Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hp Mini Laptop/Verizon Wireless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hp Mini Laptop/Verizon Wireless
    Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:54pm
Okay, I've held off long enough. It seems that no one here has ranted about this ad (I don't think; I've checked) so it's up to me. Wonderful! *rubs her hands together with glee*

I absolutely can't stand the commercial that has some smug a-hole sitting on a bench next to some red haired lady talking about his new hp Mini Laptop. The woman asks "Is that...?" and he cuts her off. This goes on for the entire commercial. She goes to say something about the laptop and he cuts her off and says what she's about to say. The end of the ad has her going "Are you - " and he goes "A mind reader? No." as he sits back with a self satisfied grin. Then she goes "I -" and the prick jumps in with "Wish you were me?"
But she looks at him and says "I'm getting one."

The nerve of that pretentious creep! Insinuating that the woman should wish she were like him just because of a stupid computer. And I hate the way he so smugly cuts her off every time she tries to ask a question. If I were in this ad, I would take his head and...oops! I forgot about the new rule. I'd take his head and smother it with sweet kisses while telling him how wonderful and clever he is for having such an ingenious device. DeadDead
Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 5:55pm
So you'd smother him, huh?  LOL
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2009 at 7:56pm
Maybe we can wish that another actor is hired and inserted in to the ad to kick him in the teeth and proceed to crush his larynx with his boot.

All while we sit as an audience and are offended!!!

(OH and the whole, "finish someone's sentence" gag pisses me off, in ads and in tv/movies, it is SO not clever)
jppuertorico85 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jppuertorico85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2009 at 7:44am

My beef w/ this ad is that it implies that laptops (ahem look @ that word again- LAPTOP) are not portable, or are clunky and hard to take on the go.  But that was the very reason they were invented vs. the desktop computer, no?  I for one wouldn't want a mini laptop anyway.  Seems like a silly product IMO.

Is visa really the only card accepted at [INSERT ANY SPORTING EVENT]???
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 5:00pm
I don't really like any of these Verizon ads. I think I won't use their products because their commercials annoy me too much.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
pcgh View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2009 at 7:19pm
What would make this ad better is if the Scottish guy from the Castrol commercials suddenly jumped in and whacked him with a dipstick LOL
That's a bleepin' dead alien body if I ever bleepin' saw one.
Ebola Guy View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ebola Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 2:34pm
My God, another recycled commercial.  Those lines are exactly the same in a Fiber One Cereal commercial.  Won't these ad makers get an original idea?
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2009 at 4:55am
The whole "interrupting" bit is old and tired.
What I hate more though is the volleying one another sentences and then saying the same sentence in unison together. Usually in sentimental moments where two people "connect"
This was a staple of sappy 90s shows like seventh heaven and the like
lb02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lb02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 6:51am
Did anyone notice the sexual insinuations?

Laptop's positioned in a questionable area (the commercial could've easily had taken place with the laptop on a table like at a cafe or something, but no, it's in his lap). Not trying to be racist, but we're all aware of the stereotype that black men are "well-endowed" so they're trying to dissuade you that as a man he has no reason to compensate for his size with material objects. 

it's practically saying "Smaller is better. You know you want one."
and by the end she's essentially brainwashed (not letting her question anything by cutting her off; he's force feeding her information) into wanting it.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by lb02 lb02 wrote:

Did anyone notice the sexual insinuations?

Laptop's positioned in a questionable area (the commercial could've easily had taken place with the laptop on a table like at a cafe or something, but no, it's in his lap). Not trying to be racist, but we're all aware of the stereotype that black men are "well-endowed" so they're trying to dissuade you that as a man he has no reason to compensate for his size with material objects. 

it's practically saying "Smaller is better. You know you want one."
and by the end she's essentially brainwashed (not letting her question anything by cutting her off; he's force feeding her information) into wanting it.
ConfusedSimply brilliant, lb02 - why didn't you just keep going? I was anxiously expecting your complaints about how the name 'LAPtop' came about...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
adnoxious View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adnoxious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 6:37pm
Can you imagine if you asked someone a simple question about their laptop and he replied with "Don't you wish you were me"?  What an antisocial jerk.  Are we supposed to like this guy?

http://adnoxious.blogspot.com
Taking aim at lousy advertising

JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 11:53am
I actually want one of those small laptops. Something that I can just keep with me, for on the go.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 12:30pm
My wife bought one and loves it....
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 12:40pm
WOW! So cool you own a laptop that is so hip...If this was 1998.
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
fishingmachine View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 7:58am
the worst part is these mini laptops are barely capable of browsing the web or holding a few hundred pictures, is it really worth it for a laptop that is 2 inches smaller?
Geezer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2009 at 2:52pm
The reason they're advertising these things so heavily, is because (surprise!!!) there's a bit of a nasty shock to your wallet when you go to get your $300 "Netbook" computer. The catch being of course, you must sign up for a 2 year contract for a wireless data plan to go with your netbook. Naturally, there are HUGE penalties for cancelling early. So yeah, you get a lil' laptop with a slow processor and a tiny hard drive, and you also get another bill for (I'm guessing) $70/month or more for the next two years. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic