Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

J.G. Wentworth opera commercial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J.G. Wentworth opera commercial
    Posted: 14 May 2008 at 3:22pm
A new incredibly annoying commercial from J.G. Wentworth.  Nobody likes opera, so lets do a commercial with it.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 5:26pm
Can you believe that the spokesman is none other than (Stage Name) Orson Bean...anyone remember him with the likes of Allen Ludden, Betty White, Bill Cullen and Kitty Carlysle on shows like "What's My Line", "To Tell the Truth"....
and, well heck! Here's some trivia...
 The newborn (Real Name) Dallas Burroughs was a second cousin to Calvin Coolidge, who was President of the United States at the time of his birth.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Can you believe that the spokesman is none other than Orson Bean...anyone remember him with Bill Cullen and Kitty Carlysle on "What's My Line"?

Pa, wasn't that "To Tell the Truth?" 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 5:35pm
You're simply too fast for me, Hooty!
(I KNEW the moment I posted I was busted)

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 5:44pm
Post removed at user's request.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 5:45pm
Actually Pa, I wasn't 100% sure so I just checked his IMDB record...he was on both, plus "I've Got A Secret."  I guess he was the perfect guest panelist.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 5:48pm
That's where I got most of my information...the moment I saw the show listings it all came flooding back (I really liked both 'To Tell The Truth' and 'What's My Line')...
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by msmith msmith wrote:

A new incredibly annoying commercial from J.G. Wentworth.  Nobody likes opera, so lets do a commercial with it.

I haven't seen the commercial - which DOES indeed sound stupid, but, um, well, uh, I LIKE opera!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 6:35pm

oh hey...Thanks, Madawee! Guess I took the discussion off-track and over the cliff...I can't believe they actually made ANOTHER J.G.W. commercial; have seen it, but I'm really hoping Orson Bean isn't SINGING about "...it's YOUR cash - use it when YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU need it!"

(it isn't over 'till the annoying spokesman sings...)
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 7:12pm
Post removed at user's request.
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by msmith msmith wrote:

Nobody likes opera, so lets do a commercial with it.

Hmmmm, sorry to tell you this - but a lot of people like Opera.  Just no cares for the stupid commercial
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 11:54pm
Maybe it's just me, but does this ad seem longer than the other ones?? MAybe it's just because they keep screaming at me about that f**king phone number!!! I hope a bird flies down all their throats and sh*ts in their voice boxes!!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 1:16am
Another "autoflip" commercial. Here's what the commercial really says - "It's your money, and WE want it now!"
IHaveStandards View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IHaveStandards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 1:45am
Opera is to music what purgatory is to theology.

That said...in contrast to Wentworth's repetitive screaming commercials, this actually isn't that bad IMHO. The only truly bad part is ol' J. G. getting his five seconds of facetime as the conductor.

A lifetime ban from television is in order for him.

Mommacita View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mommacita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 5:35pm
I just heard this commercial a few minutes ago, did a search, and lo- and behold, here we all are.   I can not believe someone thought up this concept for a commercial, presented it, and other people said "What a great idea!"  I seriously turn the channel when I hear it begin.
Malcolm Reynolds View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Malcolm Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 9:07pm
I'll take the opera one over that IT'S MY MONEY, AND I NEED IT NOW repeated ad-nauseum.  Emphasis on nausea.
"If you make your software idiot proof, nature will make a better idiot."
-Me
Ecsa0014 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecsa0014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:13am

It seems like this commercial is shown at least a dozen times a day. I literally want to throw my remote through my TV every time it is shown. I have turned the channel on many occasions because of this commercial.

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 4:35am
I own a structured annuity and I need cash now

Call JG Went-worth 877 CASH NOW

damn it's catchy!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
bunnyhead View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Bannned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bunnyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 5:06pm
I have hated all JG Wentworth commercials ever since they started showing them 10+ years ago.  I was always struck by the annoyance level of Mr. Wentworth's voice.  Why don't they pay someone else to do these commercials?  Why would this asshat do his own commercials with that annoying voice?  "I'm JG Wentworth and I sound like some old a-hole's butler."
EMCEE View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Malcolm Reynolds Malcolm Reynolds wrote:

I'll take the opera one over that IT'S MY MONEY, AND I NEED IT NOW repeated ad-nauseum.  Emphasis on nausea.

Either one makes me wanna punch Wentworth in the balls.  HARD.
Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

- Mark Twain

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 9:31pm
This commercial really blows!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Freak Speely View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freak Speely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 12:22am
I thought they couldn't do worse than the people screaming out of their windows. How wrong I was...Unhappy
bjohnson377 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjohnson377 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2010 at 2:13am
i have come so close to using my 45 on the tv when this comes on, someday i WILL pull the trigger on jgw
Hate them all
Original Cyn View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Original Cyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 8:03pm
Each time I see this stupid ad, all I can think is, "would you really trust your $$$ to a company called J. G. Went-Worth?" I sit there and imagine that the J.G. stands for "Just Gone," and my "worth" has "went" for lack of better grammar.
"Well-behaved women rarely make history." ~~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 7:36pm
Reviving a really old thread here, but this commercial is still annoying years later.

Oh, and that's not Orson Bean driving the bus.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic