Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ronzoni Smart Taste: Kids Eating Like Farm Animals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ronzoni Smart Taste: Kids Eating Like Farm Animals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ronzoni Smart Taste: Kids Eating Like Farm Animals
    Posted: 18 Jul 2009 at 10:51pm

The product is apparently "healthy" pasta that your kids will eat because it's white as opposed to brown pasta? Kids who refuse to eat healthy things is so played out in advertising, and on top of it we have kids eating like farm animals with food hanging out of their mouths. THIS IS NOT CUTE, STOP THINKING IT IS! Kids will eat healthy if their parents make them. I was made to eat veggies as a kid and grew into an adult who understands the importance of a balanced diet. Healthy should not have to be hidden.

This is what this ad reminds me of:

Sponsored Links

kisazeky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kisazeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2009 at 5:18am
Healthy yuck!!

That line is so stupid. Like any kid would ever say that.

I also don't like how the little girl looks at the camera while she's eating. It's like she looked up at the camera, then they told her to focus on the food. Kind of like The Little Rascals outakes.

Edit: Adding another point about the product's name:

What's so "smart" about tricking your kids into eating healthy food, instead of instilling upon them the importance of preferring food that is naturally more healthy? Kids aren't going to learn a damn thing about sensible food choices, if their parents just let them eat things like mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, and pizza. Only bad parents would feed something like this to their kids.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 8:01pm
I might try the stuff to see if it's as good as regular pasta.  I don't want the brown stuff, either.
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 8:32pm
Those are cute animals. I reckon kids would eat healthy if their parents keep healthy food in the house, teach them that not every vegetable is nasty like beets are. And that fruit can be as good as candy, though not as consistent. So, yes, those sort of "I've got to trick my kids into eating healthy food by putting carrots in their brownies" thing is silly.
Plus brownies don't need carrots. They need chocolate chips.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
specialkt View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specialkt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 8:47pm
i dunno i had plenty of friends growing up whose parents refused to buy any junk food and soda etc so when they came over my house they GORGED on the junk food.

however, i grew up around knowing MODERATION and i turned out fine. i eat extremely healthy now (on my own accord) because the way i was raised and not taught "AVOID THE FORBIDDEN FOOOD!"

i do think whole grain pasta tends to have a different texture and i dont think allowing your kids SOME white carbs wouldn't be the crime of the century
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2009 at 9:18pm
Developing kids actually need a bit of fat and carbohydrates to grow properly and for brain development.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 6:30pm
Bravo Heza and kisazeky for making those points!
Here's a commercial that actually promotes the unhealthy attitude it's supposed to be thwarting.
It's such a ridiculous and irresponsible commercial cliché that "kids don't like healthy food."
Marketing plays an important role in what kids like and what they ask for.
Little kids see other kids on TV as examples. Kids mimic what they see on TV.
Kids will see this commercial and say "Healthy? Yuck!"
It's actually propagating the notion that kids shouldn't like to eat healthy food.

If you teach your kids that it's good to be healthy (and who wants to be sick?)
then they'll enjoy foods that keep the healthy.

Which by the way probably does NOT include this pasta.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 12:20am
May all of you who think it's so easy to get kids to eat right be blessed with a child who refuses to eat whatever you give them.

Seriously.

It's not nearly that simple, for every child.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 1:12am
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

May all of you who think it's so easy to get kids to eat right be blessed with a child who refuses to eat whatever you give them.

If I didn't eat what I was given I went hungry. I'd say that's a pretty effective lesson.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

If I didn't eat what I was given I went hungry. I'd say that's a pretty effective lesson.

Well, yay for you.

Some kids STILL won't eat, even then.

Report back when you actually have a kid.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 3:41pm
Thanks HR - I have to agree 100% 

I used to eat like that when I was a kid (I still do, on "special" occasions).

Our kids ate like that now and then and again (a parent cannot control everything), especially when we often had all five bumbling around and cutting up with each other, at the same time. Quite often it was a genuine relief to just be able to say 'dinner is over'...no matter HOW they ate - just as long as they DID.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 6:52pm
I'm with Holly and Pa. 

I have a kid who now eats healthier than I do, but growing up it was a relief to get him to eat anything that wasn't one of his (very limited) favorite foods. 

Also, my brother hated most vegetables when he was a kid, and forced to eat them.  The result?  He's an adult who refuses to eat most vegetables.  Heavy-handedness works on some, and not on others. 

And here we go again:  it's so easy to be flippant about how to raise children when you have none.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 6:52pm

Well, yay for you.

Some kids STILL won't eat, even then.

Report back when you actually have a kid.

No need to be snippy HR, we get it, you have a kid and I don't. I also happen to believe that the pickiest kid can "kick the habit" if taught properly. No one is saying kids aren't picky, kids ARE picky. There's just a difference between hiding healthy food, and being up front about it.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 9:24pm
When Mom cooked something us kids didn't like, we had to sit at the dinner table until it was eaten even if it got cold. Putting brussel sprouts in your pants pocket only worked the first couple times, being how Mom did the laundry.Embarrassed
Slipping it to the dog wasn't a sure thing either. So when we refused to eat it regardless, we were sent to our room w/ no tv and no going back later for any snacks/ice cream.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 11:01pm

No need to be snippy HR, we get it, you have a kid and I don't. I also happen to believe that the pickiest kid can "kick the habit" if taught properly. No one is saying kids aren't picky, kids ARE picky. There's just a difference between hiding healthy food, and being up front about it.

The part about hiding the healthy element of food is relevant.  I haven't met a kid who's dismissed a food simply because it's healthy.  Kids choose what they want, from what is made available to them.  Some eat way too much, others eat nearly nothing, MANY are obsessed with whether or not what they're consuming is "good enough." 

In reality, apart from most commercial advertising, kids get the eat-healthy message shoved down their throats.  We are nurturing a generation of kids with food issues.

If you know a simple way to teach the pickiest kid to "kick the habit," and it actually works (without instilling other emotional problems), you should market that course.  You'd make a fortune.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 2:48am

We are nurturing a generation of kids with food issues.

YES this is what the overall message I was trying to get at was. Clap

I know kids are picky, it's normal, but if you don't at least try to teach them what's "good for them" foods and what's "bad for them" foods, who else are they going to learn it from, the TV that shows other little kids rejecting healthy food? I feel like there's a difference between parents who simply allow their kids to be picky by "hiding" healthy foods or giving them a pediasure, and parents who actually sit them down and explain the importance, and throw in an occasional "no leaving the table til your plate's clean". I know I don't have kids yet, but I know they can be pretty smart about things if you explain it to them right. My argument was never about picky kids, more about what i'd consider lazy parenting.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 3:16am
I don't have kids, but I was one once.  If I refused to eat what was put on the plate, I just didn't eat.  I remember once, my mother simply didn't set a place at the table for me.  My mother said, "Well, you don't want to eat what i'm serving, so I decided not to set a place for you".  My little heart was broken, and I promised to eat whatever she made.

The kids (8 and 5 y/o) of some friends of mine never eat what Mom cooks.  They'll only eat hot dogs or noodles w butter.  Mom has been cooking special for them ever since they were old enough to let it be known what is and is not acceptable.

I think the problem is that she'd rather meet their demands than see them be hungry for even a minute.  The kids are simply stronger than she or her husband.  So, from my observation, it really looks like (as Heza said) "lazy parenting".  I might call it "weak parenting".  The kids' aren't gonna die if they have to go without dinner a few times.

For what it's worth, the mother is an excellent cook.  Everything she makes is outstanding.

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 3:43am
The notion that "little kids" actually watch and learn from other little kids on healthy food ads needs to be investigated.  Frankly I think unless it's a a comment about a toy... they're not paying much attention.  UNLESS they see their peers shovelling pasta in their little pie-holes.  That might provoke a 5-year old to say "Mommy!! We need RONZONI spaghetti!!" 

*Tongue in cheek here of course! 

Thor....I've tried this pasta.  It's very close to the real thing. The thing about pasta is what you put on it.  So if Mama is slapping dead-sweet -or fat-laden sauces on her kids' plates....it doesn't matter too much if the noodles are made from Play-Do(h!!)  LOL
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 3:55am

I actually looked at the stuff at the supermarket yesterday, Spicy, and compared it to the regular Ronzoni spaghetti.  It was healthier, I guess (fiber and calcium-wise)...but not so much in the way that I wanted.  The calorie content is maybe 10% lower, but the fat content remains the same, and the carb content is actually a bit higher.

So, there wasn't that much there to make me want to spend the extra money on it.

Maybe I'll try the brown wheat stuff one day.  I'm imagining it to be mealy.  Disapprove

My observation is that kids care more about the shape of the pasta than the ingredients.  You could pour ketchup on it, and most kids won't care.

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 4:09am
We've had pasta convos before.  Wink   It all BOILS down Tongue to the allmighty buck and the creation of "healthier" Frankenfoods.  Whole wheat is better by some standards.  I am not crazy about it-- unless mixed with veggies. For my taste I love San Giorgio pasta.  I used to buy the Barilla "healthy" with bean flour  but my tummy finally said NO MORE.  Confused
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 4:11am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

My observation is that kids care more about the shape of the pasta than the ingredients.  You could pour ketchup on it, and most kids won't care.

I still swear the blue box Kraft mac and cheese that has shaped pasta tastes better then the elbow pasta. I have no idea why, I swear I taste a difference Tongue
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 6:21am
Y'mean like this shape?

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 6:43am
That's mm mm good on a whole other level. Don't worry, there's something for the guys too.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 2:27pm
I'm getting aroused.  And hungry.  But mostly hungry.  LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2009 at 2:28pm
I really didn't expect to find this, but ---VOILA!!

Vaginaroni!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic