Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Humane Society of the US Commercial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lloen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Humane Society of the US Commercial
    Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 4:32pm
The one with all the sad animals, now that kills me. But what I can't stand about it is the god awful annoying music that plays with it. It's probably Sarah McLachlan or something like that, she's pretty much the queen of annoying music.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 4:46pm
We had a thread about this a while back. Most of us said that that ad. including the song, makes us bawl like babies!Cry
Lloen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lloen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 4:58pm
Aww, that's a shame. I've just heard it about 3 times and I've only been awake for an hour or so.

But I just signed up here, I wanna be a part of these forums. :D
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Big Momma Big Momma wrote:

We had a thread about this a while back. Most of us said that that ad. including the song, makes us bawl like babies!Cry

The song is annoying. I can't understand a word of it, whether in the commercial or on the radio. It just sounds like random whining. I feel bad for the animals too- and I admire people like Bob Barker who are VERY active about doing something to control the population of animals by way of neuter and spay. But just wanting people to randomly send money to take care of them? I mean, if that's someone's thing so be it- but don't beg others.

Aren't there hungry CHILDREN in this country who need to be housed and fed? I am not trying to act completely like my name, but we crawled our way to the top of the food chain for a reason, getting fed first is a perk.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 6:30pm

The commercials ARE 'sappy'...and SarahM's whiney-tune quit wrenching the heartstrings long ago - 'cept for youth that may have a 'new-found respect for life'...as far as Animal Shelters here? They are swamped with volunteers - a person actually has to go on a 'waiting list' to help! Other than having their nuts cut off (or, getting spayed), 'shelter-critters' around here have a LOT of family and friends - and don't get 'put down'. MissyDWolf plays with the (overly-loved) 'unloved', on a volunteer basis...just TRY and go 'walk a dog'! I dare you - you might get a chance - say, next summer. LOTS of people proudly support the Humane Society; it's such a good thing for everyone that has an opportunity...need a different commercial, though.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 6:34pm
Exactly what I was talking about- people who are REALLY doing something to help the cause aren't asking you for money. Any shlub can throw cash at a charity, and that's nice too- but the people who get involved are the ones I have respoect for.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

Exactly what I was talking about- people who are REALLY doing something to help the cause aren't asking you for money. Any shlub can throw cash at a charity, and that's nice too- but the people who get involved are the ones I have respoect for.

sh*t, RC, do you need Aretha to spell it for ya?  Wink
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 8:16pm
The place I adopted my cat from is a "no-kill" place, meaning they stay as long as it can.  It runs off donations & adoption fees.
The timing of these ads come as people are more likely to donate to charities. IMO. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 12:33am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

The commercials ARE 'sappy'...and SarahM's whiney-tune quit wrenching the heartstrings long ago - 'cept for youth that may have a 'new-found respect for life'...as far as Animal Shelters here? They are swamped with volunteers - a person actually has to go on a 'waiting list' to help! Other than having their nuts cut off (or, getting spayed), 'shelter-critters' around here have a LOT of family and friends - and don't get 'put down'. MissyDWolf plays with the (overly-loved) 'unloved', on a volunteer basis...just TRY and go 'walk a dog'! I dare you - you might get a chance - say, next summer. LOTS of people proudly support the Humane Society; it's such a good thing for everyone that has an opportunity...need a different commercial, though.

I tried volunteering a few times.  The number of volunteers was so great, that it was going to be a long time before I'd be able to walk a dog.  Until then, I'd have been able to do desk work.  Hell, I was in an office for 5 days a week---no way was I gonna do the same on a weekend.

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 12:37am
I volunteered with bunnies for a while because of Bernie

But I have to stop because I work on Saturdays and need more money.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
The Last Brain Left View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 4:48am
They do tend to lay the guilt on ya real thick with these ads. Cry
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 5:15am
I recently applied at Pets Unlimited, which is a vet's office, a surgical office, and an adoption center.  They say you will have to wait as well, and for who knows how long.  I used to be a "cat socializer" at the San Francisco SPCA, but I was just diagnosed with the fibromyalgia and couldn't sit on the floor.  With the hand/arm problems, I couldn't volunteer with the dogs, because you had to be able to walk them (which I couldn't) and pick up 50 lbs of dog to bathe them.  That let me out.  But there was no waiting list for them at the time.

However, the SF/SPCA has been under fire for their changes in policies.  They've gone from being "no-kill" to "low-kill," yet they take animals from the Central Valley.  The head of the place abruptly ended a hearing-dog training program when the dogs had about a week to go before "graduation," and the people counting on them were just left adrift.  It made no sense, and still makes no sense.  There are quite a few people who used to work there, who now refuse to support the place because they say it's become corrupt, and they care more about money than they do about the animals.  Lots of accusations going on.  It's awful.

But TJ is going to be 19 in January, and his blood pressure is very high, he's having trouble with his vision, and he's getting senile.  He doesn't seem to be suffering yet:  he's eating and going to the bathroom regularly.  However, when his time comes, I won't be able to afford to get another cat.  I have had cats for 31 years, so that's going to be hard.  I figured maybe I could get my animal fix by volunteering.  As it is, some days you can just go in and sit with the cats that are in a communal room.

About the commercial:  I hate it.  It tugs at the heartstrings of those of us who already love animals and who do what we can.  I always change the channel when it comes on.
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 12:54am
One of my biggest pet peeves: stop saying that are there children (or whatever you want to fill in the blank) who need money more than animals?  Why do people always get their panties in a wad about people who want to donate money to animals?  First, alot of us donate to all types of charities, some for animals, some for children/poor.  Second, do you donate to anything, or do you just complain about people who donate to animals?  And finally, I am so sick of people questioning me, or other people, about spending money on our animals or other animals.  My God, look at all of the inatimate crap people waste money on: clothes, liquor, betting, hair, makeup, toys, cars, and rich people might as well burn some of their money for what they spend it on.  Really, next time you start to gripe about someone sending 20 dollars to the SPCA, look at all the money you spend that someone else might think is wasted.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 1:01am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

One of my biggest pet peeves: stop saying that are there children (or whatever you want to fill in the blank) who need money more than animals?  Why do people always get their panties in a wad about people who want to donate money to animals?  First, alot of us donate to all types of charities, some for animals, some for children/poor.  Second, do you donate to anything, or do you just complain about people who donate to animals?  And finally, I am so sick of people questioning me, or other people, about spending money on our animals or other animals.  My God, look at all of the inatimate crap people waste money on: clothes, liquor, betting, hair, makeup, toys, cars, and rich people might as well burn some of their money for what they spend it on.  Really, next time you start to gripe about someone sending 20 dollars to the SPCA, look at all the money you spend that someone else might think is wasted.

Clap
bwestfall View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 1:07am
Faith SF, you look like a cat owner, doesn't that bug you when someone acts like you are dirt because you give money to an animal cause and not something else (more worth?)?
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 1:08am
Yeah, I don't see why you can't do both.

Or have a make orphans happy with animals society.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 1:15am
I am strictly against any commercial that lays on waves and waves of guilt to suck cash out of people, including those who don't have the money to give.  And those that simply can't just basically get made to feel like they are human garbage for not donating money.  I love animals, but this one is starting to get just as bad as any of those christian children's fund commercials.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 3:19am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Faith SF, you look like a cat owner, doesn't that bug you when someone acts like you are dirt because you give money to an animal cause and not something else (more worth?)?

Bwestfall:  Yes, I am a cat owner.  Unfortunately, I am also disabled and broke.  So many good charities and causes tug at me, and it is literally painful that I cannot give. 

However, I know exactly what you are talking about.  The San Francisco SPCA, before it got came under new management and was a really great place, built a brand-new, state-of-the-art hospital and shelter, called Maddie's Place.  It was named for the deceased pet of the person who donated millions of dollars for that exact purpose.  And you should have seen some of the reactions to this shelter!  So many opponents yelled about how the money should have gone to people, instead of animals.  "The taxpayers, blah blah, blah."  Well, it wasn't the taxpayers' money, as I just said.  And this person had the money to establish the place.  You're allowed to give your money away in whatever way you see fit.

Unfortunately, the donations now go to paying the upper management, and they have closed programs and went from a no-kill shelter to a "low-kill" shelter. 

Also, it's been proven that having a pet lowers your blood pressure, and is emotionally helpful.  So many people are lonely, and the only outlet for their love is for their pets.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 4:39am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

And you should have seen some of the reactions to this shelter!  So many opponents yelled about how the money should have gone to people, instead of animals.  "The taxpayers, blah blah, blah." 

Ahh, yes.  I remember that.  I worked with a guy who thought all that money (I think it was either $44 mil or $144 mil) should go to help the homeless of SF.  He didn't live in SF, so he had little problem with the homeless. 

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 9:34pm
This time of the year, I'd rather see people donating to these places rather than adopting a puppy or kitten. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that "if" that new pet is planned.
The cuteness of a puppy for Christmas wears off. Little Timmy or Sally no longer wants to take care of Fido so Fido gets a doghouse out somewhere in the backyard.Unhappy 
DobesRGr8 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DobesRGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 10:26pm
Well said, Bwestfall!
“I have always believed that writing advertisements is the second most profitable form of writing. The first, of course, is ransom notes...." --Philip Dusenberry
Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 9:48pm
That commercial really tugs at my heart. and I don't understand either all the talk about "people" needing donations. Can't we do BOTH? This reminds me of the time I was riding with a friend of mine and we passed a poor cat that had obviously been run over, but was still alive. I told her to stop and we could take it to a vet or something. At least get it out of the street. She said "There are so many PEOPLE who need help!" I said. "Yeah, but how is NOT stopping to help that poor animal going to help a needy person. What kind of logic is that?!"Confused But she didn't stop anyway...
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Stacy Stacy wrote:

That commercial really tugs at my heart. and I don't understand either all the talk about "people" needing donations. Can't we do BOTH? T....

Yes, but the reality is that "we" don't.  If forced to prioritize, many would choose human survival first.

The injured cat on the road is a bad example; it was one animal and the argument should not have applied in that instance.

If there were an injured human next to the injured animal, and you could only help one - which would make more sense.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 6:30pm

Holly, I realize the question is hypothetical, but it's also practical.  I guess I'd assess the situation and determine which was more crucial.

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 10:03pm
This commercial makes me sad.Cry

Poor dogs and cats. I support the Humane Society thing, but sometimes dogs and cats can be sooooo damn annoying!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic