Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Smirnoff Ice "I can't believe I was there!!!"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smirnoff Ice "I can't believe I was there!!!"
    Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 2:53am
The latest Smirnoff Ice commercial has a bunch of kids spray painting an abandoned gas station purple, then throwing a party inside where everyone has these weird looking lights on their heads.

At the end you hear this girl's voice over saying "I can't believe I was there!!!" 

WTF???? It's not like you were at the falling of the Berlin Wall or the Kennedy assassination, hon..... you were at a stupid teeny-bopper party where a bunch of nitwits put flashlights on their heads & Christmas tree lights in their hair!!!!

B.....F.....D.....!!!!!! Angry

And BTW, I notice they made no mention of the acid & Ecstasy that was probably being washed down with the Smirnoff Ice.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 3:01am
What a waste of a perfect gas station.

Oh well, I guess you can admire the creativity...Ermm

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 3:21am
What a waste of purple paint.....
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 5:28am
I haven't seen that one, but I really hate the pretension of the one where the guy says something like, "I guess we just got tired of all the usual places."  It looks like they're in the subway. Then, suddenly, they all break out in song with their horns. They sound like a professional band.  They're all pretentious, and I hate them.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 3:43pm
Pretentious ads made to appeal to pretentious people.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 4:01pm
When I was 16, my friends and I used to party at an abandoned mansion.  We even spray-painted the fireplace in the ballroom area of the house with the name of our made-up fraternity, Lac Ta Maon.

Oh, yeah...there were 2 graves on the property (of people who died in the 1940s).  We tried digging one of 'em up for the Halloween dance, but we were drinking, it got dark, and we all had to get home.

Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 4:11pm
I don't know, I think I'd rather remember being at some goofy party than the Kennedy assassination. Or maybe even the razing of that wall.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 4:23pm
I was alluding to the comparative importance of the events.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 4:40pm
I don't get the whole effort that the young people put into the party.  Normal people would've just gone to the place with a lotta beer and pot, and maybe a ghetto blaster, and gotten right into the partying.  Paint the place?  Not gonna happen.  Even the dancing part wouldn't happen.  And then, everyone arrives at the party at the same time?  Unh-unh.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

On the other hand, what else are ya gonna do with purple paint?

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 6:44pm
I dunno - I'd rather buy a few bottles of Smirnoff vodka and different mixers. Smirnoff Ice, though I never had one, reminds me of something sickeningly sweet and tart at the same time.  I remember thinking we were so cool ordering "Sloe Gin Fizzes" back in the day. Now, if I tried one, that sugar would hit my intestines like a freight train. Blech!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 1:30am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Well DUH!!!!!

You'd fill up balloons with it & drop them off of highway overpasses onto cars...

Hel - LOOOOO??????

Do I have to explain everything???????

Big%20smile

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 1:38am

I don't get the whole effort that the young people put into the party.  Normal people would've just gone to the place with a lotta beer and pot, and maybe a ghetto blaster, and gotten right into the partying.  Paint the place?  Not gonna happen.  Even the dancing part wouldn't happen.  And then, everyone arrives at the party at the same time?  Unh-unh.

When I was that age nobody ever even bothered finding an abandoned gas station or any other bulding for that matter.  

Any open field out in the boonies would do.

Sometimes, somebody (who I usually didn't even know) would live in or have access to a big old house with a big yard, maybe along the river & would throw a big blow-out with a live band & several kegs, etc.

One of those things that you just hear about & show up at.

C'mon, man!
dp7 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dp7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 2:23am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Then, suddenly, they all break out in song with their horns. They sound like a professional band.  They're all pretentious, and I hate them.

It looks so staged, fake and stupid when they all suddenly break out with the neon glow-in-the-dark body gear.  Come on!  Like they'd really stand in a dark room and then bust out like that revealing their glow-in-the-dark stuff in unison.  It looks like they all were doing some choreographed dance move where they all have to shake their lights to ensure we, the viewer, know they are there!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 2:34am
It's soooooo edgy!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 2:36am

Well DUH!!!!!

You'd fill up balloons with it & drop them off of highway overpasses onto cars...

Hel - LOOOOO??????

Do I have to explain everything???????

Big%20smile

Painting the cat's also fun.  Or Mom's floors.

But if it's spray paint, you can huff it.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 2:38am
Originally posted by dp7 dp7 wrote:

Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Then, suddenly, they all break out in song with their horns. They sound like a professional band.  They're all pretentious, and I hate them.

It looks so staged, fake and stupid when they all suddenly break out with the neon glow-in-the-dark body gear.  Come on!  Like they'd really stand in a dark room and then bust out like that revealing their glow-in-the-dark stuff in unison.  It looks like they all were doing some choreographed dance move where they all have to shake their lights to ensure we, the viewer, know they are there!

Amazing how much work goes into impromptu and spontaneous, huh?

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 6:36am
Yes, and after breaking into places and/or trespassing, the ad says, "Drink responsibly."
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 3:41pm
And they never show all the illegal drugs being consumed along with the Smirnoff Ice.

As if a bunch of kids who'd stage something like that to begin with wouldn't be using 
narcotics too.

The fakey, phony, fairytale world of commercials.

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 10:15pm

When I was that age nobody ever even bothered finding an abandoned gas station or any other bulding for that matter.  

Any open field out in the boonies would do.

Sometimes, somebody (who I usually didn't even know) would live in or have access to a big old house with a big yard, maybe along the river & would throw a big blow-out with a live band & several kegs, etc.

One of those things that you just hear about & show up at.

Yeap, and most of the time you never meet the guy throwing the party. "Whos throwing this party anyway?"
"Dunno, I hear he's back in the bedroom tripping on LSD."
"Cool."
Partying in an abandoned gas station? Abandoned means no working water and everyone knows what drinking beer does.
Five-0 has probably setup check-point Charlie a quarter mile down the road for more post-party  festivities.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic