Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Hate Myself and Want To Die

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Hate Myself and Want To Die
    Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:14pm
No, you guys. Before you get any ideas, this is NOT a suicidal post! This is simply the name of a book I have at home that talks about the 52 most depressing songs you've ever heard. It's a pretty funny book, despite the title.

Anyway, while reading this book, I felt that the author left out a few songs and added some that weren't depressing at all. A few of the songs I've never heard so I had no opinion on them. But it got me to thinking - what's the most depressing song you've ever heard? It doesn't have to have sad lyrics; it could be any song that made you reach for the box of Kleenex. I'll start.

1. "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks. I can't stand this song. The music is awful and the subject matter isn't any better. I feel bad for saying this but I wished the guy would hurry up and die already so he can stop singing.

2. "Day After Day" by Badfinger. I can't listen to this song; it haunts me. It's especially depressing to hear it now that I found out what happened to the guys in this band (they both got royally screwed by their record company and hung themselves years after). Plus, it just sounds sad.

3. "Colour My World" by Chicago. Yet another song I can't hear because I knew the fate of the singer (shot himself accidentally while playing with a gun). Plus, this song sounds like a funeral dirge. Whenever I hear the opening bars, I practically break my wrist turning the knob to get away from it.

4. "Loving You" by Minnie Riperton. Again, another "sad because the singer kicked the bucket" tune that I avoid. Plus, my oldest sister BAWLS whenever this song comes on. Even if she only hears two seconds of it, she'll start crying. The chirping birds and her eardrum shattering screech don't help, either.

5. "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston. I just don't like this song but this is another one my sister cries over. Maybe she's sobbing over the fact that it sucks.

6. "You Are Always On My Mind" by whoever sings it other than Willie Nelson (Elvis maybe?) I heard this song at the end of a TV movie about Elvis' life years ago and it was played over scenes of people mourning his death. That was all it took to turn on my waterworks.

Okay, what about the rest of you? If you'll excuse me, I need to find the tissue box.CryCry
Sponsored Links

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:23pm
CryCryPhotographs and memories, by Jim Croche, This just KILLED me after my first Husband left me sick and broke!CryCry
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:23pm
Breathe Again by Toni Braxton.  Just get over it and breathe, dammit!  Any Toni song SUCKS.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:32pm
It Never Rains in Southern California by Albert Hammond was a big hit about 1973. 

Guy goes to LA to become a star.  Things don't work out.  He bumps into a woman he knew from his hometown, and begs her to report to his people back home that he's doing really well, when the reality is that he's totally down and out.

Will you tell the folks back home I've nearly made it
Had offers but don't know which one to take
Please don't tell them how you found me
Don't tell them how you found me give me a break
Give me a break

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:46pm
Billie Holliday had a song called Strange Fruit way back when.  It was about going to the South and seeing, from a distance, what appears to be some sort of unusual fruit hanging from the trees.  Turns out to be the bodies of black guys who had been lynched.  Siouxsee and the Banshees did a cover that was very, very eerie---ending in some really off-key Dixieland funeral procession music.

Southern trees bear strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze,
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

Pastoral scene of the gallant south,
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh,
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,
Here is a strange and bitter crop.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:49pm
Mr. Bojangles, 'cause Mr. Bojangles' dog "upped and died, he upped and died...and after 20 years, he still grieved".

NiteRaidah View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NiteRaidah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 9:50pm
"Love Bites" by Def Leppard is pretty miserable.  As is anything off of The Wall by Pink Floyd.

Probably one of the most depressing songs I've heard is "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division.  Come to think of it, anything by Joy Division would work.
I have 168 characters remaining.
J.R. View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 10:02pm
Was I the only one that was genuinely frightened when I first saw the topic title? ShockedCry

Mooch, I know we haven't always gotten along, but I respect your opinion and I would never wish you any harm. (I know that has nothing to do with the topic, I'm just saying it for the record)
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 10:18pm
Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nilsson
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by J.R. J.R. wrote:

Was I the only one that was genuinely frightened when I first saw the topic title? ShockedCry

Mooch, I know we haven't always gotten along, but I respect your opinion and I would never wish you any harm. (I know that has nothing to do with the topic, I'm just saying it for the record)

Thank you, J.R. You're very sweet. Hug

That is why I prefaced the post with what I said at the beginning about it NOT being a suicidal post. I'm sorry if I alarmed anyone with it but if you look closely, the title has the first letters capitalized and I never do that with my posts unless I was writing down a title. It's something subtle but I did it purposely for that reason. It just happens to be an unfortunate title.
Media Blitz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Media Blitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 11:33pm
No Son of Mine by Genesis. It's an awesome song, but the topic is so depressing. Carpet Crawlers (the 1999) version and Fading Lights fall under that category but for sentimental reasons.
Verdana is teh suck.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Billie Holliday had a song called Strange Fruit way back when.  It was about going to the South and seeing, from a distance, what appears to be some sort of unusual fruit hanging from the trees.  Turns out to be the bodies of black guys who had been lynched.  Siouxsee and the Banshees did a cover that was very, very eerie---ending in some really off-key Dixieland funeral procession music.

Southern trees bear strange fruit,
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root,
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze,
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees.

Pastoral scene of the gallant south,
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth,
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh,
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh.

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck,
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck,
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop,
Here is a strange and bitter crop.

That song was actually a poem that was later set to music & sung by Holliday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Fruit

Here's the vid....

tvpirate05 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tvpirate05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2008 at 11:54pm
I don't even remember the title of it, but it's a pretty cheesy song from the early-70s that sounds like the Brady Bunch sang it.

Anyways, the whole entire song is about teens vs. parents; the parents are overbearing, and of course the teens feel as if the adults don't understand. At the end of the song, an officer informs one teen's father that the teen died of a drug overdose, leaving the father sobbing, during the (now somber) chorus of the song.

Creeped me out the first time I heard it...

ETA: "(Things Get a Little Easier) Once You Understand," by Think.
The poster formerly known as producer757
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:00am
And what's really a crime is that the sad songs are about the only ones that radio stations will play.  (They do it so that the jingles in the radio ads sound "happier", which makes you listen to them....)
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:03am

I can't believe no one has mentioned the mother of all depressing songs...

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:07am
CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:15am
Here's a song that's guaranteed to bring you down....

One of my favorite songs.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:30am
OK, I can get even more depressing than that one...

This one is just plain maudlin.

Geeeezzz Cry

kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:37am
I always cry at "I Will Always Love You" too. And I have no freakin idea why!! I can't cry at Pearl Harbor, I can't cry at My Dog Skip or any movie where the dog dies, I can't cry at The Notebook, I can't cry at Anne Frank, but THE BODYGUARD of all movies is the one I cry at.

Me, Simple Plan's "Perfect" always gets me. I can relate. My parents aren't that bad, but my mom always gets on my case. Another song I can relate to: "Kyle's Mom Is A Bitch". LOL
Don't get me wrong, I love my mom dearly. But she can be a King Kamehameha Biotch when she wants to be.

Anyway other sad songs: Teardrops On My Guitar. I know, I suffer from I Cry Over Cheesy Ass Songs Syndrome. And the thing is, I don't even like country music, but I genuinely like Taylor Swift. The thing is, all three guys I liked this year are now going out with other people, and it's actually funny that I have to live that song three times over. The first guy tho is a total jerk and the girl he's dating is my worst enemy/total road whore, so nuts to them both.

Ce Jeu by Yelle. I have no idea what any of it means, since I take Spanish and not French. But I get the feeling it's about love. I never cry when I hear it but I get a melancholy feeling inside.

Lovin' You always gets me as well. But not really anymore because I keep thinking of that South Park episode where John Stamos' less talented brother couldn't hit the high F.

Who Knew by Pink- GAWD so sad! It doesn't hit me as much anymore because now it's constantly played, but still.
Runaway by Pink- again, ridiculously sad. Go look up the lyrics for any of these songs if you don't know 'em. I'm gonna go run Ce Jeu through a translator and see what I can get.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:43am
Ce Jeu in English:

crazy and so obvious
i cant make any sense of
this exciting game
so good but so tiresome
you like to manipulate me
and i like to do it just as much
we're 2 victims of this sweet
lovers' game

i'd make the effort, i know you by heart
all i have to do is ignore you
so that you come back crying
i take care of you
you leave again
and thats how it goes
always the same thing
and i know it will happen every time

crazy and so obvious
i cant make any sense of
this exciting game
so good but so tiresome
you like to manipulate me
and i like to do it just as much
we're 2 victims of this sweet
lovers' game

passion, emotion
correcting the equations
i mix up the solution
but i always get the same sensation
its clear, i can no longer make
any sense of this exciting game
so good but so tiresome
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 12:47am
I think these might just qualify...
time to cry......(part 1)...I won't even provide 'Donald and Lydia' (anyone wants to hear it can go find it on their own - much too rough)...
FOUR little John Prine ditties...
Bonnie R & John P - Angel from Montgomery (I personally LOVE this song!)
Sam Stone
Hello in There 
Souveniers
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:17am
Bobby Goldsborough!!!!!
I would listen to his music when I was a teen and CRY!!! They were truly the sappiest songs EVER!!!!! Has anyone ever heard Butterflies for Bucky? HOLY MOLY!!!!! How about "With Pen In Hand"?CryCryCryLOL
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:23am
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:28am
I always liked that song, Pa.Cry
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 1:32am
I loooooooooooooooooooove Glen Campbell!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic