Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kaiser Permanente "Old Woman" song (video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaiser Permanente "Old Woman" song (video)
    Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 7:49am
Kaiser Permanente is a huge healthcare organization, with their own hospitals and doctors.  They are only in certain areas of the U.S.  They are here in California, Atlanta, and I'm not sure where else.

Anyway, this commercial just gets on my nerves.  It's a song by Michelle Shocked, which goes "When I grow up, I want to be an old woman." 

I hate her voice, I hate the song, and I hate the commercial.  It drives me crazy.

Sponsored Links

Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 9:16am
She keeps singing like that, she won't make it to old age. 
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 11:20am

Anyone who doesn't hate HUMANS will be rooting for her!

It's okay! The commercials may suck- but Mooch doesn't get them!!!!!!

lmmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 3:28pm
I kinda like the song.  But in the actual song, when she grows up, she plans on marrying an old man and having 120 babies, which is something I'd suppose Kaiser wouldn't be particularly happy about.

Also, in the music video, she takes a few of those "babies", and smashes their heads with a sledgehammer.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 3:56pm
The commercial seems a tad pointless ~ if I heard it on the radio, I wouldn't have a CLUE what it was about, and probably woudn't think about it another minute...unless David Lee Roth was singing it, in which case, I'd really wonder what it was all about.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Craftychiq View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craftychiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 4:43pm
Really THAT'S the best song they could come up with for this song? What about Brickhouse by the Commodores?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 5:52pm
Odd.

Only based on the one time I've viewed it (here - we don't get the commercial in Massachusetts)....

I like it.

I don't especially want to be an old woman, but I'd like to think that in another 40 years I will be one that is capable of doing the things they do in the commercial (not that I've ever been a cheerleader - no really). 

Played over and over again - can ruin anything. 

*I should probably also throw in that a friend of mine currently has a mom in a Kaiser facility, recovering from a massive heart attack 2 weeks ago.  She's probably going to pull through.  So, when I view this clip, I automatically think of my friend and her mom.

I suspect this commercial makes HER burst into tears....
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Bena View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 7:28pm
Watch the commercial again. When the two old broads shake their hips back and forth like hula dancers, the soundtrack makes a rattling-bones sound. That mismatch on the soundtrack conveys the polar-opposite point they are trying to make. They're supposed to be telling us that we can dance into old age. Yet the soundtrack goes to a skeletal sound during the dancing part.

I am even a fan of MIchelle Shocked, but she has LOTS better songs than this they could have chosen from!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 2:59am
Bena, there were two versions of the commercial online, but I chose this one just because of the rattling bones (although I thought it sounded more like a rattlesnake).

I don't like Michelle Shocked's voice (I had to look up who sings it).  And the way they edited the music, it sounds wrong to me.  At the end, the last part would be better if it was just a repeat of "An old, old, old, old (whatever) woman," instead of the whole saying ("When I grow up...").  It just doesn't sound right, beat-wise.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 3:00am
Oh, and I forgot to add that it sounds like she's singing, "A no-no-no-no-no-no-an old woman."  Ick.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 7:35pm
She sounds like Jewel trying to sound like Joni Mitchell
applepiemommy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote applepiemommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 4:04am
I like it. But In don't like imagining them all getting mammograms.
What does Dr Traci have to say about it? http://www.blogtalkradio.com/Dr-Traci
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic