Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nextel, Steelworkers Running the World???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nextel, Steelworkers Running the World???
    Posted: 10 May 2008 at 10:34pm
I guess I'm just not intelligent enough to get this ad, so would someone please point out its meaning to me? What the f**k does 'Steelworkers running the DMV' have to do with Nextel?? Is it because they use the little walkie talkies? I'm not knocking steelworkers or anything because they bust their ass to build this country, but with the number of those big assed construction cranes that have bitten the dust lately, I wouldn't push the subject too much.

I still don't get the ad. Someone please help a Wild Man out!! LOL
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 11:59pm
Well, I'll try. I think they're just showing that they can cut through the red tape and get the job done because they don't have a lot of rules, etc.

However, I have seen union shops refuse to do a function because it was not part of their contact.
C_ROCK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_ROCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 10:27pm
I think you guys are missing the point. Its about efficiency of work ethic combined with technology that supports it.

Disregarding all the subjectivity around steelworkers, these are the men that make things happen. The ones that don't have time for a turtle's pace work environment. They reinforce the idea that Americans work hard, we like things done yesterday and we aim to deliver perfection.

Put that in a scenario where we're not use to seeing it, and a point is made.

With that in mind, go back and watch it 3 more times. Still disagree?
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 10:43pm
I like this commercial,I get a kick out of them going through the list till the end.

"Written test?" "pass"

"Eye test?" "pass"

"Driving Test?" *cue to a scene where the car has crashed into a parade float* "..............FAIL!!!"

"Nice try.NEXT!" LOL

still, it doesn't beat my all time favorite of this series:

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2008 at 5:29am
ORSON WELLES:  Some of the best steelworkers are Nextel customers...unfortunately, they all came down with bad cases of acid reflux, which means they have to take the Purple Pill...NEXTELIUM...wait--this is terrible!  I quit!  Well, maybe after I finish watching and trying to understand this commercial...oh great...there's a french fry stuck in my beard...and some more in my can of Rosebud peas...now I have to pee...how atrocious is this? 
Clownface3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clownface3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 2:23am
If you have to spend this much energy explaining it, then the commercial doesn't work. 
C_ROCK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_ROCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 3:36am
You have a point there.

But, also remember that each commercial has a specific audience that it is intended for. That said, not everyone will get the gist to every commercial unless they take the time to try and understand what it is trying to say.

I make it a point to try and understand commercials that I don't get right off the bat, and relate them to the audience they are made for. So I hope if anything that while there are tv spots that don't communicate a real message that we can identify the ones that do, even if we're not the target audience.
8 Track Single View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8 Track Single Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 3:39am
Originally posted by C_ROCK C_ROCK wrote:

You have a point there.

But, also remember that each commercial has a specific audience that it is intended for. That said, not everyone will get the gist to every commercial unless they take the time to try and understand what it is trying to say.

I make it a point to try and understand commercials that I don't get right off the bat, and relate them to the audience they are made for. So I hope if anything that while there are tv spots that don't communicate a real message that we can identify the ones that do, even if we're not the target audience.

I need help understanding the Comcast BOE ads.  HELP! 
C_ROCK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_ROCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 3:55am
One word, misdirection.

They're playing off the bit that by acting as the wrong guy they can encourage people that comcast IS the answer to big expensive phone bills.

Plus, its humorous. Comcast has been working this bit for a while now. Its effective, but don't think its their strongest attempt. I think by taking this route they should still have had something it in that people could recognize visually that this came from comcast. Not to say they didn't try by putting "a comcast production" in at the end.
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 6:10am

LOL Personally, I've got better things to do with my time than to intellectualize each sh*tty commercial that comes on my TV!!!! I'll tell you buddy, if you want my friggin money, you'd better grab my attention the first few seconds, and NOT make my ears hurt with stupid f**king singing, annoying screaming, and bullsh*t lame assed humor. I've been a musician most of my life and I've worked crowds and got them laughing, and I've been known to know where the funny is, but these ad execs have a lot to learn, and need to use a lot more effort to deliver a punch in the funny bone. There is a BIG difference between funny and stupid. Sometimes stupid is funny if you're going for complete parody, but if you are making a pitch for my coin....you'd better damned well show me what the thing does, and tell me the price, then get the f**k outta my damned face and don't piss me off with your corny-assed sales pitches. I'm not stupid, and if I want to buy something, trust me I'll know everything about it before I walk in to a store or click buy now. I research the Hell outta my purchases. I don't need funny, or someone's lame attempt at it, to sell me a car or make me want to go get a burger. If I want a burger, I'll go where my tummy tells me, not because some stupid, I'm lovin' in slogan, or an idiot in a pink wig, OR a plastic fugly king. Just tell me what it does, tell me the price and get out of my face. Is that too much to ask?? I don't want to think about it. I don't need a puzzle to snap together to get the picture of what a damned commercial means. I'm not wasting my brain power on this bullsh*t. Want my money???? Be clear, and offer me a product that will make my life better. A REAL product that doesn't have to rely on flashy stupid sales gimmicks to sell it. It's ridiculous, and pathetic, and quite embarrassing if you ask me.

C_ROCK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_ROCK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 6:37am
To each his own my friend. I was simply answering your request, "
I guess I'm just not intelligent enough to get this ad, so would someone please point out its meaning to me?"

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:09pm
They do another version of that where firemen are running the country in place of Congress.

I think the concept is too cute by half.

Like so many commercials for these "cool, hip" modern high tech gadget companies, they're just trying too hard.

I can just imagine some young, goateed, ginseng-imbued-energy-drink-sucking phony hipster ad agency asswipe in some ultra-modern-decor conference room, presenting this dipsh*t concept to a bunch of clients who are all a bunch of phony hipster asswipes themselves, all going on & on about how clever they think it is & they are for coming up with it & appreciating it's hipness.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Clownface3 Clownface3 wrote:

If you have to spend this much energy explaining it, then the commercial doesn't work. 
That says it all.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by C_ROCK C_ROCK wrote:

To each his own my friend. I was simply answering your request, "
I guess I'm just not intelligent enough to get this ad, so would someone please point out its meaning to me?" 

Real, down to Earth "get-it-done" mentality guys don't pussy-foot around with all the BS we've all experienced in the world of official red tape, and neither does whatever company this ad is for, which I forget because I was so unimpressed by it anyway.

Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 6:15am

I saw this ad again today and I got it this time. I guess I wasn't paying much attention the last time, but still, that just furthers my point about the ad being too intellectual. If I were to make an ad to sell a product, I would want the ad to be a no-brainer that simply informs the comsumer about the product. Try to convince folks how much better their lives would be if they bought my product.

Oh by the way, C_ROCK, I wasn't getting pissy with you if it sounded that way. I just get pissed at how these sh*theads invade our homes and waste our time yaking about some sh*t I care ABSOLUTELY nothing about!! I appreciate the answer. As I said, I got it the second time around, but I still think it's too ambiguous an ad to serve them as well as an easier, more clear down to earth ad could.
promontorium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote promontorium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2008 at 10:26pm
The point of the commercial is this; these guys use the 2-way, and thus work gets done faster. That's it.

If you get your business to use the 2-way, your work will get done faster too.

Is that simple enough?
I love commercials, for the most part.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2008 at 8:11am
Originally posted by promontorium promontorium wrote:

The point of the commercial is this; these guys use the 2-way, and thus work gets done faster. That's it.

If you get your business to use the 2-way, your work will get done faster too.

Is that simple enough?

Say man, is this just you being you, or are you trying to purposely be a smartass?? I just want to know if you are trying to be rude or just direct, before I pop off and tell you to kiss my ass or something. The, "Is that simple enough?" comment sounds rude as hell, and totally uncalled for, BUT it could just be my perception of the comment. However, I have seen a couple more of your posts that seem to sling little cuts towards others so I'm just wondering if you are attempting to be funny or just jousting a little. I'm not a sensitive person, but throwing glass in someones eye when they didn't ask for it is another thing, so please set me straight here. Stern%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic