Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meow Mix Cat on the countertop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Coastwizard View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coastwizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meow Mix Cat on the countertop
    Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:00am
Actually, Thor, you're absolutely right (about the tapeworms, that is), in my haste to post, I mixed up my worms. Easy to do, since there are several varieties with different life cycles that infest dogs and cats. Here is the information in its entirety:

Intestinal Worms in Dogs and Cats
Why does the veterinarian want to check a stool sample?
Dogs and cats are victims of several internal parasites frequently referred to as worms. The most common are the roundworms, hookworms, whipworms and tapeworms.A%20tapeworm%20and%20segments%20plus%20a%20number%20of%20roundworms...  Of these four only two are commonly seen in the stool with the unaided eye...roundworms and tapeworms.  Look at the photo on the right and you can see that roundworms can assume different sizes.  Plus when they are fresh they are whitish in appearance.  The single entire tapeworm in the photo usually will not be seen externally, and all you might see in the stool or attached to the fur would be the small segments that detach from the end of the tapeworm... (See the photo below.) Hooks and whips are so small that they seldom are seen in the stool.  That's precisely why a stool sample is often required in order to discover which parasite is present; the EGGS of all  these worms can be seen under the microscope and that's how their presence is detected...by looking for their eggs under the microscope! Keep in mind that it is the goal of each parasite to stay in the safety of the intestinal tract; if they come out, they'll die!   They don't want to be detected!  

Most worm infestations cause any or all of these symptoms: diarrhea, perhaps with blood; weight loss; dry hair; general poor appearance; and vomiting, perhaps with worms in the vomit. However, some infestations cause few or no symptoms; in fact some worm eggs or larvae can be dormant in the dog's body and activated only in times of stress, or in the case of roundworms and hookworms, until the later stages of pregnancy when they activate and infest the soon-to-be-born puppies and kittens.

Why should the veterinarian check a stool sample?
Kittens%20can%20have%20worms,%20too!Early diagnosis for the presence and type of intestinal parasite is very important.  The stool (only about a teaspoonful is needed) is mixed with a special solution to make the microscopic eggs more visible. Depending upon which kind of worm is present a certain type of wormer may have to be used. For example, if a cat has roundworms the veterinarian will want to prescribe a certain kind of medication specific for the elimination of roundworms.  If tapeworms are present, a different wormer will be used. Not all worms respond to the same treatment and no single wormer works against all kinds of parasites.  And some non-prescription wormers are quite ineffective in removing worms from the dog or cat.  Your veterinarian will have available for you the best kinds of wormers for the particular type of parasite your pet has. Therefore, stool samples should be taken to the veterinarian for microscopic examination for the worm eggs if worms are suspected. Many veterinarians include the stool check as part of the annual health examination.

Lets examine each type of worm individually:

Roundworms
A large percentage of puppies and kittens are born with microscopically small roundworm larvae in their tissues.  The larvae got there via migration through the mother's tissues right into the developing pup or kitten in the mother's uterus!  The worm larvae can also be transferred to the nursing pup or kitten from the mother's milk. The larvae make their way to the intestinal tract where they can grow up to five inches in length.  They start shedding eggs and try desperately to keep house in the small intestine of the pup or kitten.  The eggs that the adult worms pass in the stool can now reinfest the same pup or kitten or other dogs and cats if somehow the egg-bearing stool is eaten.  When the worm eggs hatch, larvae Worms%20are%20no%20fun%20at%20any%20age. are released internally to migrate to the animal's lungs where the larvae (remember, the larvae are microscopic in size) are finally coughed up, swallowed, and finally grow up to adults in the small intestine.   So you can see that repeated exposures to egg-bearing stool or stool-contaminated soil can cause additive numbers of parasites to a dog or cat's load.  Not good!   NOTE:  If the mother has no intestinal parasites and no encysted larvae in her tissues...the pups or kittens will be born worm free.

Roundworms are active in the intestines of puppies and kittens, often causing a pot-bellied appearance and poor growth. The worms may be seen in vomit or stool; a severe infestation can cause death by intestinal blockage. Females can produce 200 thousand eggs in a day; eggs are protected by a hard shell and can exist in the soil for years.

Roundworms can infest adult dogs and cats, too. However, as mentioned above, the larvae can encyst in body tissue of adult dogs and cats, remain dormant for periods of time, and can activate during the last stages of pregnancy to infest the puppies and kittens. Worming the mother has no effect on the encysted larvae in the body tissues and cannot prevent the worms from infecting the newborn.  Almost all wormers work only on the adult parasites IN THE INTESTINAL TRACT.

Hookworms
These are much more common in dogs than in cats. They are very small, thin worms that fasten to the wall of the small intestine and suck blood. Dogs get hookworms  from larval migration in the uterus, from contact with the larvae in stool-contaminated soil, or from ingesting the eggs after birth. As with roundworms, the hookworm larvae can also be transferred to the nursing pup from the mother's milk.

A severe hookworm infestation can kill puppies, often making them severely anemic from the loss of blood to the hookworms' vampire-like activities! Chronic hookworm infestation is a common cause of older dogs not performing optimally, having poor feed efficiency and weight maintenance, and having poor stamina. Often the signs include bloody diarrhea, weight loss, anemia, and progressive weakness. Diagnosis is made by examining the feces for eggs under a microscope.

Whipworms
This parasite is more often seen in dogs than cats.  Adult whipworms, although seldom seen in the stool, look like tiny pieces of thread with one end enlarged. They live in the cecum, the first section of the dog's large intestine. Infestations are usually difficult to prove since the whipworms shed comparatively few eggs; so an examination of even several stool samples may not reveal the presence of whipworms.  If a dog is presented with chronic weight loss and passes stool that seems to have a covering of mucous (especially the last portion of stool the dog passes), and lives in a kennel situation or an area where whipworms are prevalent, the veterinarian may prescribe a whipworm medication based upon circumstantial evidence.  Repeat wormings may be necessary especially if there is a probability that the dog will become reinfested.   Although they seldom cause a dog's death, whipworms are a real nuisance for the dog and can be a problem for the veterinarian to diagnose.

Tapeworms
Another small intestine parasite, the tapeworm is transmitted More%20segments...They%20look%20like%20rice!to dogs and cats who ingest fleas (fleas think tapeworm eggs are real Tapeworm%20segments%20caught%20in%20the%20fur%20under%20the%20tail. tasty!) or who hunt and eat wildlife or rodents infested with tapeworms or fleas. If you were to see an entire tapeworm you would notice that they are arranged with a small head at one end and many tiny brick-like repeating segments making up the rest of the worm.  It is the last segments in the chain that are released from the worm that can be seen in the dog or cats' stool or as in these photos, attached to the fur under the pet's tail.  An entire tapeworm may have 90 segment!  Many cases are diagnosed simply by seeing these tiny terminal segments attached to the pet's fur around the anus or under the tail; they even move around a bit shortly after they are passed and before they dry up and look like little grains of rice or confetti.  These segments of the tapeworm contain the eggs. Tapeworms cannot be killed by the typical generic,  over-the-counter wormers; see the veterinarian for prescription-only treatment that really works.

Prevention
Remove dog feces from back yards at least weekly, use the correct wormer under veterinary supervision, and have the dog's feces checked frequently in persistent cases. Do not mix wormers and do not use any wormer if your dog is currently taking any other medication, including Heartworm preventative, without consulting the veterinarian.

When walking the dog in a neighborhood or park, remove all feces so that the dog does not contribute to contamination of soil. Dogs and cats that are in generally good condition may not act threatened by worm infestations and may not even show symptoms. However, it's a good idea to keep your dog and cat as worm-free as possible so that if disease or stresses do occur, the pet has greater reserves and defenses to handle the crisis.

Coastwizard
Sponsored Links

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 11:32pm
...that you know of.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 1:55pm
Coastwizard, I've only seen the "dancing rice" (worm segments) when my critters have had fleas.  From what I understand, the worm larva live on the fleas and then the animals ingest the fleas.  At that point, you must treat both the worms and the fleas to get rid of the worms.  If you just treat the worms, and then the animals ingest more fleas, the worms will just return.

For several years in a row, I had to medicate my cats for this stuff.  Not the past couple of years, though.  For some reason, neither my cats nor the neighbors' cats have had fleas since maybe 2006.  And no fleas, no worms.

Oh...and while one of my cats wakes me up by batting me across the face with his paw, another one wakes me up by licking my face---and that sometimes means the lips.  Yikes...but, still, I haven't gotten worms.
Coastwizard View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coastwizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 8:19am
Ok, this is going to make me real unpopular with the pet owners, but as a zoologist, I think it's important for everyone to be aware of this.

Fact of the matter is, a much more serious concern than the dirt and bacteria dogs and cats track into the house on their feet are the tapeworm eggs they track in. These eggs are blown about by the wind and picked up by people and animals on their feet and fur when they walk around outside.

Their lifecycle includes having to be passed into the mouth of a host so they can move down into the creature's gut where they attach to the intestinal wall and proceed to draw nutrition from the host and grow, sometimes reaching lengths of up to 30 feet. After they mature, they start regularly releasing the last segment of their bodies, which constitutes an egg packet.

Once the egg packet leaves the bowel in the host's feces, it is ready to break open and be spread around by wind, grazing animals, or anything that happens to step in said feces. Humans usually break the cycle when they flush their bodily waste down the toilet instead of dropping it in the grass. However, that doesn't mean they won't end up with a tapeworm, and children and pet owners are especially vulnerable.

Pet owners can avoid being infected by practicing good hygiene. Since most humans are not in the habit of grazing, the eggs have no way of entering a person's mouth to complete their cycle...that is, unless one of the following occurs:

• the person pets his dog or cat, then eats food or reaches into his mouth without washing his hands;
  • the person allows her dog or cat to lick her face and mouth (especially after the animal has just cleaned itself!);
  • the pet is allowed to climb onto surfaces where food is prepared or where the owner's face will come into contact (i.e., pillows, bedding, cushions, etc.);
  • the owner or a family member brings his or her face into contact with indoor carpeting (by laying on the floor), eats food that has fallen on the floor or rug, plays in the dirt or works in the garden, etc., and then eats without washing his or her hands.
  • the person eats raw or insufficiently cooked pork, beef or other meat from a grazing animal.

Having your pet "wormed" only eliminates the worms presently living in the animal's body. The minute that pet touches the ground (either outside or inside) it picks up a whole fresh batch of worm eggs, and the cycle is ready to start all over again.

In other words, the eggs are out there, and their whole job is to make it into your pet's mouth or yours. Good hygiene is the best way to avoid catching a tapeworm. Symptoms that you might have one include, but are not limited to, weakness, fatigue, loss of weight and the presence of the occasional, white egg packet in your feces. (They used to actually sell these things to women as a weight loss method). If you do get one, the only way to get rid of it is by going to your doctor and having him prescribe the necessary medication to kill the worm, after which it will pass out of your body with the rest of the waste.

So now you know the best reason of all to keep Frisky and Fido down off the furniture and countertops...Oh, and no more doggie/kitty kisses on the mouth!

Those of you who are still doubters are invited to visit the following link: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/human-tapeworm-intestinal-parasite-infection.html
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 10:28pm
Big%20smile If the stinkin' fuzzball won't stay off the counter, well...make a pillow out of it! That's what *I* say (and heck, broil the rest of it...in a nice Chianti, for dinner, doncha know..).
Free%20Shipping!!%20New%20Custom%20Throw%20Pillow%20Case%20Leopard%20Cheetah%20Cat%20Fur%20Print%20Design%20Rare
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by applepiemommy applepiemommy wrote:

c) My cats are indoor/outdoor cats. I would rather they use the litter box, but they seem to prefer the lawn instead.

My cats are indoor/outdoor, too.  They like to use the neighbors' yards.  The neighbors all have cats, too...so they have no idea from whence those turdpiles come.  Evil%20Smile

applepiemommy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applepiemommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 3:28pm
I've had cats forever.

a) I use people food plates for their food because it's just food. And I wash the plates.

b) I don't let my cats on the counter, but I'll bet you anything they go up there when I'm sleeping or out of the house. So, I disinfect my counters. And use cutting boards to put my food on.

c) My cats are indoor/outdoor cats. I would rather they use the litter box, but they seem to prefer the lawn instead.

d) I hate this commercial. It's the feline equivalent of the minced fish brat.
What does Dr Traci have to say about it? http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Dr-Traci
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Dreamstalker Dreamstalker wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

My Mickey jumps up on the counter, nudges open the cabinet door (hanging from the ceiling, about a foot and a half above the counter), and jumps in.  That's where the cat treats are!

We used to keep catnip on top of the refrigerator.  There was a butcher-block cart next to it, but it was still a good leap straight up with nothing on top of the fridge to grab onto.

One day I come home to the jar (plastic) on the floor with the screwtop off, catnip everywhere and McGriff lying stretched out completely stoned in the middle of the mess.

No, we never figured out how he a) got to the top of the fridge in the first place or b) managed to get the lid off (unless whoever gave him catnip last never actually screwed the lid back on)...but how did he know?).  To this day I wish I had thought to get the camera.

LOLLOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

My Mickey jumps up on the counter, nudges open the cabinet door (hanging from the ceiling, about a foot and a half above the counter), and jumps in.  That's where the cat treats are!

We used to keep catnip on top of the refrigerator.  There was a butcher-block cart next to it, but it was still a good leap straight up with nothing on top of the fridge to grab onto.

One day I come home to the jar (plastic) on the floor with the screwtop off, catnip everywhere and McGriff lying stretched out completely stoned in the middle of the mess.

No, we never figured out how he a) got to the top of the fridge in the first place or b) managed to get the lid off (unless whoever gave him catnip last never actually screwed the lid back on...but how did he know?).  To this day I wish I had thought to get the camera.
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by fishingmachine fishingmachine wrote:

i have a simple solution to cat on the counter/table problem. most of our counters/tables are too cluttered most of the time to make it worth the effort for them. no training necessary. we do this on purpose of course.

But of course! LMAO! You want clutter? My wife is a teacher so she obviously brings a lot of stuff home to grade/prep. Our diningroom table is constantly covered with stacks of assignments, lesson plans, student's folders, etc. and is in front of our bay window. From the front sidewalk it looks like we're being audited by the IRS. I kid you not, on any given day there is no room for anything on a 9'X4' table. Sometimes stuff is even stacked on the chairs and tucked in. I tell her if she just would give scantron tests every day this wouldn't happen. She then reminds me that a set of new tires for her car would be approximately $600.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by fishingmachine fishingmachine wrote:

i have a simple solution to cat on the counter/table problem. most of our counters/tables are too cluttered most of the time to make it worth the effort for them. no training necessary. we do this on purpose of course.

I sprinkle thumb tacks on the counters.

fishingmachine View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 2:26pm
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 5:47pm
I love cats and dogs, but bunnies have a special place in my heart.
I love bunnies. I wish I could have another rabbit.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

'FurrFace' is BACK on the counter top, you say?!
      ...uhhh...rrrrriiight! That reminds me...gotta have my 'diet shake'...

cat%20in%20a%20blender

LOL PaW you're too much!!!LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Boy, there sure are a lot of cat people here. I love it!

Never saw myself as a cat lover until I got some of my own.  Not that I disliked them or anything, but I always preferred dogs.  Maybe it takes actually owning one to understand how cool they are.  'Cause a lotta people just see them as kind of all the same.

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 10:40am
Boy, there sure are a lot of cat people here. I love it!

I have no problem with the commercial. Our cats are total indoor cats but we let them roam around the terrace in warmer weather.

Blackberry's new thing is to drink water from the kitchen faucet. What she does is look up at the counter and start meowing to whoever is around to pick her up and let her drink. She never jumps up herself but she gets down on her own. Jellybean used to do this when she was younger but she just drinks from the water bowl these days.

Never had a problem with getting kisses from them. In fact, we love it. It shows that they love us as much as we love them.
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 5:23am
My $.02:
  • The cat's "naked" butt probably doesn't touch; there's a lot of fur and fat in that general area of the cat.
  • I still never allowed cats on the table or counters, not so much due to germs but b/c they'd be into everything during food prep.
  • SO true about there being more germs on the purse bottom, sponge and even a cell phone than a cat.
  • I'd cut the commercial some slack, as it's meant to depict the ultimate spoiled, finicky cat. In fact, it's a parody of the Fancy Feast commercials.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 6:45pm
 'FurrFace' is BACK on the counter top, you say?!
      ...uhhh...rrrrriiight! That reminds me...gotta have my 'diet shake'...

cat%20in%20a%20blender
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 12:58am
That's funny.  LOL

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

Poor little kitty...
 Nawwww...it's not "little"! It's a "Single Serving"!  
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 12:28am
Poor little kitty...
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Big%20smile"Here kitty ktty..."

HOT PU**Y!

LOL

I hope that's photoshopped.

RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 11:35pm
Oh, the puns that come to mind.... I should just leave it alone though.

Mighty hot looking pu................
Be sure to eat all your pu...............

No- I will just leave it alone.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 11:30pm
Big%20smile"Here kitty ktty..."
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by JasperGretsch JasperGretsch wrote:

Our cat Reeses opens the bottom cabinets so we had to install internal baby locks. But after that learned to open the top cabinets every once in a while. Her latest thing is to open the drawers. She stands on her back paws, hangs on to the top of the cabinet door, pulls herself up so she can stand on the bottom bevel of the door, then pulls herself up to hook her claws in the drawer above so she can lean back and open it.

We used to keep her catnip and her food (I portion her food by the bowl daily and then divide it at meal times) in the same drawer. One day she opened the drawer and got fat on food and high on catnip. Every cats dream.

Needless to say I don't keep the food or the catnip there any more.

My bottom cabinets are baby-proofed.  But they do open---about 4 inches, just enough for the cats to squeeze their way through.  They were into that when they were younger, but they've since lost interest.  No treats in there, I guess.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic