Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Giant Cheetos!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giant Cheetos!?
    Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 7:57pm
First we had Giant Rice Crispies and now we have this:

one question, WHY?

why make a huge cheetos that can barely fit it in your mouth? WHY?

because you can do it? that's not a good enough answer!!

What's next? Giant Lucky Charms? Giant Doritos? Giant Hersheys? Giant Lollipops? WTF? Confused

oh #@!$ I should've shut my mouth I gave them more ideas!!Pinch

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 8:40pm

What's next?

This:

Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 9:19pm
I just hate how nasty they make these commercials. Peoples gaping mouths covered in cheetos dust. Don't they already have cheetos puffs, and aren't they basically the same thing as this? Cheetos' image has just gone down hill so much for me. Once Chester became an ugly puppet thing I gave up.
jonterry4 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonterry4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 3:45am
I don't even see the appeal in giant Cheetos. You're just getting more of the styrofoam-flavored middle unseasoned portion.
Ataraxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ataraxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

What's next? Giant Lucky Charms? Giant Doritos? Giant Hersheys? Giant Lollipops?

Been done.

And here's a picture of a random guy with one!

Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 1:28am
Have not seen the commercial yet for GIANT cheetos puffs...aren't they like enormous already...like the size of your thumb.  That size is good enough for me.

JonTerry....I saw a show on how they make these...they are actually made from corn and actually honest to god they use real cheese.  I felt a lot better after seeing how they make them...since I have always loved them from childhood.

But....in my office I had some packing peanuts and one of the Manufacturing managers here at work was telling me they were edible...and I said here have a whole box full....he then promptly put one in his mouth and ate it.....he said they were made from a edible starch...who knew...now you can eat your packing peanuts....(not advisable by me though)
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 1:31am
Those packing peanuts are fun.

They dissolve in water.

You can also use them to make fun sculptures, if you only use a little water to make them stick together.

Don't eat them, there's not cheese coating.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 1:39am

Hi Holly,

Yep the same guy who ate them showed me how they disolved in water...who knew?Clown
athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 1:45am
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

What's next?

This:

and this

Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 2:00am
OH is this not but the American dream to become fat asses even faster with less work ?
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 8:17pm
I thought the American dream was American Idol....lol...lol....lol....lolLOL
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 10:22pm
Love fatty cheesy salties and salty cheesy fatties! Tongue  But I have to be careful or I'd be in line to buy a pair of those super-sized underpants! Here's an idea of just how "giant" these are:

"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
CelphaFiael View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CelphaFiael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 1:22am
I absolutely love these commercials. Why? In short, for precisely all the reasons already mentioned above. In long, you'll have to keep reading, but I've already condensed the conclusions in the "in short" take just then, so only read this very long entry if you just want a bit more philosophical justification for it.

Absurd advertising--and these giant cheetos commercials are patently absurd in style--does one thing very very well: it gets your attention. Not only on a surface level with its images but also on a deeper psychological and perhaps slightly biological level. The mind is immediately (though perhaps just initially) fascinated with what it does not recognize or understand: the discomfort of uncertainty is the engine and fuel of all inquiry and belief. This fascination is amplified by the exclusivity of the television screen: if you have the tv on, you are most likely watching it. To the marketing team, this means that you--in the sense that you are a potential customer--are essentially waiting to allow your full attention to be redirected to their product. They're in line and it will soon be their turn. The commercial probablistically already has your attention by the time it begins (as do all commercials). The averted response to absurdism you may exhibit to stimuli of a more peripheral and less concentrated dose is therefore not a problem to the team, and the commercial can proceed confidently from start to finish. Edit: Which is to say, they don't need to try to start off convincing you of the product's importance.

Unfortunately for our confused minds, the commercial's logic (or lack thereof) is designed very intentionally such that this search of the brain for a rational coherent narrative is doomed to futility. If this wasn't so, the commercial wouldn't be absurd, it would be like most of our experiences--which is to say, it would be less notable and effectively more unmemorable.

The absurd style of writing commercials is, irrespective to these true-to-the-style and perfect delivery of these cheetos ones, such a relief to those of us (aka all you) who are tired and almost insulted at the disingenuous, plastic, and particularly inaccurate portrayal of human conversation and interaction seen in the average commercial.

By bending speech and intensive to stimulate the desire for their product, the companies which deliver these plastic commercials indirectly demand of our intellect a similar bend which starts with and ends on the knees. (Do not bow to the comfort of intellectual apathy, it is all the commercials need to achieve to turn you into more of a robot than the remote you hold in your hand.)

The point of all this is to say that the absurdist style doesn't even try to get involved with this disingenuous-ness. It is almost as if the commercials say, "Listen, we both know well that Chester is here to sell you a product which, by definition in a capitalist economy, means you are more or less (but certainly to some degree) paying more for it than we did. Let's cut the bullsh*t: Profit is how it must work. So let us give you something worthwhile and artistically appreciable. You give us money and part of that is we give you interesting things, made by that money."

Seeing everyone else squirm under the absurdity makes the experience all the sweeter.

Having said all that, giant cheetoes as a product doesn't seem to work as well as what the advertising team did with it. (But maybe that's just another testament to their greatness...aren't commercials supposed to make the products they advertise better than what you'll get out of it?) Also, it is undoubted that the majority of people who see the commercial will not invest the proper thought required to delight in the commercial's intellectual subtleties (it's just a freakin commercial). So while it is a truly genius advertisement on the part of the team creatively speaking, it might not be the smartest one economically speaking. Commercials serve companies best when they engage a majority, not a minority.

This is entirely too long, so stop reading if you're tired of this because what I just simply cannot resist mentioning next is not essential to the argument I've brought in favor of the giant cheeto advertising genius. But it is really does make the victory of the commercials all the cooler. What I have to talk about is Mr. Chester himself in these commercials. Cartoon chester doesn't fit at all with this new style because things are more absurd the more human they can be. Thus chester becomes more real; 3 dimensional and colored realistically. A puppet is the only way to achieve this. The fact that the puppet's mouth only quasi-mimics its words overlayed adds to the strangeness in an almost creepy way. But any creepiness experienced watching the means by which his voice is produced is immediately converted into fascination when hearing the soothing coolness of the actual voice produced. British, is it? In any case, it certainly denotes a superior intelligence which is only matched in expansiveness by said intelligence's reputation with others. This is the kind of man who has, at minimum, a Ph.D and a Nobel Prize in his office and who quietly socializes with a select few at intellectual gatherings when out of his office. These sequences are very much like science tests, we perhaps subconsciously note. What happens here, the world takes note. The absurdity of this juxtaposition; the once-cartoony Chester Cheetah combined with the most serious of intellectual enterprises.

When watching the commercials again with a renewed/discovered appreciation, don't forget to note the strangely relevant yet still absurd phrases the writers give Chester Cheetah. That is all, I'll work on condensing the commentary. Maybe I'll use video as the medium of my discussion here instead of text.

Dedicated to propagating a deeper respect for truly good commercials in a truly expansive wasteland of sh*tty ones,
Celpha Fiael

So in conclusion Budweiser, my urine also has drinkability.

www.youtube.com/user/celphafiael
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 1:39am
Originally posted by CelphaFiael CelphaFiael wrote:

I absolutely love these commercials. Why? In short, for precisely all the reasons already mentioned above. In long, you'll have to keep reading, but I've already condensed the conclusions in the "in short" take just then, so only read this very long entry if you just want a bit more philosophical justification for it.

Absurd advertising--and these giant cheetos commercials are patently absurd in style--does one thing very very well: it gets your attention. Not only on a surface level with its images but also on a deeper psychological and perhaps slightly biological level. The mind is immediately (though perhaps just initially) fascinated with what it does not recognize or understand: the discomfort of uncertainty is the engine and fuel of all inquiry and belief. This fascination is amplified by the exclusivity of the television screen: if you have the tv on, you are most likely watching it. To the marketing team, this means that you--in the sense that you are a potential customer--are essentially waiting to allow your full attention to be redirected to their product. They're in line and it will soon be their turn. The commercial probablistically already has your attention by the time it begins (as do all commercials). The averted response to absurdism you may exhibit to stimuli of a more peripheral and less concentrated dose is therefore not a problem to the team, and the commercial can proceed confidently from start to finish.

Unfortunately for our confused minds, the commercial's logic (or lack thereof) is designed very intentionally such that this search of the brain for a rational coherent narrative is doomed to futility. If this wasn't so, the commercial wouldn't be absurd, it would be like most of our experiences--which is to say, it would be less notable and effectively more unmemorable.

The absurd style of writing commercials is, irrespective to these true-to-the-style and perfect delivery of these cheetos ones, such a relief to those of us (aka all you) who are tired and almost insulted at the ingenuine, plastic, and particularly inaccurate portrayal of human conversation and interaction seen in the average commercial.

By bending speech and insentive to stimulate the desire for their product, the companies which deliver these plastic commercials indirectly demand of our intellect a similar bend which starts with and ends on the knees. (Do not bow to the comfort of intellectual apathy, it is all the commericals need to achieve to turn you into more of a robot than the remote you hold in your hand.)

The point of all this is to say that the absurdist style doesn't even try to get involved with this ingenuine-ness. It is almost as if the commercials say, "Listen, we both know well that Chester is here to sell you a product which, by definition in a capitalist economy, means you are more or less (but certainly to some degree) paying more for it than we did. Let's cut the bullsh*t: Profit is how it must work. So let us give you something worthwhile and artistically appreciable. You give us money and part of that is we give you interesting things, made by that money."

Seeing everyone else squirm under the absurdity makes the experience all the sweeter.

Having said all that, giant cheetoes as a product doesn't seem to work as well as what the advertising team did with it. (But maybe that's just another testament to their greatness...aren't commercials supposed to make the products they advertise better than what you'll get out of it?) Also, it is undoubtable that the majority of people who see the commercial will not invest the proper thought required to delight in the commercial's intellectual subtleties (it's just a freakin commercial). So while it is a truly genius advertisement on the part of the team creatively speaking, it might not be the smartest one economically speaking. Commercials serve companies best when they engage a majority, not a minority.

This is entirely too long, so stop reading if you're tired of this because what I just simply cannot resist mentioning next is not essential to the argument I've brought in favor of the giant cheeto advertising genius. But it is really does make the victory of the commercials all the cooler. What I have to talk about is Mr. Chester himself in these commercials. Cartoon chester doesn't fit at all with this new style because things are more absurd the more human they can be. Thus chester becomes more real; 3 dimensional and colored realistically. A puppet is the only way to achieve this. The fact that the puppet's mouth only quasi-mimics its words overlayed adds to the strangeness in an almost creepty way. But any creepiness experienced watching the means by which his voice is produced is immediately converted into fascination when hearing the soothing coolness of the actual voice produced. British, is it? In any case, it certainly denotes a superior intelligence which is only matched in expansiveness by said intelligence's reputation with others. This is the kind of man who has, at minimum, a Ph.D and a Nobel Prize in his office and who quiety socializes with a select few at intellectual gatherings when out of his office. These sequences are very much like science tests, we perhaps subconsciously note. What happens here, the world takes note. The absurdity of this juxtaposition; the once-cartoony Chester Cheetah combined with the most serious of intellectual enterprises.

When watching the commercials again with a renewed/discovered appreciation, don't forget to note the strangely relevant yet still absurd phrases the writers give Chester Cheetah. That is all, I'll work on condensing the commentary. Maybe I'll use video as the medium of my discussion here instead of text.

Dedicated to propagating a deeper respect for truly good commercials in a truly expansive wasteland of sh*tty ones,
Celpha Fiael

WOW that was a lot to read.

A LOT

I have to do some thinking now.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 3:49am
I'm not going to lie, I think you over analyzed this ad a bit.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 4:04am
Now that they have giant Cheetos, I'm waiting for the next 'big' thing;  A pork rind made from a single deep-fried pig.... LOL
DreamHack497 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamHack497 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 6:20am
GIANT cheetos, not so much a fan of.

Watching the commercial just makes me want to buy cheese pringles.
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 10:27pm
They're probably leftover misshapen Cheetos from the Frito-Lay plant, and there were so many of them that some employee there said, "Hey, why don't we sell these?" LOL
I first saw them at the store... The picture on the bag makes them look as big as tennis balls! And there was no see-through plastic to give you a better idea of how big they actually are. Pretty stupid way to sell them.
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 12:21am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Now that they have giant Cheetos, I'm waiting for the next 'big' thing;  A pork rind made from a single deep-fried pig.... LOL

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA Mr. Tim...that made me laugh bigtime!

I remember being down at the pier and some Oriental man was frying up these shrimp crisps....they were gianormous.....I don't that little place is around anymore...but I have never forgotten it.  5 times bigger than these below

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 1:58am
Originally posted by DreamHack497 DreamHack497 wrote:

GIANT cheetos, not so much a fan of.

Watching the commercial just makes me want to buy cheese pringles.

Well you know that Pringles actually started their lives as tennis balls.  Then some genius at the factory said "HEY!! Let's bag the tennis balls idea and make some potato chips!!"

WinkLOL
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic