Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swine Flu - outbreak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 6:06pm
It should also be noted that the virus IS responding to treatment in most cases (obviously this does not prevent the spread of the virus). One death has occurred in the US so far (unfortunately, a three-year old just this morning), but all of the other deaths have been in Mexico. Word is that the officials down there don't quite know what they're doing (insert tasteless punch line here), and those deaths were the result of doctors administering medicine improperly-either something got 'tainted' with other samples, or somebody just screwed up the dosages.
Bottom line...stay the f**king hell out of Mexico if you were still planning to go. And for everybody else who can't follow the simple suggestions/precautions Faith mentioned ...if you have flu symptoms, STAY HOME unless you're a dire emergency case.
f**k your job, f**k running errands, f**k your regular routine. Just stay home, and keep your open-mouthed coughs and your inability to wash hands to yourself. Everybody else's health is more important than you dragging your coughing and sneezing ass to Subway to drip snot on your five-dollar foot long. You know who you are.
The most prevalent 'symptom' in outbreaks like this is stupidity.
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 6:12pm
How did this illness not get to be called the "Irishman" flu, or the "BrianO" flu?

Because as we all know, those are just alternate names for "swine" & "pig".

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 6:22pm
Hey, Jimbo.

This is a serious conversation.  Can you keep the insults to the political threads in your Jungle? Sheesh, can you talk about ANYTHING without spewing venom at people?

And, Thor, the news stories I've seen have said that those masks do nothing.  You'd need a chemical warfare/gas mask to prevent the spread of the germs.

meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 6:24pm
These are the symptoms of swine flu:  fever, usually over 100 degrees, with flu-like symptoms such as feeling sluggish, drained of energy, cough, sore throat, headache, chills, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  Symptoms usually appear within 7 days after exposure to sick pigs or people with swine flu.
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 6:53pm
personal attacks in Flame Room

swine flu talk in here.
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 6:55pm
Oh, just ban him, otherwise he'll never get the message.
If we're lucky, he'll catch it before the end of the school year, anyway.
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 8:08pm
Really Jimbo, was that really necessary? Irishman was making a good point and said nothing offensive. Can't you stop being a jerk for five minutes?

This swine flu is going to turn us all into germaphobes. I'm not going to go around washing my hands every three minutes. Nothing will get done and I'll end up with extremely chapped, dry hands.

Not to sound like a doomsday bastion but don't you think that this is a punishment of some sort? Like God is telling us "I've warned you enough! Prepare for my wrath!" Doesn't the Bible talk about stuff like this?
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Really Jimbo, was that really necessary? Irishman was making a good point and said nothing offensive. Can't you stop being a jerk for five minutes?

This swine flu is going to turn us all into germaphobes. I'm not going to go around washing my hands every three minutes. Nothing will get done and I'll end up with extremely chapped, dry hands.

Not to sound like a doomsday bastion but don't you think that this is a punishment of some sort? Like God is telling us "I've warned you enough! Prepare for my wrath!" Doesn't the Bible talk about stuff like this?

No.  It'll be punishment enough if you get the flu because you didn't wash your hands.  But I don't think that will be from God.  It'll be from whatever you touched before you didn't wash your hands.

gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 9:13pm
   The awful truth of this burgeoning nightmare is that the onset symptoms are no different than those of any other virus, cold, sinus infection. etc. The whole feeling is reminiscent of movie pandemonium with the exception of it being a movie.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 9:21pm
We're not taking this lightly at all.
We've basically banned travel to Mexico, for now; we've a lot of folks there...and we're actually trying to strategize on how to temporarily close a few offices and keep people at home, at a few other locations - including TWO (2) within the U.S. of Americo...everyone will start seeing a LOT more of this while others laugh about masks and snotty palms.

Throught the organization today, everyone got LARGE containers of industrial-strength germicidial disposable wipes.

...and way up here in our little pocket  of the Great White North, 2 people were confirmed with the virus, today.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 9:34pm
I'm already seeing some discrepancies in published reports of 'confirmed' as opposed to 'suspected' cases.
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 9:36pm
      We cancelled our family trip to Mexico a few days ago, which is disappointing because it is the only location that we can go to as a family without arguing. Besides being disturbing, it is very sad. What did these poor people do to incur this constant wrath? The Mexican bashing is already flourishing where I live. Ironically from the same people that celebrate Cinco de Mayo by getting drunk on cerveza, frequent every Mexican food  establishment and have pinata parties for their children, but have no idea of Aztec culture, Diego Rivera, Frihda Kahlo, etc.
   There is really nothing funny about suffering and disease. We'll see how funny it is when something catastrophic grown in our own country emigrates to other populations.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 9:37pm
BREAKING NEWS

WHO (no not the Who) has raised the level to Level 5 which means a pandemic is imminent.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/29/swine.flu/index.html

we're #@!*ed.

I probably won't go out much anywhere because of this.

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 9:42pm
132 confirmed cases so far.
Thousands of suspected cases.
Millions sh*tting themselves because they don't know the difference between 'confirmed' and 'suspected'.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 10:37pm
BrianO, I see your point.

Kind of...

There are a few cases that have been in the news today, near me.  Two kids in Lowell, MA have tested positive, but they're recovering at home and are said to be in good condition.  Two other kids in Spencer, MA who vacationed in Cancun last week, and are sick, have tested negative.

However - if you know anyone who works in a hospital near you, they may tell you this is a big deal.  This flu is being taken very seriously by the medical professionals, not just the media.

Meanwhile, a boy in my daughter's class vacationed in Mexico last week.  He's one of those kids with particularly gross personal habits: has his hands in his mouth constantly, picks his nose freely, and has a tendency to spit.  Am I worried?  Honestly, yes.  I'm also worried about all the other possible exposure she or anyone else in my family may have that we don't even know about.

So YES we're Purell'ing the hell out of our hands at every opportunity, washing our hands, and staying away from anyone who coughs.   Better safe than sorry.

Oh, and what else stinks: a lot of people are suffering from seasonal allergies; sneezing, coughing, looking ill....
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 11:37pm
A lot of the 'confirmed' cases have already recovered, or are in the process of recovering.
Others will turn out to have the 'seasonal' sickness, instead. That doesn't make for an exciting headline, though.
Too bad for Mexico, and the tourism industry, I guess, but, realistically...it's not as if Mexico is the only vacation spot to get sunburn/indigestion/a hangover/casual sex/whatever other reasons people vacation in Mexico.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 11:43pm
...another nice little bookmark for this topic.

This swine influenza A (H1N1) virus is sensitive (susceptible) to the neuraminidase inhibitor antiviral medications zanamivir and oseltamivir.   <<---guess we know what to ask for, if we feel REALLY sick...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

Oh, and what else stinks: a lot of people are suffering from seasonal allergies; sneezing, coughing, looking ill....

You are so right about that. Yesterday I was on the subway going to work and my allergies were raging. I was sneezing and sniffling all over the place. It was the same today, too. When people saw that, they inched away from me. People were staring. I felt embarrassed because it doesn't seem like anyone else around me is suffering like I am.

Faith - I am one of the cleanest people you'll ever meet. I don't touch doorknob or door handles with my bare hands; I wipe down my station at work with alcohol every time; I wash my hands even if I thought something dirty touched me. The only way this thing will get me is if some dirty person sneezes or coughs on me. Or am I supposed to be paranoid like everyone else and walk around in a hypoallergenic bubble while wearing a spacesuit? Puh-LEEZE!

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

You are so right about that. Yesterday I was on the subway going to work and my allergies were raging. I was sneezing and sniffling all over the place. It was the same today, too. When people saw that, they inched away from me. People were staring. I felt embarrassed because it doesn't seem like anyone else around me is suffering like I am.

Faith - I am one of the cleanest people you'll ever meet. I don't touch doorknob or door handles with my bare hands; I wipe down my station at work with alcohol every time; I wash my hands even if I thought something dirty touched me. The only way this thing will get me is if some dirty person sneezes or coughs on me. Or am I supposed to be paranoid like everyone else and walk around in a hypoallergenic bubble while wearing a spacesuit? Puh-LEEZE!

Well, gee, Mooch, if you'd said that in the first place.  It sounds like you already take precautions. So what was the big deal?
gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 12:18am
 Dirty people sneezing on you? This thing has nothing to do with personal hygeine. People coming back from a vacation or just unfortunate enough to get sick aren't necessarily dirty. I have chronic allergies too that are part of my daily life. If I contracted the flu, the early stages wouldn't seem any different than what I've come to believe is the norm. I'm immaculate, but not exempt from catching or spreading a virus.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 4:49am
...to think it has come to THIS...
(actually, should be common sense).

"NO swapping spit" 
Guess this means 'nose-kisses' are definitely out.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 7:04am
Wow.Shocked

'JokeTime' over, Kids! - 1.52 A.M...

Mexico orders economic shutdown; pandemic imminent.

gail View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 7:10am

Ya think?
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 7:13am
Si.
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 8:14pm

WHAT PISSES ME OFF...is that I came down with the flu on April 8th...and no word or nothing about this was out there...I had several days where I was sick as a dog, with tummy hurting and diareaha ....there was no going crazy in the USA when I was laying in bed sick.  I still am coughing and still have mild diarehea.  When is CNN or any other news outlet going to interview me.....I REALLY HATE ALL THIS COVERAGE...where were they 2 weeks ago when I caught it.  Besides I think our flu strain has morphed into something a lot less severe than the Mexico cases.

Okay rant overDead
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic