Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Supermarket from Hell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 7:31am
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

Originally posted by musicman musicman wrote:

This is just another, the wife is the warden commercials with a dumb guy as the star.

I disagree, MM.  It looks more like he's been trying to hide his "other life" from her.  He didn't tell her he's bought a boat and an RV?!

Yes, I know, that's my point.  Another commercial where the guy is so afraid of his wife that he feels he has to hide his decisions from her.  Not like he's, "I'm buying a boat and motorcycle, deal with it."

Wow, so the guy should be able to spend that of money without letting his partner know? 
Not sure how you drew that conclusion from what I said.

And, what, pay storage costs as well, so that she never finds out?  So, what, he lies about where he's going when he takes a trip in his RV or on his boat?

If I lied this much, I'd be afraid to be found out, too!

I'd be surprised if the ad writers considered all of this when they gave birth to this commercial.

Faith, please read what I write more carefully. 

What bothers me is that they make the guy in the commercial act like he has to hide it from his wife so he won't get in trouble.
In my house I let my wife know openly what I want to do before I do it.  I am not afraid of her.  This is my point.
Sponsored Links

msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 7:40am
Its a good thing that your not afraid of your wife.  That is an awful lot of crap to have bought without her knowing about it.  When you think about it, how would she have not known that he bought all of that stuff?  If they have enough money to where she didn't notice, then who cares.  They obviously have money to burn.  Anyhow, I am not a fan of all the overbearing wife commercials.  Are women really this bitchy?  I heard some girls at work talking the other day about their husbands/boyfriends, and they were discussing all of the things that were going to change.  Namely, all the things HE was going to change about himself.  What happend to choosing someone for who they are instead of who you can turn them into?  NO sir, I don't like it.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 7:46am
Exactly msdeli.  The guy is not only afraid of his wife, but he is also sneaky.

I'm not saying that I disregard my wife's opinions either.  We both try to take in to consideration what is best for both of us.

smokefilledlungs View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokefilledlungs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 2:29pm

This is just another, the wife is the warden commercials with a dumb guy as the star.

I disagree, MM.  It looks more like he's been trying to hide his "other life" from her.  He didn't tell her he's bought a boat and an RV?!

Lmao, how do you hide a boat and RV. ?
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Better than watching hairy cavemen on the Geico ads.Dead Notice how Flo and Vonage girl have the same hairdoo.

Ironically,  Stephanie Courtney  aka Flo played Diane in the Geico ad inspired sitcom, Cavemen
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 8:38pm

Yes, I know, that's my point.  Another commercial where the guy is so afraid of his wife that he feels he has to hide his decisions from her.  Not like he's, "I'm buying a boat and motorcycle, deal with it."

Wow, so the guy should be able to spend that of money without letting his partner know? 

And, what, pay storage costs as well, so that she never finds out?  So, what, he lies about where he's going when he takes a trip in his RV or on his boat?

I'd be surprised if the ad writers considered all of this when they gave birth to this commercial.

What bothers me is that they make the guy in the commercial act like he has to hide it from his wife so he won't get in trouble.
In my house I let my wife know openly what I want to do before I do it.  I am not afraid of her.  This is my point.

I read it again, MM.  I don't agree with you that the wife is the warden.  I don't see that at all.  I see a guy who, for whatever reason, bought all these things and didn't bother to tell her, as you say, "before [you] do it," or even after.  There is no basis, in this commercial at least, for him to be afraid of her.  Unless I'm missing something, which is possible, because half the time I'm not actually watching, but rather, hearing the commercial.  MY take on it is that he's bought all these things and not told her.  I don't see any reason for him to be afraid of her, other than he's bought these very expensive things without her knowledge.

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 8:47pm

I read it again, MM.  I don't agree with you that the wife is the warden.  I don't see that at all.  I see a guy who, for whatever reason, bought all these things and didn't bother to tell her, as you say, "before [you] do it," or even after.  There is no basis, in this commercial at least, for him to be afraid of her.  Unless I'm missing something, which is possible, because half the time I'm not actually watching, but rather, hearing the commercial.  MY take on it is that he's bought all these things and not told her.  I don't see any reason for him to be afraid of her, other than he's bought these very expensive things without her knowledge.

It is interesting to me that you are so adamant about your point of view when you yourself said that you have barely even seen it.

In the commercial the wife says, what we don't have these.  The guy doesn't turn to his wife and say, yes we do, I bought them.  No, he gets this childish guilty look on his face, then Flo says Surprise!

The reason I say that he is afraid of her is that he didn't tell her that he bought the stuff.  The only reason I can think of that he wouldn't tell her is that he is afraid that she won't give him permission. 

Come on Faith, you know that is the way 99.9% of commercials are written. 

The dumb guy needs the permission and approval of his ultra smart by comparison wife. 

Of course, this is a "Madison Ave" delusion of the real world.

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 8:59pm
That may be the way 99.9% of the commercials are written.  I just don't see it in this one. *I* see it as the guy being a jerk or an idiot, or maybe both.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 9:22pm

That may be the way 99.9% of the commercials are written.  I just don't see it in this one. *I* see it as the guy being a jerk or an idiot, or maybe both.

Ok, Ok,  *You* don't see it.  My work is done then. LOL

As the saying goes, no sense in beating a dead horse. Wink

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2008 at 7:45am
I agree, MM.  I was going to use the dead horse reference in my next post! 
larrysmile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrysmile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 12:12pm
HelloHello

Ha, Ha!

So, the Progressive Insurance Commercials get to people! That is just what they are designed to do. A truly great commercial has the purpose of making the view #1 Remember the product being sold; #2 Causing the viewer to discuss the product with their family and friends; #3 Serve as an entertainment value - often with a sense of humor.

The actress who plays "Flo" is named Stephanie Courtney. She has appeared in 29 movies and television productions and is also a stage actress and stand up comedianne.

She is listed in the Internet Movie Database and her mini-biography is:

Biography for
Stephanie Courtney More at IMDb Pro »

Date of Birth
8 February 1970, Stony Point, New York, USA

Mini Biography
Stephanie Courtney is main company member of the famed Groundlings Theater in Los Angeles, regularly performing in their sketch and improv shows. She hails from Stony Point, New York. After graduating from the Neighborhood Playhouse in New York City, she started doing stand up, which brought her to Los Angeles. She's been invited to perform her stand up at the Aspen Comedy Festival twice. She also performed in Aspen in "Those Courtney Girls", a show she co-wrote with her sister, Jennifer, and in the Mr. Show Tour, "Hooray for America".

IMDb Mini Biography By: Billy Courtney

The success of the Progressive Insurance ad campaign using "Flo" as an over enthausiastic sales check out girl who is thrilled to be a customer service employee shows the comedic nature of the ad campaign. No one is really that "happy" to be working at a job like that. But, that is what Progressive wants the next customer to believe that there are company employees who are just so happy to help them that you and I will buy all kinds of insurance from them.

If you Google Stephanie's actual photos one might find that she is an attractive - pretty woman of 38 years old.

Now, along side of the Progressive Insurance Commercials is another ad campaign that is both annoying until their ad executives came up with the J.G. Wentworth OPERA commercial.

Many of us do not receive annnuity payments and the purpose of J.G. Wentworth is to buy out your annuity for about 25% on the dollar. Then, they are assigned the annuity and recover the payments over the long term. Up until somone had the brilliant idea of staging the commercial as a real live stage opera most of the J.G. Wentworth spots were annoying and boring.

Now, by hiring real opera singers and dressing them up in Viking costumes and having them sing the company's mantra as an opera, we are entertained and the message of the company transfers to us in a pleasant pill form to take.

Why can I say this? Because using musical lyrics the song become memorable even though one may not "need" their services. In case you have not heard this commercial - the opera goes like this!

"I have a long term settlement and I need cash now.
Call J. G. Wentworth 877 - CASH NOW.
I have an annuity but I need cash now.
Call J. G. Wentworth 877 - CASH NOW.
They've helped thousands - they'll help you too.
One lump sum payment they will pay to you.
If you need lump sum payments and you need cash now.
Call J.G. Wentworth 877 - CASH NOW.
[Chorus] 877 - CASH NOW.
[Professional Actor who represents J.G. Wentworth]
It's your money - get it when you need it!
[Chorus] Call J.G. Wentworth, 877 - CASH NOW
[Timpani drums to the 8 count]
[Chorus] 877 - CASH NOW"

Now you see? A truly effective commercial gets one to remember the product, repeat the product's message to others, and has entertainment value to keep you from goint to the refrigerator for a snack when the commercial comes on.

The young singing Canadian actor for the "freecreditreport.com" commercials campaign has some bummer commercials assigned to him to sign about like a traveling troubadour. The first one in the "Long John Silver's Type Restaurant" is the best one that the ad campaign people came up with with the last line of the song: "selling fish to tourists in tee shirts."

I don't know exactly "WHAT" his bad credit wife in the basement of her parent's house throws down at him as he returns to do the laundry the he and his 2 buds are playing music in the basement. It looks like a round toilet seat? Whe moves so fast and the camera does not do a good job letting the viewer know what the joke is.

The one where he is riding the bicycle around the park is an attempt to appeal to folks who exercise and enjoy saving trees. It doesn't transfer the message that he needs to check his credit for what purpose.

The one where he can only afford a junker car and the 3 babes in the convertible laugh at him and his two buds riding in the car is about a 7 out of 10. This young actor sings well and relates to the young crowd that the "freecreditreport.com" people can get to sign up to pay them $19.95 a month fees to monitor their credit.

Billy May's commercials are not necessarily annoying and he is getting to be a busy pitchman.

If you suffer with diabetes you should pay close attention to veteran character actor Wilford Brimley's commercials for Liberty! They transfer an important message if one is on Medicare and needs diabetic supplies.

People should steer a wide birth from Robert Wagner pitching "reverse mortgages."   Anything that appears to be too good to believe -- usually is too good to believe. Beware here!

Larry in Illinois

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by larrysmile larrysmile wrote:

Now you see? A truly effective commercial gets one to remember the product, repeat the product's message to others, and has entertainment value to keep you from goint to the refrigerator for a snack when the commercial comes on.

Effective? I got to disagree. Isn't the point of a commercial to get me to BUY their product, or at least spark interest that might lead to buying the product? THAT to me is what makes an effective commercial. Making me remember it and repeat it aren't marks for effectiveness, since most of us here come to vent about hating the commercials. I can't speak for everyone on the forum, but I don't buy the things I complain about here. When I "spread the message to others", it's a message of hate, not a message of "hey we should all buy this". I hate the term "there is no such thing has bad publicity", because there is. I don't like being insulted with a bad commercial to get me to remember it, JUST because it was bad or irritating. Why couldn't they just make a GOOD memorable commercial instead? I guess that's too hard, its easier to piss people off.

Perfect example, the infamous Mentos gum commercial. They made it so out there, annoying, and gross that they ended up editing it because people were that upset with it. I doubt it was "effective" because it most likely grossed enough people out of buying the gum. A case where in your terms it was "effective" and in my terms it wasn't.

Originally posted by larrysmile larrysmile wrote:

The one where he can only afford a junker car and the 3 babes in the convertible laugh at him and his two buds riding in the car is about a 7 out of 10.  This young actor sings well and relates to the young crowd

That could be true....if he was the one actually singing LOL

pcgh View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Effective? I got to disagree. Isn't the point of a commercial to get me to BUY their product, or at least spark interest that might lead to buying the product? THAT to me is what makes an effective commercial. Making me remember it and repeat it aren't marks for effectiveness, since most of us here come to vent about hating the commercials. I can't speak for everyone on the forum, but I don't buy the things I complain about here. When I "spread the message to others", it's a message of hate, not a message of "hey we should all buy this". I hate the term "there is no such thing has bad publicity", because there is. I don't like being insulted with a bad commercial to get me to remember it, JUST because it was bad or irritating. Why couldn't they just make a GOOD memorable commercial instead? I guess that's too hard, its easier to piss people off.

Ugh... suddenly I just recalled the infamous Quizno's singing Mr. Potato Head Road Kill Rats from a few years ago. Definitely had people talking, but mostly what people were saying was, "WTF?!"
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 8:53pm
I'm very sorry but an ad I have to wrap my brain around, in order to like, ISN'T an effective ad, IN FACT it translates to me as just noise, and since there's so many freaking ads every commercial break it ends up being static. The funny routine, worn out years ago, the shock routine wore out years ago, the trying to appeal to people with the times routine wore out years ago,the let's puzzle the viewer just to get his attention routine, wore out years ago, the let's just annoy the f**k out of them routine wore out years ago, the pump the volume to blow the viewers eardrums out routine, wore out years ago. IT'S NOT WORKING. Get to the damn point in the ads why I should use your damn services or buy your product or face the wrath of the mute button.

Also another thing it doesn't help that a lot of ads lie, use deceit, or plain make sh*t up to support their products. Don't try to fool me with your logical fallacies.

One more thing PLEASE stop trying to depict advertising as an art form, IT ISN'T art requires you to THINK on an intellectual level, advertising tries to persuade the viewer into buying something through simplistic, dumbed down,primitive techniques. Ones that have worn off on me.

So please don't lump them together, they're completely different.

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2008 at 1:33pm
I have to agree with Ad nauseous's views on commercials.  If I hate a commercial enough to complain about it on a forum like this, I will NOT be buying the product, and any repeating of the product's message to others will be in a VERY negative light.
pantrax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pantrax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 8:13pm
Yes, yes, but you will have noticed it. I've decided that people writing ads these days are often much like badly-behaved children—all they want is your attention. Good attention, bad attention, doesn't matter. It's the fact that they have it. I honestly don't think they can see beyond getting the attention.

And yeah, I agree the RV guy's up to something. I think the idea behind this is that his wife's come to look over his shoulder just when he's buying the insurance. That's why he says "Well, actually, I do own...WE do."

What he's not mentioning is he's got a honey taking care of the boat while she lives in the RV and rides around on the motorcycle.

Yes, I do back stories for bad commercials. My 'favorite' is one of the odious Enterprise Car Rental commercials. Y'know, the one where the three floozies come out as one says 'Let's go, girls!" The entire sentence is "Let's go, girls! The Fleet's in!"

ShamWow! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamWow! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 2:04am
I don't know if anyone's seen it yet, but now there is a new Progressive ad with "Flo" in it, this time, she appears to be a clerk in a hotel, and those big carts they use at hotels to carry away peoples luggage instead carried a car. The guy at the end asks "Can I see that again?" after a little performance or something was put on with the carts and a few other guys pushing them. I find it pretty more annoying than the others (which I only found mildly annoying, there's a weird tune that plays in the background).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic