn part but hated the salty peanuts.  I used to take em out.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 5:10pm

That's funny, I always loved the peanuts and always wished there were more!

kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 5:54pm
Cracker Jacks are good. And like Big Momma, I always loved the peanuts. But Now I prefer the popcorn.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2008 at 6:07pm

OK...in that case, I'll have 2 apple-filled, 1 lemon-filled, 2 chocolate custard-filled, 1 blueberry-filled, 3 vanilla custard-filled... 

"Three more"

(insert here: impatient DD clerk gazing at you with blank stare while a cluster of 8-9 people wanting coffee/bagels 'lines' up behind you)
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic