Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

iDon't

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korydvandyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iDon't
    Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 1:26pm

Watch commercial first, then highlight the following:

I don't know what this movie's about, and I don't really care. But this advertisement is PURE GENIUS. I feel like this was made by somebody on these forums that hates the neo-hip iPod commercials as much as I do. So, for the first time ever I commend the advertising execs behind this commercial.
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 3:22pm
iDont understand why you would think this is a movie.  iDont think it's anything other than some new product.
korydvandyke View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korydvandyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 3:55pm
The fine print at the bottom mentions "Lucasfilm, Ltd."
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 7:10pm
I see that now.  I wonder if they're now contributing effects to TV commercials and/or tech products.

I kind of like how the commercial addresses the cutesy little girl music that so many commercials use nowadays.  It reminds me of how Don Imus, in his days as a DJ in New York, used to let a disco record play for a minute or so, and then slide the needle over the remainder of the track to express his disdain.

big_E View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 7:13pm
This is an ad for a new cell phone called the Google Android.  Its Google's answer to the apple iphone.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:43pm
I'm pretty sure it's only on T-Mobile so it's meaningless to me as a consumer.
not_a_dumb_dad View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote not_a_dumb_dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 11:30pm
supposedly it's Verizon's answer to the iPhone and will save us all...

but not from paying through the nose for data service and ringtones and apps and etc..

Advertising is a racket, like the movies and the brokerage business. You cannot be honest without admitting that its constructive contribution to humanity is exactly minus zero.
rickhamilton620 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickhamilton620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 12:59am
I'm in love with this ad! I'm kinda a cell phone nerd,Embarrassed, and this hit on almost every reason why I'm not an iPhone fan. The music's not bad either. And yes, the Motorola Droid is one of several Google Android powered phones coming to Verizon soon. Makes my decision to leave and go to T-Mobile that much harder, as this along with the HTC Imagio seem to be making Verizon's smartphone lineup look way better than before.Confused
booboo12 on NBR :D ;)
Captain Pipcard View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Pipcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 4:27am
Originally posted by korydvandyke korydvandyke wrote:

"Droid" is a registered trademark of Lucasfilm, Ltd. (due to Star Wars)

Don't you think that's kinda stupid?

We have the power of imagination.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 4:40am
Originally posted by Captain Pipcard Captain Pipcard wrote:

It's on par with another trademark Lucasfilm has/had;  'NaziTMConfused

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickhamilton620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 3:23am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

It's on par with another trademark Lucasfilm has/had;  'NaziTMConfused

Seriously? Wow, then again people trademark everything these days. Donald Trump trademarked the phrase "You're Fired! LOL"
EdReed View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 8:03pm
Droid is trademarked by Lucasfilm.  Mutant is trademarked by Marvel.  Super Hero is jointly owned by Marvel and DC Comics.  It's only natural for companies to trademark concepts that their products are based on.  Without this protection, Lucasfilm would have no power if someone wanted to make a movie about Jedi Knights flying around in a Millennium Falcon assisted by droids.  Droid is a word that George Lucas coined for Star Wars.  The word didn't exist before he used it.  Why wouldn't he protect the use of a word he created.

I feel different about trademarking Nazi or something like that.

BTW,  I have no idea what this Droid product in the commercial is.
"My Wife, I Think I'll Keep Her." The only commercial so bad Someone wrote a song about it.
Captain Pipcard View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Pipcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 2:24am
Originally posted by EdReed EdReed wrote:

Droid is trademarked by Lucasfilm.  Mutant is trademarked by Marvel.  Super Hero is jointly owned by Marvel and DC Comics.  It's only natural for companies to trademark concepts that their products are based on.  Without this protection, Lucasfilm would have no power if someone wanted to make a movie about Jedi Knights flying around in a Millennium Falcon assisted by droids.  Droid is a word that George Lucas coined for Star Wars.  The word didn't exist before he used it.  Why wouldn't he protect the use of a word he created.

I feel different about trademarking Nazi or something like that.

BTW,  I have no idea what this Droid product in the commercial is.

At first, I thought Droid was some kind of PC or a processor for a PC. It's actually a cellphone (competitor to the iPhone).

The Nazi trademark is a myth, though.
We have the power of imagination.
fishingmachine View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 2:47am
although i loathe apple products and encourage any of their competitors i wish at least half of this commercial would be spent telling you what it does. not just stupid noises and a linkn to a website that im never going to. this is a retarded trend and needs to die. if you are going to pay for ad time at least let the people have an idea of what the hell you are selling
pfmiller View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 2:54am
They did spend at least half the ad telling you what it does:

It has a real keyboard
It runs simultaneous apps
It takes 5 megapixel pictures
It's customizable
It runs widgets
It allows open development
It has a flash
It has interchangeable batteries

How'd you miss that part?
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickhamilton620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 4:11am
Originally posted by fishingmachine fishingmachine wrote:

although i loathe apple products and encourage any of their competitors i wish at least half of this commercial would be spent telling you what it does. not just stupid noises and a linkn to a website that im never going to. this is a retarded trend and needs to die. if you are going to pay for ad time at least let the people have an idea of what the hell you are selling

It's a teaser definetly aimed at the more technical set. "Open development", "Multitasking"
EdReed View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EdReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 7:46am

The Nazi trademark is a myth, though.

I didn't think this sounded right.

I also assume from the list of what it does and doesn't do that it's a phone.
"My Wife, I Think I'll Keep Her." The only commercial so bad Someone wrote a song about it.
Local_Avail View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Local_Avail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 1:01pm
Yes, it's a phone.
It's made by Motorola.
It's for Verizon.
It's called Droid and apparently has some kind of movie tie-in.
Confusingly, the operating system Droid will run is called Android.
My phone already does more than iNeed it to, so iWon't be upgrading to a Droid.
Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life
pfmiller View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 7:24pm
It actually looks like a really nice phone. I'm looking for a new phone right now and I'd get it in a minute if it wasn't only available on Verizon.
fishingmachine View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2009 at 11:10am
i guess it could have been a pda or a phone, in my defense i had a few when i wrote that one and also thought i was in the commercials i hate board. not that thats much of a defense against stupidity though
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 4:52pm
Article about the Droid on Gizmodo
Look like it has some Star-Wars themed packaging which would explain the "Lucasfilm" fine print.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 4:52pm
Attack of the Show gave it 4 out of 5 on their GadgetPron feature and they are very stingy with their ratings. They loved it. Two complaints, no multitouch and the flip out qwerty pad is crowded and wastes space with a D pad that is moot when you can do the same thing on the touch screen. But other than that is is substantial. It packs a lot in and does well in comparison with most in its class (ha, "most")
retails for 200 right now.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2009 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by rickhamilton620 rickhamilton620 wrote:

I'm in love with this ad! I'm kinda a cell phone nerd,Embarrassed, and this hit on almost every reason why I'm not an iPhone fan. The music's not bad either. And yes, the Motorola Droid is one of several Google Android powered phones coming to Verizon soon. Makes my decision to leave and go to T-Mobile that much harder, as this along with the HTC Imagio seem to be making Verizon's smartphone lineup look way better than before.Confused

The music's not bad?! "Oh!-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, it's magic!" Totally off key and annoying as hell. I HATE THIS FUKING AD!!
One man gathers what another man spills
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 12:29am
iDon't think I've really figured out what the FU*K this is all about...and why should I care.. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
unhappytobehere View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unhappytobehere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 2:29am
i was going to post "iDon't give a f**k about this product," but looks like somebody already beat me to it. i shouldn't be too surprised, though, this ad was asking for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic