Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Verizon Envy Commercial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Verizon Envy Commercial
    Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 3:53am
This commercial bugs the CRAP out of me. It's so...odd. Here's the set up. Two people I'm assuming are either a couple or siblings are sitting with this guy drinking coffee or something. Basically the couple (obviously young attractive people) is telling this guy how awesome their new phones are. They cut to this guy. Not to offend, but he's obviously fat, unshaven (and not in the flattering way), and ugly. Even his teeth are discolored and crooked obviously. After each "feature", he'll say something like "But, I'd never use that feature" or "I only use my phone for calling people." But in his thoughts, he's saying "Oh, that's so cool" and "Don't put that down, I WILL take it."
I know it's meant to be funny, but its not. It's stupid. Why doesn't this guy just go "Oh, that's pretty cool! I wish my phone did that?" Obviously they're trying to say that people should be ashamed if their phone doesn't play "Need for Speed" (one of the amazing features they point out). But, why is this guy so obviously supposed to be unattractive? Well, I guess non-smart phones are supposed to make you feel unattractive.
Basically, this commercial is sickening to me...shame on you Verizon. In trying to subtly say give subliminal messages about your stupid "smart" dumb-phone (it doesn't even have Wi-Fi), you just do the same thing that beauty magazines do. "Oh, I need a smart phone or I'm ugly". Nice...

Sponsored Links

kat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 8:27pm
I hate this commercial too. That guy is gross to look at. His teeth are screwed up.
madness fills my heart and soul as if the great divide could swallow me whole
DolFan 316 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DolFan 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2009 at 10:24pm
Messages like that just make me NOT want to buy the product.

Not to mention the obvious--that if someone is ugly there's no reason for them to have a Verizon phone and they probably wouldn't even be allowed to according to the ad's own logic.
My nickname's the assman, because everywhere I go people tell me, "You're an ass, man!"
rosynyc View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosynyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 11:19pm
This commercial bugs me too -- specifically the very unattractive guy.  His teeth are so crooked and his hair is all disheveled.  I actually think he was an actor on the CW's One Tree Hill -- the one who was involved in the school shooting. 

The only thing I like about this commercial is the fact that I agree with the unattractive guy's sentiment -- I don't really use my phone for anything but making phone calls...guess I'm not Verizon's target audience!
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 1:29am
Originally posted by rosynyc rosynyc wrote:

The only thing I like about this commercial is the fact that I agree with the unattractive guy's sentiment -- I don't really use my phone for anything but making phone calls...guess I'm not Verizon's target audience!
Yeah god forbid somebody actually use their phone for umm you know a phone. Nooooooo. You need to get sports updates. You need to know if Barry Bonds scratched his ass in Bugsnort, Tennessee or The East Mudflap Plover Hens finally beat their dreaded rivals The WestBumblef**k Nomads at 43 man squamish and of course you must twitter because everybody and their mother needs to know your dog just farted. Oh yeah and you need a zillion ringtones, we can't have your mom having the same ringtone as your cat psychiatrist.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DolFan 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 2:12am
I like this DirtyD79 guy. In a strictly hetero way of course Smile 
My nickname's the assman, because everywhere I go people tell me, "You're an ass, man!"
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2009 at 2:24am
I hate the guy who's like "you got twitter", just the way he  says it angers me to no end. OMG this phone has twitter I gots to buy it LOL....Dead Stupid. Also at the end when the other guy's mind says "Don't set that down I WILL take it". My ass you'll take it fatty.

Oh and also, the thing is spelled En-V... as if envy wasn't lame enough.
ThatOneAdWhere... View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatOneAdWhere... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 6:17am
I never thought about that.  Why the hell is he pretending like all those features worthless anyway? who are you trying to kid?
psieczko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psieczko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 6:32am
Dumb commercial for all the reasons that have already been stated...

But the girl in the commercial is a stunner. Anyone know who she is?
51ichiro51 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 51ichiro51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 6:53am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

I hate the guy who's like "you got twitter", just the way he  says it angers me to no end. OMG this phone has twitter I gots to buy it LOL....Dead .

Exactly!

It just makes me think of all these stupid "articles" where all they really say is "oh no how will twitter make any money? everybody loves it so much I really hope it succeeds don't you?"

Come on it seems like they're doing fine since Twitter is being shoved down everyone's throats EVERY DAY. Obviously they have a really aggressive marketing team who makes sure nobody ever forgets how "useful" Twitter is.

And when the whole Iranian revolution thing was heating up, I was getting really annoyed, almost offended by how many people were lining up to say how incredible and amazing Twitter is instead of talking about the actual issue! It disgusts me how invasive this thing is.
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2009 at 7:35am
I use twitter, but I do not update everyone, every second of the day. Any cell phone can access twitter, as long as it has internet access. My iPhone has an Twitter and an GPS App.    
TheNilvarg View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNilvarg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 1:31am
By far one of the worst commercials in the history of television. The guy's nasal hipster voice makes my ears bleed, and he has that same douchey voice that so many people have in commercials these days.
The Mad Gasser View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Mad Gasser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2009 at 7:19pm
I guess I'm officially old.
I'm that guy who doesn't need all that stuff. Granted I don't have the "thoughts" he does or his "charming" good looks. I own a Tracfone, and rarely use it. I honestly don't like talking on the phone much. I think it's so stupid that people think that they have to keep up with the techno trends. Much like I don't feel like subscribing to cable or satellite because why should I pay for a service and still get TV ads? But hell I'd rather have a Tracfone or a Jitterbug to use. I don't care to surf the internet or play games on such a small assed screen. I can wait until I get home and play my PS3 on my flatscreen or surf the internet on my home computer.
Vindicated View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vindicated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 6:42am
Originally posted by Duffin Duffin wrote:

This commercial bugs the CRAP out of me. It's so...odd. Here's the set up. Two people I'm assuming are either a couple or siblings are sitting with this guy drinking coffee or something. Basically the couple (obviously young attractive people) is telling this guy how awesome their new phones are. They cut to this guy. Not to offend, but he's obviously fat, unshaven (and not in the flattering way), and ugly. Even his teeth are discolored and crooked obviously. After each "feature", he'll say something like "But, I'd never use that feature" or "I only use my phone for calling people." But in his thoughts, he's saying "Oh, that's so cool" and "Don't put that down, I WILL take it."I know it's meant to be funny, but its not. It's stupid. Why doesn't this guy just go "Oh, that's pretty cool! I wish my phone did that?" Obviously they're trying to say that people should be ashamed if their phone doesn't play "Need for Speed" (one of the amazing features they point out). But, why is this guy so obviously supposed to be unattractive? Well, I guess non-smart phones are supposed to make you feel unattractive.Basically, this commercial is sickening to me...shame on you Verizon. In trying to subtly say give subliminal messages about your stupid "smart" dumb-phone (it doesn't even have Wi-Fi), you just do the same thing that beauty magazines do. "Oh, I need a smart phone or I'm ugly". Nice...

Yeah I noticed the image propaganda there. To formulate the commercial

You buy = Pretty people
You don't buy = Ugly people
You don't feel the need to buy = Liar and Thief
rickhamilton620 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickhamilton620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Duffin Duffin wrote:

This commercial bugs the CRAP out of me. It's so...odd. Here's the set up. Two people I'm assuming are either a couple or siblings are sitting with this guy drinking coffee or something. Basically the couple (obviously young attractive people) is telling this guy how awesome their new phones are. They cut to this guy. Not to offend, but he's obviously fat, unshaven (and not in the flattering way), and ugly. Even his teeth are discolored and crooked obviously. After each "feature", he'll say something like "But, I'd never use that feature" or "I only use my phone for calling people." But in his thoughts, he's saying "Oh, that's so cool" and "Don't put that down, I WILL take it."
I know it's meant to be funny, but its not. It's stupid. Why doesn't this guy just go "Oh, that's pretty cool! I wish my phone did that?" Obviously they're trying to say that people should be ashamed if their phone doesn't play "Need for Speed" (one of the amazing features they point out). But, why is this guy so obviously supposed to be unattractive? Well, I guess non-smart phones are supposed to make you feel unattractive.
Basically, this commercial is sickening to me...shame on you Verizon. In trying to subtly say give subliminal messages about your stupid "smart" dumb-phone (it doesn't even have Wi-Fi), you just do the same thing that beauty magazines do. "Oh, I need a smart phone or I'm ugly". Nice...

Yep, the "app" catalog for these things aren't too impressive, i considered moving down to a Verizon feature phone, but realized i'd miss the apps I use on Windows Mobile every day.

I don't like the unattractive bit myself either, it's not like there are only attractive people using smartphones/high end "dumbphones" believe me. :D
booboo12 on NBR :D ;)
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2009 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

Yeah god forbid somebody actually use their phone for umm you know a phone. Nooooooo. You need to get sports updates. You need to know if Barry Bonds scratched his ass in Bugsnort, Tennessee or The East Mudflap Plover Hens finally beat their dreaded rivals The WestBumblef**k Nomads at 43 man squamish and of course you must twitter because everybody and their mother needs to know your dog just farted. Oh yeah and you need a zillion ringtones, we can't have your mom having the same ringtone as your cat psychiatrist.

DIRTYD!!! That was freakin' hilarious! I'm sitting here at my desk laughing like a loon. Tears are forming in my eyes! Thanks for the laugh! Thumbs%20Up

As for this commercial, I hate it, too, but for a different reason. I'm not crazy about the disheveled schlub but I hate the "cutesy" couple even more. They're so smug about their stupid phones and brag about how this one plays a video game and how that one could be used as a dildo. Who the f*ck cares! By the way, I hope you enjoy paying through the nose because Verizon charges you for everything, even turning the phone on and taking it out of the package.
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 1:34am
*bows
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DolFan 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 2:03am
YOU GO DIRTYD AND MOOCHA!!! KEEP UP THE FIGHT AGAINST THE EVIL THAT IS TWITTER!!! DON'T GIVE UP!!! NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!! TWITTER MUST BE STOPPED!!!

Seriously, Twitter is the most superfluous use of technology in the history of humankind. And that's saying a *lot*.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic