Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-aerosol shaving cream

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-aerosol shaving cream
    Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 6:51pm
The kind that comes in a tube. Yes, a tube!

I have been using a cream/paste style shaving cream for years
and it has numerous advantages over that puffy foamy stuff that comes in a can.

1) More precise. The puffy stuff makes a huge cloud on your face. Who knows where your beard might be under those snowdrifts? How to precisely shave sideburns? Goatees? Tiny mustaches?
When using puffy shaving cream I always have to smear it down to a thin film so I can see what I'm doing. The tube stuff is like a lotion. You spread it around, you can see your beard and you're ready to shave.

2) Less packaging. Do you really need a big metal can? If you shave in the shower it leaves a rusty ring anywhere you put it. No good. A plastic tube that stands upright is just right.

3) No chemical propellants. Just shaving cream. There's no strange compressed gas in there serving only to push the product out.

4) Longer lasting. You can control how much you use. It doesn't shoot out and make a baseball-sized marshmallow in your hand like an aerosol shaving cream.

5) Now available in "cheap"! I used to use Clinique for Men, which was a whopping $13 a tube, and I only used it when I needed a really good shave. Now Target sells one under the brand name "Every Man Jack" for $4.99.

Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 7:07pm
I think Edge made a cream in a tube a couple of years ago...the commercials showed a girl rubbing the guy's face.

I tried it, but it was difficult to get a clean shave.  I've gone back to regular Edge gel.

Years ago, I used a mug, soap, and a nice, soft brush.  Just added a little hot water, mixed it up to a lather and brushed it on.  That was a good shave.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2009 at 7:37pm

I've been using a different brand, yet same technology, for years. Works GREAT!

Dollar Tree only recently quit selling their $1 tubes (bought 2 in 3 years)...may have had something to do with content control in regard to Chinese products...never caused me a problem - and I'm actually pissed because now I have to go possibly spend MORE than a dollar to get a different brand. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 2:16am
Hey Nathan...... here's a suggestion for you....... SOAP.

That's right, just plain old, bar soap. If you prefer a moisturizing soap, then use Dove or Camay, but really, any soap will do. Works better than ANY shaving cream, can, tube or otherwise.

Makes the skin on your your face & neck so slippery that you can use an old, dull blade & still get a fairly comfortable shave.

Just use it in the shower for ease & convenience.

HOWEVER... if you're gonna shave in the shower, no matter WHAT you use... always be environmentally conscious & TURN THE WATER DOWN TO A TRICKLE. That's all you need to do the job. 

DON'T WASTE WATER!!!!! Wink

But I'm serious... I read about it in ESQUIRE Magazine several years ago. One of their editors wrote an article on shaving or "scraping hair off an old man's face" as he put it. And his conclusion was hot water & plain old soap will give you the best shave you can get.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jack View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Fomerly Takeikin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:50am

Nothing beats it.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

I know a woman who sells skin stuff.  She gave me a tube of shaving gel a while back, called Skin Strategies.  The stuff gets hot when applied!  Like magic.

For some reason (sales, I guess), she thinks men should have a "skin regimen", too.  I don't get it, but shaving gel that heats up when applied is kind of cool.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 3:21pm
Better yet, just say "screw it" & get one of these.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I know a woman who sells skin stuff.  She gave me a tube of shaving gel a while back, called Skin Strategies.  The stuff gets hot when applied!  Like magic.

For some reason (sales, I guess), she thinks men should have a "skin regimen", too.  I don't get it, but shaving gel that heats up when applied is kind of cool.

Make up your mind...is it hot or cool?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 3:28pm
I just noticed that!!! LOL

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 3:30pm

I don't get it, but shaving gel that heats up when applied is kind of cool.

Sounds like they just mixed some Ben-Gay in with regular shaving cream.

C'mon, man!
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

It sounds like Coochie (Shave) Cream.

I tried to find a link, but went blind in the process.  Look it up, yourselves.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:13pm
Does "Coochie" mean what I think it does? Wink

NOTE: Looked it up & it's spelled "Coochy".

http://www.shopinprivate.com/coocshavexge.html

http://www.coochyshave.com/

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Make up your mind...is it hot or cool?

LOL

I knew I should've said "neat".  But the younger types here may not know what "neat" means.  They might, however, know what Neet is.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:24pm
"Awesome" would've worked.

I think "the shit" also has some sort of similar positive connotation, too. 

From urban dictionary:

Mostly you would say something is "the shit" if it's bangin or something, but if it happens to be particulary phat, you could elaborate, saying something is "the shit's tits" being the best or most valuable part of the shit, or the "best of the best."

"rocks" might've worked as well.

or "bangin" as used in the definition above.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:27pm

You'd think, but there's no cool/hot menthol-ish feel to it.  It's just hot, as if it just heats up.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:30pm

You'd think, but there's no cool/hot menthol-ish feel to it.  It's just hot, as if it just heats up.

Could just be Cayenne pepper added to it.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:31pm

"Awesome" would've worked.

I think "the shit" also has some sort of similar positive connotation, too. 

From urban dictionary:

Mostly you would say something is "the shit" if it's bangin or something, but if it happens to be particulary phat, you could elaborate, saying something is "the sh*t's tits" being the best or most valuable part of the sh*t, or the "best of the best."

"Bangin"??  "Phat"??  "The sh*t"??  I'm still working on "dope" and "illin'".  I can, however, pull off "gnarly" and "rad".

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:32pm

Could just be Cayenne pepper added to it.

It's magic, damnit!!  Angry

And I don't mean this stuff:

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:34pm
That's "dammit".

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:36pm
I prefer to spell made-up words correctly.

Hmmmm...I guess I should be spelling it "Damn it!".
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 4:42pm

I think a more phonetic spelling of certain words adds a kind of punch to them..... dammit!!!

C'mon, man!
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 8:40pm

Better yet, just say "screw it" & get one of these.

<But I'm serious... I read about it in ESQUIRE Magazine several years ago. One of their editors wrote an article on shaving or "scraping hair off an old man's face" as he put it. And his conclusion was hot water & plain old soap will give you the best shave you can get.>

That's what I do but in the bath sink. I can't shave in the shower.

Over the years, I've tried some of the cheaper electric shavers but never seemed to do a decent job. While at WalMart recently, I was in the shaving needs aisle and spotted a couple in the $150 range.Shocked I picked up a pack of MACH3 blades instead.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 9:37pm
The one in the picture is, as evidenced by the intentionally displayed water droplets clinging to it, a wet/dry shaver. You can use it with soap & water in the shower. I don't know what the cost is, though.

I usually shave with a regular electric, but sometimes I use a regular disposable razor.

Whenever I shave with a blade-type razor, I do it in the shower with the water turned way down, but just enough to keep everything wet & slick.

Even with a worn out razor I get a nice shave.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 9:54pm
I'm committed to using my Schick Quattro for the next 13 or 14 years.  A few years back, my brother's in-laws bestowed upon me about 100 cartridges for my Quattro (they used to work for Pfizer, which used to own Schick, or something like that).  Seeing as how one cartridge lasts me about two months...I might be good to go till I actually go.

ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2009 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

I think Edge made a cream in a tube a couple of years ago...the commercials showed a girl rubbing the guy's face.

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
Never seen that in a shaving cream ad before!

I believe the FCC rule is -
in a shaving cream or razor ad, the man must appear shirtless and muscular after using the product, looking into the camera as if looking into a mirror, smiling with satisfaction as he rubs his own face, as a woman stands behind him stroking his chest before kissing him on the cheek.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic