Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - lisping and other unusual speech in commercials
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lisping and other unusual speech in commercials

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwestfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lisping and other unusual speech in commercials
    Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 1:44am
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this trend for using lisping actors and/or voice overs in commercials?  The worst is a young woman who "wants to fly to paris with my new husband" (lisping) in a Realize Band (gastric bypass type surgery).  I have a local one by a mesothemiolo lawsuit and the woman has a heavy lisp, and now, Target has a voiceover with a lisp.  I don't mean to offend anyone who has a lisp, but the way they do these in the commercials they seem really fake.  The Target gets on my last nerve!

I also hate the trend of commercials where one character won't let another character finish a sentence; Fiber one cereal and Verizon/laptop computer.

Do companies really think we like listening to this?
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 1:54am
Probably not, but everyone needs a job.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PrinceJ View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrinceJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 2:48am
I really hate it when one character constantly interupts another. Really annoying.
"Even an old fart was once a breath of fresh air"
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 4:14am
Thtupid lithping in commerthals.  It thure ith annoying. LOL
It's even more grotesque when they show a kid with no front teeth lisping....  <shudders>
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 4:56am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this trend for using lisping actors and/or voice overs in commercials?  The worst is a young woman who "wants to fly to paris with my new husband" (lisping) in a Realize Band

And she appears to have Down Syndrome (not that there's....) but her face close-up is hideous--the poor dear!  How about the Mesothelioma (sp?) woman....where the ASTH-beth-TOS fell like THNOW.  Confused 

Oy.....Confused 

"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 1:52pm
...here's some 'unusual speech'...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 4:58pm
Aw...
That commercial is actually kind of sweet.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2009 at 7:44am
Originally posted by bwestfall bwestfall wrote:

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this trend for using lisping actors and/or voice overs in commercials?  The worst is a young woman who "wants to fly to paris with my new husband" (lisping) in a Realize Band (gastric bypass type surgery).  I have a local one by a mesothemiolo lawsuit and the woman has a heavy lisp, and now, Target has a voiceover with a lisp.  I don't mean to offend anyone who has a lisp, but the way they do these in the commercials they seem really fake.  The Target gets on my last nerve!

No, it's not just you!  That Target announcer really is annoying.  Does she seem unusually loud, too?  Their last voiceover guy seemed loud, too.  He was very crisp, but he enunciated so precisely, he sounded effeminate.  I think they must have had a bad response to him, and then they started using this woman.  Yuck.
BDrums1971 View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

...here's some 'unusual speech'...

Now THAT was a stupid commercial. Glad it didn't air. BTW, I have nothing against gays, just this stupid commercial. Wink
adnoxious View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adnoxious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Thtupid lithping in commerthals.  It thure ith annoying. LOL
It's even more grotesque when they show a kid with no front teeth lisping....  <shudders>

I agree that kids with speech impediments are definitely the most annoying.  Especially when they try to make them say things like an adult.  Is this supposed to be cute?

Parents- send your kid to the speech therapist not the freaking commercial audition please.

Taking aim at lousy advertising
GoMEAT85 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoMEAT85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 4:34pm
Oh, and I suppose everyone here speaks perfectly? (As perfect as your spelling. LOL)

(I'm Chanél & I approve of this message.)
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 10:20pm
Ath a mather of facth, we DO!
Kelly H View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 3:25am
I know this post is old - but today I heard two seperate commercials with women narrators who sounded like they lisp. I started thinking back to when a friend, who happens to work for a cosmetics office, had said to me that a lot of women who get lip fillers often lisp or sound nassally due to the plumped up lip pout which the fillers have made unnaturally large and blocking the ability to properly annunciate words. This makes sense because when you hear a Kardashian or some such ho with giant lips they do sound nassally and lispy.
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 2:26pm
mesTHthemiolo

THimowing MOWmaid

yeah i ascribe to the 'be best' (HA) ethos of i wanna see and hear the CREAM of humanity on my entertainment--not the dregs. The 'reward EVERY member' thing reduces accomplishment to zero

also in the past..wasn't a lithp an IMPEDIMENT to broadcast vocal work? Lets go with THAT
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 3:14am
The King/Queen of the lispers is the Verizon kid with the white Afro. And though it's not a commercial. The CBS sitcom "The Neighborhood" the lead/husband sounds as lisping and mincing as Will and his sweet light on the loafer friends. Will and Grace. (Not that there's anything wrong...) Back to this sitcom, it's a long stretch to think this guy is married (on the show) to blonde hottie Beth Behrs. In real life it would be the hot blonde being a fag hag (sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's tutu)or, a marriage of convenience. The only way lisping mincing effeminate guy can claim the abondonza inheritance when mommy dearest and or poppy croak. You inherit the billions if only you marry a bona bide real woman and she sires your kid. Act like you are a red blooded American breeder who lusts after hot blonde tail.
I approve this message.
atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 1:05pm
Some guys say a lisp is sexy. Never understood why.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:01pm
Zippyjet,that Verizon kid has some kind of rare medical condition in that he was born without a collar bone which affects the skull and teeth. I don't think he has his own teeth. I give him a pass.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:16pm
Sometimes, my tongue gets in front of my eye teeth so I can't see what I'm saying.
MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:48am
The mostht notithuble one lately isth the “Turn To The Nerds” credit card commerthial.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 6:32pm
The gays and the blacks are taking over my TV! 

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by atikovi atikovi wrote:

Some guys say a lisp is sexy. Never understood why.
Male or female lithper? i am guething MALE to MALE
atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 3:20pm
Don't ever remember hearing a male. That would sound freaky.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 2:42pm
Tharah Purthell on American Gothic Horror Thtory is a therial lithper..
but weirdly drops it from time to time
zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

Zippyjet,that Verizon kid has some kind of rare medical condition in that he was born without a collar bone which affects the skull and teeth. I don't think he has his own teeth. I give him a pass.
He gets on my nerves but, at least he can earn some decent income. He'd actually be good in a sitcom. At least he doesn't rap. I too give him a pass.
I approve this message.
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 2:05pm
Not a lisper, but the way the guy says "So- Cuh- Lean" for Soclean makes me cringe
Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic