Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iphone - My kid is amazing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillar68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iphone - My kid is amazing
    Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 7:53pm
Can someone tell this woman it's not amazing, and is actually perfectly normal for her kid to start walking.  No offense to anyone with a disabled child, but there's no indication that the child in the commercial is disabled in any way. 

It's not amazing - it's normal!  Don't overreact and demand a conference call every time your kid eats Play-Doh or craps his pants!  It happens all the time every day!  
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 8:12pm
Big%20smileNice entry - Welcome Aboard, Sillar68!

Interesting commercial - never seen it.

The only thing I have to say is THAT commercial brought back an 'unwanted memory' - so I don't like it.
I used to travel extensively - especially when our pups were young.
I will NEVER forgive the wife for ONE phone call (I was in California, She was in Florida, with the kids). Our oldest son was that age; she called, a tad 'sharp'.
"Hey, Pa! Listen to THIS!!!"
<silence>
"uhhhhhh...yea, o.k., what was that?"
<brief silence>
"That was the sound of Your son taking his first footsteps!"

Almost 30 years later, it still really bothers me to remember that call - but YOU captured the SOLUTION (for others) in a bad commercial - so, Thank You (I mean it). 

Again - Welcome Aboard.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 8:34pm
It's nice that the kid started walking, but it's not amazing.  I think some parents see their kids' accomplishments as their own.  It's that whole "cult of the child" thing, where everything that little Madison or Conner does, is seen as miraculous and wonderful.

Sillar68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillar68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

It's nice that the kid started walking, but it's not amazing.  I think some parents see their kids' accomplishments as their own.  It's that whole "cult of the child" thing, where everything that little Madison or Conner does, is seen as miraculous and wonderful.

That's the description I was looking for.  I'm reminded of a chart Demetri Martin showed once in his standup routine that puts it all in perspective:

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 9:05pm

ConfusedThor - really?! THAT coming from someone who HAS NO (known) children?!
Gimme a break, dammit - that was a TOTAL FOS statement.
And the NEWBIE followed you.
Well, guess I see what we get... 
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 10:10pm
What?  Because I have no kids, I have no powers of observation, Pa??

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 10:14pm

What?  Because I have no kids, I have no powers of observation, Pa??

Ain't that, ol'Friend.
You may simply not understand 'the true magic' - and it IS  just that (for a real parent).
MrButler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Formerly Angry Lil Fat Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrButler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 10:27pm
Unless your baby is crippled walking is going to be a natural progression. There are those that think everything is a gift from above though.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by Sillar68 Sillar68 wrote:

That's the description I was looking for.  I'm reminded of a chart Demetri Martin showed once in his standup routine that puts it all in perspective:

LOL good point!

I hate the oh look at my baby she's/he's walking shtick. Who as a stranger cares about this? I don't. It's inevitable that a baby is going to walk, unless she/he has a problem with their legs.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
MrButler View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Formerly Angry Lil Fat Man

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrButler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

LOL good point!

I hate the oh look at my baby she's/he's walking shtick. Who as a stranger cares about this? I don't. It's inevitable that a baby is going to walk, unless she/he has a problem with their legs.
thank you for reiterating what I just said LOL
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 12:42pm
Hmm, that's not what I took from the commercial. I thought the idiot was amazed by her phone. But then again she may be amazed by her kid walking. Now I might have to actually pay attention to the ad to see what she says.

Or I could just drink some more scotch.
flychinook View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flychinook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 2:33pm
Yeah, she sounded more amazed by the phone. Which is strange, given that she didn't really do anything that most modern cellphones couldn't do. She took a video, sent an MMS (which the iphone couldn't even do 'till like last summer) and started a conference call. Amazing? Maybe 4 years ago when people were doing it with a samsung they got for free.
Sillar68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillar68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by flychinook flychinook wrote:

Yeah, she sounded more amazed by the phone. Which is strange, given that she didn't really do anything that most modern cellphones couldn't do. She took a video, sent an MMS (which the iphone couldn't even do 'till like last summer) and started a conference call. Amazing? Maybe 4 years ago when people were doing it with a samsung they got for free.

Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

Hmm, that's not what I took from the commercial. I thought the idiot was amazed by her phone. But then again she may be amazed by her kid walking. Now I might have to actually pay attention to the ad to see what she says.

Or I could just drink some more scotch.

It's pretty clear in the first 2 sentences of the commercial.  "My son started walking the other day.  Which...was am-A-zing." 

That's the motivation for her sending out the APB, calling the local newspapers and the use of the phones features.

Listen to it again.  From the beginning.  With the sound on.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 4:14pm

Listen to it again.  From the beginning.  With the sound on.
Most people know this already but you're new- when I blew my sound card on my computer I decided I was just too lazy to put in a new one. If I want audio from a commercial I just have to catch it on TV. Which works out well because I watch a lot of TV when I am drinking, and I drink a lot.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:03pm
I'm not a mother but I can tell you from being around a lot of other new parents that taking their first steps is right behind saying their first word in importance to parents.  Look, this woman is amazed by everything her baby does, many parents act this way, and she shares it with her close friends and equally amazed grandparents and other relatives.  I just think it is something that most parents, especially first time mothers, would relate to.  Unfortunately, until you have kids, you may not see why it is so special.  And let's face it, don't we all send things that other people would look at and say, "What's the big deal?  Looks pretty silly to me.'
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:10pm
Nope. I'm a first time parent. And perhaps I am destined to "parent hell"- I don't have video, audio, or any other transcribed evidence of anything my son has done for the "first time".

He's five now, and so what? He doesn't sh*t his pants, he takes out the trash, vacuums and does the dishes. I consider myself lucky that he is so helpful, but I am not about to bore my friends and family with his daily antics.

Now when he tries to do jumps with his skateboard that he shouldn't be doing? That's when I'll be rolling tape (for my own entertainment). Until then? F*ck him. He's just a normal kid. I don't want him growing up with a sense of "I'm Special".

Even if he turns out to be a genuis like his dad in the long run- for now I don't want his ego to write checks he can't cash.
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:18pm
Whatever happened to either a SIMPLE phone call, and/or inviting people over?  Sometimes I wonder how this generation of tots is going to grow up when there are parents who take video and send it rather than letting family/friends see the kids in person.
Sillar68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillar68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

I'm not a mother but I can tell you from being around a lot of other new parents that taking their first steps is right behind saying their first word in importance to parents.  Look, this woman is amazed by everything her baby does, many parents act this way, and she shares it with her close friends and equally amazed grandparents and other relatives.  I just think it is something that most parents, especially first time mothers, would relate to.  Unfortunately, until you have kids, you may not see why it is so special.  And let's face it, don't we all send things that other people would look at and say, "What's the big deal?  Looks pretty silly to me.'

Until who has kids?
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 10:42pm
What if it were a video clip of the baby "coming out" of Mommy?DeadA first time Daddy might be proud but I don't wanna see it.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

What if it were a video clip of the baby "coming out" of Mommy?DeadA first time Daddy might be proud but I don't wanna see it.

I have no video of the birth of my son, but I have some really good footage of the conception.
Sillar68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillar68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I have no video of the birth of my son, but I have some really good footage of the conception.

I must say, your flexibility was "AMAZING," but could you put it on DVD, instead of Beta, next time?
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 2:42pm
"My" flexibility? You saw the wrong video. I don't do any of the work.
Sillar68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sillar68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 3:26pm

"My" flexibility? You saw the wrong video. I don't do any of the work.

Hilarious. 

The video may not have been you, but believe me, it was not wrong.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 9:12pm

Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Until who has kids?
I would suggest *YOU*.
Now, granted, I do not know you...but, as a 'caring parent' who has raised children to be at LEAST your age (I believe that EASILY clear to be seen), I think you are jumping to conclusions. All the same - that is me.  
*YOU* would not make such remarks, much less come to such conlucions, should you have and CARE for kids.

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 9:36pm
I wouldn't know so tell me, does it look like that is that child's first steps? They look a little too powerful to be his very first steps like mom seems to claim.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic