Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Number one movie of the year.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kajeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Number one movie of the year.
    Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 3:50am
I hate how movie commercials are always saying they are the number one movie of the year and the year is not even over Angry.
"If we don't watch the commercials it's like were stealing tv"- Homer Simpson
Sponsored Links

Herper View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 4:12am
Yeah, it seems like they all say that.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 4:21am
same here...
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 4:28am
Well, "Gran Torino" was my #1...
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 9:53am
The one that really bothered me was for the movie Fireproof. The announcer says it's "the number 1 inspirational movie in America". From my knowledge, it's the only inspirational movie in America!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 10:19am
Wouldn't that make it '#1 by default', Moochy?Wink
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jack View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Fomerly Takeikin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 10:43am
Hey, you've got to love things like "Best comedy movie this year" in February. They never catch it before it goes public.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 2:30pm
I think a lot of movie critics will really play up a particular movie just so that their particular little comment will be used in the ad for the movie.  I'm sure there was at least one critic willing to call Mariah Carey's Glitter "a fun romp" (or whatever it might have been trying to be), just to get his name in the ad.

Of course, in that case, it might've backfired.  I hear it was bad.

SexxyMichelle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Lexxy Welles again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexxyMichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 5:41pm
And anyone ever notice how those "Democratic Newspapers" always hail every movie that comes out before we ever see them? Like, The Los Angeles Times say its the best comedy all year!!! New York Times Is raving over this Romantic Comedy, Rolling Stone Gives it a Thumbs Up!! and the old and annoying "Critics Are Laughing Their Weeners Off" Nonsense.
They must think we are all a bunch of four year old babies who will laugh at anything we see on TV.
emrys927 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Rest in Peace

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emrys927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 6:54pm
In the last decade, I'd say that I've seen reviews/trailers for maybe five films I'd be at least somewhat interested in seeing.  Hollywood seems to be putting out a lot of garbage that hasn't even been worth my consideration.  Now a lot of emphasis is being put on independent filmmakers and I haven't really seen anything interesting from them, either.  "Slumdog Millionaire"?  I'll pass.  If I want to see a good dance musical, I'll go rent "The King and I".

Further, I don't put a lot of faith into reviews or the reviewers.  I've seen too many movies labeled, "Comedy of the year..."  only to find it snore-worthy and unlaughable.  Same with dramas, horror and just about anything else they can throw out there.  I can't remember which movie it was (which just goes to show what trash it was) but Honey brought it home with him telling me it was touted the best drama/mystery.  20 minutes in, I was falling asleep and we just ended up taking it out of the player and returning it.   I'm just plain disgusted with the industry as a whole at this point. 

And to the reviewers hanging on those golden coattails just to get their names out in the papers as reviewers...try some honesty.
A woman is like tea bag. You never know how strong she'll get until she's in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt
SexxyMichelle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater
Lexxy Welles again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexxyMichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 7:06am
WOW !! a movie about a bunch of guys trying to pick up sexy babes like me!!! THATS SO ORIGINAL !!! What Next? A Movie about a high profile kidnapping with a hero and lots of explosions? here's a good idea. why not make a movie about a derranged cereal who eats coocoo for coacoa puffs and kills total strangers and usually walks around in public with a 14 inch kitchen knife. NOW THATS ORIGINAL !!!!! I would give up Liver and Turnips just see that movie !!!
BDrums1971 View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2009 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Kajeet Kajeet wrote:

I hate how movie commercials are always saying they are the number one movie of the year and the year is not even over Angry.

Yea, Kajeet, I have noticed this for Y E A R S!! It kills me how they can say this movie is the best comedy of the year when it's only March!!! Been doin it for years. As far as all the "glowing" praise used to support some of these horrible movies, it's really sickening. All you have to do is find one or two "reviewers", and cut apart a sentence to get a "soundbyte", and there you go. Doesn't matter that the movie sucks! I find, the more glowing reviews a movie gets, the worse the movie is. If a movie is good, people will find out and see it regardless of the stupid reviews. It's the sh*tty movies that need propping up with these glowing "reviews".

You ever notice the same goes for books? I have read some crappy books, and you look on the back cover and it says something like "so good, I had to stay up all nite to finish it", or " (the author) is the best up and coming author of this year." Crap like that. And you know the book sucks, cause you just read it!! You just can't trust any reviews for movies or tv or books anymore, hell maybe you never could!! Wink  As the late great George Carlin said..."It's all bullsh*t!!!!!"  He's so right.
The Last Brain Left View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Last Brain Left Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 6:23pm

That's nothing. Selective quoting of reviews is even worse. A critic could say that the movie "doesn't fail to disappoint" and the commercial could say that it "doesn't fail". If you see a commercial containing movie critic quotes which are overwhelmingly one or two words, that's a red flag.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill
CIH FTW View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CIH FTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2009 at 6:35pm
Get this, the commercial for Hannah Montana, a critic said this

"BY FAR THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR"

WUBBLE WHAT!?
Kajeet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kajeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 12:51am
Originally posted by CIH FTW CIH FTW wrote:

WUBBLE WHAT!?
Another thing I hate about the Hannah Montana movie commercial they say "the movie you grew up with". This show has only been for two f*cking years how,could you grow up with it? It's not like this show has been out for 10 years.Angry
"If we don't watch the commercials it's like were stealing tv"- Homer Simpson
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 2:56pm
They say that about all the CGI-matic movies they're spewing out! 
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
CIH FTW View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CIH FTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 6:52pm

Originally posted by CIH FTW CIH FTW wrote:

WUBBLE WHAT!?
Another thing I hate about the Hannah Montana movie commercial they say "the movie you grew up with". This show has only been for two f*cking years how,could you grow up with it? It's not like this show has been out for 10 years.Angry

Haha I know, its funny f*ckin Miley Cyrus hasnt even been alive for more than 10 years! This movie is gonna make so much cash flow because of these little tweens who wanna be sluts before the age of 18 WOOHOO!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2009 at 5:24pm
According to reviewers The Hanna Montana movie and Fast & Furious are BOTH #1 movie in America. that CAN'T be right!Wacko
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2009 at 12:53am
It's sad that they have totally lost sight of what a block-buster trully Picture of the Year should be!  It seems they cannot write movies worth their salt these days.  If they are so short of good stock, why don't they make some movies out of fantastic classics or novels or historical figures or events?  I would love to see 'Wuthering Heights' redone, or a sci-fi I read by Robert Heinlein...'Stranger in a Strange Land'
plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
QueenofAnvilania View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenofAnvilania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2009 at 8:23pm
First of all, "Hannah Montana" totally sucks and Miley Cyrus has made her self eligable to be made fun of for months at the Kids Choice Awards when she cried like a retarded baby, whining something along the lines of, "I thought I was *sob* going to *sob* LOSE! I *sob* know this isn't a Grammy, but *sob; sob* this award is from YOU!"

Second, if you want a good movie that probably should have been the #1 movie of last year, go rent "WALL-E". Yeah, it may be Pixar, but, wow, it was good....saw it twice in theaters, too.
BDrums1971 View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 4:48am
I hear now that movie promoters are getting in trouble because these so called reviewers are totally made up. There is no such person, it was just made up by the promoters. I think maybe the same goes for books...not sure, and maybe tv shows.

Anyway, these "glowing" "best of the year" comments aren't even real! Remember when tv and movies were actually good?
Grant View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2009 at 5:02pm
To me, gushy talk about entertainment isn't any more full of cliches than negative talk about it, it's just that negative cliches get away with it a lot more often. For instance, when someone (not just a professional critic) is panning something and has the need to use these words, I tune them out :
"Has-been"
"B," "C" or "D-List"
"Hopelessly dated"
"Cheesy"
That last one has become the all-out biggest catch-word with horror and SF in particular, and it's become such a huge catch-word that it makes me wonder how people would criticize bad SF if cheese had never been invented! (As crazy as I am about MST3K, I actually mute the theme song just to hear that word less often.)
Anyway, I'm not saying these words are never right, I'm saying they've become as hackneyed as any words of the "thumbs up" kind. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic