Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Carrell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Carrell
    Posted: 30 May 2008 at 1:59am
I didn't know where to post this, but does anybody find this guy funny? I don't get his humor in "The Office" and now it seems that he is in every other movie anymore. Similar to how John Goodman was in the early 1990's, but at least Goodman was funny.
Sponsored Links

8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 2:03am
I've seen The Office; and it's a very unfunny workplace comedy, unlike NewsRadio.  
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 2:15am
I think he's cute and funny! [sorry]
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 3:19am
Steve Carell is an amazing comic actor who plays the part of a clueless jackass to a tee.

In a way, he's like Don Knotts on the Andy Griffith show.

He played his part so convincingly & so well, he made a lot of people actually dislike him personally.

The humor on The Office is kind of subtle & one has to appreciate that kind of thing in order to find it funny.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 3:34am
Must be a matter of personal taste.  I'm with you skibibbles, I don't get him either.
I am twice annoyed that Scrubs was basically panned and The Office was constantly ranted (the good kind) and raved about.

Maybe I would find the office funnier if I worked in an office.
britastar View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britastar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 6:43am

Totally with Jimbo on this one.  Big, BIG fan of Steve Carell.  He doesn't go for obvious, his character on The Office is played with such simple, understated idiocy, it's believable. 

ilikestupidadssoshutup-MrsHill   

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 1:05pm
I'm with Jimbo and brit on this...although I didn't like Evan Almighty...
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 3:31pm
I think he's funny.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 3:38pm
Apparently there are two kinds of people.
And me? I love lamp.

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 6:26pm
Steve Carell falls under the category of "People Who Play The Same Character In Everything They Do", just like Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler and (the worst) Ben Stiller. Needless to say, I don't care for any of them.

I remember watching Steve on The Daily Show, back when it used to be watchable. I didn't think he was funny then (he's part of the reason why I stopped watching it) and the I feel the same now.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 6:33pm
Nowadays pretty much everyone does that.

There are very few actors or actresses who play a wide variety of character types.

People are type cast by their appearance & the demeanor they put forth & that's the kind of roles they tend to get.

John Travolta is one actor that comes to mind who plays different types of characters & does them all well.

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Nowadays pretty much everyone does that.

There are very few actors or actresses who play a wide variety of character types.

People are type cast by their appearance & the demeanor they put forth & that's the kind of roles they tend to get.

John Travolta is one actor that comes to mind who plays different types of characters & does them all well.

David Strathairn as well, he's a hugely versatile actor, he doesn't get NEAR the acclaim he deserves. I believe it was a travesty that he didn't get the Oscar for Goodnight And Good luck!
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Steve Carell falls under the category of "People Who Play The Same Character In Everything They Do", just like Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler and (the worst) Ben Stiller. Needless to say, I don't care for any of them.

Maybe that's what does it for me.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 2:51am

......John Travolta is one actor that comes to mind who plays different types of characters & does them all well.

Vinny Barabarino and Danny from Grease..... Worlds apart!   LOL

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 2:56am
Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

......John Travolta is one actor that comes to mind who plays different types of characters & does them all well.

Vinny Barabarino and Danny from Grease..... Worlds apart!   LOL

And then there's the world of Edna Turnblatt.  Typecast that!
NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 1:57am
He's pretty good.  That's what she said (Office reference).
I have 168 characters remaining.
nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 3:51am
He is an actor who is like "I want to be funny but not trying too hard funny.." I really think that if this were the case he should at least try to be funny because he really isn't a hint of funny at all..
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 8:14pm
Has anyone ever watched the original BBC version of The Office?

Steve Carrell does a brilliant job at playing the unfunny leader (who thinks he's hilarious).

I don't mind him, he's funny without trying too hard.

I wish some of the comics in entertainment would learn that trait from him. Guys like Adam Sandler, or Mike Myers, or Jim Carrey.

They just try too bloody hard, but rarely cause a grin.
One man gathers what another man spills
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 8:30pm
Adam Sandler, don't forget did a brief stint out side of his comfort space as that character in "Watch Over Me" but then went back the funny, same old useless tiring stuff he's always done, sad he could had a chance to branch out more in roles but then he took that chance away. 
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 10:17pm
I can see how people might not like Carrell.  I guess you have to be in the mood for stupid.  I still can only see him as the guy from Bruce Allmighty.  It is very childish but I almost leaked a little when he made him speak giberish on the news.  Cracks me up just thinking about it.  But I can see how it might get tiresome.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 11:11pm
I "get" Steve Carell.  I love The Office, it was my life for many years.  I even had a boss who was that guy, for a while.  I've learned that people who have never worked in that type of environment, have trouble enjoying the show.

For other humor mysteries, however - somebody please explain The Three Stooges.

Never been funny, ever, to me.  Ever.  If there was an opposite of funny, that would be The Three Stooges, in my opinion.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 12:23am
One word:    "Nyuck"
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 1:20am
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

I "get" Steve Carell.  I love The Office, it was my life for many years.  I even had a boss who was that guy, for a while.  I've learned that people who have never worked in that type of environment, have trouble enjoying the show.

For other humor mysteries, however - somebody please explain The Three Stooges.

Never been funny, ever, to me.  Ever.  If there was an opposite of funny, that would be The Three Stooges, in my opinion.

It's the times. The 3 Stooges were the funniest thing around when they made their flicks. Probably no different than the people in the 1930's not getting our humor today.

I cannot figure out how Lucy is still so popular 50 years later. I can see it at the time, but not now.
JimKirkpatrik66 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimKirkpatrik66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 2:41am
steve's the best

Best that whats she said moment:

Guy misses when he throws something in a trashcan
"how could u miss a hole that big"
"thats what she said
"Get your popcorn ready"
                          - Terrell Owen

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 2:53am
Originally posted by nancy nancy wrote:

He is an actor who is like "I want to be funny but not trying too hard funny.." I really think that if this were the case he should at least try to be funny because he really isn't a hint of funny at all..

It's the fact that his character on The Office is so unfunny that is so funny.

The humor is in the fact that he's such a giant putz but he thinks he's Mr. Cool.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic