Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More Subway Elitism (facepalm)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skullface2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Subway Elitism (facepalm)
    Posted: 08 Nov 2009 at 10:51pm
Will those douchebags ever get the message? Just when I thought the team that started this monstrasity was fired, they made more of these asinine ads, pun not intended. They feature a rip-off of Burger King or McDonalds and some office workers (seriously, why must EVERY OTHER ad take place in an office, but that's another topic) decide to head there for lunch. This restaurant features such "clever and witty" items such as the "Can my butt get any bigger?" meal or the "opposite sex repellant." I thought Subway was a professional company, and being a fan of Subway, I am disgusted with these juvenile tactics that this corporation has to resort to bullying to get their point across. I am actually going to send them a complaint soon if I see this ad again. Who's with me?
"Never doubt the power of stupidity in numbers." Why do you think there's so many crappy commercials out there?
Sponsored Links

DobesRGr8 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DobesRGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2009 at 6:25pm

I agree, skullface2112: That Subway ad is annoying and an insult to viewers' intelligence. (Of course, we all know that most U.S.-produced advertising is insulting to the intellect.) And, as a female, I find it particularly irritating that one of the women in the commercial asks for the "Could-My-Butt-Look-Any-Bigger" Burger. Once again, the advertising media plays into the insidious notion that women not only are expected to be physically flawless (in this case, devoid of curvy or “fluffy” buttocks), but that they also are preoccupied with achieving physical flawlessness.

I am so sick of the gender stereotypes in advertising, and so tired of companies and their ad-agency "experts" resorting to imbecilic, condescending messages to market their products. Do they *really* believe that's an effective strategy? I'll stay home and make my own sub sandwich; thank you very much.

Incidentally, I worked at Leo Burnett Advertising for nearly a decade (can't imagine why the heck I stayed in the industry that long), and I was always fascinated by the cleverness and ingenuity of our international competitors. Never could understand why America is big on dumbing down everything. Sheesh—according to marketers, the largest consumer demographic in this country consists of undiscerning troglodytes. (And that’s not giving enough credit to our prehistoric cave-dwellers.)

“I have always believed that writing advertisements is the second most profitable form of writing. The first, of course, is ransom notes...." --Philip Dusenberry
PitLoad413 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PitLoad413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 6:00am
I'm with you 300%! It's about time Subway ditches this goddamn Yuppie Diet Nazi campaign! For the seventieth f*cking time, not everyone who eats a extra-value combo is a fat-ass, disease-ridden tub of goo alright!!!  We get it...eating too much fast-food will effect your health! However, Subway is no better! What Subway needs to do is to improve its food and fire...better yet kill its marketing staff and go back to basics!
skullface2112 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skullface2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 9:21pm
Normally I don't like to point fingers, but I think Jared gave Subway the ego trip as the "healthiest" restaurant in this concrete jungle. That being said, Subway needs to give themselves a reason to deem themselves worthy of this title. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Subway (I went there yesterday, as a matter of fact) but if they continue this insidious and moronic ad campaign, they will get one less customer.
"Never doubt the power of stupidity in numbers." Why do you think there's so many crappy commercials out there?
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2009 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by DobesRGr8 DobesRGr8 wrote:

I agree, skullface2112: That Subway ad is annoying and an insult to viewers' intelligence. (Of course, we all know that most U.S.-produced advertising is insulting to the intellect.) And, as a female, I find it particularly irritating that one of the women in the commercial asks for the "Could-My-Butt-Look-Any-Bigger" Burger. Once again, the advertising media plays into the insidious notion that women not only are expected to be physically flawless (in this case, devoid of curvy or “fluffy” buttocks), but that they also are preoccupied with achieving physical flawlessness.

I am so sick of the gender stereotypes in advertising, and so tired of companies and their ad-agency "experts" resorting to imbecilic, condescending messages to market their products. Do they *really* believe that's an effective strategy? I'll stay home and make my own sub sandwich; thank you very much.

THANK YOU! I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought the people who are helping to drive down the self esteem of people targeting their particular fears based on sex/race/etc. need to be taken out and shot.

I'll take me a curvy chick with a lot going on upstairs over any of the vapid perfection-striving bitches in those commercials any day!
Craftychiq View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craftychiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 5:37pm
Actually I'm seeing more of their commercials aimed at men (the four or five guys in the auto shop or whatever that is) but what I loved is how the one guy was actually like "yeah alright" when he got his meal, like screw this I'm eating it anyway. I'm guessing he slipped under their radar;)

It's such false advertising though because if you order any sandwich other than that sub they're always advertising or you actually add toppings to the minute amount of meat and cheese they actually make the sandwich with (I recently ordered a half meatball sub and literally got 3 little frozen meatballs and a half slice of provolone for 6 bucks, really?!) and then of course you pair it up with the extremely salty campbells soup selection and/or finish off with a cookie or two and you're about on the same level as those "other" fast food places:-P Personally if I want a soup and sandwich I'll go to Panera Bread. I don't know what the whole caloric/fat ratio is with them but the sandwiches taste light years better and their salads kick ass:-D
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Craftychiq View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craftychiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by RichardCranium RichardCranium wrote:

[QUOTE=DobesRGr8]

I'll take me a curvy chick with a lot going on upstairs over any of the vapid perfection-striving bitches in those commercials any day!

Hey remember, whenever you come across a chick who's built like David Bowie just hand her a pair of those ass tumor booty lifter panties, problem solved:-P
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Craftychiq Craftychiq wrote:

[QUOTE=DobesRGr8]

Hey remember, whenever you come across a chick who's built like David Bowie just hand her a pair of those ass tumor booty lifter panties, problem solved:-P

LMAO- I remember a party where I was deep in discussion with this Amazon broad and for some reason I had some primal urge to put it to her but good, she was really wild. My wife kept teasing me that it would turn out like The Crying Game, but I hung in there. I finally get her alone and she was indeed a woman, not exactly built for speed- but in the dark who cares?

Anyway- it turned out really awesome because she did things that, well... things that MOST girls won't do.

I think the ass-pad under britches would have wrecked it though.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 8:15pm

LMAO- I remember a party where I was deep in discussion with this Amazon broad and for some reason I had some primal urge to put it to her but good, she was really wild. My wife kept teasing me that it would turn out like The Crying Game, but I hung in there. I finally get her alone and she was indeed a woman, not exactly built for speed- but in the dark who cares?

Anyway- it turned out really awesome because she did things that, well... things that MOST girls won't do.

I think the ass-pad under britches would have wrecked it though.

TMI.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 8:30pm
And THAT is my purpose in life. LOL
Duffin View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 5:09pm
Subway's got this other commercial out which, i think, hits a better chord and they should go more in that direction from now on. There are some guys sitting aorund a table, presumably in an office lunch room. Two guys are begging this guy for his Subway sandwich, but they have kid voices. It plays up the whole, "I'll trade you your sandwich for my pudding" thing kids do in school sometimes. Then a big tall guy comes up to be the "bully". It's actually pretty amusing. See, that's the way Subway should go, not perpetuating stereotypes.
Sheerterror77@hotmai View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheerterror77@hotmai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 5:51am

Originally posted by DobesRGr8 DobesRGr8 wrote:

THANK YOU! I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought the people who are helping to drive down the self esteem of people targeting their particular fears based on sex/race/etc. need to be taken out and shot.

Thank You!
The gender role reinforcement and anxiety marketing tactics have been getting to me for months now and starting to make me angry as hell!! Profiting off of making people feel like sh*t and changing the mentality of society for the worse is no way to make a living. It's getting hard to boycott all of the businesses who have succumb to the lowest point in advertising. The businesses who "pioneered" the commercial degradation of society have led the ways for other businesses and ad agencies to sink just as low just to compete on such a sick and repugnant level.

I just want to poop on their faces.

Ads constantly tell us that we are not good enough and that the only way to be "good enough" (and of course, you never can be, that would just defeat the purpose) is to buy their goods and keep buying them and whatever other products that are created to meet the "needs" you never knew you had before... resulting in a never ending cycle of excessive consumerism.

Don't get me wrong, consumerism gives people jobs and stimulates the economy (and pollution sometimes), but I think they have gone too far in perpetuating this vicious cycle, I feel it will only get worse.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Sheerterror77@hotmai Sheerterror77@hotmai wrote:

I just want to poop on their faces.

LMAO!!! Now there's a solution!

I wonder how bummed out they would be to see a lot of people figuring out that when you break it down, there is no huge difference between Subcrap, McCrap, Crap King, etc. and that when one totally abandons fast food, and even sit down restaurant food for the most part, one tends to start losing weight to appear more like the people they tell you are how they can make you?

A few months ago, for health reasons, my wife had to make some adjustments to the things she eats. No more caffein, no more HFCS, no more processed foods. I didn't have to, but I chose to in order to support her. Three months later, we've both lost weight. She has to be careful, because she didn't need to lose any weight, so her doctor prescribed a powder that helps her maintain her weight- meanwhile I could still stand to lose a few pounds so I'm not worried about it yet.

And it just wasn't that hard- but it ain't cheap. And that's where they have you. Especially in tough ecenomies such as this- they know a "dollar menu" of pre-made food is going to look real attractive to a single mother of three than say, a bag of organic romaine lettuce at a cost of $1 a pound (I don't know what it costs, the wife does the grocery shopping- I just know it's more than iceberg). Throw in a supposedly "healthy" alternative, and its a recipe for disaster.

But I've ranted enough on this subject- there are so many angles of the things that piss me off about the objectification of the human body in commercials I could go on all day.

Leave it to me to decide how to objectify broads.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic