Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toni BRAG-ston self congratulatory autism PSA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toni BRAG-ston self congratulatory autism PSA
    Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 4:41am
I'd barely ever even heard of Toni Braxton before this recent PSA she's doing about child autism started airing.

The ad starts out with a picture of the gas station she was working at as a teen when she was discovered while her voice narrates a list of all her accomplishments & the astronomical odds against of each one happening, as various pictures of her fade in & out.

After she goes on & on for awhile about all her awards & success & how great she seems to think she is, at the very end, she finally identifies herself as the speaker, then actually manages to say a few words about child autism.

For most the ad, you think you're listening to a commercial for Toni Braxton.

Personally, I couldn't give two sh*ts about Toni BRAG-ston.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 7:07pm

I think that whole PSA is not about autism but rather about being an egomanical pantload.

Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 8:30pm
I've never liked her. Her voice just isn't that great. Sometimes I think she's just one of those people that the media says everybody likes, while no one actually does.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 8:38pm
I had heard the name before, but had no idea whatsoever who she was.

I thought she was some early 80's new wave type singer.

I think I was mentally associating her name with Toni Basil.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

I think that whole PSA is not about autism but rather about being an egomanical pantload.

C'mon, man!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 10:30pm
blegh, narcissistic bitch WTF does this have to do with Autism anyway? This isn't the f**king Academy Awards or the Grammys this is a f**king PSA a Public Service Announcement it's for the damn public not your stupid ego. Thumbs%20Down

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 10:46pm
Maybe she's autistic. Who knows...
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
fruitbooter View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fruitbooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Yutolia Yutolia wrote:

Maybe she's autistic. Who knows...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 11:36pm
Just out of curiosity, I searched Toni Braxton and autism on Google....

here's what I came up with:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Toni+Braxton+autism+&btnG=Search

she should've mentioned her son had autism in the PSA...
athomas917 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athomas917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Just out of curiosity, I searched Toni Braxton and autism on Google....

here's what I came up with:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Toni+Braxton+autism+&btnG=Search

she should've mentioned her son had autism in the PSA...

She does and her son is in the PSA.

I've always thought she could sing pretty good.  She has an unusually deep singing voice for a female of here stature as she is only around 5'1.

I question her mindset because in the early and mid 90's when she released her best material, she tended to be somewhat of a feminist in the tone of her songs, especially her first album with a bunch of songs about men leaving her.  She could have been the spokesperson for Lifetime tv.Cool
Stacy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 6:39pm
Another thing that jars me in this spot is that Toni  keeps saying "THUH odds" instead of "THEE odds". I was taught that before a vowel sound, "THE" should be pronounced with a long e. Doesn't anybody learn this anymore? ConfusedI can't stand hearing "THUH air", "THUH odds", "THUH earth", etc.  It's very hard on the ears.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 2:27am
I've actually never heard that before, but as long as something about that ad annoys you, then I'm with you all the way!!! Wink 

C'mon, man!
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 2:59am
Originally posted by athomas917 athomas917 wrote:

I question her mindset because in the early and mid 90's when she released her best material, she tended to be somewhat of a feminist in the tone of her songs, especially her first album with a bunch of songs about men leaving her.  She could have been the spokesperson for Lifetime tv.Cool

I always found her songs depressing, especially "Breathe Again". 

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 3:50pm
I found that one really irritating. It seemed to be on the radio 24 hours a day, too!Angry
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by athomas917 athomas917 wrote:

It's funny that you mention that. She appeared on the scene around 1994, when I was in high school and I remember there was a huge rumor going around that she was a lesbian. Maybe they all heard the subliminal messages in her songs, too. It certainly threw everyone for a loop when she got married and had a baby.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 12:45am
Sorry I didn't realize she mentioned her son, I couldn't tell because my speakers still have no sound.

But STILL for the sake of the subject of the PSA her son having Autism should have been at THE CENTER of the ad, not a little thing mentioned there after at the end,like an afterthought.

The meaning of the ad shouldn't be Tony Braxton and her struggles, it SHOULD be her son who has Autism because this ad is SUPPOSED to be a about Autism.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 2:26am

But STILL for the sake of the subject of the PSA her son having Autism should have been at THE CENTER of the ad, not a little thing mentioned there after at the end,like an afterthought.

The meaning of the ad shouldn't be Tony Braxton and her struggles, it SHOULD be her son who has Autism because this ad is SUPPOSED to be a about Autism.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon, man!
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I think I was mentally associating her name with Toni Basil.

UGH! DeadDeadDead
One of the most annoying songs ever made!
Even when it first came out and I was like 10 years old I wanted to shoot myself in the head whenever I heard it.
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2009 at 10:40pm
is that the song that starts out with "Hey Micky! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!"?

If it is I can't STAND it!Angry

catniplover View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catniplover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 5:37am

Do you have a child with Autism, or on the Autism spectrum?  These issues affect (effect? argh.) the whole family, not JUST the child.  You can't say it's just about the child when it's the parent who has to see the signs of the disorder (which is what she says at the end).

I believe the point of the ad was to say how she's done all these "against the odds" things and having a child with autism is pretty "normal"...but yeah,  I agree that the autism should have been brought up sooner.  Sigh.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 5:44am
We realize that autism affects the whole family, but this commercial was more a PSA about Toni and how everything is about her, when if your doing something about your child having autism, it shouldn't be 90% how mom deals with it and then 10% about the child. It shouldn't be I'm Toni Braxton, look at all the odds I beat winning grammys, but I have a kid who has autism, I deal with it, I'm raising awareness, it's all about me and my struggles. It should have gone "I'm Toni Braxton and this is my son, he has autism. He's a great kid and I wouldn't have it any other way, he's the light of my life. Austim affects everyone." Focus should be less on her, and more about her son, and her as the afterthought.
catniplover View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catniplover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 5:47am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

We realize that autism affects the whole family, but this commercial was more a PSA about Toni and how everything is about her, when if your doing something about your child having autism, it shouldn't be 90% how mom deals with it and then 10% about the child. It shouldn't be I'm Toni Braxton, I have a kid who has autism, I deal with it, I'm raising awareness, it's all about me and my struggles. It should have gone "I'm Toni Braxton and this is my son, he has autism. He's a great kid and I wouldn't have it any other way, he's the light of my life. Austim affects everyone." Focus should be less on her, and more about her son, and her as the afterthought.

Yeah, I see this point.  I don't see her as evil incarnate though, lol.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 5:48am
Originally posted by catniplover catniplover wrote:

Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

We realize that autism affects the whole family, but this commercial was more a PSA about Toni and how everything is about her, when if your doing something about your child having autism, it shouldn't be 90% how mom deals with it and then 10% about the child. It shouldn't be I'm Toni Braxton, I have a kid who has autism, I deal with it, I'm raising awareness, it's all about me and my struggles. It should have gone "I'm Toni Braxton and this is my son, he has autism. He's a great kid and I wouldn't have it any other way, he's the light of my life. Austim affects everyone." Focus should be less on her, and more about her son, and her as the afterthought.

Yeah, I see this point.  I don't see her as evil incarnate though, lol.

Evil incarnate no, little bit oblivious to her boastfulness, yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic