Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

White, Male and Over The Limit. Under Arrest.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonein30seconds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 3:59am
point taken.

the thing that really sucks about all this is, the concept here is pretty damn cool. portraying drunk drivers driving around in cars filled with alcohol, sloshing around, that's original and awesome. actually makes them look pretty pathetic too, which could help get a few more off the road. if only all people could have the opportunity to drive around in that beer-filled car. that's the american way right? :/
Sponsored Links

timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 2:56pm
But how can anyone ride a motorcycle with a helmet full of beer?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 3:20pm
They gotta wear these!
HD%20VISION%20SUNGLASSES%20-%20HD%20VISION%20AS%20SEEN%20ON%20TV%20BUY%201%20GET%201%20FREE%20&%20FREE%20Visor%20Clip%20Sunglass%20Holder<<<---shown in 'F.O.S. brown'
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 9:06pm
I just hate the commercial no matter what.

Who the f**k drives around with beer in their car? And I don't mean in the cans, bottles, or kegs either!
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 9:43pm
But it's so funny!
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 10:09pm
Ok we get it Syn, you think it's funny, this is the 4th post you've mentioned that in. If you love it then go make a thread about it in "commercial talk".
NickiDrea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickiDrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 2:44am
With all due respect, I am a public defender in Philadelphia, where probably 60-70%of the people we represent in general are black.  However, out of my DUI clients, probably 75-80% are white males... and I am not exaggerating.  It's no different than saying that probably 90% of my clients arrested for marijuana possession are black males in their late teens/early 20's- that's true too. I'm not saying that only white males commit DUI, but at least in Philly, they face DUI charges at a much higher rate.  I have literally represents hundreds and hundreds of defendants and it's still true. 

And anyway, there have been a lot of racist commercials against black people as well... black women are often neck-snapping, jive-talking and obnoxious and black  men are often dancing and singing like some old-time minstrel show.  See McDonald's and Oscar Mayer commercials for proof.  A few years ago on this site I had the post of the week talking about racism in the Oscar Mayer commercials.  They don't show them anymore though.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 3:54am
Yeah, the stereotyping in McDonald's commercials drives me up a tree.
Especially as someone black.
Without hurting me,
BDrums1971 View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 5:42am
Stereotyping/racism is seen all the time in commercials or tv shows. Against most all cultures/races.

I think the problem is that we have all become SOOOOO sensitive towards racism aimed mainly at black people. I think the general mindset was "hey, blacks were discriminated against for so long, let's go a little crazy and scrutinize anything that remotely smells like racism".

Unfortunately, thanks in part to people like Al Sharpton, white people are SICK TO DEATH of all this walking on eggshells. Hell, we feel we can't even disagree with a black person for fear of being called racist.

So, in a way, white folks have had enough of that mentality and are now demanding equal (as it should be) racist rights (as it were). Some black people are so used to playing the "race card" that this is frustrating them. There should be no "race card" anymore. White people OR black people should not be discriminated against. We should all be held equally accountable in that respect.

Yes, racism will always be around in some form or other, but, just as black people have been cracking down on racism toward them for years, it should be just as politically correct for white people to start getting upset and crack down on racism towards them.

I know this has gotten really off topic from the commercial, and I'm sorry. I just wanted to clarify my viewpoint.
BDrums1971 View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 5:51am
Originally posted by NickiDrea NickiDrea wrote:

With all due respect, I am a public defender in Philadelphia, where probably 60-70%of the people we represent in general are black.  However, out of my DUI clients, probably 75-80% are white males... and I am not exaggerating.  It's no different than saying that probably 90% of my clients arrested for marijuana possession are black males in their late teens/early 20's- that's true too. I'm not saying that only white males commit DUI, but at least in Philly, they face DUI charges at a much higher rate.  I have literally represents hundreds and hundreds of defendants and it's still true. 

And anyway, there have been a lot of racist commercials against black people as well... black women are often neck-snapping, jive-talking and obnoxious and black  men are often dancing and singing like some old-time minstrel show.  See McDonald's and Oscar Mayer commercials for proof.  A few years ago on this site I had the post of the week talking about racism in the Oscar Mayer commercials.  They don't show them anymore though.

I believe you!! I doesn't surprise me at all that more dui offenders are white.

Here is a question though. If what you said is true, and most of the marijuana offenders are black, what do you think would happen if there was an anti drug tv commercial shown with all black people being shown using marijuana. Do you think Al Sharpton would be upset and all over CNN crying racism (even tho the statistics show most people arrested for marijuana possession are black (at least in Philly))?
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 6:08am
I doubt he would. There's already commercials with black folks in them about not doing drugs....

Like this one ad with some guy and his little brother. Al Sharpton is probably too busy getting annoyed over Obama = Hitler comparisons or something like that.
But I think that's a bit of an exaggeration to say that if there was an anti-drug ad with black people in it, Al Sharpton would blow his top and there'd be cries of racism...
Not to mention there's probably ads like that often on BET or at least go get tested ads and he's not screaming about those.
Without hurting me,
erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2009 at 7:58am
Pretty small sample size to be criticizing the lack of diversity don't you think?  The 3 examples they provided were white males so they must think that only white males drive drunk right?

Being a white male, I didn't feel offended at all by this commercial.
ginlyn35 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginlyn35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2009 at 4:42am
The whole race issue aside (yes...it is racist. White people are not the only ones who drink and drive), I wish they would show how little alcohol consumption it takes to reach the limit.

The limit is .08%. That is not very much. I don't drink that often and when I do it's at home. Partly because I don't feel like paying $5.00 for a beer, the other reason? Don't want to get pulled over!

It's not worth it in my book.

In my area, people are more likely to get stopped for drugs than DUI.

ginlyn
Perun1nj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perun1nj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 2:09pm
Hahaha, this thread is funny.

What if their were an "anti inner city gang violence" commercial with a bunch of "wiggers" representing the gangs? I bet nobody would complain. (BTW wiggers are white people who try to act black) but i'd laugh my ass off.

It seems like since most people in America are white; white people are the only race that isn't aloud to be offended by that stuff.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by ginlyn35 ginlyn35 wrote:

The whole race issue aside (yes...it is racist. White people are not the only ones who drink and drive)...
Maybe it seems like that, but the 'w-folk' are the only ones who generally get busted for ONLY 'over the limit'. All the other 'lower life forms'? The commercials would be a tad too long - they'd have to show the 'add-on' charges;
1.) invalid license
2.) invalid registration
3.) invalid inspection
4.) improper plates
5.) improper equipment (muffler dragging on street, no tail lights)
6.) vehicle registered to another owner (who doesn't know where it is and would like it back)
7.) under-age girl in the front seat
8.) no speak Engrish 
9.) concealed weapons 
10.) improper hair - "I's havin' a baaaad hair day!"
11.) improper clothes - "WHO dresses you and lets you go OUTSIDE?!"
12.) improper odor - suspect's failure to have taken a shower within the last two weeks since the last time the same officer pulled the same suspect over
13.) ...and let's not forget the various 'controlled substances' charges
14.) failure to be smart enough to avoid ANY of the above.  
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 4:01pm

I would imagine that it's mostly white people who get busted for drunk-driving.  Hell, whites are most of the population.

But for NickiDrea's Philadelphia observation to mean anything beyond who should be represented in drunk-driving commercials, she'd have to also provide information on the number of whites who drive in Philadelphia versus the number of blacks who drive there.  Also, it could be that blacks tend to live in the more urban sections of Philly where there might be more local bars.

bamboo View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 5:23pm
Yeah this commercial makes me laugh, especially since Mexican males in pickup trucks seem to be doing all the killing down here in Houston. I watch the news on Sunday morning at it's like, hey guy, you're not in Matamoros - you can't put away 6 beers, leave the Tejano club, get in your uninsured Chevy and kill a bunch of people at 2am.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by bamboo bamboo wrote:

Yeah this commercial makes me laugh, especially since Mexican males in pickup trucks seem to be doing all the killing down here in Houston. I watch the news on Sunday morning at it's like, hey guy, you're not in Matamoros - you can't put away 6 beers, leave the Tejano club, get in your uninsured Chevy and kill a bunch of people at 2am.
Houston.
Hispanic.
Yup.
EXACTLY what you described (in whatever sense)...(about 25 years ago) picked up the wife of a friend of mine, down there in Houston - in a f'k'ng 'pizza box' - that was ALL that was left of her after being run over repeatedly, by a pick'em-up truckload of non-English-speaking, illegal 'roaches', in a primer-red Ford. 
All they got was deported.
Always bet they were back by the following Wednesday.
Sympathy for drunk drivers and illegal aliens? Sure. Between Sh*t and Syphilis, in the dictionary.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 6:57pm
Ahhh, yes.  The "Mexican males in pickup trucks".  Same here in California.  The drunk driving, the sexual assaults, and don't forget the child abduction.  I think that, at least in California, the Amber Alert system exists for those guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic