Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parents Television Council

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parents Television Council
    Posted: 27 Sep 2009 at 11:39pm
If you read my "Religious channels" rant, I think you knew this was coming. I am going to rant about the PTC (Parents Television Council) and the reasons why they suck. Let's get the show on the road.....

REASON 1: If you remember the controversial South Park episode "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson", the PTC basically wanted African-Americans to protest. However, the problem was, African-Americans didn't take it seriously. In fact, a African-American rights group praised the episode because of it's moral (how it feels to be called the N word). But the PTC really was infuriated and demanded protests. But still, no black gave a jack sh*t about the episode or the PTC's demands. So basically, the PTC doesn't respect anyone's opinion except their opinion.

REASON 2: They rate good shows badly. This gives good shows such as Family Guy, Friends, etc. a bad reputation. Really, these shows are entertaining and almost all the shows they endorse suck. Including many reality shows. But do they expect people to watch reality shows?

REASON 3: Their trying to ruin TV. They want to put "kid-friendly" shows and replace the actual good shows. They praise Disney Channel for being "kid-friendly". But seriously, who watches it now-a-days? At least they are trying to target MTV, which sucks.

REASON 4: They say inappropriate shows are targeted at children. First of all, WTF? With all their bullsh*t their saying, this is the worst. Second, if you don't want you're kids watching stuff like this, then don't let them. It's as simple as that! And that ends my rant on the PTC. So spread the word on Facebook or MySpace or Twitter or whatever.       
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
Sponsored Links

Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 12:01am
They actually think Dexter on SOWTIME is targeted at KIDS...Angry
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 2:08am
I tried to touch base with them, as I wanted to get involved and support them on some of their issues, such as Cable A La Carte and having Commercials "V-Chip" Rated. Unfortunately they NEVER answered any of my E-Mails, and my attempts to call some of their Reps only got me into their "Phone Mail Jail".

IMO they are only a bunch of "Slacktivists".Dead
Poiuyt Power!!!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Asnotseenontv Asnotseenontv wrote:

I thought it was targeted towards piglets, not kids.
TWCFan View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWCFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 7:01am

Some parents might confuse that show for Dexter's Laboratory, a cartoon from the 1990's.
toregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 3:23am
Originally posted by TWCFan TWCFan wrote:

Some parents might confuse that show for Dexter's Laboratory, a cartoon from the 1990's.
         That seems highly unlikely since they have different titles, different channels that have no relationship with each other, and since one of them is a cartoon I think anybody would figure it out before the show even starts.
         These parents sound like lazy people who would rather ruin television for everybody then tell their children what shows they can't watch.
bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 11:45am
Originally posted by toregon toregon wrote:

Originally posted by TWCFan TWCFan wrote:

That seems highly unlikely since they have different titles, different channels that have no relationship with each other, and since one of them is a cartoon I think anybody would figure it out before the show even starts.
         These parents sound like lazy people who would rather ruin television for everybody then tell their children what shows they can't watch.

I did some research, and I found out that the PTC's mission is to make sure that the only things on television are boring, such as stuff like "Little House," etc. I don't deny that "LHOTP" was a treasured classic (and two of my brothers enjoy it, for which I do not fault them), but to me it is boring because, for one reason, it is set out in the middle of nowhere in the 1800's.

Question: if the PTC does not like much of what today's fare is (and yet a lot of adults do), why do they act as if children are oftentimes exposed to it, at times when some of these same children are usually in bed?

I used to stand with the PTC over "Friends," "2 1/2," etc., but then I realized that there are those who enjoy those comedies, and similar shows too, so I try not to be as harsh. The PTC is not that way, however-- even when children are not looking at offensive stuff, they try to keep adults from looking at it because 'we have to protect the children.' Please! Get real! I don't need the PTC-- it's of my own volition that I avoid a lot of today's fare, and limit myself to DVDs of long-past series.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 3:12pm
While I agree with the PTC that television has become incredibly crude, I don't agree with their attempts to ban the offending shows.  If a show is deemed unfit for kids and teens, the parents should prevent them from watching it.  It should not be my problem.  And while I understand that parents nowadays cannot monitor their kids 100% of the time, once again, that should not be my problem either.

I see that the PTC is kind of addressing that problem, though, and is advocating for the right to select the individual cable channels that come into one's home.

TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

While I agree with the PTC that television has become incredibly crude, I don't agree with their attempts to ban the offending shows.  If a show is deemed unfit for kids and teens, the parents should prevent them from watching it.  It should not be my problem.  And while I understand that parents nowadays cannot monitor their kids 100% of the time, once again, that should not be my problem either.

I see that the PTC is kind of addressing that problem, though, and is advocating for the right to select the individual cable channels that come into one's home.

Wait a second, couldn't parents just block the shows they don't want their kids watching?
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 1:12am
Apparently, the PTC is unhappy with the V-chip.  Here's an article.  I didn't read it myself, as I'm not particularly interested in their complaints.

Cornholio View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornholio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 5:36am
The PTC, PMRC, Tipper Gore, Brent Bozell, whoever can all eat me.   I'll never support any of these fascist bastards or any of their causes.
gabba gabba hey!
TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2009 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Apparently, the PTC is unhappy with the V-chip.  Here's an article.  I didn't read it myself, as I'm not particularly interested in their complaints.

Oh f***! I think they are beyond North Korean evil!
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
LOT Tu-134 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOT Tu-134 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 10:57pm
As a Video Gamer who regularly keeps up on Gamepolitics.com, I from time to time read up on the dribble and one sided (and flawed) studies that the PTC does.

They truly are not the brightest bulb in the group of parallel arranged sockets. Grand Theft Auto is not appropriate for younger Children? Gee! You don't say, I suppose that is why the Industry run ESRB gave it an "M" rating as opposed to erm, let's say an "E" or an "Ec" rating? Of course, we are talking the the group of "parents" who are interested in removing all responsibility for taking care of their own children by taking responsibility for everyone else.  Afterall, how fun would parenting be if parents had to actually MAKE decisions for their kids. Angry
TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2009 at 5:49am
Originally posted by LOT Tu-134 LOT Tu-134 wrote:

As a Video Gamer who regularly keeps up on Gamepolitics.com, I from time to time read up on the dribble and one sided (and flawed) studies that the PTC does. They truly are not the brightest bulb in the group of parallel arranged sockets. Grand Theft Auto is not appropriate for younger Children? Gee! You don't say, I suppose that is why the Industry run ESRB gave it an "M" rating as opposed to erm, let's say an "E" or an "Ec" rating? Of course, we are talking the the group of "parents" who are interested in removing all responsibility for taking care of their own children by taking responsibility for everyone else.  Afterall, how fun would parenting be if parents had to actually MAKE decisions for their kids. Angry

Agreed. If you don't want your kids watching or playing or doing something, don't let them! Why do parents have to be lazy or take it to the extreme?
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
Dreamstalker View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamstalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2009 at 11:40pm
I'd support a la carte TV (I and many others I've talked to would be willing to pay a bit more per-channel if it guaranteed we would only get the stuff we actually watch), but PTC needs to keep their nose out of it.  If there are kids in a household, fine, V-chip stuff (or...parents actually be involved with their kids and don't let them watch just anything), but if a household only consists of adults then let us decide for ourselves what the hell we want to watch!
bmasters9 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmasters9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2009 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Dreamstalker Dreamstalker wrote:

I'd support a la carte TV (I and many others I've talked to would be willing to pay a bit more per-channel if it guaranteed we would only get the stuff we actually watch), but PTC needs to keep their nose out of it.  If there are kids in a household, fine, V-chip stuff (or...parents actually be involved with their kids and don't let them watch just anything), but if a household only consists of adults then let us decide for ourselves what the hell we want to watch!

Based on what I've read concerning the Parents Television Council, I have come to this opinion: that they are Puritans in parents' clothing, or more to the point, they are hard-line Puritans disguising as concerned parents.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2009 at 8:30am
I got a kick out of how a couple years back, Gossip Girl took the posted statements made by the PTC and used them as taglines for their promos. Including the name Parent Television Council as the originators of the quotes.
Their ratings skyrocketed.
While I generally don't subscribe to the "no such thing as bad publicity" statement, I think there was some of that here. Or more like publicity backfiring
Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 11:34pm
I initially agree with the PTC about the fact that television shows do get somewhat excessive in portrayal of violence, but I do not want anything banned. Just as extreme Christians should have the choice to watch all religious channels should they choose to do so, normal people should have the choice to watch whatever they want.
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2009 at 11:56pm
Isn't PTC the group that called Sesame Street Old School DVDs unfit for today's kids?
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 2:38am
Originally posted by 70s80s 70s80s wrote:

Isn't PTC the group that called Sesame Street Old School DVDs unfit for today's kids?

When Sesame Street first came on in 1969 there was a group of parents who demanded they get rid of the Cookie Monster. My Local Newspaper did an Editorial Cartoon about this. A Mother turns on the TV so her child can watch the show. The Next Panel shows the Cookie Monster doing a skit. "Round Cookie! Square Cookie!, Gimme Cookie! Gimme Cookie!" The Next panal has Big Bird doing a "123-ABC" skit, then the show ends. The Mother then asks her kid what did he learn. The kid goes "Gimme Cookie! Gimme Cookie!"LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic