Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ShamWOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHaveStandards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ShamWOW
    Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:59am
I admit this is one of the hokiest direct sale ads I've ever seen. But I still like it. Vince, the Shamwow guy, isn't really obnoxious or anything (like some other TV sales guy who shall remain nameless but whose initials are BILLY MAYS) and he's somebody I feel like I know. While I was in college, I had a job demonstrating organs and pianos at fairs and shows, and I got to know a couple of these carny type sales guys and felt a little sorry for them...what a life, traveling all over to shows, doing that pitch day after day--although a couple said they made really good money.

I also love Vince's little earpiece mike--nice rock star touch--and how he says "Are you following me, camera guy?" as he moves from the soggy carpet to the pie plate where he's squeezing out the spilled cola all of three or four inches away. Finally, when he gets to the price, and announces the special deal..."If you call now--'cause we can't do this all day--you'll get EIGHT shamwows for the same low price of 19.95!!!"

We can't do this all day??? That's the same deal that's been on your website for months!!!
What a hoot!!!

Whatever, I do like shammies for washing the car and I am going to get on the website and order these things. I don't see how they could fake that cola thing in the ad!
Sponsored Links

shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:56am
This was just on.  I am torn here.  On the one hand it annoys me because he is just another talking head pitching his wares, but on the other, he isn't offending my senses like some screaming momo who feels the need to interject the item's name into every sentence as if it were a punctuation.

I'll just say that I don't hate it.
My 7 year old daughter loves to walk around the house mimicking that one lady who says....'all I can say is shammmmwow!'  My poor wife hasn't a clue as to what she means.  Once she watched the commercial, she cracked up at my daughter's ability.
was feeling nostalgic
debwood1999-1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debwood1999-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 9:44pm
I used a bunch of ShamWows (before they were called ShamWows) for years.  They worked great for drying my sweaters and picking up pet accidents.  BTW, I like this ad too.  Vince (the announcer) isn't annoying.
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:09pm
LOL You guys are entitled to your opinions, and if it doesn't offend you, then God bless ya, and more power to you, but that guy irritates the living Hell out of me. Although, I wouldn't mind owning the product, IF it works like they say it does, and I might even order some to see. But that guy, just makes me think of those guys on city street corners with the cups and balls, or the cards. He's so, 'street performer". OF COURSE the camera guy is following him, it's a commercial!!! LOL I know, let's turn off the camera and do a radio ad and show a black screen. Sorry, for raining on your parade, but I don't like this one, although, it does seem LESS annoying that most. The guy isn't screaching like a screach owl, and there isn't a bunch of infomercial music. I can live with it, but damnit, I won't like it!! LOL

AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2008 at 2:43am
He kind of reminds me of a Mafia movie or a Dick Tracy character.  One of the punks, ya know what I mean?

I find him entertaining.

Look, in order to get "Free" TV someones gotta pay for it.  As long as they aren't obnoxious or condescending or downright gross, I'm Ok with it.

"Free" only because I pay for cable.
powerfunk View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powerfunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 9:37pm
"Are you following me, camera guy?" is priceless. "Yeah, my name's Todd, and I know how to do my job, jerk."
Always, ALWAYS get CHILI on your nachos bell grande.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 1:31am
I wonder who he's talking to in the headset. I want to get one and ask him if he knows where there's any parties or something. He reminds me of that one WWE wrestler The Miz.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
swraman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swraman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 7:00pm
Vince makes me want to take a powerdrill to my forehead.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2008 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I wonder who he's talking to in the headset. I want to get one and ask him if he knows where there's any parties or something. He reminds me of that one WWE wrestler The Miz.

He's probably talking to the producer. 

Vince, "Hey, can we do this all day?" 
Producer, "No"
Vince (to the camera), "Ya know, we can't do this all day."

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 12:16am
Originally posted by swraman swraman wrote:

Vince makes me want to take a powerdrill to my forehead.

Those 2 women at the end are worse.
"I can't live without it."
"All I can say is Sham..." "WOW!"Dead
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 1:07am
uhhh...will someone let me know when nobody's looking so I can quickly and quietly beat the crap out of 'Vince' and shove that mike down his throat?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
swraman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swraman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 3:53am
lol@last 3 posts.  all true haha.
TomAnderson View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 4:07pm
The part that bothers me most about the commercial is when he pours water on the scrap of carpet.  If you watch carefully they cut the segment after he pours the cola.  He pours the liquid, it runs out from under the carpet.  Then there's a quick little dissolve, and the scrap of carpet is no longer in a puddle.  He drops a folded Shamwow on top of the carpet--and it's possible that the Shamwow already is soaked in cola--barely touches it and it soaks up all this cola.  Right there, it says to me SCAM.  If it works, do one continuous shot. 
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by TomAnderson TomAnderson wrote:

The part that bothers me most about the commercial is when he pours water on the scrap of carpet.  If you watch carefully they cut the segment after he pours the cola.  He pours the liquid, it runs out from under the carpet.  Then there's a quick little dissolve, and the scrap of carpet is no longer in a puddle.  He drops a folded Shamwow on top of the carpet--and it's possible that the Shamwow already is soaked in cola--barely touches it and it soaks up all this cola.  Right there, it says to me SCAM.  If it works, do one continuous shot. 

My husband noticed this same thing, Tom.

Nautigal View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 3:52am
Originally posted by TomAnderson TomAnderson wrote:

Yup, I was just coming here to say that! I had only seen the commercial once when I saw this thread, and happened to see it again and pay attention because someone had said the cola thing would be hard to fake. Sure enough, it's cut between the pouring/puddling and the pickup, and the Shamwow pretty much has to be full of cola when he drops it on the carpet! Doesn't mean it doesn't work, of course, but it's probably not as great as that if they can't do one shot.

promontorium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote promontorium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 2:06am
Originally posted by debwood1999-1 debwood1999-1 wrote:

I used a bunch of ShamWows (before they were called ShamWows) for years.  They worked great for drying my sweaters and picking up pet accidents.  BTW, I like this ad too.  Vince (the announcer) isn't annoying.

Duh. They're called Shammys. And they've been around forever. I knew a lot of people who used them in swimming because you can dry off in a few seconds and ring it out and walk home dry without a wet towell. And of course, any professional car washers use them standard. Shammys are great.

What you all need to know is, Vince of ShamWow is Vince Offer. The criminal mastermind of "The Underground Comedy Movie" You might have forgotten what that is, but I haven't, I was one of the unfortunate who was duped into buying that terrible thing. People who had their lives destroyed by that horrible horrible excuse for an independent "movie" helped vote it to the bottom 100 of IMDB.

To see him years later still doing infomercial ads is pleasing. Way to go Vince. Way to go.
I love commercials, for the most part.
testudfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote testudfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by promontorium promontorium wrote:

Originally posted by debwood1999-1 debwood1999-1 wrote:

Duh. They're called Shammys. And they've been around forever. I knew a lot of people who used them in swimming because you can dry off in a few seconds and ring it out and walk home dry without a wet towell. And of course, any professional car washers use them standard. Shammys are great.

What you all need to know is, Vince of ShamWow is Vince Offer. The criminal mastermind of "The Underground Comedy Movie" You might have forgotten what that is, but I haven't, I was one of the unfortunate who was duped into buying that terrible thing. People who had their lives destroyed by that horrible horrible excuse for an independent "movie" helped vote it to the bottom 100 of IMDB.

To see him years later still doing infomercial ads is pleasing. Way to go Vince. Way to go.

The better spelling is "chamois" ("sham-wah"), which is actually where this "clever" play on words for ShamWow originates.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 6:33pm
This ad is a sham. Wow I never would have suspected.
jppuertorico85 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2008 at 9:21pm
i love vince and his speaking manner in this commercial...complete opposite of billy mays!
Is visa really the only card accepted at [INSERT ANY SPORTING EVENT]???
shamWOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shamWOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2008 at 10:38am
I HATE this commercial. I think it mostly has to do with how often it's on.
danooct1 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danooct1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2008 at 6:24am
If you look at any reviews on the internet, the reviews by actual customers are always 1/10 and the reviews by company plugs (which are fairly obvious) are 10/10. Sounds like a massive scam to me.
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!
mutelover View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutelover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 6:36pm
I hate the commercial,the guy is dork.
He reminds me of some guy at the circus or county fare that will rip you off in a heartbeat.
I don't trust him for one second,
he is better than Billy Mays,but that goes without saying.
The inventor of the mute button knew billy mays would show up one day.
badbearduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badbearduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 8:03pm
Its more like SCAMWOW!
shebazz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shebazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2008 at 4:43pm
I have something similar to that - it's called "A Towel". It miraculously dries up spills like they weren't there. I can also wring it out, because it's made up of this stuff called cloth. And if I film the drying process and then speed it up drastically, it looks truly amazing!

I also have a Bluetooth headset, so I can look like some call center douche while doing it. Huh, also I wear collared shirts often. Don't have the messy-looking haircut, mine's just authentically messy... damn.
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 7:19pm
Yeah, that scene where he cuts away from the carpet...TOTAL BULLSHIIT!!!!! I have been a musician most of my life but I have had a host of other jobs when I wasn't touring or in the studio..one of which was building/ renovating houses. I have pulled up enough old carpet in my life to know anything you spill on it is going to leave a stain on the back. You might get most of it, but you aren't going to remove every trace. If it works so damned great, why have the little break in the scene?? Notice how that carpet isn't even the least little bit damp when he picks it up. This is designed to trick, fool, flim-flam, hornswaggle, and deceive common folks who aren't mechanically inclinced or those who weren't blessed with any common sense!! Anyone who has carpet and has spilled something on it before knows, no matter how much you tamp it with a towel it's gonna stay wet for a while. Thge problem isn't that your towel isn't absorbent enough, it's that carpet has padding under it and the liquid soaks through the cheap stuff to the bottom. the padding is a huge sheet of diced up and glued together sponges. NO amount of SHAM-WOWWING is gonna dry carpet like the damned commercial says. I'd be willing to bet the farm on it. I know what the hell I am talking about to cause I have five kids, and I have had plenty experience with spills!! LOL
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic