Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy Blue Moon New Year

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 10:53pm
Confused Bein' the friggin' simpleton I am, I just wanna know if anyone can tell me if there's been a 'Blue Moon' (other than the Coors Beer version) that started in one decade and ended in another?
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

And I'll go the other way- by your (lack of) logic, the first day wouldn't be day one because as you pointed out before- it isn't over. So day 2 would be day 1.

There is a reason calendars are "anticipatory" instead of exact units of measure.

Riddle me this, quiz kid- why are we in the "21st" century when all but one of the remaining years will start with "20"? Because whether you have completed the year, decade, or century- the next unit of measure rounded up is the unit of measure. Citing a baby's age is a strawman as well, you don't refer to a baby as being "zero", he or she is "in their first year", or you use a smaller unit of measure (days, weeks, months).

If you really believed what you say, you would still be referring to this current century as the 20th century.

No.  It's what you're in, not what you're done with.  You're in the 1st day until it's completed.  Day 2 would be day 1 plus any fraction thereof.  Same holds true for any period of time.  We are now in the 21st century because 20 have already been completed.  In other words, we're "working on" the 21st century, as we've finished with the 20th.  We'll be in the 21st until it's completed.  Same with decades.  We've completed the 200th decade, and now we're working on the 201st.  As far as this century, we're in the 21st because we're at 20 centuries plus about 1/10th of the 21st.  That's 20 plus .10, or 2010.

If you're a half-year old, it doesn't mean you're "0".  You were 0 at birth, and now you're working on 1.  So, you're in your 1st year.  Working on it, but in it.  Still, if you were to put it into fractions, you would be 0.5.  But that doesn't make you 0.

This is getting silly.  Disregard all the above.  Tell me...at what age did you reach your twenties---20 or 21?  And what decade of life were your twenties for you---your second or third?

RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 11:17pm
See? You do agree with me. The very first day of the first year is still considered to be in the first year. Hence there could be no year "0", hence (with 10 years in a decade) a decade is always going to be the years ending 01-10. The day I turned 20 started my 21st year in life, and began my third decade.

Thank you for conceding.

Pa- As no one is in disagreement of the "definition" of a blue moon (two full moons in one month) there would be no way for a "blue moon" to span multiple year or decades. But you knew that.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 11:42pm
Wow.  I already conceded when I said you can look at it any way you wish.  You can look at this year as 2525 if you want.  And by all means...go out and celebrate New Year's Eve on the evening of Jan 1st, if you want.  At least there won't be many other drunks on the road.

RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 1:31am
As I would never drive a car after drinking, I'm not someone you would need to worry about on the road. Mostly I drink at home because its safer and cheaper. Sometimes I party at some of my friends' houses, and they are mostly within walking distance.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 3:52am
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

YIFFY,

Agreed.Big%20smile

What's got him down BTW? WTF?
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic