Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Family Guy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 5:10am
Oooops..... make that FIVE.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 5:11am
I could keep on doing this forever.

Theoretically....

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 5:21am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

I wonder why that bothers me less than Orson Scott Card taking over a character and lecturing about why gays shouldn't get married and how only heterosexual marriage is good for society. Man that bugs me for some reason.

Because you agree with one and not the other, maybe?

Well, pretty much. I'd like him to stay out of people's private business and let folks create families the way they want and he's one to talk as he's descended from lots of polygamous relatives and polygamy is way more unhealthy than gay marriage or single parenting in a way.
Man, he burns my bacon.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

As one of those despicable conservatives myself, Asnotseenontv, I've grown used to that and, in fact, have come to expect it.  I just ignore that stuff.  It taints the show slightly for me, but not to the point that I won't watch it.  That, I reserve for Keith Olbermann.  Wink

Pooooooooooooor widdle conswervatives!!!!! Cry Cry Cry Cry

Always swaggering around with their flabby old white guy chests puffed out.... worshipping the ground that's walked on by the likes of Ann Coulter & Rush Limbaugh who've made careers out of spewing the vilest hate-filled puke imaginable, but get offended when some TV show has the temerity to smack them back a little....

Oh woe!!!!! CryCry

How do you poor widdle things even live?????????????? LOL LOL LOL LOL

OK, usually I ignore you Jimbo, due to my neutral-political stance, but here you deserve a bit of a correction:
What would you say if conservatives made fun of you? Don't even try to deny they'd get your goat. It's a natural human reaction for people who get targeted in jokes to not usually laugh along. And I know a few conservatives who hate both Rush and Ann so don't even try using the same strawman tactics everywhere you go. Doesn't work on everyone.

And naturally if you don't agree with a message, you WILL be offended in some fashion.
Coffee- The new opiate of the people.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 2:40pm

Someone uses crosshairs to "target" Democratic districts, and the left is outraged, and it's national news, and it becomes all about how violent the right is.  A Democratic congressman says Dems should physically assault a conservative media figure, and the only mention of it on the news comes from the figure himself (who laughs about it).

Therein lies the difference.  Which side is more likely to take to the streets, vandalize property, throw rocks at police, disrupt traffic---in response to positions they don't like?  It certainly isn't the tea parties.  Mock them all you want, but they're not marked by violence.

Family Guy has an episode which depicts Jesus as a pedophile, and it's ignored.  I can only imagine the depiction of Obama as a pedophile, going ignored.  It wouldn't happen.  It'd be major news.  In fact, I can't even imagine any TV show actually doing that in the first place.  That sort of depiction is much more expected from the left.  That's why the right just lets it slide off its back with barely more than a roll of the eyes.  Maybe it's time they changed that.

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 5:20pm
There are supposed to be new episodes of Futurama on Comedy Central soon, but for now their reruns air before the new South Parks.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 12:20am

Someone (SARAH PALIN) uses crosshairs to "target" Democratic districts, and the left is outraged, and it's national news, and it becomes all about how violent the right is.  A Democratic congressman says Dems should physically assault a conservative media figure, and the only mention of it on the news comes from the figure himself (who laughs about it).

Given the right's propensity for guns & their implied threats of using them, I'd say Palin's idiotic & irresponsible use of gunsight crosshairs to TARGET congressional reps DOES constitute an example of the right's proclivity for violence.

Or if nothing else, the irresponsible attitude of it's so-called "leaders".

Therein lies the difference.  Which side is more likely to take to the streets, vandalize property, throw rocks at police, disrupt traffic---in response to positions they don't like? 

The left throws bottles & spray paints slogans. The right plants truck bombs in front of & flies airplanes into federal office buildings.

It certainly isn't the tea parties.  Mock them all you want, but they're not marked by violence.

The accusation was about IMPLIED THREATS of violence, like the Tea Party rally warning sign that read "we didn't bring our guns, THIS TIME....", or screaming "KILL HIM!!!" about Obama at McCain rallies. The danger lies in that the heated rhetoric might incite another right wing wacko like your boy-toy hero Tim McVeigh. Someone like Joe Stack.... obviously incited by the Tea Party type of anti-governent language they use.

Are you saying another Tim McVeigh or Joe Stack is nothing to worry about????

Family Guy has an episode which depicts Jesus as a pedophile, and it's ignored.  I can only imagine the depiction of Obama as a pedophile, going ignored. It wouldn't happen.  It'd be major news.

Obama is a real, living person & the elected leader of our nation. Jesus is a religious ICON. One that many liberals also worship as well, let's not forget. So don't try to imply that the right "owns" Jesus, bub.

Also, if by chance he's not a mere fairy tale to begin with, he's been dead for over two thousand years.

There's the difference. Get it?

Or are you comparing Obama to Jesus? I'm sure he'd be flattered!!! LOL

Your analogies & the parallels you attempt to draw often have a tendency to be rather thin.

In fact, I can't even imagine any TV show actually doing that in the first place. That sort of depiction is much more expected from the left.   

How about SNL? They went after Clinton numerous times & they've made fun of Obama as well. Besides, you all have right wing talk radio blaring 24/7 & Fox News clowns like Sean Hannity & Ann Coldwhore running around doing all that to a MUCH larger degree than any TV shows poking fun at Jesus.

BTW.... has a TV show ever portrayed Bush or Reagan as a pedophile? No. So what was the point of mentioning Obama?

That's why the right just lets it slide off its back with barely more than a roll of the eyes. 

Which begs the question: "What color is the sky in your world, Thor?" 

Maybe it's time they changed that.

You mean try to be LESS obnoxious than they already are? Never happen. Being a-holes is in their genes.

LOL I see you're as full of it as ever.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Asnotseenontv Asnotseenontv wrote:

As one of those despicable conservatives myself, Asnotseenontv, I've grown used to that and, in fact, have come to expect it.  I just ignore that stuff.  It taints the show slightly for me, but not to the point that I won't watch it.  That, I reserve for Keith Olbermann.  Wink

Pooooooooooooor widdle conswervatives!!!!! Cry Cry Cry Cry

Always swaggering around with their flabby old white guy chests puffed out.... worshipping the ground that's walked on by the likes of Ann Coulter & Rush Limbaugh who've made careers out of spewing the vilest hate-filled puke imaginable, but get offended when some TV show has the temerity to smack them back a little....

Oh woe!!!!! CryCry

How do you poor widdle things even live?????????????? LOL LOL LOL LOL

OK, usually I ignore you Jimbo, due to my neutral-political stance, but here you deserve a bit of a correction:
What would you say if conservatives made fun of you? Don't even try to deny they'd get your goat. It's a natural human reaction for people who get targeted in jokes to not usually laugh along. And I know a few conservatives who hate both Rush and Ann so don't even try using the same strawman tactics everywhere you go. Doesn't work on everyone.

And naturally if you don't agree with a message, you WILL be offended in some fashion.

That's all conservatives DO is make fun of people they disagree with.

Your problem is that you missed the point by a mile.

The crux of what I was talking about was just that.... that conservatives cry & whine when they get a taste of their own medicine, as Thor was doing in the post I replied to.

All that other stuff you said was neither here nor there.

And BTW.... I usually ignore you too, but since you addressed me directly, I figured I'd do you the honor of a response.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 2:13am
"Given the right's propensity for guns & their implied threats of using them..."
"The accusation was about IMPLIED THREATS of violence."

Implied??  As opposed to the leftist protestors actually committing acts of violence?  So far, the only violence at the tea parties and townhalls has been at the hands of Obama supporters against the right.  Talk to me when the tea-partiers actually get violent. 

"Are you saying another Tim McVeigh or Joe Stack is nothing to worry about????"

Tim McVeigh's nothing to worry about.  I assure you.  And Joe Stack??  He's one of yours!  Y'know, not everyone who has a gripe with the IRS is a conservative.  Half of Obama's appointees have problems with payment of taxes.

"Or are you comparing Obama to Jesus? I'm sure he'd be flattered!!! LOL"
I don't have to compare them.  Obama's already done that.  

"I am confident that we can create a kingdom right here on earth," 

"... a light will shine through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will experience an epiphany, and you will suddenly realize that you must go to the polls and vote for Barack."

"I am absolutely certain, that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs for the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal. This was the moment - this was the time - when we came together to remake this great nation ..." 

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

Jimbo, don't you remember all that stuff from the best year of Obama's Presidency---2008?  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 2:41am

Implied??  As opposed to the leftist protestors actually committing acts of violence?  So far, the only violence at the tea parties and townhalls has been at the hands of Obama supporters against the right.   

Thor!!!!!..... you're missing the point..... the concern is that their flaming rhetoric MIGHT INCITE SOME HOT HEADED ANTI-GUB'MINT KOOK TO DO ANOTHER OK CITY OR AUSTIN, TX.

I won't even bother to address the rest of that nonsense about violence being committed against these fruitcakes.

Talk to me when the tea-partiers actually get violent.

One already has....

And so have some of their predecessors...

Tim McVeigh's nothing to worry about.  I assure you.  And Joe Stack??  He's one of yours!  Y'know, not everyone who has a gripe with the IRS is a conservative.  Half of Obama's appointees have problems with payment of taxes.

And f**k that noise about Joe Stack being a liberal. He was an anti-government tea-bagger ALL THE WAY!!! I know it embarrasses you guys so you'll doggedly deny it with your last breath... but we all know the truth.

Joe Stack's actions were inspired by the tea-bagger mentality & right wing anti-government rhetoric. PERIOD!!!!

I don't have to compare them.  Obama's already done that.  

"I am confident that we can create a kingdom right here on earth," 

"... a light will shine through that window, a beam of light will come down upon you, you will experience an epiphany, and you will suddenly realize that you must go to the polls and vote for Barack."

"I am absolutely certain, that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs for the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal. This was the moment - this was the time - when we came together to remake this great nation ..." 

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

Jimbo, don't you remember all that stuff from the best year of Obama's Presidency---2008?  LOL

When all else fails, just resort to silliness, eh?

From now on, anyone who uses words that were also used in the Bible are comparing themselves to Jesus.

Gotcha. Thumbs%20Up

Ho-hum.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 3:18am

Ho-hum.

Mmm, mmm, mmm...

Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 4:04pm
This illustrates my problem with the "later" Family Guy as well as anything else. In an early episode, all the men go to prison on false charges. When they're led into the place, all the other prisoners of course make a lot of lecherous sounds at them. Peter says "They're all being so friendly. I hate to think how disappointed they'll be when they find out we're not gay."
All right, not a hysterically funny joke about that subject, but one with some imagination to it.
 In a LATER episode of the show, there's a parody of Dirty Dancing, where the character gets convicted of statutory rape (because of the age of the girl in the movie). Then it shows him in prison, getting into his bunk, with his cellmate getting in and squeezing in behind him. My problem with that isn't the Patrick Swayze joke (I'm not even sure when it was made, if you know what I mean), or the gay joke, or even the prison rape part. My problem is that you're HIT OVER THE HEAD with the joke, unlike that first one I described.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 4:08pm
The secret might be to watch them in reruns and on various channels, as I do.  That way, you're not aware of any progressive change in the sort of humor being employed.  It's all random...and I remain happy.    

Reruns on TVLand of Roseanne, on the other hand, are in chronological order, so you're aware of the progression from funny to not.  Plus, the characters age, so you can't help but notice Roseanne as she morphs into a nasty, screaming b*tch.  Oh yeah, Darlene, too.  She went from funny to foul. 

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 7:52pm

Reruns on TVLand of Roseanne, on the other hand, are in chronological order, so you're aware of the progression from funny to not.  Plus, the characters age, so you can't help but notice Roseanne as she morphs into a nasty, screaming b*tch.  Oh yeah, Darlene, too.  She went from funny to foul.

Maybe their metamorphosis was directly correlated to their rising celebrity status...

IOW, as their wealth & fame increased, their level of obnoxiousness increased at the same rate.

Just a hypothesis.....

C'mon, man!
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:43am
Originally posted by TheDude22 TheDude22 wrote:

Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Again I say Futurama > Family Guy.

Are you serious? Futurama has been going downhill since Comedy Central got their hands on the show.

The only thing Comedy Central is responsible for is the 4 movies, which were good. I did prefer it on Adult Swim better, but going down hill? Certainly not.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 7:05am

Maybe their metamorphosis was directly correlated to their rising celebrity status...

IOW, as their wealth & fame increased, their level of obnoxiousness increased at the same rate.

Just a hypothesis.....

Yeah.  I think it might have had to do with Roseanne's increased fame, and her increased control over the direction of the show.  The last few years of the series make me cringe at how Roseanne treats Dan, and how Darlene treats her boyfriend---that is, like sh*t.

The final year, when they won the lottery, it just got asinine.  I always wondered if that was just Roseanne's way of purposely jumping the shark.

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 7:50am

Just a hypothesis.....

Yeah.  I think it might have had to do with Roseanne's increased fame, and her increased control over the direction of the show.  The last few years of the series make me cringe at how Roseanne treats Dan, and how Darlene treats her boyfriend---that is, like sh*t.

The final year, when they won the lottery, it just got asinine.  I always wondered if that was just Roseanne's way of purposely jumping the shark.

I do agree that made the show go downhill.

I bet if I had a boyfriend I would not treat him like steaming dog crap.
Especially if he bought me an antique pocket watch,or he wouldn't even have to do that.
I just really like antique pocket watches.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 4:11pm
Along with "hubris," which everyone here is talking about with Roseanna, one of the biggest complaints when a comedy show gets incredibly successful is just plain laziness about the comedy. And even though it's a big cliche that that happens, I think that's what DID happen with Seth MacFarlane and Family Guy. (Of course, I haven't seen a new one in a long while, so for all I know it's changed back and forth a few times.)
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

I just really like antique pocket watches.

ME TOO!!!!!! Approve Thumbs%20Up

Actually, I just love pocket watches period.

I have about four or five of them.

One is an old antique "Knickerbocker" railroad watch owned by my grandfather who worked for the railroad for awhile.

It's similar to this one:

When I was a kid, I badgered my mom into getting me a cheap one from the Sears catalogue.

I eventually got it.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 3:20am

I never watched Roseanne.

Even when it was in reuns on local daytime TV.

I never "do" family sitcoms.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 4:06am
What??  No Married With Children??!  Shocked

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 4:19am
That was an exception.

Forgot about that one.

But honestly.... that show was the "anti-family-oriented-sitcom" family oriented sitcom.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 5:48am
It was certainly not The Cosbys or the Donna Reed Show.

mttyflynn View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mttyflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 5:59am
quote/"Tea parties" are for little girls & their imaginary friends. /quote

Tea Party is for normal people with normal friends not for sodomite obssessed weirdos who molest little boys.
We've stopped Chris Berman's douche-y whoop, we've stopped the Velvetta "LIQUID GOOOOOOOOLD" a$$hole, now we have to stop the Beady-eyed nasal voiced Paxson chic!
mttyflynn View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mttyflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 6:15am

I am not a fan of Democrats or Republicans; Seth McFarland does not exclusively attack Republican/Right wingers or Tea Party people. He attacks anyone who is on a pedestal. busting anybodies ball's no matter who it is.

We've stopped Chris Berman's douche-y whoop, we've stopped the Velvetta "LIQUID GOOOOOOOOLD" a$$hole, now we have to stop the Beady-eyed nasal voiced Paxson chic!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic