Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Big Mouthed ORAJEL Woman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Mouthed ORAJEL Woman
    Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 3:24am
Why must we see people with HUGE MOUTHS AND TEETH  on commercials?   This woman is literally screeching about her "excrutiating" tooth pain and how a drop of Orajel glop cured it! I'd say if you have "excrutiating" tooth pain you need to get to the ER.  An abscess can kill you.   Confused
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Sponsored Links

Wayne Rooney View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Rooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 3:39am
Do you have a link to this ad or a video to post?  I agree that people really shouldn't ignore serious tooth issues, and that they can be very serious.  However, a lot of people don't have insurance and actually have to save up money to see the dentist, and will end up using products like orajel till they can manage to get proper medical care.  I am not saying this is what they should do - just that it is a fact of the world we live in.  I have very good dental insurance through work, and even mine has spending caps and certain necessary procedures are only partially covered.    And even if you can manage to get to a dentist, even the few hours till your appointment can be unbearable if a tooth has become infected, or you lost a filling or broke the tooth or something like that...  While orajel shouldn't be used in place of proper care - it is a good product to relieve pain till one can get help.

Can't assess the ad itself though, or the mouth sizes, as I've not seen it - unless you have a link for us.
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 3:45am
Believe me--if there were a current youtube up I'd have posted it. Wink  Will keep checking!  And I don't have dental insurance either so I know ORAJEL may be the only help for some.  BUT....I know plenty of insured wealthy people who just loathe dental visits.  And don't go.  I've actually  had tooth pain that made me howl with pain  and NO amount of a topical gel would have helped.  NO way. I think this ad may bring  much false hope!
Wayne Rooney View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Rooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 4:02am
Maybe they should put a disclaimer that it is to be used in an emergency (and may not be effective for severe pain) and is not a substitute for proper medical care...    Right, how likely is it they would be that honest?!?!

I know what you are saying....People can be like kids about the dentist. My assistant at work does it all the time.  SHe's got good insurance and yet she dreads the dentist so much she will wait till it is a real problem.  I get annoyed, but am sympathetic at the same time - going to the dentist can be a real ordeal, and I have some nasty anecdotes of incompetent quaks that made me not want to ever go again.   However, having been through exactly the agony you describe, I now make a point of going every 6 months!   Still - orajel was my friend when I was a poor college kid.
CIH FTW View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CIH FTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 9:01pm
Your talking about the loud annoying black woman, this commercial has possibly the worst editing ive seen in a commercial in a while. And what is she looking at when she says "ur done!"
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 2:42am
I don't have dental insurance, and I really need to go.  I have a tooth that was filled on all sides back in 1972, and last year it finally started to crumble, because I never got a crown for it (too expensive).  So occasionally I lose pieces of the tooth.  Thankfully, it's in the back, so it's not visible.  I've been extremely lucky so far, in that it hasn't exposed the nerve.

But my body's nervous system is such that I don't numb as easily as most people.  I really need the old-fashioned, block-style novocaine or procaine.  Unfortunately, it's rare to be able to find this stuff.  So I need to get repeated injections when I'm having oral work done.  Because I've experienced trauma over the years with dentists who told me things like, "Oh, you don't feel that!" (Huh?) and continued to hurt me, now I will only go to dentists who give nitrous oxide (laughing gas) in addition to lidocaine, because that relaxes me enough to let them work on me.

The dentist across the street from me used to take this "Smile Saver" insurance.  It wasn't great, but it was something.  But that program didn't pay for nitrous oxide, so I would pay for it myself.  That office charges $25.00 per half-hour of gas.  Now that they no longer take that insurance, I can't afford to go there.

Costco offers its members a comparable plan, but that dentist is not in the program.  There is another dental office a few blocks from me that is.  So I walked in there one day and asked if they give nitrous oxide, and how much.  They said yes, they have it.  And it's $97.00.  I said, "Excuse me?! Ninety-seven dollars?"  They said yes.  I walked out.

So...I'm in limbo right now.  I never minded going to the dentist if I got the gas and plenty of whatever-caine.  But now I don't know what to do. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 4:43pm
I never even knew that people could get novocaine for simple fillings until I was an adult.  Prior to that (and starting at the age of 4), I was getting my teeth drilled with absolutely no pain killer.  No novocaine, no gas, no topical---nothing!  When I was out on my own, I simply avoided the dentists except in the most painfully dire circumstances.  As a result, I eventually needed $16,000 worth of dental work.  And even then, I went only because it was becoming visible.  Luckily, my dental plan at work covered all of it except $2,000. 

I got lucky.  But I think my luck was what caused the company to subsequently downgrade their dental coverage.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 5:15pm
What kind of work did you have done that cost that much????

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 5:35pm
I went through a situation similar to Thor's, but my company had a $1,000 insurance benefit per year for dental.  It took years for my teeth to get fixed.

$16,000 worth of dental work isn't all that much, if you're talking about root canals and crowns.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

What kind of work did you have done that cost that much????

Crowns, caps, bridges, root canals, tunnels, levees---you name it.

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 5:46pm
LOL  Been there, done that!  I used to almost live at the dentist's office.  Almost all of my molars have white gold crowns.  

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 7:06pm
Blessed with good teeth.  No cavities at age 57. 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Blessed with good teeth.  No cavities at age 57. 

Bastard!  Bastard motherf*cker!  Angry

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 7:22pm
My teeth are good, but they're getting loose.

Receeding gums, deteriorating alveolar bone.

I'll probably have partial dentures in about ten years or so.

Or maybe just a full set.

I hear they're pretty affordable these days. 

No more dental issues.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 7:26pm
Yeah.  Gums and teeth are different problems.  I had both.  I used to be one of those faithful flosser types.  I'd floss till I bled.  I (and my dentist) think that was a mistake.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 7:29pm
I wish I'd known about 2 things 10 years earlier...

The benefits of rinsing your gums with an antiseptic mouthwash, & taking CoQ-10.

Amazing stuff.

One of the best things you can take for healthy gums.

C'mon, man!
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 1:14am
My teeth are fine....but my gums have gotta go! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic