Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ShamWOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThreadKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 5:00am

This is incredible. I hadn't checked this thread in awhile, and just read testudfan's post about Vince being Vince Offer. I'd never heard of that comedy movie, but Googled and found this interesting tidbit from Wiki:

Offer, who appeared on infomericals for his movie and also sold kitchen utensils at a swap meet, appears as a spokesman in a commercial for Shamwow! absorbent towels that began airing in the spring of 2008. Offer's work on the ad received some comment in the media. Slate.com's Seth Stevenson praised Offer for his "impressive and subtle mastery of the pitchman's art" and wondered if Offer's "abrasive manner might also mark a unique, new strategy in the annals of pitchdom." Stevenson compared Offer to earlier, gentler television pitchmen like Billy Mays and the Home Shopping Network hosts and concluded that Offer's "smooth-talking condescension" was more suited to the present zeitgeist than the "earnest fervor" of spokesmen like Mays and Ron Popeil.[5]

That's pretty incredible.  I never thought I'd see the word "gentler" and "Billy Mays" in the same sentence.
Hundreds of threads killed.
Sponsored Links

Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 2:48am
Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

Stevenson compared Offer to earlier, gentler television pitchmen like Billy Mays

ConfusedConfusedConfused

YOU CALL THIS YELLER IN YOUR EAR EVERY TIME GENTLE? WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2008 at 3:02am
since when was Bill Mays considered a gentler pitchman?

Does this mean the louder you get as a pitchman the more gentler you're considered?
LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2008 at 12:18pm
Vince reminds me of one of the guys in the 50s retro group Sha Na Na. Not Bowser, but one of the others.

As for yelling the ad copy, we have one particular loudmouth here on the Left Coast. I don't know his name, but he has an enormously big bushy handlebar mustache, and yells the ad copy for lots of the local RV ads, the antique show at the San Diego Fairgrounds, and other similar things. I hate ads that YELL at you. I refuse to give them ANY of my business at all. In fact, when an ad YELLs at me, I most often locate a direct competitor of the yeller, and give the competitor my business, making very sure that he knows that I am at his business because I HATE the ads of the other guy. It is my small way of trying to inform at least one businessman somewhere that yelling ads backfire with me, so please don't succumb to the temptation to make one.

I'm a new member, just joined. But I've been a member in my heart for decades, long before the forum existed, or before I knew about it. I will be posting frequently, as I personally hate about 98% of everything (ad-wise) I hear on the radio or TV. Ads in the newspaper don't bother me, as I can quickly flip past them, noticing the very few that interest me.

On the other hand, I am addicted to AM talk radio. Regardless of what everyone else's political positions are here, commercial advertising "pays the freight" on radio. If they don't broadcast ads, they go out of business. I try to support my local station, but the idiotic ads often make me want to smash my radio with a sledge hammer to stop the @#$% ads!!!

And the endlessly repeated toll free phone numbers! Believe me, if I have any interest at all in a product or service, I will either get the number the first time, or I'll be ready to write it down the next time the ad repeats. And the ad WILL repeat! 80 or 90 thousand times before the ad campaign ends. I do not need the number to be repeated 20 times during a single play of the ad.

That's enough for now.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
the real prozac View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the real prozac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2008 at 2:57am
Originally posted by Asnotseenontv Asnotseenontv wrote:

Originally posted by ThreadKiller ThreadKiller wrote:

Stevenson compared Offer to earlier, gentler television pitchmen like Billy Mays

ConfusedConfusedConfused

YOU CALL THIS YELLER IN YOUR EAR EVERY TIME GENTLE? WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?

He probably meant to say that Offer is a gentler version of Billy Mays.  I've seen the Shamwow demo live.  They work, but not like the commercial wants you to believe.  As mentioned previously the pad under carpet is what soaks up most of the liquid spilled on it.  Of course you'll be able to get most of the liquid out of a piece of carpet with no pad under it.
All your internets are belong to me.-Anonymous
Rules 3,4,5,8 and 78
echoroc View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoroc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 1:25am
 Seriously though, you guys - these things are awesome.  I stopped buying paper towels because i was using too many.  I got these shamwow towels at a fair after watching the dude do the cola in the carpet thing.  No scene break.  They actually work really really well.  Ten times better than paper towels or regular towels. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic